Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010
Seeing that trailer again reminded me: I like the music in this game a lot, but as someone who has next to no broader Final Fantasy context I gotta ask, what's the deal with the vocals so often having that crunchy telephone distortion effect? Is it a franchise thing? Just a Soken signature? I always find it kinda grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mr. Mutton Chops posted:

Seeing that trailer again reminded me: I like the music in this game a lot, but as someone who has next to no broader Final Fantasy context I gotta ask, what's the deal with the vocals so often having that crunchy telephone distortion effect? Is it a franchise thing? Just a Soken signature? I always find it kinda grating.

I assumed it's an aspect of the beginning trailers to hide edits and unfinished music. Haven't noticed it in final versions.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr. Mutton Chops posted:

It's one of Soken's affectations, and it's something you'd hear more in rock than classical high fantasy bits. FF has always experimented with musical styles, but Soken's brought a much bigger rock/metal influence than what the series has dabbled in before.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that sort of vocal effect is really common in grunge and nu metal, especially japanese nu metal, and soken loves that stuff

that said yeah he isnt the first ff composer to bring that influence in, peep the ff10 intro theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4umidcc_8rU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Nobuo Uematsu loving loves prog rock and you can hear it all over the Final Fantasy soundtracks

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

hello I would like to share that in my first tier done entirely in party finder I have finally cleared p12s and it makes me happy ok thanks for reading my post

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

World War Mammories posted:

hello I would like to share that in my first tier done entirely in party finder I have finally cleared p12s and it makes me happy ok thanks for reading my post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

that sort of vocal effect is really common in grunge and nu metal, especially japanese nu metal, and soken loves that stuff

that said yeah he isnt the first ff composer to bring that influence in, peep the ff10 intro theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4umidcc_8rU

This intro blew my mind back then. Too bad the game didn't catch me the same way.

Mr. Mutton Chops
Apr 2, 2010
Ahh yeah the nu metal thing makes sense! I know next to nothing about that genre (and I guess I tend to associate it with cleaner emo or plain old scream vocals), but the FFX intro was new to me and an interesting dot I hadn't connected!

I'm much more familiar with the prog-to-games pipeline:

https://twitter.com/atelierjoshua/status/1698853100067406192?s=20

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Congrats!

In other PF prog news, I got my second PF Orthos clear last night, although I strongly suspect I might be the random chucklefuck dragging the run down there. But we still cleared!

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Wait I gave you the keys to the static what happened?

Grats nonetheless!

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Just realizing now I should have slept on that survey before sending it in, so I could beg them to write a story about Festus and why nobody's told him the bad news yet. And also tell me who's still signing his paychecks.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Wait I gave you the keys to the static what happened?

Grats nonetheless!

too many of us had "jobs" and "fiancees" and "children" and "a lack of interest in raiding that many hours a week, suit," which sounds like quitter talk to me!!!, but you know how it is. by the time we cleared p8s phase 1 we were often going barely 2 hours a week, and after we called it as a group I was the only one who continued via pf, since I am a horrible nerd who likes this awful poo poo in and of itself in addition to its purpose as an excuse to play games together

it was definitely gratifying in its way to be able to prog whenever I wanted, more or less, but then I learned what "trap parties" are. the amount of, like, calendar time from release to clearing the final tier was a little shorter than our best paces, eg. as I recall we cleared e4s like a week before 5.1, whereas right now it's about 3 weeks before 6.5. but the actual time I spent in hours playing was much more, to a degree that I frankly do not want to calculate. so I will certainly be advertising myself in catgirl bargains' recruitment channel once again as dawntrail approaches, and hopefully all these purple parses will make me look less poo poo than I am

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Bruceski posted:

She has a knack for finding him when he doesn't want to be found, after all.

Don't be cowards, make Estinien/Krile/Tataru official!

Sorry, I'm canonically married to Estinien. Got the certificate from Yoshi-P himself.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Finally got around to finishing this year's rising event. Is the implication supposed to be that the last letter on the Letter Tree came from Hironobu Sakaguchi, or am I reading too much into it?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have bested Gogo. Now to handle the lvl 80 BLU quests

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Can you log into my account and beat Gogo for me

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

I have bested Gogo. Now to handle the lvl 80 BLU quests

Congrats! If it helps, the level 80 Masked Carnival boss is much less of a ball-breaker.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm probably never going to make it through blu, i can't even win the level 50 fight. which sucks, because even though it's side content, it's story content that actually requires you to be moderately good at the game, and you can't rely on anyone else

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

jalapeno_dude posted:

Finally got around to finishing this year's rising event. Is the implication supposed to be that the last letter on the Letter Tree came from Hironobu Sakaguchi, or am I reading too much into it?

Nah, it might be. Overall the letters smell a lot like the devs expressing their gratitude to the players, and Sakaguchi being credoted as an adventurer both because he's not in Square and because he is playing the game makes sense.

I do wonder from which writer is the letter about "I love making villains people go gaga for".

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Nah, it might be. Overall the letters smell a lot like the devs expressing their gratitude to the players, and Sakaguchi being credoted as an adventurer both because he's not in Square and because he is playing the game makes sense.

I do wonder from which writer is the letter about "I love making villains people go gaga for".

sad dad writer? cant remember her name

aers
Feb 15, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

ishikawa has said she likes writing villains the most

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hexwren posted:

I'm probably never going to make it through blu, i can't even win the level 50 fight. which sucks, because even though it's side content, it's story content that actually requires you to be moderately good at the game, and you can't rely on anyone else

Try checking out Blue Academy on YouTube. He's got in depth video guides to every Masked Carnival fight, including the tier bosses. Having a strategy and a recommended set of spells can go a long way if you're having trouble figuring out the puzzle fights.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
That level 80 BLU fight seems easier than Gogo, but also feels like more of a slog. I gave up after several attempts because I'd just make a dumb mistake and die to those drat fire orbs. Like I know what to do but there's like no room for error there.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
oooh you want to do the fight oooh you want the umbrella

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Kyrosiris posted:

God, that'd be sick.

It's been my running theory ever since Yoshi P said back in Vegas that DT's 24 man would be “the most final fantasy one yet"

And now I'm also hoping they bring in Uematsu for the music...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Biggest challenge for Gogo is his act 2 meteor->charybdis->Thunder 3->fire 3->repeat loop

Keeping calm and baiting the Thunder 3s into specific areas was the key for me to survive. The giant meteor you have to diamondback through sucked mostly because its timing was vague but I managed. Just a lot of sensory overload in that act, way too many moving parts and it's easy to get overwhelmed. Took me probably 10, 12 tries. Still preferred Gogo over fight #29. That one was a complete rear end in a top hat, pace was way too fast.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Leveling a healer has been very educational. One thing I just learned trying to heal the Zot final boss: when there's a group-up followed by a spread mechanic (the fire triple-case in this case) don't dash to the far end of the arena, my heals have a limited range. Your instinct is to get away from other people, but anything further than the AoE radius is pointless.

Navigating those triple-casts while doing dps: tricky. Navigating them while trying to track who failed and maybe help them out in time: impossible.

EDIT: also, does damage take a step up in the 81+ dungeons? I went from the 79 dungeon being able to juggle my oGCDs and Afflatus to keep people up to needing to spam everything and then keep hitting Cure II on a DRK who seemed to be hitting all their own stuff as well. If there were even two enemies still up and I blinked they'd be at half health and dropping. I was all fresh 530 gear and they were downranked from 90.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 12, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Leveling a healer has been very educational. One thing I just learned trying to heal the Zot final boss: when there's a group-up followed by a spread mechanic (the fire triple-case in this case) don't dash to the far end of the arena, my heals have a limited range. Your instinct is to get away from other people, but anything further than the AoE radius is pointless.

Navigating those triple-casts while doing dps: tricky. Navigating them while trying to track who failed and maybe help them out in time: impossible.

EDIT: also, does damage take a step up in the 81+ dungeons? I went from the 79 dungeon being able to juggle my oGCDs and Afflatus to keep people up to needing to spam everything and then keep hitting Cure II on a DRK who seemed to be hitting all their own stuff as well. If there were even two enemies still up and I blinked they'd be at half health and dropping. I was all fresh 530 gear and they were downranked from 90.

I'm pretty sure they downtune older content, which makes current expansion content typically have a difficulty spike just in terms of damage. With healers I think there's also a weird dilution where the more healing tools you get, the less effective each individual thing is, but that's more like lower level stuff vs post 50.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bruceski posted:

New tiers of dungeons typically have more beef to them. They're balanced for the inevitable skill pruning and potency buffs that come along with with each expansion, as opposed to the earlier ones which are rendered easier by the changes. Level sync might also come into play, not just ilvl sync, which is not a trivial difference.

Zot's also a bit of an outlier in that it's probably the hardest dungeon they've released in ages.

Although it also sounds like you might have had a bad tank, because they shouldn't be that fragile.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The final two pulls of Zot are probably the most harrowing in the entire game, even moreso than Bardam's nowadays, so struggling with it as a fresh 81 isn't too unusual. You might've also had a tank who was blowing everything at once instead of spreading CDs out evenly, so the first half of the pull ends up feeling far more manageable than the second, even if there's fewer things around to wail on him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I generally think the 2nd or 3rd dungeons in any given patch are usually the most spicy. I think that hits the exact point where you're probably 'on-level' in terms of gear sync'd whereas the first dungeons are more prone to let you be ahead of the curve.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That was the case with Bardam's, but Holminster at launch and Zot at launch were the spicier dungeons of their respective expansions.

Dohn Mheg had a bit of beef behind it, but Babel's nothing special. Ravel and Vanaspati were both pretty smooth going.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vanaspati and Qitana are much easier than Zot or Holminster, yeah, especially because in EW the healers get potency upgrades on their heals at 85.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's usually awkward points in leveling depending the exact job composition of your party, so its hard to make a blanket statement on difficulty. for instance, dark knight doesn't get blackest knight until level 70, but at level 68 gunbreaker gets heart of stone and warrior gets shake it off. so doma castle can be really awkward for a dark knight tank.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Holminster and Zot are both pretty brutal dungeons to learn healing on. It's also very noticeable if the tank is wearing level 70/80 vendor gear vs max ilvl gear of those levels.

That wasn't really the case with Sirensong other than maybe one pull.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

or my favorite example, dragoon not getting aoe until level 40. yes ive been in a brayflox double dragoon dps party where the tank decided he needed to pull every single mob possible. yes it was a nightmare.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Endorph posted:

or my favorite example, dragoon not getting aoe until level 40. yes ive been in a brayflox double dragoon dps party where the tank decided he needed to pull every single mob possible. yes it was a nightmare.

Back in ARR and HW, low level dragoon at least had dots they could spread to all of the enemies in a pack. Double ticks of phlebotomize plus healer aoe would still be pretty good for burning down packs pretty quick.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Zot is one of the few dungeons where everyone is happy on blowing their LB on the big trash pull before the final boss because its the scariest pull in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

People often run way too far with or when dodging aoes. Not only do you get too far from heals, sometimes a spread is followed by a stack or something else you'll be out of position for. It's all about economy of movement