Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I would be fine with anything if I dont have to manually load and unload items from the mercs inventory to transport them from one place to another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

How does the weapon convoy stuff work? Are the guns totally random? Is it a few mags of ammo or just a few loose rounds

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Definitely think there should at least be the ability to use your militia to move between towns with cargo of your items you want to move, or pay $1000 or something for citizens of towns to move cargo to another town for you

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

DoubleT2172 posted:

Definitely think there should at least be the ability to use your militia to move between towns with cargo of your items you want to move, or pay $1000 or something for citizens of towns to move cargo to another town for you

I would pay even more. We are usually swimming in money by mid game anyway

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Beat the game the other day, after taking a break after the MG balancing update, and spending a while finishing up most of the loose ends in the game. Fun game, got the good ending, going right back in to it with another run using mods.

There seems to be three big ones I'm keeping my eyes on:

- Tons of Guns: just adds more guns (tons of them): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3023672178&searchtext=

- Rato's Gameplay Balance and Overhaul: which seems to massively overhaul the weapons gameplay to make it more realistic: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3021320057

- Timmeh's Weapon Overhaul: which seems to be a similar overhaul to Rato's, but might not go as in depth? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3017633184

I'm going with Timmeh's for this new playthrough, mostly because it has more subscriptions/favourites on steam than Rato's, and I've found a few people saying they love it. Not sure if I've felt the major changes in it overall -- aside from the addition of crossbows, which is awesome.

Seems like they both do a similar thing in common though: make guns noisier during stealth, requiring subsonic ammo to make them actually quiet, making shotguns stronger, making ARs stronger, and making MGs stronger. Rato's also seems to go harder on rifles, making them more specialized by making them strong at long ranges but weak at short range.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Elias_Maluco posted:

I would pay even more. We are usually swimming in money by mid game anyway

When I got Gus on my team I was seriously like "A 50k sign on bonus? Is that supposed to be anything at all?" because I have three full teams hired on and I parked Pierre back in his home town, I can't even find ways to get myself to stay below like 1.5m bucks at least, I'd just get stupid and run like six teams if they'd let me with all this money.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 12, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

https://community.jaggedalliance.com/index/dev-diaries/devdiary-16-patch-roadmap-r21/

Bobby Rays is coming back!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Looks great

quote:

Ability to salvage knives and other items that were previously unsalvageable

Small thing but very welcome. It annoys me a lot that we cant get rid of those drat knives

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 16, 2023

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I feel like the first vanilla campaign I played I encountered machetes everywhere pretty early on but every time I've started a new one with mod options set to 100% melee drop it's all just lovely knives. I've even made it all the way past the betrayal and not a single enemy has dropped one.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dunno if this will help but I swear there's a preset machete spawn in a coastal sector along the west of the mainland, that long stretch of savannah

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I do have the Legion Variety mod on to make them all look slightly different rather than the exact same character model for every enemy type, maybe that's causing it.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Why isn't there a sweet katana in this game.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Sick, and I fully expect Lalee or someone like him to skim some off the top of our shipments.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

JA3 continues to be a great game it seems, with those additions hopefully appearing before the end of the year. I can understand modding taking a bit longer though.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
In my current game once again I didint had any option after the Biff battle but to let him go with the diamond, so I decided to shoot him at take it. It don’t seems to affect anything but maybe the ending? He was supposed to testify against Santiago or something. It’s kinda funny that none of my mercs cared (unfortunately I didn’t had Larry present, maybe he would react)

But now what can I do with that diamond? I don’t really need the money lol

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Elias_Maluco posted:

In my current game once again I didint had any option after the Biff battle but to let him go with the diamond, so I decided to shoot him at take it. It don’t seems to affect anything but maybe the ending? He was supposed to testify against Santiago or something. It’s kinda funny that none of my mercs cared (unfortunately I didn’t had Larry present, maybe he would react)

But now what can I do with that diamond? I don’t really need the money lol

Give it to the presidents daughter.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

dogstile posted:

Give it to the presidents daughter.

oh makes sense, thank you

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Reaper is just amazing

Last night I had him leading my worst team to defend Port Cacao mine from the army attack post-refugee camp ambush.

They got attacked by 30 army dudes at once, I though no way Ill be able to beat that, I didint even had a RPG or a grenade launcher.

But they came down the road all together in a huge crowd, while my team above hiding on a platform. So I had Reaper headshot some dude in the middle of it with his special, putting 27 guys into panic. They had nowhere to run cause up was where most of my team was and down was full of militia

When they got out of panic there was like 12 left

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 23, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

started playing this game last week. loved ja2, played the poo poo out of it. this game seems a bit of a step back, or maybe just streamlined, esp compared to the dream game imagined by ja2 modders, but i think it's great and a much more worthy sequel than the xcom reboots.

anyway. the army attack after the refugee camp, got this event last night. turned the game off immediately afterward lol. felt like total bullshit. did i accidentally trigger it too early somehow? is the game appreciably harder after? it kinda killed my motivation to keep playing. can the thread reassure me the game continues to be good and this is just a speed bump or something? do i just need more ap ammo now or what

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

anyway. the army attack after the refugee camp, got this event last night. turned the game off immediately afterward lol. felt like total bullshit. did i accidentally trigger it too early somehow? is the game appreciably harder after? it kinda killed my motivation to keep playing. can the thread reassure me the game continues to be good and this is just a speed bump or something? do i just need more ap ammo now or what

Yeah, the first time it really caught me off guard too. So I just reloaded and early save and left the refugee camp ambush waiting for me until I felt ready. Still, is nearly impossible to not lose some cities and mines to the army no matter how much prepared you are. But its good to have a 2 or 3 squads so you can have some defending when it hits, so you dont lose everything

And yes, the game does gets harder after that cause the army guys are much tougher than the legion. AP ammo will help, but also leaving that for later in the game, when your guys are stronger, makes it much easier

The game continues to be good, imo, and some of the most fun battles I had in the game were defending from the army attacks, and striking them back. Specially the fort battle is a blast

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I ran into that waaaaay too early and still rolled with it, it's fine. Just have Barry and Livewire and you're fine.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

okay cool. i'll stick with it lol. thanks.

one thing i wish they'd kept, design wise, is lbe/ammo management, tbh. i liked the more tactical nuance of the mercs carrying their ammo and different lbe affected load capacity and accessibility etc. i get that they streamlined it but imo they took this feature a bit too far. a lot of online bitching about ja3 is that it's dumbed down, with perks, smaller maps, ammo crafting, less gear and weapons, weapons modding is too easy, etc., but i think they've done a great job modernizing it, and it simply makes for a better game. i just hope mods can add in lbe and take out the shared squad ammo thing, i'd like just a touch more simulationist in that regard.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

okay cool. i'll stick with it lol. thanks.

one thing i wish they'd kept, design wise, is lbe/ammo management, tbh. i liked the more tactical nuance of the mercs carrying their ammo and different lbe affected load capacity and accessibility etc. i get that they streamlined it but imo they took this feature a bit too far. a lot of online bitching about ja3 is that it's dumbed down, with perks, smaller maps, ammo crafting, less gear and weapons, weapons modding is too easy, etc., but i think they've done a great job modernizing it, and it simply makes for a better game. i just hope mods can add in lbe and take out the shared squad ammo thing, i'd like just a touch more simulationist in that regard.

Im ok with what they did with ammo what I dont like much is strength affecting the number of slots you have instead of the maximum weight you can carry

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think they have mentioned inventory management being something they might take another crack at so they are at least aware of the issue. Although one thing to bear in mind is all the LBE stuff was a 1.13 thing, the base game every merc had the same basic slots and you could get a few more by throwing on a backpack. I do feel like the main issue in JA3 with inventory is just that your slots are very limited for the amount of crap you end up carrying around. The shared squad ammo storage is also a thing where it's technically more convenient because it saves inventory space, but it leads to a lot of problems like a machine gunner chewing through the entire squad's supply of 5.56/7.62.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oh lol i guess i played so much 1.13 that it all melded together. cool to hear that they're gonna try a different style of inventory management. that's my only gripe with the "oversimplification" of the game thusly

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

oh lol i guess i played so much 1.13 that it all melded together. cool to hear that they're gonna try a different style of inventory management. that's my only gripe with the "oversimplification" of the game thusly

TBH I still wish they had stolen the LBE idea from 1.13 even if it wasn't strictly "native" to the series because it made so much sense and is such a great system. More games should use it!

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, the first time it really caught me off guard too. So I just reloaded and early save and left the refugee camp ambush waiting for me until I felt ready. Still, is nearly impossible to not lose some cities and mines to the army no matter how much prepared you are. But its good to have a 2 or 3 squads so you can have some defending when it hits, so you dont lose everything

And yes, the game does gets harder after that cause the army guys are much tougher than the legion. AP ammo will help, but also leaving that for later in the game, when your guys are stronger, makes it much easier

The game continues to be good, imo, and some of the most fun battles I had in the game were defending from the army attacks, and striking them back. Specially the fort battle is a blast

In very vague general terms the refugee camp ambush is loosely intended to happen at the one third mark of the game. The countdown starts as soon as you take any diamond mine, the event chain triggers immediately if you have 4 mines, and there are additional triggers based on number of city tiles / total map tiles claimed. You're not really intended to have multiple squads or, frankly, to hold any of your territory - the game "teaches" you that a single set of 4 recruits is enough to deter basic attacks, and then pulls the rug out under you by sending attacks that not only will smash your basic set of 4 recruits but will also kill multiple defenders even if you spend the time to fully train the militia in a location. Because of the way the attack pathing works, as well, there are some tiles that you will just lose if you aren't manually defending because multiple squads path over them and even fully trained militia aren't likely to be able to survive multiple attacks without reinforcement.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the design of it - there's a part of me that thinks it could secretly be genius, because on a first playthrough the rug-pull aspect means that you're basically being reset to square 1 in terms of territory and now The Real Game Has Started. And then, on a repeat playthrough, knowing that it's coming you can kneecap parts of the assault - and because of how the outpost/attack system works, any territory/outposts you hold that weather the initial assault are yours and you don't have to spend time retaking again, potentially saving many in-game days of backtracking.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

TBH I still wish they had stolen the LBE idea from 1.13 even if it wasn't strictly "native" to the series because it made so much sense and is such a great system. More games should use it!

If tarkov added modular lbe on top of the vests it already has as well as the upcoming change from "armor" to plate carriers that you choose what to slot in, I'll be in real trouble

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think they have mentioned inventory management being something they might take another crack at so they are at least aware of the issue. Although one thing to bear in mind is all the LBE stuff was a 1.13 thing, the base game every merc had the same basic slots and you could get a few more by throwing on a backpack. I do feel like the main issue in JA3 with inventory is just that your slots are very limited for the amount of crap you end up carrying around. The shared squad ammo storage is also a thing where it's technically more convenient because it saves inventory space, but it leads to a lot of problems like a machine gunner chewing through the entire squad's supply of 5.56/7.62.

Backpacks also aren't a thing in vanilla JA2 :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Olesh posted:

refugee camp event stuff

I think my only issue, really, is that the game kinda expects you to go rush the general and major.

Every single person on the discord I frequent immediately turned around and went back to Ernie.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Xarn posted:

Backpacks also aren't a thing in vanilla JA2 :v:

Hum, I’m like 80% sure they were on vanilla, just a simpler system

dogstile posted:

I think my only issue, really, is that the game kinda expects you to go rush the general and major.

Every single person on the discord I frequent immediately turned around and went back to Ernie.

It’s what I did on my first game too. Because it’s right there and also will keep sending troops to attack you. The expected “right order “ of the 3 things is really very unintuitive, specially when the major is literally at the most distant point in the map, so it screams “end boss”, but instead is better if you do it first

Also the poster above is right in which the ambush is really supposed to happen in the first third of the game, but than is loving brutal, an absurd difficult spike early game, and early game is already probably the hardest part. I think that’s wanst so well thought

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Oct 11, 2023

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Olesh posted:

In very vague general terms the refugee camp ambush is loosely intended to happen at the one third mark of the game. The countdown starts as soon as you take any diamond mine, the event chain triggers immediately if you have 4 mines, and there are additional triggers based on number of city tiles / total map tiles claimed. You're not really intended to have multiple squads or, frankly, to hold any of your territory - the game "teaches" you that a single set of 4 recruits is enough to deter basic attacks, and then pulls the rug out under you by sending attacks that not only will smash your basic set of 4 recruits but will also kill multiple defenders even if you spend the time to fully train the militia in a location. Because of the way the attack pathing works, as well, there are some tiles that you will just lose if you aren't manually defending because multiple squads path over them and even fully trained militia aren't likely to be able to survive multiple attacks without reinforcement.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the design of it - there's a part of me that thinks it could secretly be genius, because on a first playthrough the rug-pull aspect means that you're basically being reset to square 1 in terms of territory and now The Real Game Has Started. And then, on a repeat playthrough, knowing that it's coming you can kneecap parts of the assault - and because of how the outpost/attack system works, any territory/outposts you hold that weather the initial assault are yours and you don't have to spend time retaking again, potentially saving many in-game days of backtracking.

I don't mind it too much- i mean, one of the interesting things to note is you're allowed to autoresolve battles to retake what you lost to the new units- it's not really meant to make the game tedious, but to actually give some challenge because the legion kinda loses that after a while.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing about the refugee camp event is that it's meant to catch you off guard and throw off your plan of just slowly conquering the map sector by sector. Without it, it would be pretty trivial to just never lose territory once you've captured it, outside of random empty sectors that you can't put militia in but aren't worth anything anyway. It feels like a huge difficulty spike but it actually isn't - there are definitely a few areas that are much, much harder to recapture (I do think that the game is kind of bad at communicating that Ernie should be the last place you go, considering that everybody is going to think "well it's where I started the game I should recapture it first"), but otherwise after the initial wave of attacks the map settles back down and enemies will be more or less the same as they were before. It's kind of similar to the Drassen counterattack from 1.13, where it's meant to be completely overwhelming and the best strategy is to just fall back and let the enemy take it, and reconquer the territory a little bit at a time rather than trying to take on the entire force at once.

It's a thing where I 100% understand why it makes people feel bad, but it's also supposed to make you feel bad. The game isn't really that hard, but they still want you to feel like you aren't 100% in control so they deliberately throw a wrench into your plans when it's too early for you to feel comfortable dealing with it.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 11, 2023

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I remember being quite annoyed by the military assault at the time, feeling a bit unprepared and caught off guard by it which was of course the designers' intention there. When I first saw all those enemy squads launch, I thought it was game over for me, but it wasn't really that much of a setback looking back on it. I certainly lost a lot of mines and had my income drop into the red, but it was the last time money was ever a concern for me, at least on commando difficulty, and even then I still had enough cash reserves to continue paying my mercs for several more weeks.

The only real criticism I have about it is that it overrides zones with military combatants so you could theoretically miss out on some content if you decided to explore other parts of the map without first visiting those missed zones before the takeover. That and it also sorta funnels you towards confronting Corazon first since attacks will keep spawning from Ernie and it made sense for me to tackle that area first so I would have only one war front to focus on.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is it me or after phase 2 of the campaign map happens, enemy outpost stop sending attack squads? I was expecting more trouble onwards, not less

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

piratepilates posted:

- Rato's Gameplay Balance and Overhaul: which seems to massively overhaul the weapons gameplay to make it more realistic: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3021320057

- Timmeh's Weapon Overhaul: which seems to be a similar overhaul to Rato's, but might not go as in depth? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3017633184

I've played with both and TBH fell off Rato's when they added the new shooting stance system. It feels very clunky to me with the lack of UI support for the cost of readying your shooter stance, and led to some unresponsive animations that just made me wonder if poo poo was broken. Timmeh's is great but I feel like LMGs are absolutely bonkers in their mod, with their cheap firing costs (RPKs have 3 AP to fire and mod-added M60s have 2 APs to fire) and how you can still ramp up their accuracy with a good merc and weapon mods. Ivan with an RPK was absolutely absurd, and along with Barry I managed to have him wipe out an entire phase 2 invasion force hitting Pantagruel in the first turn since they went and spawned all in one cluster right beside my deployment zone.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Sounds like a pretty standard outcome for clustering up and trying to take those two on tbh.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New update!
https://thqnordic.com/article/jagged-alliance-3-patch-13-vicky

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 9, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

oh wow. i havent had any issues with bugs or anything so that bugfix list isnt much interest to me. but i didnt realize they were adding bobby rays. i have like $1.5m and im just about to take down the colonel. having access to bobby rays would, depending on whats available, make my mercs completely godly kitted. i wonder how much ammo will be available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The patch after this one will redo the Sat View UI and the one after that should add a map editor and campaign editor, letting fans make their own unofficial expansion packs if they wanted to.