Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i have a foolproof investment strategy for goons: we all start pooling money and buying lottery tickets every week and before anyone asks no you absolutely cannot look at the financials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This is the third year in a row they're doing this in September despite that being the time everyone starts getting sick again. great plan

"well now that the free childcare has started up the last of the holdouts will finally see reason"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

expiring now

Doing the lords work.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

ProperGanderPusher posted:

How many of these companies introduced “perma-wfh” policies back in 2020? I’m really curious how many of them have reneged on their promises after their workers already bought farms in bumfuck Tennessee.

probably all of them. orders from on high are that commercial real estate must be protected.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

triple sulk posted:

recruiters are so loving useless

When they think they've got something they will move heaven and earth for you, otherwise you dont exist. The current behavior of recruiters seems to indicate that they generally dont have a lot of trouble finding qualified people and that there is considerable competition among each other for available positions. But no one wants to work anymore.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

apatite posted:

pumping up my economy stats by literally stealing money from orphaned children https://www.npr.org/2023/09/12/1197610205/foster-care-social-security-benefits

quote:

A recipient of SSI — the maximum amount in 2023 is $914 — is not allowed to accumulate more than $2,000 in assets or savings. The letter to child welfare agencies explained ways to avoid that limit.

shithole country at it again

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

PoundSand posted:

I don't think it really counts as "living paycheck to paycheck" if you're maxing out your 401k/retirements annually. I mean your checking balance might look bad cause you're terrible with money otherwise but that still means you're effectively saving another half median salary a year and you'll be fine when you retire.

the entire point of questing is to build your skill tree after gaining xp, if that’s not living paycheck to paycheck I don’t know what is

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

euphronius posted:

the gop controls the house. at some point Biden has to negotiate with them because he refuses to jail them

This might be why marge wasn't charged yet.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's a Honda Fit and, as said earlier, I have a flawless record

that still seems awfully low. which company is this? I rarely drive, also have a flawless record, and my insurance which is based on mileage is about $70/month. my vehicle is from 2011. it's a more expensive brand, but I still find $35/month kind of unbelievable.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol at this but you do know you can take a screenshot instead of taking a picture of your monitor

are you my mother

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

How many of these companies introduced “perma-wfh” policies back in 2020? I’m really curious how many of them have reneged on their promises after their workers already bought farms in bumfuck Tennessee.

My company and my partners both are still holding on to perma wfh (probably because we get paid less than we would make pretty much anywhere else)

It owns tho we moved to a lower col semi rural area and that was pretty fun for the kids during covid. Getting ready to move to Montreal next month because they are of an age where they can start to appericiate culture and take public transit on their own.

With kids it's such a game changer. I can hang out and play Pokemon cards on the side of my desk or take them to the pool and work from there and even show my kid how to use Excel and they overhear my calls and get a sense for how to communicate in a professional environment.

I will put up with an enormous amount of bullshit and low pay for a wfh situation that Im confident won't be yanked away and I think there's a divide in companies who understand this and those who dgaf.

The funny thing is I'm an extrovert and I like my coworkers. We still go for drinks but wfh is just such a better use of everyone's time for both work and the things that matter.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1701639594037633337?t=zkUVVOY2IqA8aIbSGQoE8g&s=19

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

actionjackson posted:

lol at this but you do know you can take a screenshot instead of taking a picture of your monitor

are you my mother

not my pic

really big jackets
Sep 11, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

actionjackson posted:

are you my mother

what is this post accomplishing

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The company my partner jumped ship to back in 2021 was permanent WFH at the time and has tried and failed to implement return to office twice now. The last time went so poorly that they ended up giving a bunch of new hires (who didn't have remote work in their contracts) written guarantees of permanent WFH.

She's close enough that she could theoretically make it there a few times per week without it being insane, but they literally hired people several states away and then tried to get them to become full time in-person employees

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

some dipshit news article posted:

I’m the first of my generation to own a home and the first to earn this much annually

what the gently caress does this even mean?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Nonsense posted:

not my pic

gently caress

really big jackets
Sep 11, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Verus posted:

what the gently caress does this even mean?

it means their parents and grandparents didn't own a home or make a lot of money op.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
"first of my generation" sounds more like their siblings don't have those things

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

The company my partner jumped ship to back in 2021 was permanent WFH at the time and has tried and failed to implement return to office twice now. The last time went so poorly that they ended up giving a bunch of new hires (who didn't have remote work in their contracts) written guarantees of permanent WFH.

She's close enough that she could theoretically make it there a few times per week without it being insane, but they literally hired people several states away and then tried to get them to become full time in-person employees

We're currently engaged in our 3rd or 4th return to the office push and I expect it to go similarly to the last ones where it doesn't work at all and management just never acknowledges it. Probably because the middle managers that actually notice what's happening either don't care or would prefer to be at home themselves and the execs that are pushing it are too removed to even notice until they get a report on badge swipes in six months and start another push.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Which is why they must be killed.

Poor people must be killed.
Rich peopleust be killed.
The only people who shouldn't be killed are middle class.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm choosing to believe that article is a completely made-up scenario meant to convince the reader to buy financial planning services.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

:guillotine:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
if we all gave each other $5, we'd all be rich, if you tihnk about it

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm choosing to believe that article is a completely made-up scenario meant to convince the reader to buy financial planning services.

It absolutely is. Idk why ppl keep posting those.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Acelerion posted:

When they think they've got something they will move heaven and earth for you, otherwise you dont exist. The current behavior of recruiters seems to indicate that they generally dont have a lot of trouble finding qualified people and that there is considerable competition among each other for available positions. But no one wants to work anymore.

i finally got one to schedule a third interview but it took like two follow up emails

i just had another that i ended right away because it was a place with zero structure and major red flags. she straight up told me the person who was the hiring manager was also the cto, but that they didn't actually do any cto work. they wanted to pay like 90k for what was basically a product director role. very empowering to shut it down so quickly tbh, i rarely do that

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Leroy Diplowski posted:

It absolutely is. Idk why ppl keep posting those.

Goons are stupid

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

He is right. Workers need to learn their place.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

90k is p good to do nothing

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

triple sulk posted:

recruiters are so loving useless

can’t find a job? consider this: become a recruiter

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Mr Hootington posted:

Goons are stupid

We are willing to be pretty credulous as long as it enables us to get all red and mad.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

He is right. Workers need to learn their place.

I’m still convinced this is the reason for rto and not real estate or as a way to avoid layoffs. The proles got too uppity during COVID and it’s time for them to fall in line.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

well paid wfh jobs made in person workers think they could get some additional compensation. they must be destroyed

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

well paid wfh jobs made in person workers think they could get some additional compensation. they must be destroyed

pretty much. I always laugh thinking back to those first couple months of the pandemic coinciding with an election cycle and all of the dem politician promises we got as a result.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

cool av posted:

yeah if the recruiters are so "bad" why don't you become a better one and put them out of business.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Fed finally draining the money!

Sep 11, 2023

cool av posted:

ya gotta hustle in this soft decline

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Acelerion posted:

it's this. recruiters are doing fine from the perspective of the companies they're hiring for because there's an excess of experienced computer touchers looking for work. before 2023 my experience was that they were all insanely thirsty for my touches and now i'm lucky to get a second phone call

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Seems like a bad guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

net work error posted:

Seems like a bad guy!

yes, he's australian