Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Community centers exist, but it's like a building that sits empty 90% of the time and they open it up when someone books it for a wedding or something. They have a "kitchen", but it's like a sink and a hotplate. No one just drops in at one to do some cooking.

that’s regional in some places they have full commercial kitchens that they will even rent out to small home/cottage food businesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

feedmyleg posted:

Uh, yes it absolutely is

What on earth makes you think it's not :confused:

The fact that it was made back when there was still belief in an easier world through technology. It's not quite satire as much as boomers' ideas what the future would look like, but then Silicon Valley happened instead.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tias posted:

The fact that it was made back when there was still belief in an easier world through technology. It's not quite satire as much as boomers' ideas what the future would look like, but then Silicon Valley happened instead.

Utopian fiction from that era looks much, much different. I don't think for most people its all that difficult to tell the satire from the real deal, and that's satire.

Of course I say this and a guy literally made a company that made bad slimfasts and named it "Soylent" so y'know.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Trabisnikof posted:

It is a case of mistaken identity when George is kidnapped by an enemy spy organization called SNEAK. During his ordeal as their captive, George discovers his exact doppelganger, a secret agent named Space Bong (a take on James Bond), who aids him in escaping their grasp.

They literally just stole this plot from The Man Called Flintstone

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ahh man a spy named flintstone was dope

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

This is so exciting I'm going to fax all my friends about it

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

dr_rat posted:

Are community center/neighborhood houses not like a thing in the US? I just assumed they did have them as like 80's movies mentioned them all the time. In Australia it would be weird to live in a city and not have a community center/neighborhood house somewhere near by.

Just looked it up, apparent there's about 3300 across Australia.

Guess what happened in the 1980s.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mycomancy posted:

Guess what happened in the 1980s.

God drat hair rock ruins everything. :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ahh man a spy named flintstone was dope

It's kinda lol how the movie presents a stone-age space program completely straight faced. Also a bit where Fred and Barney are trapped on an ICBM with no escape, and glumly resign themselves to their fate, and are at least able to change the target from hitting anyone.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

dr_rat posted:

God drat liberalism ruins everything. :(

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice

Bar Ran Dun posted:

that’s regional in some places they have full commercial kitchens that they will even rent out to small home/cottage food businesses.

In NYC a lot of seniors lean on them pretty heavily for food and socialization. It's one of the few city services that actually works, probably because there aren't many elderly migrants.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's kinda lol how the movie presents a stone-age space program completely straight faced. Also a bit where Fred and Barney are trapped on an ICBM with no escape, and glumly resign themselves to their fate, and are at least able to change the target from hitting anyone.

yabba dabba doomsday device

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

its gonna be so rad when americans (flagrantly) worship the shopping algorithm as god

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

smarxist posted:

its gonna be so rad when americans (flagrantly) worship the shopping algorithm as god

I guess they were LessWrong than we thought.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

smarxist posted:

the nine billion names of god, but instead of the stars going out its the streetlights because every church is maxing out the grid

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

smarxist posted:

There's a church in Minnesota that has a marquee that offers to boost your prayers if you email them to the church.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So is the AI worshiping us, as it's creator and all?

Feels like that would be a pretty weird church service, but I dunno seeing it from the otherside could be interesting.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
If I prayed I'd ask the gods for a 4090 every time so I can probably relate to the AI. It can have my hand me down 970

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

dr_rat posted:

So is the AI worshiping us, as it's creator and all?

Feels like that would be a pretty weird church service, but I dunno seeing it from the otherside could be interesting.

You don't have to worship your creator. A lot of the fear of AI is "what if the AI views us as the demiurge."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mycomancy posted:

I'm still loling at "just go to the community center!" It's either a hilarious troll or someone so out of touch with reality that they think community centers are a thing.

??? I play tabletop RPGs with strangers at my local community center on monday nights. It's nice.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tulip posted:

You don't have to worship your creator. A lot of the fear of AI is "what if the AI views us as the demiurge."

but um, it would be cool if they did though?

Okay, yeah that's not going to happen.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

??? I play tabletop RPGs with strangers at my local community center on monday nights. It's nice.

that's sick

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Facebook Aunt posted:

do you use the kitchen to make snacks

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

War and Pieces posted:

hell yeah, ants on a log all day every day

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Why does IHOP have a cryptocurrency

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

War and Pieces posted:

something about dormant community kitchens is such a weird feeling. like you know it's a place where food gets made and there's a fridge and a stove but, seemingly, it's always dark and smells funny.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nichael posted:

Why does IHOP have a cryptocurrency

i think that's just a stamp card that they are calling cryptocurrency. that automatically makes it the best cryptocurrency of all time.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think that's just a stamp card that they are calling cryptocurrency. that automatically makes it the best cryptocurrency of all time.

at least it's pegged to pancakes

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
a lotta yall still dont get it

pancoin holders can use multiple syrup packets on a single pancake

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Rochallor posted:

lmaoooo

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Rochallor posted:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Rochallor posted:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Rochallor posted:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

War and Pieces posted:

Sometimes we use the fridge to cool beverages. The organizer was trying to put together a potluck lunch one sunday that would use the kitchen. As a goon I did not attend.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Rochallor posted:

Does this mean I can get three new pancakes?

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTW5hQykUKc

lmao poor little boomers can't blow their money on slots :qq:

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

[Cyberpunk Dystopia] Sometimes we use the fridge to cool beverages

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think that's just a stamp card that they are calling cryptocurrency.

what the gently caress. i aped into pancoin, and now i find out it's just a stamp card??

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
All my pancakes gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Listen, just because you ate your pancakes doesn't mean you get to complain about it.