Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Arabian Jesus posted:

Just a quick question, I have a rrsp through an old workplace and a rrsp through my current workplace that are both run through the same brokerage. Should I call them to have the two accounts merged together? Just wondering if there's any pro/con to doing that aside from my budget sheet looking a little cleaner

There's usually a form but yeah if you call them they'll help you. It won't be a merge, you'd be moving the assets in one account to the other. Because it's the same brokerage it should be super easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry for the double post, this is days later.

Has anyone here ever done a credit card chargeback to paypal? Like an idiot I bought 2 pieces of wall art from overseas, paying via paypal, the total was like $160 CAD. They arrived and didn't really look much like the website, and one of them was damaged. I contacted the seller who basically refused to do anything about it. I then remembered I paid via paypal so did the whole dispute thing there, which ended with them saying "okay if you send this back to us in Hong Kong we'll give you a refund", arbitrated by paypal. I was pissed that I'm having to pay to send at least the damaged item back but whatever, I paid another like $80 to ship this stuff back there, and I put the tracking info into the paypal dispute thread and forgot about it for a month while it went through shipping.

So the address they provided didn't exist, the package bounced and came back to me, and then Paypal denied my claim saying "the tracking is invalid", which it isn't. The case is now 'closed' and I have no recourse to comment on this or to reopen it, etc. I have called them enough times about this to know that if I phone them they'll just tell me it's closed and there's nothing I can do, despite the tracking info being clearly right there in the closed ticket.

It's only $160 but at this point I also paid for the shipping back and it's becoming a bit of a thing. I'm curious about the chargeback process, and a bit worried about what ramifications might appear for my paypal account or other payments/subscriptions that I use paypal for, if I do a chargeback. I'm imagining they'll be none to pleased to accept that credit card at least during the chargeback process and possibly after. Thanks for reading!

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 15, 2023

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Dunno about paypal, but many places ban your account when you do a chargeback.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Not with PayPal, no. But I did begin the process once, but ended up resolving it with the merchant before my bank handled it. Somehow, my bank (tangerine) still give me a bonus (like a ten dollar credit, not an actual chargeback) for having had to complain? It was weird, but good in the end.

To get the process started, I called in and complained, telling the agent I wanted to chargeback and that I'd done the whole rigmarole with the merchant already. The agent submits a case internally, and they said I'd get a follow-up once their internal team got to it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I did a PayPal charge back once. I bought a PS3 on E-Bay ages ago and the seller took the money and stopped responding. I didn't deal with PayPal at all, just called the credit card company. I recall that the recommendation at the time was to just deal with your credit card company because if you go through PayPal first and they "resolve" it your charge back might get denied.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I know for sure that paypal just obeys whatever your credit card resolution is - this was explained to me actually by a paypal customer service person on the phone who also told me that the $100 credit I was promised by a previous agent wasn't something they could do and that "nothing any agent says is a promise from paypal" so maybe I don't know after all.

This is a tiny amount of money but mostly at this point it's just the feeling of having been taken advantage of and the lizard brain response to that.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Nah it's legit to not want to be hosed over.

Ultimately it comes down to how you value your time, and the pleasure of making this as right as can be made, and if you can't risk losing your PayPal account for whatever reason.

For what it's worth, gently caress them, I'd go through the process.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Jenkl posted:

Nah it's legit to not want to be hosed over.

Ultimately it comes down to how you value your time, and the pleasure of making this as right as can be made, and if you can't risk losing your PayPal account for whatever reason.

For what it's worth, gently caress them, I'd go through the process.

I know “it’s the principle of the thing” is used almost as a joke, but it’s true.

Besides, that feeling of satisfaction is certainly worth something if this works out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I followed up using the message center thing to PayPal and despite a different person replying every 25 minutes, finally one of them is being reasonable and reopened the dispute with a note about how I did in fact provide everything required etc. We'll see how it goes.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

That’s so frustrating, I hope they do the right thing.

Separately, does anyone know of a mortgage prepayment calculator that lets you put in multiple types of prepayment?

I’ve been using https://itools-ioutils.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/MC-CH/MC-CH-eng.aspx

We’re considering a one-time payment at the end of the year in addition to a small top-up each payment. With this calculator I can only enter one or the other. I just want to see how the numbers shake out to figure out what we can afford and how much of a difference it would make (a tiny top-up makes a huge difference over the amortization period!). Thanks. :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone here that has a equifax acct,

https://my.equifax.ca/login

I cannot log in for the life of me regardless if I use FF or Edge. I enter my email, password and just get the red rotating animation for "logging in" which goes on forever.

Is it super fussy with a browser or popup blockers or something?

e: It appears it was ublock origin causing the issue. Nevermind! Leaving this up in case someone else runs into it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Private tabs also work.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Anyone here gotten a FHSA yet?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

mila kunis posted:

Nope, but I'm a disability advisor and getting a bunch of people asking if the First Home Savings Account is considered an exempt asset for the purpose of stuff like PWD/AISH/ODSP/etc.

As far as we can tell, non-exempt so you have to keep it under your asset limit. If any of you more financial savvy types hear otherwise, let me know!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

mila kunis posted:

Yep.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
So I guess the order of priority for contributions for someone like me that's forever priced out of property would be FHSA -> TFSA -> RRSP?

Or FHSA -> RRSP -> TFSA if in a sufficiently high tax bracket?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

mila kunis posted:

So I guess the order of priority for contributions for someone like me that's forever priced out of property would be FHSA -> TFSA -> RRSP?

Or FHSA -> RRSP -> TFSA if in a sufficiently high tax bracket?

Are you planning on buying a house with the money at some point? If so, maxing the FHSA first is wise. Otherwise, it's just the same as your RRSP, with the exception that your employer probably doesn't contribute into it. Eitherway, you should open an account just to start accumulating the contribution room.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry for the double post, this is days later.

Has anyone here ever done a credit card chargeback to paypal? Like an idiot I bought 2 pieces of wall art from overseas, paying via paypal, the total was like $160 CAD. They arrived and didn't really look much like the website, and one of them was damaged. I contacted the seller who basically refused to do anything about it. I then remembered I paid via paypal so did the whole dispute thing there, which ended with them saying "okay if you send this back to us in Hong Kong we'll give you a refund", arbitrated by paypal. I was pissed that I'm having to pay to send at least the damaged item back but whatever, I paid another like $80 to ship this stuff back there, and I put the tracking info into the paypal dispute thread and forgot about it for a month while it went through shipping.

So the address they provided didn't exist, the package bounced and came back to me, and then Paypal denied my claim saying "the tracking is invalid", which it isn't. The case is now 'closed' and I have no recourse to comment on this or to reopen it, etc. I have called them enough times about this to know that if I phone them they'll just tell me it's closed and there's nothing I can do, despite the tracking info being clearly right there in the closed ticket.

It's only $160 but at this point I also paid for the shipping back and it's becoming a bit of a thing. I'm curious about the chargeback process, and a bit worried about what ramifications might appear for my paypal account or other payments/subscriptions that I use paypal for, if I do a chargeback. I'm imagining they'll be none to pleased to accept that credit card at least during the chargeback process and possibly after. Thanks for reading!

Okay quoting myself but after like 2-3 months and having to get them to reopen the case 3 times after they closed the case 3 times in the seller's favor:

Finally some justice in this bitch.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Next time you should probably just do a chargeback instead of waiting for Paypal to pull its head out of its rear end.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Any downside to buying a HISA ETF like CASH.TO for short term investing with money you might need in a year or so? I saw that banks were grumbling about their existence, so idk.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

McGavin posted:

Next time you should probably just do a chargeback instead of waiting for Paypal to pull its head out of its rear end.

doesn't a chargeback to PayPal mean that they kill your account entirely?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

mila kunis posted:

Any downside to buying a HISA ETF like CASH.TO for short term investing with money you might need in a year or so? I saw that banks were grumbling about their existence, so idk.

Banks grumbling about something usually means it's a good deal for the consumer.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

They didn't back when I did one, but that was years ago and things might have changed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

McGavin posted:

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah I was afraid of this. The same person from paypal that told me this wouldn't happen literally told me in the sentence prior that nothing a paypal representative says is actually a promise for them to do it (in regards to $100 credit I was offered by another agent). I didn't want to go through another headache of having to deal with them - also my bank is HSBC and they're insanely bad to deal with also.

mila kunis posted:

What rates are they offering? I tried to google it and it kept going to www .cash.to and I gave up (don't go there).

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

What rates are they offering? I tried to google it and it kept going to www .cash.to and I gave up (don't go there).

https://horizonsetfs.com/ETF/cash/

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
At various points in my life I would’ve said it’s silly to avoid just opening a HISA yourself. But as I’m currently in a “simplify things” stage, I see the upside to using the brokerage account you already have.

Wonder if CDIC coverage works different when there’s a fund manager in between you and the savings account? Aside from that, management fees, commission, and market hours, I can’t think of a downside to CASH.TO.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Pretty sure it isn't cdic insured.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Jenkl posted:

Pretty sure it isn't cdic insured.

https://horizonsetfs.com/wp-content/product-sheets/EN/CASH-Product-Sheet.pdf?ver=1694549939

The product sheet says it is not CDIC insured, so I suppose you hold the risk of the underlying bank losing the fund's deposits?

Another consideration is whether the distribution is taxed as interest as it would be if you were holding it directly, or taxed as something else because you're holding it through the ETF (dividend?). One interesting point is that the fund may be able to get higher institutional interest rates than you would as an individual investor.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
They aren't insured, they're primarily taxed as interest and the rates when I've compared are a bit less than the best you'll find yourself but not generally worryingly lower. Where it sits with rates varies pretty constantly though and you have to actively watch it because you aren't going to know what it was last month unless you're watching it.

I've had to put a reminder in my calender to spot check the effective interest rate every couple of months so I don't forget.

Oh, I think the major ones are specifically diversified across institutions to mitigate the risk of being uninsured. So if a bank goes down, you lose some but not all of the assets.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My wife and I are looking at insurance and I was wondering if the 50k Critical Illness thing is worth it. It’s ~$40 a month and some of the things I’ve read have not been super praising of it.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

I started writing a lot of words because there's a lot of things you could say, but really it all starts with:

What need are you trying to fill, exactly, here?

Never buy insurance because you read it's what people with their finances together do or whatever, that's how my lovely yet gullible MIL got tricked into buying term policies on children, loving leeches.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

It's something where you need to read the policy carefully. It's (generally) a very high payout item, so the insurance companies don't want to actually make any payments, so there's usually lots of disclaimers/outs/etc. You'll probably have a lot of "why didn't you do X before the diagnosis to mitigate it?" questions to deal with.

But could be good if your risk category is higher like what your work life is like (maybe you do asbestos removal?) or some other higher risk type of job where weird things happen years down the road...

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Is there a place to read more about insurance products that isn’t also trying to sell them to you, outside of asking lots of questions ITT?

I loaded up on personal insurance a few years ago because I was our sole income and took a job where I didn’t get any coverage through work. I’ve cancelled some of it since then, but I still have term life and critical illness and I don’t know if I still need them… I had no idea at the time that I could make the term on the life insurance shorter, either, because I spoke to a bunch of brokers who didn’t mention it. :sigh:

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

kaom posted:

Is there a place to read more about insurance products that isn’t also trying to sell them to you, outside of asking lots of questions ITT?

I loaded up on personal insurance a few years ago because I was our sole income and took a job where I didn’t get any coverage through work. I’ve cancelled some of it since then, but I still have term life and critical illness and I don’t know if I still need them… I had no idea at the time that I could make the term on the life insurance shorter, either, because I spoke to a bunch of brokers who didn’t mention it. :sigh:

No, there really isn't. Ask away. I can tell you now I'm going to ask you what exactly are the needs you're trying to fill (what worry do you think the insurance will make go away?)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jenkl posted:

I started writing a lot of words because there's a lot of things you could say, but really it all starts with:

What need are you trying to fill, exactly, here?

Never buy insurance because you read it's what people with their finances together do or whatever, that's how my lovely yet gullible MIL got tricked into buying term policies on children, loving leeches.

Actually one thing he is proposing is a $30/mth policy on our daughter, which she can apparently take money out of if she wants when she’s older or something that sounded fishy. Is that something that is usually unnecessary?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Actually one thing he is proposing is a $30/mth policy on our daughter, which she can apparently take money out of if she wants when she’s older or something that sounded fishy. Is that something that is usually unnecessary?

Children don't usually have dependants, so it's a weird thing, if I'm understanding it. Being able to take money out of it later sounds suspicious and I assume it would be extremely fee'd. Better to just start an RESP or whatever for a kid I would assume.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It’s another Critical Illness thing I’m pretty sure

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Children have no dependents and don't need insurance.

If the need is "save money for my kids later" then just do that.

Since you are asking here, I'm going to assume you are not wealthy enough to be in one of the weird corner cases of estate or tax planning that would have you considering something like a permanent policy on a child.

Edit: also, if she can pull money out, it sounds like a UL or maybe even par product. Not CI.
You're being sold poo poo. Stop letting them tell you about poo poo and start with understanding what exactly you are trying to insure/get peace of mind in.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, we were sent the stuff today and we’ll look at it, but we’ve decided not to get anything for the kid. Still on the fence about CI for us. I want to look at the exclusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, we were sent the stuff today and we’ll look at it, but we’ve decided not to get anything for the kid. Still on the fence about CI for us. I want to look at the exclusions.

One thing I think really helps when talking about life insurance products or financial products that masquerade as insurance is being really clear about who the different actors are. At a minimum, you should be able to answer explicitly who the beneficiary is, who is paying the premiums, and who's death the policy will pay out on.

I've noticed in casual discussion the phrase "I have life insurance" can refer to any of these 3 things, which is not useful for understanding what the actual relationships are between the speaker and the policy.