Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mystes posted:

How horny can a puzzle game be?

Well, here is the first screenshot I saw when looking up the game:
https://i.imgur.com/BPwl1Ms.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Void Stranger is 99% un-horny, that's just a dumb little hidden gag and also the setup for another hidden punchline later on

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Void Stranger is 99% un-horny, that's just a dumb little hidden gag and also the setup for another hidden punchline later on

Okay, as long as it isn't like a dominating thing about it. Unfortunately the internet is predisposed to posting all the extremely giant tits in the game so it can be difficult to grasp if they are a small part or a large part.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

Sold!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

But once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

mystes posted:

Sex with Sudoku 3D

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hogama posted:

But once you recognize the secret reason for her exposure, you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds.

she breathes through her boulders

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

mystes posted:

If we didn't just get a new thread title...

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

K8.0 posted:

I'm curious what you're denying. Is it that Steam as a platform is one of the most profitable things on the planet, that F2P rakes in way more for your effort than proper games, or that those two things are what Valve is primarily focused on?

I'm not denying anything, you're massively into logical fallacies and willful ignorance.

Valve has a ton of hardware partnerships that are real R & D programs shaping companies that share the same space as Valve.

Valve is a very, very wide company and it's super myopic to pigeon hole them as some narrow company with one or two products.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Hogama posted:

This kind of ends up being true lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

she breathes through her boulders

New title please.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Sobokan't was right there

Sokobanned.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Shuka posted:

I'm not denying anything, you're massively into logical fallacies and willful ignorance.

Valve has a ton of hardware partnerships that are real R & D programs shaping companies that share the same space as Valve.

Valve is a very, very wide company and it's super myopic to pigeon hole them as some narrow company with one or two products.

They're very wide open in doing hardware (and software) R&D to assure that Steam is the top store for handhelds and VR. Trying to pretend that isn't an example of exactly what I said is insane.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 12, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I guess Unity has decided to set it all on fire in the name of short term profit…

https://twitter.com/KenneyNL/status/1701582491805495596
https://twitter.com/JohnDraisey/status/1701620078419251255

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
E:FB Unity just announced the most batshit insane policy I've ever seen a game engine produce: game installation fees for the devs

https://twitter.com/gamedevdotcom/status/1701581428784509380
If they don't go back on this, this will probably kill Unity for indie dev and might even prompt people to remove their games from storefronts because of the risk of malicious reinstallation campaigns

So, uh. Might be a good idea to install stuff now before 2024 starts and this horseshit starts getting enforced.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, if "giant girl booty" got people to buy Symphony of War...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

quote:

As for why Unity has chosen to introduce these new fees, Unity Create president Marc Whitten told Game Developer the company is seeking to "better balance the value exchange" between Unity and developers.

"we want to make more money so that we can continue to invest in the engine."

gently caress that guy

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
“Value Exchange” lmao

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
ITIL thought ruined gaming

mystes
May 31, 2006

"we're trying to do a better job of rent seeking now that so many games use our engine"

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

K8.0 posted:

They're very wide open in doing hardware (and software) R&D to assure that Steam is the top store for handhelds and VR. Trying to pretend that isn't an example of exactly what I said is insane.

This is the logical fallacy right here, no matter what anyone says you just twist it around to say it supports your point. "The hardware they developed supports their storefront, IE they are just a storefront company" is a logical fallacy because digital storefronts are not automatically hardware developers.

You're trying to minimalize running a digital storefront as a lazy greedy cash grab, when in fact they are spending untold millions developing hardware partnerships, along with a poo poo ton of other projects that are massively beneficial to the gaming industry.

Its a very small and narrow viewpoint and its boring to see it espoused in these forums

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pretty much every company maximizes making money about everything else, some are just very shortsighted about maximizing short-term profits in a way that eventually kills their business, so I'm not actually sure what the disagreement is about

Valve at least seems to be smart enough not to keep massively increasing the fees on steam until everyone starts abandoning it but that is a form of maximizing revenue in the long term for companies that aren't run by morons

Unity is probably being slightly dumb because even though tons of people use unity and it was sort of the default for a long time, Godot appears to actually be starting to be decent enough for at least some types of games, and there are now a bunch of games using it, so there's a decent chance that raising the fees will start to drive people away in the long term

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 12, 2023

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I already said I'm not disagreeing the point(s) just that it was very limited, dismissive comment about a company that has a clearly misunderstood level of involvement with the games and tech industry.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the immense good that this megacorp does for the community

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shuka posted:

I already said I'm not disagreeing the point(s) just that it was very limited, dismissive comment about a company that has a clearly misunderstood level of involvement with the games and tech industry.
I'm not disagreeing with you so much as I'm not sure what K8.0's point is

Hwurmp posted:

the immense good that this megacorp does for the community
They're doing a bunch of work getting windows games working on well on linux which is nice if you're using linux and/or you like being able to game on handheld devices which wouldn't really be pleasant to run windows on

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I guess Unity has decided to set it all on fire in the name of short term profit…

Enshittification claims yet another company. :smithicide:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

lol

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/unity-software-incs-president-ceo-050515124.html?guccounter=1

quote:

On September 6, 2023, John Riccitiello, President and CEO of Unity Software Inc (NYSE:U), sold 2,000 shares of the company.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

New title please.

I'll take titties for 400, Alex.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

someone knew

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

jesus christ where does the time go :stare:

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

K8.0 posted:

K8.0 posted:

If Valve prioritized making money over everything else, they would focus on maximizing steam storefront revenue, and after that on F2P bullshit. AKA exactly what they do.

And yes, if they were publicly traded they would be very similar. But that's not the only option. Jolly Gabe could run his drat company and give it some vision, but he set it up with flat management because he just wants to sit in his office slamming Big Macs all day.

K8.0 posted:

There's never going to be a Half-Life 3, or a Portal 3. Expectations for those titles would be impossibly high, Valve is way better off doing something different. Plus they make far more money making some exploitative garbage than an actual good game anyway, and their flat structure incentivizes making money above everything else.

It's pretty much not an example of what you said. You threw in a catch all 'maximizing steam store front profit' that matches every thing they do because shockingly what else would they be doing?

But your main point was that they won't make games because they keep making exploitative garbage. Their hardware and Linux efforts are decidedly not exploitative garbage.

As for the gabe running his company thing. I don't work at valve, maybe you have some insight I don't but his company seems to be doing pretty good with whatever it is he's doing over there. Why would he change it?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Shuka posted:

This is the logical fallacy right here, no matter what anyone says you just twist it around to say it supports your point. "The hardware they developed supports their storefront, IE they are just a storefront company" is a logical fallacy because digital storefronts are not automatically hardware developers.

You're trying to minimalize running a digital storefront as a lazy greedy cash grab, when in fact they are spending untold millions developing hardware partnerships, along with a poo poo ton of other projects that are massively beneficial to the gaming industry.

Its a very small and narrow viewpoint and its boring to see it espoused in these forums

I didn't say it's all a lazy greedy cash grab. I said Valve is never going to make HL3 or Portal 3 because their flat management structure incentivizes focusing on projects that increase Steam store revenue and F2P garbage. Yes, some of those projects that increase Steam revenue are great, like Steamworks, the Workshop, Steam Link, Proton stuff, the Index, the Deck, and all the other functional, directly game related features, even the semi-failed controller, Steambox, etc. But a lot of it is bloat that makes Steam worse, like all the loving background, emoticon, microtransaction, trading, numerous client redesigns that regressed functionality, etc.

And game wise, they are almost entirely focused on reaping the benefits of microtransaction bullshit. Valve generally speaking doesn't make games any more, they make money vacuums.

My point was quite clearly that flat organization sucks rear end and Valve would be way better if Gabe actually managed his company and gave it strategic vision, or at least chose someone to do it. It could be a lot worse (thank gently caress Valve isn't a publicly traded company, imagine the EA or Ubisoft store being the BEST option for buying PC games), but it could also be a lot better if Gabe were even slightly less into doing literally nothing.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 12, 2023

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The real impact of the Unity changes is that it is now morally superior to buy games you never install

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

The real impact of the Unity changes is that it is now morally superior to buy games you never install

I am just waiting for someone to realize they can create an automated thing to constantly uninstall and reinstall a game over and over to force developers over the 200,000 mark no matter what.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I wonder if there will be some new ransom/extortion scam of "my bot army will install your game a million times unless you pay up".

Or like, people Review Bomb games for whatever reason, will a "download bomb" be a thing?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Padding my 127MB indie game with 50GB of assets to discourage people from installing it too often.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Can't wait for every indie dev to bring back StarForce install count limits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is now morally unethical to uninstall games. You must buy more storage and just keep everything installed.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

You fool, you'll summon snake tits guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I am just waiting for someone to realize they can create an automated thing to constantly uninstall and reinstall a game over and over to force developers over the 200,000 mark no matter what.

Or not even install anything after first few times by figuring out the packets Unity sends home for installs and just repeatedly send those from different IP addresses.