Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's loving wild looking at that list, it makes applying for jobs a bit of a minefield right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

thebardyspoon posted:

It's loving wild looking at that list, it makes applying for jobs a bit of a minefield right now.

That list is missing some studios, as well.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

pentyne posted:

I haven't followed it closely, but did Embracer just go on an acquisition spree and now is suddenly hemmoraging cash and gutting their studios?

I remember hearing rumors about being financed by Saudi oil wealth, I don't think that was ever confirmed.
They were snapping things up with the expectation of a $2 billion investment partnership with Savvy Games Group, a games and esports company formed and financed by the Saudi government that's most known for owning esports company ESL (who themselves own FACEIT and Dreamhack) and mobile publisher Scopely. The deal suddenly fell apart at the 11th hour, and Embracer is now bailing out water and hocking the furniture after their lottery ticket turned out to be a dud. Chaos is currently ensuring.

njsykora posted:

I'm gonna quote this post from the games chat thread. They own a loving lot including some very recent games like Remnant 2.
As a minor correction:

quote:

3D Realms (the entire Apogee library
Most of the Apogee library is actually owned by their original developers - they were pretty progressive on IP rights back in the '90s! Most of the stuff they did keep the IP on, like Duke Nukem and Max Payne, has since been sold off for one reason or another. I, uh, honestly don't know what old games they still have the full rights to and not just have a digital publishing deal for.

The original founder and a couple of execs split and reformed Apogee as a separate, unrelated indie publisher who seem to be doing okay, having recently kicked out the excellent Turbo Overkill.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Why is Free Radical on there? They haven't been called that since 2009 and their current name is already on the list
A new studio called Free Radical was formed in 2021 by two of the original founders with the goal of resurrecting Timesplitters. I suspect they might have a bumpy road ahead. The fractured remains of the old Free Radical are currently under the name Dambuster Studios, and I suspect they have bought their continued survival by fishing Dead Island 2 out of development hell in a decent state with higher-than-expected sales numbers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Kins posted:

Most of the Apogee library is actually owned by their original developers - they were pretty progressive on IP rights back in the '90s! Most of the stuff they did keep the IP on, like Duke Nukem and Max Payne, has since been sold off for one reason or another. I, uh, honestly don't know what old games they still have the full rights to and not just have a digital publishing deal for.

They for sure have Duke Nukem, since Gearbox bought that. I don't know if its Rockstar or Remedy of the Max Payne duo who held onto the IP but Remedy are remaking the first 2 games apparently.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

njsykora posted:

They for sure have Duke Nukem, since Gearbox bought that. I don't know if its Rockstar or Remedy of the Max Payne duo who held onto the IP but Remedy are remaking the first 2 games apparently.
Gearbox own Duke, but 3DR isn't part of Gearbox and, y'know, intercorporate politics and such. The two have never gotten along.

Rockstar have owned Max Payne since shortly after the first game came out, and my understanding is that they actually have a pretty good relationship with Remedy. I know, I was shocked too. It's both a surprise and not that they're returning to those rain-slicked Noir-York streets.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Kins posted:

A new studio called Free Radical was formed in 2021 by two of the original founders with the goal of resurrecting Timesplitters. I suspect they might have a bumpy road ahead. The fractured remains of the old Free Radical are currently under the name Dambuster Studios, and I suspect they have bought their continued survival by fishing Dead Island 2 out of development hell in a decent state with higher-than-expected sales numbers.

Is it just me, or does it seem like every time someone tries to restart the Timesplitters series, something bad inevitably happens that gets any efforts canned within a few years? I'm not saying Timesplitters is cursed, but I also won't be surprised if the next time it starts to be rebooted, a meteor hits the earth.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I believe Slipgate still owns a bunch of their essentially unmarketable IPs, like Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure and, I dunno, Paganitzu.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

what in the actual gently caress is this poo poo

https://twitter.com/gamedevdotcom/status/1701581428784509380?s=20

how do they plan to even enforce this

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kith posted:

what in the actual gently caress is this poo poo

https://twitter.com/gamedevdotcom/status/1701581428784509380?s=20

Developers having to pay Unity for every person that pirates their game, what could go wrong

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Honestly, no surprises here. The current CEO of Unity, John Ricitiello (former EA CEO), called game makers who don't want to monetize their games with microtransactions "loving idiots". It happened around the time when they bought malware developer Ironsource, last year.

https://kotaku.com/unity-john-riccitiello-monetization-mobile-ironsource-1849179898

At that point it was pretty obvious in which direction he wants to lead the company. I guess they would like to force every game maker to put micro transactions into their game but that is probably coming next year.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

quote:

Developers of free-to-play games (which have a much higher install rate than premium titles) will have the option to offset this fee by adopting other Unity services, such as its LevelPlay advertising mediation service.
This seems extremely, extremely bad. Like one of the worst things to happen to game dev maybe ever.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 12, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kith posted:

It seems pretty easy to enforce. They are the ones who make the unity runtime after all, so they can easily add telemetry to it and track stuff like this.

lagidnam posted:

Honestly, no surprises here. The current CEO of Unity, John Ricitiello (former EA CEO), called game makers who don't want to monetize their games with microtransactions "loving idiots". It happened around the time when they bought malware developer Ironsource, last year.

https://kotaku.com/unity-john-riccitiello-monetization-mobile-ironsource-1849179898

At that point it was pretty obvious in which direction he wants to lead the company. I guess they would like to force every game maker to put micro transactions into their game but that is probably coming next year.

And now they're making it basically mandatory to use ironsource's ad product (the above mentioned LevelPlay) if you want to develop a f2p game with Unity.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Clearly it's Godot's time to shine!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It seems pretty easy to enforce. They are the ones who make the unity runtime after all, so they can easily add telemetry to it and track stuff like this.

said fee would also apply to existing games on the market, hence my wondering. do they intend to make it retroactive? are successful unity games going to get nailed with an enormous fee out of nowhere?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Kith posted:

said fee would also apply to existing games on the market, hence my wondering. do they intend to make it retroactive? are successful unity games going to get nailed with an enormous fee out of nowhere?

They apparently confirmed in a Q+A section that yes, it will be retroactive lol. so this is gonna be a clusterfuck for basically everyone

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
To make matters worse, they've stopped offering Unity Plus and automatically switched those subscriptions to Pro, which costs 5 times as much. I know people have said "this will kill Unity" for ages now but this might genuinely do it. Profoundly insane changes.

Kith posted:

they said it wouldn't be retroactive, thankfully:

quote:

He also sought to clarify that the Runtime Fee is not retroactive nor perpetual. "We do not charge for older installs, only new installs after January 1, 2024."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How would Unity even track the number of installs anyways? If I made a game and put it on itch.io, how would they determine how much the project made and if it hit 200,000 installs?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Mix. posted:

They apparently confirmed in a Q+A section that yes, it will be retroactive lol. so this is gonna be a clusterfuck for basically everyone
When you say retroactive, I assume that means future installs will cost 20 cents each not you owe money for previous installs (which couldnt possibly be legal). Which again is still a disaster because now the hollow knight devs owe unity 20 cents every time someone uninstalls and reinstalls hollow knight. Like this is totally insane.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
This could potentially be used by bad actors to run mass uninstall + reinstall campaigns to financially ruin devs. Like, if they don't go back on this devs are going to be forced to remove their games from storefronts

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

This could potentially be used by bad actors to run mass uninstall + reinstall campaigns to financially ruin devs. Like, if they don't go back on this devs are going to be forced to remove their games from storefronts
Yes. Even if devs are willing to give 20 cents per sale (which is an enormous ask given how many <4.99 games are bought) it still doesnt work, the idea is straight up non-functional.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RIP Unity, I guess

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

No Wave posted:

When you say retroactive, I assume that means future installs will cost 20 cents each not you owe money for previous installs (which couldnt possibly be legal). Which again is still a disaster because now the hollow knight devs owe unity 20 cents every time someone uninstalls and reinstalls hollow knight. Like this is totally insane.

It still seems questionable/dodgy as hell that they can go "Yeah you licensed Unity from us back in 2020 so now every time someone installs your game you now owe us money despite that never being part of the original license you used".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be clear about free to play games, there does seem to be a minimum revenue requirement, so games that are actually free to play (and dont have microtransactions) would be fine. however, unity is still basically nonusable going forward.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Endorph posted:

to be clear about free to play games, there does seem to be a minimum revenue requirement, so games that are actually free to play (and dont have microtransactions) would be fine. however, unity is still basically nonusable going forward.

nobody calls actually free games "free-to-play"
that has always meant mtx-supported games

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

If you do have microtransactions, though, passing that threshold and suddenly owing for all the installations of your game up to that point is gonna destroy you.

It's partly why I have hope Unity will go back on this because it practically forces devs to not use MTX and, therefore, not give Unity a cut of MTX money. And it forces them to stop using Unity entirely, obviously, but the MTX money is clearly what Unity is most obsessed with.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/Ehksidian/status/1701631759962534057?s=20

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

nobody calls actually free games "free-to-play"
that has always meant mtx-supported games

plenty of people call free games free to play... i see it all the time...

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
also yeah how the gently caress will it be legal for them to charge devs of years old games for this, did the contract they signed all those years ago allow for this kind of poo poo?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

also yeah how the gently caress will it be legal for them to charge devs of years old games for this, did the contract they signed all those years ago allow for this kind of poo poo?
It would only apply to future installs in any case. But whether they can get away with it or not will probably vary from country to country.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Whoever wished for “No more games on Unity”, please give up your Monkey’s Paw so the next person can use it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ive played many perfectly good unity games. maybe a game is as good or bad as it's devs and not it's engine. hosed up...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Endorph posted:

plenty of people call free games free to play... i see it all the time...

I usually see "free to own" if you actually get a game and not a microtransaction hellscape.

Or just "free".

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

The 7th Guest posted:

The totality of the fallout of Embracer is going to be felt over the next couple of years.

Also a preview of what happens when the famously factionalized politics of MS comes a cropper for the gaming division at some point. Before someone jumps down my throat, no they wouldn't leave consoles, but it might be rather ugly when the power shifts in a way not totally friendly to them.

Randalor posted:

Is it just me, or does it seem like every time someone tries to restart the Timesplitters series, something bad inevitably happens that gets any efforts canned within a few years? I'm not saying Timesplitters is cursed, but I also won't be surprised if the next time it starts to be rebooted, a meteor hits the earth.

Almost as bad as the curse on the WOD IPs; guess the spirits their naming conventions appropriate are rather defensive of their image, and not having lawyers are enforcing trademark in their own fashion. :v:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

It would only apply to future downloads in any case. But whether they can get away with it or not will probably vary from country to country.

Unless the contract they signed back when the game was released had a section that said "Unity reserves the right to charge a game installation fee in the future" they can't do that, though. Only the contract signed back then matters. It's possible the dev even stopped using Unity and has never signed another contract, so Unity couldn't just up and start charging them for something they never agreed to. You can't just announce a "gently caress you" fee of 50 million dollars to everyone who ever signed with you.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

Unless the contract they signed back when the game was released had a section that said "Unity reserves the right to charge a game installation fee in the future" they can't do that, though. Only the contract signed back then matters. It's possible the dev even stopped using Unity and has never signed another contract, so Unity couldn't just up and start charging them for something they never agreed to. You can't just announce a "gently caress you" fee of 50 million dollars to everyone who ever signed with you.
Most T&Cs say stuff like we reserve the right to change these terms at any time. But even if that phrase is in there (which it almost certainly is) courts can rule against unreasonably onerous changes.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Feels Villeneuve posted:

ive played many perfectly good unity games. maybe a game is as good or bad as it's devs and not it's engine. hosed up...

Tell that to every armchair developer on YouTube. I am just making a crappy joke! :v:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Pigbuster posted:

You can't just announce a "gently caress you" fee of 50 million dollars to everyone who ever signed with you.

Quick, someone tell JR about this!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's so baffling because they could've just increased their share of the revenue split if they're so jonesing for cash; tying an additional fee to installs is just bizarre and complicated. It's like they got creative to avoid news articles about the revenue split going up and came up with something far worse

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
I think it's pretty cool of Unity to give Blizzard's legal team something to do that isn't putting out PR fires (Hearthstone is built in Unity right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I suspect their choosing installs as their revenue thing rather than purchases is to try and get a cut of games that get onto Game Pass, PS+ and whatever other subscription services crawl out there.