Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Kanos posted:

Not liking a game's aesthetics is a perfectly valid reason to not really enjoy a game, even if other people do enjoy said game.

That's why I don't want to play one of the many, many Touhou games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

im so scared to finish arc 2 of dragon quest 11... but I really want her back, guys :(

stay strong, gamer

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Barudak posted:

Please look up in the interior areas and enjoy the ceilings that a dev spent a lot of time making.

I haven't done that, but I laughed at the merchants not actually being able to be talked to at all and them just saying stock lines over and over while you click on a chest next to them to actually buy things. Also like that there are lights placed behind walls and notes/letters hang a tiny bit away from the walls so if there's a note or something on a wall a lot of times it will cast a shadow onto the ground from the wall.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
while it is valid to bounce off ff7 due to the models, it is also the sign of a weak spirit and low gamer fortitude

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What FF7 lack in its overworld models it makes up for with it's pre-rendered backgrounds too, it's still an incredibly evocative game to look at imo

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 12, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah its a game that sticks hard in the memory

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ff7 is one of the best looking games ever made and the goofy popeye models are a core part of that

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yup

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it is almost as weak as people who refuse to use the original sprites in Higurashi

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I love the FF7 models. The remake looks great but there's just something about those lego/megablocks character models.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its interesting because they seem like an attempt to translate the more cartoonish/expressive sprites in 16-bit RPGs to a 3D game, which isn't something which really lasted trends in game development and graphics

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

if it was some intentional artistic choice then why do they look completely different in battle

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
a lot of games had/have overworld sprites which looked different from battle sprites

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zokari posted:

if it was some intentional artistic choice then why do they look completely different in battle

I mean "sprites are more detailed in battle" was a FF staple except for FF6

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zokari posted:

something can be both an artistic choice and a technical constraint. im sure they would have had the battle/overworld models be more similar like in 8/9 if they were familiar enough with 3d/used enough to the tech for that but once they realized they couldn't do that they had to figure out what to do with the overworld models.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the tiny guys vs giant detailed monster thing would probably look wrong in 3D, so you gotta scale the tiny guys up

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a lot of the battle models look noticeably weird and dumpy too they just aren't distinctly low detail like the overworld ones all are

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean it was an intentional enough choice that they did some pre-rendered scenes still using the popeye models.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

a lot of the battle models look noticeably weird and dumpy too they just aren't distinctly low detail like the overworld ones all are

peep red's battle model sometime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ultimately whether it was on purpose or not it's not like art's never had interesting decisions born from limitation and compromise

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there's also stuff like how the really expressive overworld animations would almost certainly look extremely stupid if they were on like, the FF8 models

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I miss seeing villains that are itty bitty chunky chibis, who then suddenly are towering handsome art kaijus because it is fight time

the Lufia games were juiced with it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I miss seeing villains that are itty bitty chunky chibis, who then suddenly are towering handsome art kaijus because it is fight time

Play Octopath. It loving loves that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ff series is like 90% compromise. for instance people love bringing up auron in ffx looking way older than in his 30s and the reason for that is that his age kept changing during the course of development (including one draft where he was really tidus's dad) so his design solidified at a point before his age was set.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

The Octopath games carry on that proud tradition.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wild arms 1 and 2 much more starkly suffer from the 3d looking kind of bad because they really just weren't able to do better than what they came out with. but at the same time they make it impressive when you get to 3 and while the model quality is still pretty blobby, they learned how to lean into that for how everyone animates and got a lot more mileage out of it. also uh, put on a lot of really heavy visual effects to try and cover it up lol

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

To a certain extent that's just a PS1 vs. PS2 discussion, though. It's like comparing FF7 to FF10 or 12 instead of FF8. Yeah, of course there's a big difference between WA1+2 and 3, in what they can do with their models and in effects they can add to make it look better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

wild arms 1 and 2 much more starkly suffer from the 3d looking kind of bad because they really just weren't able to do better than what they came out with. but at the same time they make it impressive when you get to 3 and while the model quality is still pretty blobby, they learned how to lean into that for how everyone animates and got a lot more mileage out of it. also uh, put on a lot of really heavy visual effects to try and cover it up lol

I have to admit it is no way objectively good or something other games should mimic but a part of me loves WA1 going from kinda nice sprites to bloby barely textured 3D models.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lunatic Sledge posted:

triangle strategy only does this once, for the true final boss, but i marked out hard when it happened

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Srice posted:

The Octopath games carry on that proud tradition.

ImpAtom posted:

Play Octopath. It loving loves that.

The boss sprites in octopath 2 are so fuckin good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best part about OP is that anything that is a boss gets a giant-rear end kaiju sprite. So it can be like a regular dude, a butler, a dog, it doesn't matter what they look like the hand of god.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Despite being an overstuffed year, I do hope Mina the Hollower keeps its December release month. I don't know who else is doing a retro GBC-inspired game that harken back to the Zelda Oracle series, but the makers of Shovel Knight haven't missed yet.

I'm probably the one person who doesn't yearn for a Hollow Knight sequel, because the patched-in content all but soured my opinion of the game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Despite being an overstuffed year, I do hope Mina the Hollower keeps its December release month. I don't know who else is doing a retro GBC-inspired game that harken back to the Zelda Oracle series, but the makers of Shovel Knight haven't missed yet.

I'm probably the one person who doesn't yearn for a Hollow Knight sequel, because the patched-in content all but soured my opinion of the game.

I cannot put into words how much I love those visuals, Link's Awakening by way of Castlevania is an inspired choice

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

Not liking a game's aesthetics is a perfectly valid reason to not really enjoy a game, even if other people do enjoy said game.

Actually I think you'll find that the best reason not to play a video game is because a woman might materialize in your house and make fun of you at some point.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RareAcumen posted:

Actually I think you'll find that the best reason not to play a video game is because a woman might materialize in your house and make fun of you at some point.

this constantly happens to me and im sick of it

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hadn't heard of this until now, but I am now also hoping that comes out in December. I finally got around the Link's Awakening remake this year and I have a real hankering for some 2D Zelda again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mina the Hollower was something I slam-backed and it makes me really happy that they are going for something completely different instead of Shovel Knight again. Yacht Club has absolutely earned my faith in a way few developers have.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Soundtrack is also by Virt.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Eternights also has a horny best bro dude who, yeah, makes some questionable comments here and there but get this:

he hits on a girl. the girl says she's asexual. IMMEDIATELY AND RESPECTFULLY SLAMS ON THE BRAKES AND APOLOGIZES. never flirts with her again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

RareAcumen posted:

What if that woman has already materialised in my house and made fun of me for playing a video game?