Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
blockchain more like cockchain

the only people who seriously think the complete automation of the workforce is a good thing are people with 0 understanding of technology or what their employees' jobs actually are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

I never saw normal people actually use blockchain, everyone I work with has used Chatgpt. It’s not the same thing.
yeah blockchain and meta were just 100% techbro inapplicable/value-less tech. ML/AI is legit useful, legit dangerous, and still misunderstood by many.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

business question, for a friend who wanted the wisdom of BFC (I don’t work at either place):

small business X has now and then worked with 1-man shop Y. Both do consulting. Y has a good set of clients and had to hire an admin and 1-2 other contractors but hates doing HR and management stuff. Y approached X about X buying out Y. Y has a decent client book and some materials they use working with clients but no patents, hard assets, or other big time IP.

The plan is for Y to join X as a senior employee (not owner). How should X fairly compensate Y in order to buy out his business and gain him as an employee?

Right now they’re basically looking at a signing bonus tied to the size of Y’s client book plus a covenant related to Y not just quitting in year 1.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

pmchem posted:

business question, for a friend who wanted the wisdom of BFC (I don’t work at either place):

small business X has now and then worked with 1-man shop Y. Both do consulting. Y has a good set of clients and had to hire an admin and 1-2 other contractors but hates doing HR and management stuff. Y approached X about X buying out Y. Y has a decent client book and some materials they use working with clients but no patents, hard assets, or other big time IP.

The plan is for Y to join X as a senior employee (not owner). How should X fairly compensate Y in order to buy out his business and gain him as an employee?

Right now they’re basically looking at a signing bonus tied to the size of Y’s client book plus a covenant related to Y not just quitting in year 1.

Company valuations are a thing that one can hire expertise to calculate and justify. They largely land on a curve of "x times annual revenue" with "X" depending on the industry, potentially with a downward modifier for exceptionally small businesses that requires the participation of an owner/principal to remain viable.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Blockchain might be value-less tech, but people in my network got some insane promotions and title inflation by jumping into it. Now they’re pivoting to AI/ML gigs with senior manager/director pay scales.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

pmchem posted:

Out of the pay grade for an internet forum. It will depend entirely on the client book. It could range from 25% of the last years booking to 10x, depending on the work and industry. By the way you say it it's probably on the lower side but there's still a huge range there.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Democratic Pirate posted:

Blockchain might be value-less tech, but people in my network got some insane promotions and title inflation by jumping into it. Now they’re pivoting to AI/ML gigs with senior manager/director pay scales.

Do people like that do anything besides making LinkedIn posts about AI?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Awkward Davies posted:

Do people like that do anything besides making LinkedIn posts about AI?

Provide insane value to their primary stakeholders. I’m talking nice vacations, fully funded 401k and IRAs, fancy dinners, etc.

For their employers? Eh.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sundae posted:

First WTC ChatGPT word vomit

I hate this, truly and utterly, because it's exactly the kind of loathsome, ghoulish nonsense a company would actually put out. I actually started feeling nauseous by the time I finished the section.

Then, a second word prompt hit the post

quote:

At [Your Company Name], we've always been fascinated by the way steel transforms and shapes the world around us. And while it's true that jet fuel can't melt steel beams, we're here to tell you that our company's forges can do something even more remarkable – they can craft steel into precision-engineered wonders that defy imagination.

:master:

Holy hell this whole thing was magnificent. It's too self aware to be real but otherwise fantastic.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Please stop posting stupid ChatGPT poo poo. Nobody cares.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah it’s funny how chatgpt stuff has already died down. Another fad just fading into the background after blockchain/nft, the metaverse etc.

With my manager leaving I’m trying to figure out what the structure will be as the other senior people on the team aren’t really interested in becoming managers (myself included). Wondering if it will be the level above who will be managing for a bit (which I’m sure he isn’t keen on - he’s the VP engineering and more focused on the technical path we’re on, architecture etc).

I’m guessing we’ll probably get parcelled out to other groups on an interim basis.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

Marketing an LLM as GenAI is not "a solid foundation".

It appears to mean "generative" in this context, not "general".

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Midjack posted:

Haha that is a good point. I have been misreading that lately.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Midjack posted:

In that case I still disagree with it being "a solid foundation" for much of anything, as I don't see any reasonable way past it's biggest fatal flaw: determining when it's generated authoritative-sounding misinformation.

It's a huge thing at my company and others who offer call center/chat type services. You just can't let the AI off the chain - it has to be exceptionally "stupid" and only know what it absolutely needs to, which makes it nothing more than a bunch of if/then statements on a flow chart, so other than marketing what's the point?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Fuuuutuuuure

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Motronic posted:

In that case I still disagree with it being "a solid foundation" for much of anything, as I don't see any reasonable way past it's biggest fatal flaw: determining when it's generated authoritative-sounding misinformation.

It's a huge thing at my company and others who offer call center/chat type services. You just can't let the AI off the chain - it has to be exceptionally "stupid" and only know what it absolutely needs to, which makes it nothing more than a bunch of if/then statements on a flow chart, so other than marketing what's the point?

Putting the fear into the useless moochers often referred to as "employees"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Motronic posted:

Look out C-suite, AI is coming for your job!!

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
For some reason, someone very high up in the company wants to have a 1:1 with leadership and direct reports in my division. I got the notification that due to time zones, my call was moved to 7 AM on Halloween. This is also the only day of the week I typically go to the office.

Do I dress up for the occasion? I was thinking about going as a character from a cartoon of my childhood but a clown costume might be more fitting.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Fashionably Great posted:

For some reason, someone very high up in the company wants to have a 1:1 with leadership and direct reports in my division. I got the notification that due to time zones, my call was moved to 7 AM on Halloween. This is also the only day of the week I typically go to the office.

Do I dress up for the occasion? I was thinking about going as a character from a cartoon of my childhood but a clown costume might be more fitting.

If it's a zoom meeting just put a full sized skeleton in your chair and shake it when you talk

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Diisguise yourself as the person you are meeting with.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My outgoing manager is kind of dropping hints that he'd like someone to throw their hat in the ring to take over as team manager, but that sounds like a potential for disaster. I don't know if I'd like to be a manager, I prefer to just get stuff done behind the scenes so probably wouldn't be a good idea for me anyway.

Another really senior guy in a different group is also leaving so I'm wondering if this is the start of some kind of mass migration.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

priznat posted:

My outgoing manager is kind of dropping hints that he'd like someone to throw their hat in the ring to take over as team manager, but that sounds like a potential for disaster. I don't know if I'd like to be a manager, I prefer to just get stuff done behind the scenes so probably wouldn't be a good idea for me anyway.

Another really senior guy in a different group is also leaving so I'm wondering if this is the start of some kind of mass migration.

If it comes with more money and a higher title, take it and bail with that to the next job when you hate it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Barudak posted:

If it comes with more money and a higher title, take it and bail with that to the next job when you hate it.

That’s a good point, just title harvesting!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Deadite posted:

If it's a zoom meeting just put a full sized skeleton in your chair and shake it when you talk

Please do this. Oh god please do this.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Barudak posted:

Manager isn't there next wrung though, it's a different track. It can be a positive to try it and go back to IC but don't go into management if you know you'll hate it.

If this means just team lead and your still an ic, then yeah do that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lockback posted:

Manager isn't there next wrung though, it's a different track. It can be a positive to try it and go back to IC but don't go into management if you know you'll hate it.

There's scope to go management somewhere you'd hate it in order to get to somewhere where you won't.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Lockback posted:

The problem is a lot of places it's the only track that actually leads to increasing pay and respect, and generically across the board it leads to those things.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

mllaneza posted:

There's scope to go management somewhere you'd hate it in order to get to somewhere where you won't.

I read priznat saying he doesn't want to leave being an IC, not that he wants to be a manager somewhere else. That's how you get miserable managers who get stuck in a rut.

pseudanonymous posted:

The problem is a lot of places it's the only track that actually leads to increasing pay and respect, and generically across the board it leads to those things.

THAT is a good reason to find an IC role somewhere else.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Lockback posted:

Having been in that position: it ends up being two goddamn jobs and needs to come with a huge pay increase. I'd take less pay to be a manager than an IC Team Lead again.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

^^^ Also this, I find being an IC team lead pretty hard if I have a lot of stuff to be responsible for doing myself. Good managers load my personal tasks pretty lightly if I have 2-3 reports underneath. Mostly big picture things.

Lockback posted:

I read priznat saying he doesn't want to leave being an IC, not that he wants to be a manager somewhere else. That's how you get miserable managers who get stuck in a rut.

I am legit torn, I think there are some parts of managing I would enjoy and others I would deeply hate. I have liked supervising jr engineers especially when we mesh well. If we don't then it's been fine though, I'm very easy going to work with I'm told. Quick to praise and would never call out people in front of others and only have a respectful discussion privately with them and escalate only when necessary. (this has happened only twice in my now.. poo poo.. 12 year as someone who does supervising).

Also I had a hunch where my manager was going and I know some people there, and sure enough his name has already popped up on Teams there, lmao. Jeez dude take a few weeks off or something!!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Attn: new manager training is available, this is mandatory and you will be tracked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ofz1OnlNI

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you think you might enjoy managing, and enjoy some aspects of it, why not go for it?

Worst case scenario you confirm you don’t like it (here) and move on somewhere else, either as an IC or as a manager.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

If you think you might enjoy managing, and enjoy some aspects of it, why not go for it?

Worst case scenario you confirm you don’t like it (here) and move on somewhere else, either as an IC or as a manager.

Yeah, people who don't want to shouldn't become managers, but if there are things that are appealing and you have a decent leader suggesting it then it's probably a good idea. As above, rolling back to IC (even at the same place, or somewhere else) is not a big deal.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
My workplace has some kind of rule that each manager has to have like 8 people reporting to them, which makes for yearly reorgs when the higher ups rebalance the team.

Like, if the year starts with three managers each with 8 people under them, then the first manager has one person leave and the second has two leave, they'll pool together the remaining 21 employees and split them between two managers, so suddenly the manager with 6 employees has 0.

They don't fire that manager though, since the manager one level up still needs 8 people. So that former manager becomes an IC on paper, and in reality still has a dotted line to their former employees.

Every year that passes this gets more complex and nonsensical

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Your company sucks poo poo.

But you probably already knew that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
someone looked at supervisory ratios and got a little too fixated

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Seems to be a trend in tech. It hosed me this year. If the market was better or I didn't have a family I'd have rage quit.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Deadite posted:

My workplace has some kind of rule that each manager has to have like 8 people reporting to them, which makes for yearly reorgs when the higher ups rebalance the team.

Newjob has this and it's why the four people that work for me (A, B and C from last week, plus D. No new drama yet) don't report to me and just confuses the poo poo out of everyone including me. Doubly so for the one that's given themself an email signature that gives him an external title a level above me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

@Sundae - you'll appreciate this. An old colleague from my J&J days just sent me this. I guess they changed their logo for the first time in 130 years. Seems very boring and plain now. Also their pharma division is now called "J&J Innovative Medicine" (it's been "Janssen Pharmaceuticals" since it was founded).

https://www.jnj.com/brand-announcement/

I never understand corporate rebrandings. Especially for iconic companies.