Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He was nearly 40 and spent most of last year injured, him getting hurt in some way was hardly a long shot.
I’ll stick with blood curse over his broken thumb causing his Achilles to explode.
https://twitter.com/albertbreer/status/1701617307775021442?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

I’ll stick with blood curse over his broken thumb causing his Achilles to explode.
https://twitter.com/albertbreer/status/1701617307775021442?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Manning was 35 and Montana was 37. Rodgers is about to be 40 and was coming off of his worst season.

And nevermind what a weirdly curated list that is in the first place, heh.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's time to accept what Osama tried to teach us back in 2001. Jets don't belong in New York.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

If you were going to build a new stadium in DC where would be the best practical location. The Nats did a decent job finding a spot, not sure if you can fit a second stadium. Ultimate joke answer: fit a team in the pentagon courtyard.
It's going to be tough because it sounds like they've finally just re-allocated the RFK Stadium site which is still somehow being torn down. That site probably would've been an ideal fit. It's going to have a public skatepark and stuff so that's pretty cool.

They'll probably end up in Virginia or remain in Maryland. The Caps/Wizards arena was built on top of Chinatown and practically destroyed it, so I don't think going the same route for a much larger stadium and land requirement would go over well.

In a related note, Josh Harris is angling to build a Sixers arena on top of Philly's Chinatown. It's not going over well and it better not happen.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 12, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

3 years of no playoffs is a tough sell for a new coach to keep their job, but Saleh might be able to by blaming the QB room

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

3 years of no playoffs is a tough sell for a new coach to keep their job, but Saleh might be able to by blaming the QB room

Unless there is a no brainer coaching hire available, there is no way the Jets will be able to find the next great coordinator for their next coach. The jets aren't well coached but this is a roster construction issue with a GM who has royally hosed up QB and OL for as long as he's been here.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Unless there is a no brainer coaching hire available, there is no way the Jets will be able to find the next great coordinator for their next coach. The jets aren't well coached but this is a roster construction issue with a GM who has royally hosed up QB and OL for as long as he's been here.

He’s a defensive head coach. Their defense since he took over went from like 31st in the league to top 3 minimum. How can you pretend his coaching isn’t responsible?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the jets need a young hotshot. somebody to spark their offense. they need ben johnson from the lions

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I also think Saleh should get a pass and is possibly a good coach but we're all saying this immediately after he beat the division favorites on prime time with Zach Wilson. If the Jets go 6-10 the rest of the way, the sentiment will probably change.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

He’s a defensive head coach. Their defense since he took over went from like 31st in the league to top 3 minimum. How can you pretend his coaching isn’t responsible?

It's players, not scheme. Their talent is way better than when they took over so they are better. I think their scheme is pretty mediocre.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Bip Roberts posted:

If you were going to build a new stadium in DC where would be the best practical location. The Nats did a decent job finding a spot, not sure if you can fit a second stadium. Ultimate joke answer: fit a team in the pentagon courtyard.

Not a DC resident, but the old RFK site seems pretty much perfect

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

mcmagic posted:

It's players, not scheme. Their talent is way better than when they took over so they are better. I think their scheme is pretty mediocre.

sounds like they have a good GM then!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Raku posted:

sounds like they have a good GM then!

Not good enough since he's hosed up the two most important positions. QB and OL.

People are gonna say look how much talent they have on this team as they win 7 games again and Douglas' W-L record as GM becomes even more pathetic.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Put it on top of the national mall

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
What you do as a GM almost doesn't matter if you keep messing up at OL and QB, you can't win games with those positions in disarray

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bip Roberts posted:

where RFK is is actually a pretty good choice, and DC United moved down to Navy Yard/Southwest a few years ago.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The scheme is obviously working for the players they have. Quinnen was underwhelming and you bitched about him being drafted until Saleh unlocked him. Guys like JFM, and Quincy Williams, and DJ Reed were either waiver pickups or mid-tier FA that he turned into top-flight talent. Bryce Huff. Michael Carter II. These aren't guys with pedigree but he gets massive production out of. That's good coaching.

Would you prefer schematic defensive super genius Brandon Staley?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This is the THIRD YEAR Douglas has been caught without a backup QB who can play at all. He deserves to be fired for that alone. The Jets aren't going to do anything because they will use the Rodgers injury as an excuse but objectively he's a complete failure as a GM no matter how much he's improved the roster. The results are what they are. The Jets have had a bottom 3 in the league QB situation literally EVERY SINGLE YEAR he's been the GM. GTFO.

Diva Cupcake posted:

The scheme is obviously working for the players they have. Quinnen was underwhelming and you bitched about him being drafted until Saleh unlocked him. Guys like JFM, and Quincy Williams, and DJ Reed were either waiver pickups or mid-tier FA that he turned into top-flight talent. Bryce Huff. Michael Carter II. These aren't guys with pedigree but he gets massive production out of. That's good coaching.

Would you prefer schematic defensive super genius Brandon Staley?

No I wouldn't prefer the worst coach in the league to Salah.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 12, 2023

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

mcmagic posted:

This is the THIRD YEAR Douglas has been caught without a backup QB who can play at all.

I've got some bad news about the backup QB market. There isn't even 32 guys who can be effective starters.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Jacoby Brissett was available, he did fine starting 11 games last season for the Browns.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

wandler20 posted:

I've got some bad news about the backup QB market. There isn't even 32 guys who can be effective starters.

If you're the GM of an NFL team and you're making 6 million a year it's your job to figure the gently caress out how not to have the worst QB play in the league every year of your tenure and if you royally fail at that, I'm allowed to want you fired.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

mcmagic posted:

If you're the GM of an NFL team and you're making 6 million a year it's your job to figure the gently caress out how not to have the worst QB play in the league every year of your tenure and if you royally fail at that, I'm allowed to want you fired.

I mean, it's not his fault Rodgers Achilles popped. He made the best move he possibly could have and was unlucky with the results.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

wandler20 posted:

I mean, it's not his fault Rodgers Achilles popped. He made the best move he possibly could have and was unlucky with the results.

Yeah man you can make excuses and reasons for why it's gone the way it's gone every year but I don't give a poo poo. I'm tired of watching the worst QB play in the league.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

No the best move would have been signing Derek Carr without giving up draft assets, but Douglas made it clear he was the backup plan if the Rodgers deal fell through so Carr immediately signed with the Saints who made it clear he was their #1 choice.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

mcmagic posted:

What about their scheme do you consider mediocre?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Look, it’s impossible for NYC sports fans to ever say than anything is okay. The Yankees could win 140 games and sweep the World Series and they would be bitching about the bullpen having a 3.x ERA. If they had any power, they would fire the OC the first team the team had to punt, fire the HC the second time, and burn the stadium to the ground if it happened again. There is absolutely no point in engaging with these guys.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

sirtommygunn posted:

No the best move would have been signing Derek Carr without giving up draft assets, but Douglas made it clear he was the backup plan if the Rodgers deal fell through so Carr immediately signed with the Saints who made it clear he was their #1 choice.

There was some good later round rookie qb play in the preseason, and some other semi-forgotten backups that are still pretty young and might be able to be obtained through trade. I think I'd try and go that direction instead of Winston, Brissett, or whoever.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Play posted:

They get killed on screens and draws because it's too predicable and they play too much cover 2 but any scheme is going to look good with the amount of talent they have on the DL right now. It's not like they are outsmarting anyone.... their guys are winning their 1 on 1s.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

rjmccall posted:

Look, it’s impossible for NYC sports fans to ever say than anything is okay. The Yankees could win 140 games and sweep the World Series and they would be bitching about the bullpen having a 3.x ERA. If they had any power, they would fire the OC the first team the team had to punt, fire the HC the second time, and burn the stadium to the ground if it happened again. There is absolutely no point in engaging with these guys.

Yeah man, the jets, who haven't made the playoffs in 13 loving years and haven't had a home playoff game in over 20 years are doing just great and their fans should stop being spoiled and complaining about it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Are we even sure Carr would have picked the Jets over the Saints given that he's friends with Dennis Allen

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Play posted:

That the head coach who's responsible for it has a last name that's an anagram of HEALS and healing has no place in football.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

They get killed on screens and draws because it's too predicable and they play too much cover 2 but any scheme is going to look good with the amount of talent they have on the DL right now. It's not like they are outsmarting anyone.... their guys are winning their 1 on 1s.

It's not because it's predictable; that's literally how quarters coverage works. It's exploitable through underneath routes because assuming 4 rushers, you only have 3 linebackers or 2 linebackers and a safety to cover a large swatch of field close to the LOS. You do this to take away the deep game, which they've been wildly successful at.

It works against Josh Allen particularly because he's not wired to play in a manner to beat it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

It's not because it's predictable; that's literally how quarters coverage works. It's exploitable through underneath routes because assuming 4 rushers, you only have 3 linebackers or 2 linebackers and a safety to cover a large swatch of field close to the LOS. You do this to take away the deep game, which they've been wildly successful at.

It works against Josh Allen particularly because he's not wired to play in a manner to beat it.

Yeah I don't disagree with anything you said, they match up really well against the Bills. But when they get against an offense that is a worse matchup and can get them underneath, they haven't adjusted well enough in the time Saleh has been here and they have been really hurt. The Lions pantsed them like that last year and the Patriots do it every time they play. Maybe they will adjust this year but I haven't seen it yet.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's particularly funny because when the Bills needed a FG, they then did exactly that

Their last drive went

7 yard scramble
6 yard pass
15 yard pass
8 yard pass (OPI)
15 yard pass
10 yard pass (all the above short passes with some yac where applicable)
Then a deep incompletion to the endzone, then a short incompletion, then FG

Coulda just done that all game and mixed in more rushing and not turned the ball over 4 times, but lol.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Yeah man, the jets, who haven't made the playoffs in 13 loving years and haven't had a home playoff game in over 20 years are doing just great and their fans should stop being spoiled and complaining about it.

I’m not saying that everything is perfect in Jetsland, but I am saying that this attitude that the Jets defense is secretly really bad and everyone involved should be fired is exactly what drives me crazy about sports fans around here. Just a total inability to appreciate anything that’s going well.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nodoze posted:

Are we even sure Carr would have picked the Jets over the Saints given that he's friends with Dennis Allen

Impossible to say since the Jets made very clear that they didn’t really want him, but I doubt he’d have met with them if he wasn’t open to going there and it’s certainly a better roster situation than New Orleans.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

rjmccall posted:

I’m not saying that everything is perfect in Jetsland, but I am saying that this attitude that the Jets defense is secretly really bad and everyone involved should be fired is exactly what drives me crazy about sports fans around here. Just a total inability to appreciate anything that’s going well.

I didn't say it's bad. I said it doesn't matter if it's good if the same guy who built it hosed up both QB and OL without which you can't win games.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

rjmccall posted:

What’s the point of keeping a coach and GM who can build a great defense if they still can’t get you more than 7 wins a year?

They’ve had some poo poo luck but that’s true of basically every coach/GM that gets fired. At some point you are your record and it’s looking like they’re going to be well below .500 at the end of three years.

Nobody should aspire to be the Jeff Fisher Rams.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It’s pretty funny to me that this is the year where the Jets decision making processes actually seemed good and smart and then!

And now dudes are gonna get fired for it. But yeah it’s a results business and if you don’t get results you gotta go eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

There was nothing good or smart about their decision making!!! They traded away a big draft haul for a 40 year old malcontent dipshit then refused to even attempt to build a line to protect him or get a quality backup in case he went down. That's stupid, that's loving dumb as hell!!!!!