Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Good god my dog loving REEKS :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tayter Swift posted:

Good god my dog loving REEKS :(

Yeah, Reek had his cut off too.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah, Reek had his cut off too.

This took me a minute but lol

It's one of the cycsts I've posted about him getting on occasion, but this time it's on his disease-filled rump that I've also talked about. Poor dude has been dealt an extremely bad hand in life medically, and while I'm fighting the good fight it's days like this when I wonder why I'm bothering. Because I love him, I guess.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

America Inc. posted:

My girlfriend has been really worried about these sores she's seeing in her puppy's mouth:

Reading the OP maybe they're puppy warts? They don't have that cauliflower look. You can see the white spot on the right and then there's a red spot on the bottom gum. The puppy is 5 months old.
My bet is that's from chewing on something. Puppies who are vigorous chewers will sometimes really tear up their mouths while teething. And dogs with black lips/gums will temporarily loose the pigment when there's inflammation or trauma, so you get pink spots. If she had pink lips, you probably wouldn't notice this.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Anyone have experience with detangling conditioner for dogs? Effective? I have a 3/4 cocker spaniel (remainder golden retriever) with really fine hair that basically makes felt. The medieval-looking tools I've accumulated so far aren't up to the task, including the nine-bladed mat cutter that I thought would get somewhere. He's surprisingly patient with grooming, so that's not a problem. There's a bunch of options on Amazon, but rather than rolling the dice I thought I'd ask if anyone has a recommendation.

Recent photo for reference, he's on the left

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
We have good luck with cowboy magic, and the detangler (different from the conditioner) in particular helped us deal with nasty stuff that accumulated.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Wow that extra 0.18mL must pack a punch.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
We recently adopted a rescue and she had some moderate barking issues which are getting out of hand. At first she would bark for a few minutes when crated but now she is literally barking all night. I don't know what to do since at this point anything we do is reinforcing it. She already struggles to hold it for 8 hours so we can't not take her out if she needs it but also there's no way of knowing whether she actually needs it. Do we just continually take her outside until she gives up? Do we ignore her and just deal with cleaning up an unholy mess of poo poo and piss every couple days (and also not get any sleep ourselves)?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

the holy poopacy posted:

We recently adopted a rescue and she had some moderate barking issues which are getting out of hand. At first she would bark for a few minutes when crated but now she is literally barking all night. I don't know what to do since at this point anything we do is reinforcing it. She already struggles to hold it for 8 hours so we can't not take her out if she needs it but also there's no way of knowing whether she actually needs it. Do we just continually take her outside until she gives up? Do we ignore her and just deal with cleaning up an unholy mess of poo poo and piss every couple days (and also not get any sleep ourselves)?

I'd suggest having set times for taking her out and ignoring her otherwise for a bit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Barking when becoming accustomed to a new place is super common for dogs, it's pretty understandable - they're past the point where they're too afraid to make any noise, but everything is strange and they're trying to warn you of stuff they think is scary. This is gonna go on for a long while because the main thing that fixes it is just time passing with nothing bad happening. Kikopup (youtuber) has a bunch of videos demonstrating behavior mod techniques relating to calmness and excitability, all pretty good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUzF0g0PwY4

everything on her channel is pretty great.

re: peeing/pooping in the crate, imo you should do your best to keep that from happening as it just gets harder to fix. This is probably somewhat related to the barking/high alertness during the night, if she was asleep she wouldn't be too likely to just unload in her sleep. Try to establish a routine, i.e. scheduled meals so you can generally predict when she needs to poop. I don't think restricting access to water is a really good idea but it's fine to do this with food. Try to have a good solid outdoor time right before putting her in the crate and give her a chance to get all that stuff out before bed time - hopefully this isn't coming across as too condescending.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The peeing/pooping is likely health related; she's had to go on a succession of prescription diets as we've been working with the vet to narrow down whatever health issues she has, and she tolerated some of them better than others. She's off the diet that she was having accidents on, we've gotten her a different crate and moved it to a different spot and so far we haven't had any more accidents, but I really don't want to press my luck on her ability to hold it because I know that is a habit we do not want to develop.

Pre-scheduled nighttime breaks seem like they might be a good idea, I'm not looking forward to having to wake up in the middle of the night for the indefinite future but at least if it's planned it might work out better. Do I just gradually wean her off later by pushing the break time closer to bedtime and eventually merging it?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm not any kind of training expert but I think it will probably be the other way around and the dog will be more inclined to just sleep rather than wake up and go out, as things become more routine and the health problem goes away.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Does she bark when she wakes up? Thats our cue Freja needs taking out, and it just got longer and longer and literally one night she slept straight through..

The other option is not setting an alarm for the last one of the night and seeing when the dog wakes up naturally, you can adjust your own alarms and sleep schedule to that timeframe rather than trying to micromanage it and risk getting it wrong or going back to bed when the dog wakes up 10 mins after for the toilet. (That was always a fear of mine).

Freja has her surgery tomorrow, I'm strangely nervous about it even though it's minor and routine.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Does she bark when she wakes up? Thats our cue Freja needs taking out, and it just got longer and longer and literally one night she slept straight through..

This is what she would do at first, and she even managed a more or less full night's sleep a couple times, then that night she literally barked for 4 hours straight and would not settle even after going out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Are you interacting with her at all in those four hours? If you don't leave her alone, she'll interpret your interactions as a reward for her barking, which will lead to more barking.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
We'd take her outside every 60-90 minutes in case she actually needed to go, but otherwise didn't interact with her directly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

the holy poopacy posted:

We'd take her outside every 60-90 minutes in case she actually needed to go, but otherwise didn't interact with her directly.

Yeah, I don't think you can interact with her at all (not even being visible) if she's barked in the last, say, 30 seconds. Don't give her the opportunity to associate barking with anything that she wants.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Agree with that although you may find there's a different kind of bark for rewarded behavior vs. "Something is really wrong", there was for Darla.
e: related to this, imo never intentionally teach your dog to bark on command, there is some training material out there that recommends this but in my experience the dog can learn "sometimes if I bark I get treats", Darla learned this when she was a puppy and she never forgot it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, her attention-seeking bark is much more rapid fire and continuous than her "I have bathroom problems" bark. But we figured better safe than sorry on letting her out, since reinforcing that she can just go in the crate is probably worse than reinforcing that barking is fun.

And I mean... if we're not able to get to sleep, then we're going to be occasionally getting up and going to the bathroom, there will be movement and bits of muffled conversation that I'm sure she can hear from the crate and maybe she decided that was fun enough to keep trying for. We did move the crate a little further away from the bedroom door the next night and maybe that was what helped. But we do still want to be able to hear her bark in case there is an actual issue.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I must admit, I tip toe around the house something crazy when I wake up for a pee and the dogs asleep, shes still too young and will 100% want my attention if she knows I'm up.

Does she know down, stay and wait? Because Freja use to be the same for a short while, I use to raise my voice, tell her NO. Then make her lay down and stay/wait. She would only listen for a few min after I'd gone back to bed, but then I'd ignore her till I knew she needed the toilet again and closed the doors so I couldn't hear her.

After a couple of nights it stopped when she realised it wasn't going to make any difference and she was gonna get told off and get no treats for doing what she was told.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

We taught Nova to ‘bark’ on command but it is a very different sound to her alert bark. Sort of a long-rolled very quiet rhuff. I’m generally a fan of redirecting behaviors you don’t like into ones that are queued on demand. For us, anyways, it limited the times they happened (especially dig) to only be when I was around and a treat was likely.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

cailleask posted:

We taught Nova to ‘bark’ on command but it is a very different sound to her alert bark. Sort of a long-rolled very quiet rhuff. I’m generally a fan of redirecting behaviors you don’t like into ones that are queued on demand. For us, anyways, it limited the times they happened (especially dig) to only be when I was around and a treat was likely.

Frejas the same, she barks when I ask her to say please as I feel she should have some manners.

But when she's barking at someone or something it's entirely different, far less playful and fun sounding.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Had another bad night :/ This time she was somewhat better, she "only" barked for 30-40 mins on and off this time. So that's an improvement, I guess, and hopefully it will continue to get better with time. I still wish I knew why she was only going off some nights and not others.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Could it be outside? Or like the house settling?
A neighbor five doors down? Train whistle?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
30-40 minutes is what I remember from crate training my dog when he was young. It was a rough week or two, but he did eventually settle down once I learned to just leave him alone when he's barking.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ugh, Freja is in for her eye operation today. We dropped her off at 08.30 and they said unless there are complications or a lot of emergency visits today, she should be out by 12.00, but worse case if there's a lot, she maybe staying over night but they'd let us know.

It's now 16.00 and we haven't heard anything and their phone lines are awful to try and get through to someone.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
And of course, as soon as I bitch about it, they call me to collect her.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

And of course, as soon as I bitch about it, they call me to collect her.

Glad we could help! :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

She probably just took a while to get up and about, dogs can get real woozy.

Enjoy your wobbly, rubbery friend for the evening :v:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
She is very wobbly. It's hilarious in a slightly worrying way. She's gotta go back on Friday to check her stitches and swelling.

Just ate half a can of chicken and banana dog food, a little bit of water and passed right out again after staring at the wall for 10 mins. Bless her.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Could it be outside? Or like the house settling?
A neighbor five doors down? Train whistle?

yeah Gabriel is still often growling/barking at poo poo like another dog barking from a mile or so away lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Brisket is at my dad's this week and maybe some of next time.
My dad is now texting me his normal behaviors like they're novel. "Brisket is engaging in a sit down strike on our walk"

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

HootTheOwl posted:

Brisket is at my dad's this week and maybe some of next time.
My dad is now texting me his normal behaviors like they're novel. "Brisket is engaging in a sit down strike on our walk"

Hahaha. A sit down strike. I love the way he worded that. Ours like to lay down when we come back from a walk, in the middle of consierge, because it's got an A/C and the rest of the building has to make do. The number of times she's slumped down in the middle of the lobby between the elevator and front desk, but it always manages to give people a good chuckle watching me trying to get her moving again.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We call it "protesting" because usually he has demands: take a different route, go home, wait for my wife to join.
My dad is the first person to call it a strike.
Dogs are good, and showing solidarity

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Been about a year since my last dog passed, but we finally bit the bullet and got another beagle puppy. Meet Bubbles:

Not sure I'll do another puppy again since I'll be way too old to keep up with the constant attention when they're this young, but enjoying this one. Just need him to get a little better warning about needing to pee, though we've been doing great taking him out enough most of his potty trips have defaulted to outdoors like they should (and I have enzymatic spray for the rest). Also I swear he goes around the world with his mouth open to chomp, miracle he hasn't drawn blood or fully devoured much he shouldn't have besides fallen leaves. Always an exciting experience reaching down to pet him!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you got a good one, keep that one

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
What a tiny goof that is

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does anyone have a Ruff Land kennel for car travel?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That dog is av material, agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Oh he looks like such a cheeky character