Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Foo Diddley posted:

too bad twitter's so hosed, or i could find that horrifying cryptoland age of consent tweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
More than enough, which means not required

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

resistentialism posted:

My polygon bird doesn't seem to have an sd slot

You gotta evolve it into Porygon-2 for that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

drk posted:

its just that easy

lol blast from the past:

remember the early days of butt there was a guy who saw "suspicious" men follow him so he swallowed the SD card on him

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

lol blast from the past:

remember the early days of butt there was a guy who saw "suspicious" men follow him so he swallowed the SD card on him

What was on it?

Really hoping the "buttcoin" gag can come full circle here

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

cruft posted:

What was on it?

Really hoping the "buttcoin" gag can come full circle here

now that i think about it I think it was a usb drive

had private keys iirc

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I mean that just means the mib either backbag him, make him vom and probably still have a valid data, wait for the long way and probably still have valid data, or open him and still have valid data.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
the easiest way to compromise this scheme is to find the buttcoiner in the parking lot, push his nerd rear end down, and take his SD card

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

I mean that just means the mib either backbag him, make him vom

Just show him a $20 bill, that ought to turn his stomach.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
apparently it's a big day in BBBY world, I think Ryan Cohen is supposed to burst into the room during the bankruptcy hearing in his Batman outfit and start throwing batarangs

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

apparently it's a big day in BBBY world, I think Ryan Cohen is supposed to burst into the room during the bankruptcy hearing in his Batman outfit and start throwing batarangs

God I wish I had even one tenth of the faith in loving anything as these people do in this random rich dude.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Well he is the Kwizatz Haderach.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I've only been very loosely following the BBBY stuff recently and I still have no idea who Ryan Cohen is or why his Tweets matter so much to the BBBY holders.

I will occasionally peek in to see what they are discussing and it's always "tomorrow is the reckoning!" with someones 1000+ word prediction on why the price is about to skyrocket, it of course never happens and the big reckoning never comes so I similarly look forward to reading about how it's all about to turn around 2 weeks from now.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Ryan Cohen is going to buy all the dead companies that you, personally, bought and held stock in, and will merge them all together in to a Bed Bath and Beyond, Gamestop, Blockbuster blob that will fight and defeat Amazon!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Boxturret posted:

Ryan Cohen is going to buy all the dead companies that you, personally, bought and held stock in, and will merge them all together in to a Bed Bath and Beyond, Gamestop, Blockbuster blob that will fight and defeat Amazon!

This is not an exaggeration either, they literally believe this poo poo:

quote:

I'm cherishing my last days as a poor. It's truly inspiring to think about. I'll either be massively wealthy which would be nice, or I lose some money... either way, I've made loads of friends that have similar views as me and that's priceless. I'm already wondering what we'll invest in next after BBBYQ and GameStop.

If I'm being honest, loads of people here want MOASS and to sell into retirement. Ryan reads Reddit, he's for sure seen Mark Cuban's tweet about hedge funds goal of NEVER closing. I HONESTLY think Ryan is trying to give us a reason to never sell. You can't engineer a short squeeze, so he's going loving looong term. He's going to aquire all these hugely undervalued companies and loop them together into the next Amazon with the intention of delivering the best customer support and shopping experience possible. Expose the decades long infinite money glitch and let the massive short positions close over a year+ of swaps and hidden crime. In 5 years he'll have the most valuable company in the world.

I only want to sell what will change my immediate life and hold the rest forever.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i'm cherishing my last days as a poor

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Popete posted:

I've only been very loosely following the BBBY stuff recently and I still have no idea who Ryan Cohen is or why his Tweets matter so much to the BBBY holders.

I will occasionally peek in to see what they are discussing and it's always "tomorrow is the reckoning!" with someones 1000+ word prediction on why the price is about to skyrocket, it of course never happens and the big reckoning never comes so I similarly look forward to reading about how it's all about to turn around 2 weeks from now.

Cohen is a retired CEO and activist investor, and currently the effective owner of GameStop -- he's the chairman of its board, and their largest individual investor (he owns 13% of the company). He also memes a lot on Twitter.

So, of course, the apes think he's One of Them. They insist that if he comes in like Gandalf at the last hour and gets involved in BBBY's operations, the company will immediately turn around, a short squeeze will occur just like it did to Gamestop, and the apes will instantly become rich as a reward for their faith.

Of course, in practice:
* Most of the short interest in BBBY subsided when it moved to the pink sheets -- GME was still on NYSE when its squeeze happened
* Cohen's hedgefund sold all of its BBBY in August
* Nobody has any idea how Cohen's presence would turn BBBY around
* Cohen arguably didn't turn Gamestop around, it's still dying (including its ill-fated foray into NFTs)
* Even if all of the above were false, now that the markets have seen what a meme-driven short squeeze can do, they're more likely to halt trading early if it happens again. The Gamestop squeeze straight-up killed several hedge funds and briefly hosed with the metals market, the SEC expressed some displeasure, and they probably don't want a repeat.

e: Forgot one other wtf, and that's the current ape obsession with DRSing their stock, out of paranoia that brokerages will prevent them from trading it when a squeeze occurs. But, if/when the squeeze happens, a DRSed stock can take several days to sell, which would be bad given that the GME squeeze reversed itself in a few days.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 12, 2023

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Sardonik posted:

This is not an exaggeration either, they literally believe this poo poo:

Premeptive "friends we made along the way" post :lol:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sardonik posted:

quote:

either way, I've made loads of friends that have similar views as me and that's priceless

It's really a pity they couldn't just join the church choir, host a neighborhood barbecue, volunteer at the library, or something like that.

I know cults aren't a new idea, but it seems like the Internet really gave them a boost in popularity. I think it might be this stupid idea that finding a group of people who filter their thoughts to comport around a specific topic means you're finding people online who are more like-minded than you could find where you live. And then you wind up thinking the bozos in your town aren't worth talking to.

This is why I'm so glad I found the GBS Buttcoin thread.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 12, 2023

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Is anyone (not in the cult) live-blogging/tweeting decent analysis.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

cruft posted:

It's really a pity they couldn't just join the church choir, host a neighborhood barbecue, volunteer at the library, or something like that.

But how will any of these make me fantastically rich and prove my superiority to the jocks in high school and that girl who wouldn't be my prom date?

Seriously, normal people who want to be social and make friends just loving do that. gently caress me, we're all kinda doing that right now. The community they cherish is just a bunch of internet randos poo poo posting, you don't need a messianic cult built on a retired CEO to do that.

The key is that what they really want is to be proven that they're superior to everyone else, with a side of their life sucks and they want one weird trick to make it better. They just went down the hyper-capitalist path of thinking they could infinite money cheat code their way to being plutocrats. If they came from a religious background they'd be wearing tin foil hats to communicate with the space angels who are 100% going to come to earth any day now and spirit them away to a better alternate life.

See also: literally every cult that ever promised its followers a perfect, wonderful, amazing future and an escape from their current lovely life if they just join the cult, aka all of them.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Look, you don't get invited to private discords where people say gm (good morning) and gn (good night) to each other for free!

Seriously, that they had some people to say good morning to or to say good morning to them was listed as a positive of these bright, vibrant communities.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Cyrano4747 posted:

But how will any of these make me fantastically rich and prove my superiority to the jocks in high school and that girl who wouldn't be my prom date?

Seriously, normal people who want to be social and make friends just loving do that. gently caress me, we're all kinda doing that right now. The community they cherish is just a bunch of internet randos poo poo posting, you don't need a messianic cult built on a retired CEO to do that.

The key is that what they really want is to be proven that they're superior to everyone else, with a side of their life sucks and they want one weird trick to make it better. They just went down the hyper-capitalist path of thinking they could infinite money cheat code their way to being plutocrats. If they came from a religious background they'd be wearing tin foil hats to communicate with the space angels who are 100% going to come to earth any day now and spirit them away to a better alternate life.

See also: literally every cult that ever promised its followers a perfect, wonderful, amazing future and an escape from their current lovely life if they just join the cult, aka all of them.

I've been lurking the r/BBBY daily discussion thread and it's a lot of "last dip before we MOON LFGLFGLFG" all day so far. They're down 18% on the day so far.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I'm not even sure what successes Ryan Cohen has had other than Chewy. Seems like a pretty thin resume for a savior-figure.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

The key is that what they really want is to be proven that they're superior to everyone else

Ahem.

Sir, this is the SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM FORUMS. Maybe you don't understand the GRAVITAS of this, the oldest social media known to mankind.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Deptfordx posted:

Is anyone (not in the cult) live-blogging/tweeting decent analysis.
No, because for anyone not in the cult it is just legal paint drying.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Popete posted:

He's the Gamestop CEO who bought a large stake in BBBY and said some positive things about it to cause the price to spike. The second it did he sold his entire stake in the company for a fat profit.

Since they require some sort of benevolent savior figure they rapidly pivoted from "he didn't actually sell" to "he sold because he's going to merge with Gamestop" to "it's part of his plan" because to admit they got taken for a ride by a guy who wanted a quick buck would kill their whole worldview.

So basically Stockholm Syndrome

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

zedprime posted:

No, because for anyone not in the cult it is just legal paint drying.

Fair

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ullerrm posted:

e: Forgot one other wtf, and that's the current ape obsession with DRSing their stock, out of paranoia that brokerages will prevent them from trading it when a squeeze occurs. But, if/when the squeeze happens, a DRSed stock can take several days to sell, which would be bad given that the GME squeeze reversed itself in a few days.

I believe there's also a belief that their perennial enemies "the hedgies" are using fake shares to short The Lord's One Glorious Stock, and the only/best way to make sure you receive real shares is to DRS them.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Looks like they're not taking it well on r/BBBY, might create a schism between people who see the writing on the wall and those who keep the faith.

They're still discussing what color Lambo they are buying tomorrow over on r/ThePPShow

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Any news on bitcoin

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

titty_baby_ posted:

Any news on bitcoin

Now is the time to BUY BUY BUY

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Looks like they're not taking it well on r/BBBY, might create a schism between people who see the writing on the wall and those who keep the faith.

They're still discussing what color Lambo they are buying tomorrow over on r/ThePPShow

BBBY had a bunch of provisions that made it difficult for shareholders to sue, and the SEC objected to those provisions. Obviously, the apes got mad at the SEC for objecting, because why expect them to understand what is happening. After the judge struck down the objections, the apes started celebrating how shills were rekt.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Neito posted:

I believe there's also a belief that their perennial enemies "the hedgies" are using fake shares to short The Lord's One Glorious Stock, and the only/best way to make sure you receive real shares is to DRS them.

the real belief, which is embarrassing to type out because it’s so stupid, is that the reason companies’ stock goes down is because of massive short selling of the stock (indeed, that is the purpose of short selling). in order to force beloved companies into bankruptcy for (???reasons???) hedge funds, with the collaboration of brokers and the DTCC and the tacit blessing of the SEC, open vast quantities of “naked short positions” using “synthetic” or fake shares.

somehow this involves using real shares, which are on deposit with the DTCC, as the base - sort of a combination of identity theft (of a share’s identity?) and something more metaphysical, like the soul of the share is being used to create the fake share. so if your shares are held by the DTCC then you are enabling the hedge funds to borrow them/clone them/whatever to open their huge, destructive short positions, so devastating in their percentage and power of destruction. you must DRS your shares, which takes them away from the DTCC and starves the beast of the essence it needs to allow hedge funds to cover their naked short positions. once all shares are DRS’d (the “float is locked”) then hedge funds with naked short positions, ie all of them, will be forced to buy the shares from you to cover those positions and will have to beg you for money.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the real belief, which is embarrassing to type out because it’s so stupid, is that the reason companies’ stock goes down is because of massive short selling of the stock (indeed, that is the purpose of short selling). in order to force beloved companies into bankruptcy for (???reasons???) hedge funds, with the collaboration of brokers and the DTCC and the tacit blessing of the SEC, open vast quantities of “naked short positions” using “synthetic” or fake shares.

somehow this involves using real shares, which are on deposit with the DTCC, as the base - sort of a combination of identity theft (of a share’s identity?) and something more metaphysical, like the soul of the share is being used to create the fake share. so if your shares are held by the DTCC then you are enabling the hedge funds to borrow them/clone them/whatever to open their huge, destructive short positions, so devastating in their percentage and power of destruction. you must DRS your shares, which takes them away from the DTCC and starves the beast of the essence it needs to allow hedge funds to cover their naked short positions. once all shares are DRS’d (the “float is locked”) then hedge funds with naked short positions, ie all of them, will be forced to buy the shares from you to cover those positions and will have to beg you for money.
Can I get a "It can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong" with the Bed Bath and Beyond logo in the center?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

titty_baby_ posted:

Any news on bitcoin

Co-founder of $4 billion crypto ponzi scheme gets 20 years in prison, ‘Cryptoqueen’ partner remains at large
The co-founder of the fraudulent OneCoin cryptocurrency, a massive pyramid scheme that amassed over $4 billion from millions of investors worldwide, was sentenced Tuesday to 20 years in prison.

Karl Sebastian Greenwood, who orchestrated the multibillion-dollar multi-level marketing con, pleaded guilty in December to wire fraud and money laundering charges.

His partner, Ruja Ignatova, known as the “Cryptoqueen” on the FBI’s Top 10 Most Wanted list, remains at large, the Department of Justice said.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Neito posted:

Can I get a "It can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong" with the Bed Bath and Beyond logo in the center?

Amazingly, DAD LOST MY IPOD made it sound less crazy than it actually is.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

This whole BB&B thing is amusing to me as I work for one of the major Transfer Agents/Share Registrars. In particular I'm a client manager that deals with these multinationals and their shares.

The suggestion that invisible or fake shares could be used is impossible. In cases of any discrepancy the transfer agents record is deemed as the correct version. Anyone trying to add anything to the register that the transfer agent knows nothing about, cannot happen.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I think my favourite aspect is how they're convinced that once they win and all the lies and fakery is bared, they'll still get all the money they're owed because the government will have to come in and give them lambos from tax payer money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tsietisin posted:

Anyone trying to add anything to the register that the transfer agent knows nothing about, cannot happen.

Wait a minute, are you saying you work with an immutable ledger?

*takes notes*

Sir, have you heard the good word or our lord and savior crypto?