Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Thanks, will look into it later!

No problem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Nenonen posted:

Brazil's president Lula da Silva went off during the weekend about hosting the next G20 summit that Putin will be able to come there safely even though Brazil is a member of ICC, because as the president he will guarantee Pol Put's immunity. Now he's already walked back his promises, saying that it's the justice system's call, not his administration's and he's going to look into why the hell Brazil even is in ICC :allears:

"Sir, your political opponents could use this as an excuse to arrest you."
"Wha-? Er, tell Putin that maybe he should stay home then. Also what's the ICC again?"

In oil and gas platform news, I would be surprised if Ukraine stays there. They'd need to dedicate air defenses to protect any powerful radars, which makes its own complications. I could see them leaving less expensive sensors there. I could be wrong, though: as the US Navy found out during the Tanker War, oil and gas rigs are quite resilient to damage.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
just on some really basic human level I can think of almost nothing more terrifying to assault/hold than a fuckin oil platform

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

just on some really basic human level I can think of almost nothing more terrifying to assault/hold than a fuckin oil platform

caves

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Space station

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Putin's undersea base

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Keisari posted:

Space station

We're talking about scary places to fight not dope cool af places

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
uk officials say russia targeted grain ship in odessa

not a ton of new information, but the first indication i've seen that russia has expanded beyond targeting grain storage and port facilities to targeting cargo ships in port

quote:

The UK has accused Russia of targeting a civilian cargo ship with multiple cruise missiles as it rested in the Ukrainian port of Odesa last month.

The attack - which took place on 24 August - was thwarted by Ukrainian air defences, the UK's foreign office said.

The Liberian-flagged ship was targeted by missiles fired by a Russian carrier, it added.

In July, Russia warned ships travelling to Ukraine's ports through the Black Sea may be seen as military targets.

The warning came after Moscow withdrew from a landmark UN-backed grain deal, which had seen civilian cargo ships promised the freedom to export Ukrainian grain through the Black Sea.

At the time, President Vladimir Putin complained there were too many restrictions on its own agricultural goods.

Moscow also demanded a major Russian bank be let into a global payments system, restrictions be lifted on Russian fertiliser companies, and for its ships to get full access to insurance and foreign ports.

It began a series of strikes on ports in southern Ukraine within days of withdrawing from the deal, which it had pledged not to do under the agreement.

Speaking to parliament on Monday, UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said the foiled attack on the grain ship succeeded only in "demonstrating just how desperate Putin is".

"Ukraine has the right to export its goods through international waters and they have the moral right to ship grain that is helping feed the world," Mr Sunak said.

Russia has yet to comment on the attack.

Moscow has increasingly targeted Ukrainian port infrastructure since it pulled out of the grain agreement. Kyiv has accused it of a "cynical" attempt to damage its grain exports and undermine global food security.

In its statement, the Foreign Office said Russia has destroyed 280,000 tonnes of grain since it pulled out of the deal, accusing it of trying to "weaponise food and innocent trade at the expense of the rest of the world".

Officials also said Russian attacks had damaged 26 port infrastructure facilities in Odesa and the nearby ports of Chornomorsk and Reni since July.

In July, Kenyan officials said Russia's withdrawal from the deal amounted to a "stab on the back" for those in drought-hit countries.

Korir Sing'Oei, the top civil servant in Kenya's foreign affairs ministry, said any increase in global food supplies caused by the move "disproportionately impacts countries in the Horn of Africa already impacted by drought".

President Vladimir Putin has pledged to provide free grain to six African nations - all of whom have supported Russia at international forums.

But the foreign office said the amount of grain destroyed by Russian strikes already exceeded the total amount Moscow had pledged to donate to African states, adding that it could have fed up to a million people for a year.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

uk officials say russia targeted grain ship in odessa

not a ton of new information, but the first indication i've seen that russia has expanded beyond targeting grain storage and port facilities to targeting cargo ships in port

And the summary of Turkey's talks with Russia about reviving the deal was.... give in to Russia's demands. One of these ships is going to get blown up some day. The international community will do everything it can to let it slide but Russia won't be getting it's grain anywhere either if no one insures shipping in the Black Sea anymore. Definitely an escalation point to watch.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Orthanc6 posted:

And the summary of Turkey's talks with Russia about reviving the deal was.... give in to Russia's demands. One of these ships is going to get blown up some day. The international community will do everything it can to let it slide but Russia won't be getting it's grain anywhere either if no one insures shipping in the Black Sea anymore. Definitely an escalation point to watch.
Russia is a grain exporter.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Yes and they export through the Black Sea. If internationally flagged ships start getting blown up in the Black Sea shipping insurers will raise rates or not give coverage at all, which will affect Russia's own shipments. That is an assumption, maybe they'll still insure Russia's ships, but then again they might expect Ukraine to start hitting Russian grain ships in kind. Even if Ukraine doesn't intend to, the risk would be there.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

OddObserver posted:

i think the point is that if the black sea becomes a free for all on grain shipping, then russia is going to have issues exporting its grain. ukraine doesn't have quite the reach of the russians, but russia certainly doesn't have free rein if things escalate

edit: nm, beaten

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Orthanc6 posted:

Yes and they export through the Black Sea. If internationally flagged ships start getting blown up in the Black Sea shipping insurers will raise rates or not give coverage at all, which will affect Russia's own shipments. That is an assumption, maybe they'll still insure Russia's ships, but then again they might expect Ukraine to start hitting Russian grain ships in kind. Even if Ukraine doesn't intend to, the risk would be there.

I think Russians ships were already moving away from international insurers before this ex:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-30/russia-still-reliant-on-western-insurance-for-half-oil-shipments

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...336b_story.html

quote:

Russian oil tankers are now insured by Ingosstrakh Insurance Company, the country’s fourth-largest general insurer, which already covers some 2,000 vessels. It is also likely to cover much of the so-called “ shadow fleet” of tankers expected to continue carrying Russian crude next month. That’s raising concerns.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
That’ll reduce collateral damage concerns if/when Ukrainians start getting deliveries of submarines.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Nenonen posted:

Brazil's president Lula da Silva went off during the weekend about hosting the next G20 summit that Putin will be able to come there safely even though Brazil is a member of ICC, because as the president he will guarantee Pol Put's immunity. Now he's already walked back his promises, saying that it's the justice system's call, not his administration's and he's going to look into why the hell Brazil even is in ICC :allears:
God I love the contemporary “left”. I mean why on earth would a “workers party” want international[e] institutions that could curb the worst excesses of dictators and transnational capitalists? What a pointless waste that would be. Let’s all just turn our backs on each other. What are the kleptocrat gangsters going to do, eat us all piecemeal?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That's an interesting point to bring up, how many capitalists have been tried and punished by the ICC?

Edit: and by "capitalist" I mean investors whose primary source of income is their capital. Stock holders, finance, industrialists, etc.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 12, 2023

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That's an interesting point to bring up, how many capitalists have been tried and punished by the ICC?

Edit: and by "capitalist" I mean investors whose primary source of income is their capital. Stock holders, finance, industrialists, etc.

I mean, none? I don't see how any non-military or governmental people could fall within its scope of jurisdiction (genocide, crimes agains thumanity, etC.) unless you were to make a fairly difficult case of charging them with ecocide.

It's already difficult enough to sue directors for companies lying in their greenwashing claims, nevermind crimes against humanity

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Could the head of a mercenary group be indicted or does that fall outside of the ICC's remit?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_Statute

Yeah, it's mostly straight war crimes. And only when the OG country won't do anything about it.

quote:

The Rome Statute established four core international crimes: genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes, and the crime of aggression. Those crimes "shall not be subject to any statute of limitations".[9] Under the Rome Statute, the ICC can only investigate and prosecute the four core international crimes in situations where states are "unable" or "unwilling" to do so themselves; the jurisdiction of the court is complementary to jurisdictions of domestic courts. The court has jurisdiction over crimes only if they are committed in the territory of a state party or if they are committed by a national of a state party; an exception to this rule is that the ICC may also have jurisdiction over crimes if its jurisdiction is authorized by the United Nations Security Council.

So most capitalists get a sham trial or a petty fine and the ICC can't "do anything" about it per the treaty. I'm guessing, I'm no international law boy.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
The ICC is very new, but there were several war crimes trials at Nuremberg prosecuted by the US that targeted the big industrial concerns that used Nazi slave labor.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The leftist critique of the ICC is that major powers and in particular the US have functional veto over prosecutions. Hell the US has its functional veto written into law. It shouldn't really be a surprise that there is appreciable resentment towards the project.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean I don't think you can really blame the ICC for major powers refusing to play ball with it. If was in America's pocket the US wouldn't be so scared of it.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

fool of sound posted:

The leftist critique of the ICC is that major powers and in particular the US have functional veto over prosecutions. Hell the US has its functional veto written into law. It shouldn't really be a surprise that there is appreciable resentment towards the project.

Ironically, the critique circles back to the uncomfortable fact that 'might makes right' so if a leftist wants a functional supranational judicial body then they need to get on board with the idea of Team <Insert global power here>: World Police

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

That is what Brazil and Lula are doing, forming a new power bloc. One in which they believe they have more agency and control.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

ummel posted:

So most capitalists get a sham trial or a petty fine and the ICC can't "do anything" about it per the treaty. I'm guessing, I'm no international law boy.

Sounds like the surviving remnants of Wagner would fall under that jurisdiction, since they're operating in eligible territory, are not being prosecuted by Russia, and have videotaped themselves committing various war crimes.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That is what Brazil and Lula are doing, forming a new power bloc. One in which they believe they have more agency and control.

you know that he already walked that statement back

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

saratoga posted:

Sounds like the surviving remnants of Wagner would fall under that jurisdiction, since they're operating in eligible territory, are not being prosecuted by Russia, and have videotaped themselves committing various war crimes.

I'm sure that Ukraine will save them the trouble in case they get arrested in a country with an extradition treaty. Like the Rusich guy.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you know that he already walked that statement back

Which statement? The brics formation?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

How can Lula walk back something done by Goldman Sachs?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

fool of sound posted:

Sure, though in a lot of ways that's like saying we shouldn't have murder laws because they're not perfectly enforced.

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Is that the global economic powerhouse where one of the members is having trouble converting currency provided by one of the other members into something it can use globally?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's the one that controls the majority of manufacturing and oil production.

VVVVVV :wtc: are you arguing that no production outside of cartels is worth investment?

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 12, 2023

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

I wouldn't say they control the oil production since they don't have the economic leeway to decide not to sell it, meanwhile the customers can and have decided not to buy it. What is the value of controlling the resource if you do not control the price of it?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

BRICS is about as real as T-14 Armata
Sure you saw it couple times on celebrations but it won't walk the walk

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

VVVVVV :wtc: are you arguing that no production outside of cartels is worth investment?

I have absolutely no idea how you arrived at this conclusion. I am merely saying that a producer who has no control over the price of their product or economic buffer to unilaterally cease production does not 'control production'

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

^^^^^again, you are describing a cartel
Edit:

wikipedia posted:

A cartel is a group of independent market participants who collude with each other in order to improve their profits and dominate the market. A cartel is an organization formed by producers to limit competition and increase prices by creating artificial shortages through low production quotas, stockpiling, and marketing quotas.

fatherboxx posted:

BRICS is about as real as T-14 Armata
Sure you saw it couple times on celebrations but it won't walk the walk

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/aug/24/five-brics-nations-announce-admission-of-six-new-countries-to-bloc

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 12, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Announcements are cheap to make.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Moon Slayer posted:

Announcements are cheap to make.

It is rather amusing how much of the BRICS Wiki page is, “In this year’s meeting the group announced _____ , however…”

At the end of the day, while the group might want to be compared to NATO it much more resembles its actual origin as a global finance concept.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
BRICS is a super special club of countries who are defined mostly by not being part of the actual in-group in the G7/NATO/EU/AUKUS collab. They don't have any policies beyond holding up signs saying "We Demand to be Taken Seriously" in front of western media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

^^^^^again, you are describing a cartel

You do realize that in a supply/demand system any body that 'controls production' is by definition a cartel. So the question is 'Do you think Russia is currently an oil cartel?'