Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I saw vision s2 and I am going to hold onto it until my daughter is old enough because if S1 knew how to pander to me, s2 to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Stegosnaurlax posted:

The emperor wipes the floor with them both

Yeah and this is one of my all-time favorite lightsaber battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7hBZNsPnyg

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

stev posted:

Maybe the issue is that we haven't seen enough hyperspace jumps go wrong. Whenever anyone takes a risk they get lucky. We need to see someone more people jump into stars or too close to a planet.
We get a taste of this in the Clone Wars finale.

Granted, that was largely due to someone destroying the hyperdrive engine while in flight but I think it gets the point across.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Chopper wouldn’t scab, he’d relish the opportunity to bully strikebreakers and fight space pinkertons

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Narsham posted:

I haven’t seen Clone Wars. Are there examples there of two-on-one saber fights that go well for the two? Because most of the examples I can think of from other shows or movies suggest that even two trained Jedi fighting together will enconter problems if they gang up on one Sith instead of clowning on mobs of regular enemies. Maul manages to separate his foes; Dooku only loses his rematch when Anakin has to solo him. Rey/Ren fight together well but aren’t really in a two-on-one saber duel at any point.

The Rebels fights I can think of follow the Revenge of the Sith pattern where one combatant gets taken out of the fight and the remaining one wins, but I may be forgetting a few as there are a lot more “two Jedi versus some number of Inquisitors” situations. I’d assume Clone Wars has more two-on-one situations.

I think the closest is the "Elder" Visions episode. It still follows the formula of one jedi gets taken out -> other finishes the job, but the only major difference is both of them walk away after the bad guy gets axed :shrug:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I just caught up on Ahsoka and. Uh.

It's fine I guess? No one is expressive enough. Everything feels kinda monotonous. As if we're back in the prequels
:downsrim:

I feel like absolute everything in this series -- every beat, every element, every bit of story and character and action -- has already been done before somewhere else. Not always done better...but also, yeah, sometimes done better. I don't actually care about anything here enough to be particularly put off by any of it, though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

maybealabia posted:

The rebellion couldn't reply in kind if they wanted to for several reasons

The Death Star is an engineering project on a preposterous scale, and the super weapon is apparently powered by a vanishingly rare resource

Nevermind that terrorism like blowing up a planet is not a useful strategy for a rebellion against that very type of thing

This is why that first scene on the death star in ANH is one of my favourite ever for world building - we learn from the villains themselves that they don't think the military can maintain order without the Death Star, and then the Death Star blows up. Perfect establishing stakes for the film.

It's not that the Death Star was an atrocity machine, the film starts with the rebellion gaining support then the Empire pivots to totalitarian rule in a way that they know will result in an escalation to civil war if their WMD deterrent doesn't work out.

e: and yeah, Ashoka is watchable but bland, not doing anything really new, and fundamentally doesn't seem to be about anything. Andor is a show that is definitely About Something. The two hour film version of Kenobi is about something. Ashoka feels like a live action adaptation of a children's sunday morning cartoon that's being done in live action for the novelty of it - the story is going in the vague direction of being about the IMPORTANCE OF FAMILY without really committing to anything with real depth.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 12, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alchenar posted:

Ashoka feels like a live action adaptation of a children's sunday morning cartoon that's being done in live action for the novelty of it -

Look who made it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also it’s literally a direct sequel to one of the cartoons (Star Wars Rebels) and the main character was first introduced in the Clone Wars series. It was also explicitly marketed as such from the beginning

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The problem I see with the cartoon framing is that when grading it as a cartoon it's been a pretty bad one, outside of arguably like the last 15 minutes of the most recent ep.

This show is kinda neither fish nor fowl. The only thing you can decisively say it is, is boring

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

No Mods No Masters posted:

The problem I see with the cartoon framing is that when grading it as a cartoon it's been a pretty bad one, outside of arguably like the last 15 minutes of the most recent ep.

This show is kinda neither fish nor fowl. The only thing you can decisively say it is, is boring

In your opinion (which is fine but you really need to stop framing it as a definite fact), there’s been plenty of others in this thread that disagree with you

That said, I will admit that even for someone familiar with what the material this show is building off of it’s been kind of slow paced so far (it feels like we could have gotten to the point the previous episode left off on about 2 or 3 episodes sooner) but I would by no means call it boring

It’s not perfect by any stretch but I feel like it’s a bit of a step up from Obi-Wan or Boba Fett at least

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 12, 2023

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Ahsoka means the same thing star wars always means: Use space magic and love to stop space nazis.

This flavour of it just has more lightsabre spectacles than political speeches, which isn't going to be for the people that only want more of the latter.

I'm looking forward to whatever Thrawn speech we get though.

E: While I have no issues myself with the pacing, I can understand some of the complaints, and when recommending Ahsoka to others in the future, I will definitely be recommending they watch the first half before they decide if they want to follow through watching the second half. It's a bit of a commitment for a miniseries for some, but it is what it is. About half an hour longer than a normal star wars movie.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 12, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I haven't been bored by one moment of the show

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The show has been fine, but like some of the dialog and pauses in them feel like they need to be run at like 1.15-1.25 speed.

Filoni is really showing his limitations wrt writing and plotting out Live Action.

A bunch of these scenes would probably work better in animation, if during the drawn out dialog the animators were able to do an animation with an like exaggerated representation of the emotion that the character was feeling and the reaction to said emotion. And not 'subtle' acting from live action actors.

It's better than Obi-Wan and Boba despite this, because it actually feels somewhat character driven.

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
They mistakenly took 4 episodes to basically do next to nothing new or novel except introduce some new characters, and that is a shame for anyone not already bought in. Anyone who watched Rebels already knew most of what we have seen or at least could have easily intuited this would be the plot of the first episode or two, and at this point something really has to happen. Here is hoping it doesn't suck rear end. The show seems slow and self indulgent 4 episodes in, but if they are going to over indulge on something at least it's on poo poo I never thought I would see on screen to begin with.

As a rebels enjoyer, I'm of the opinion that if Disney wants to give DF millions of dollars to make his cartoon dreams come true in live action there are worse ways to waste their money.

Also people bashing Hera for bringing a kid to a space battle are dumb. She's been bringing kids on terrorist missions from the very start.

GarudaPrime fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 12, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've been re watching rebels since Ahsoka started and now that I'm paying more attention to the credits Filoni doesn't actually write or even direct most of the show until the second half of the final season

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I just don't see "child soldiery is extremely normal in this setting" as a great argument to endorse child soldiery

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Leia was like 14 running guns and supplies to rebel cells lol

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

I just don't see "child soldiery is extremely normal in this setting" as a great argument to endorse child soldiery

Good thing nobody has done that, then

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, I’m hoping Zeb joins the party soon (they went to the trouble of making a live action/CG version of him for Mando Season 3 so it’d be weird if it didn’t show up here as well)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

maybealabia posted:

Good thing nobody has done that, then

Seems tedious, but if we must, do you really think I'm being that uncharitable characterizing below? Feel free to give me your read on the real argument here, but I have a feeling my criticisms are going to be similar

GarudaPrime posted:

Also people bashing Hera for bringing a kid to a space battle are dumb. She's been bringing kids on terrorist missions from the very start.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

site posted:

I've been re watching rebels since Ahsoka started and now that I'm paying more attention to the credits Filoni doesn't actually write or even direct most of the show until the second half of the final season

Filoni was supervising director for early Rebels, as he had been on Clone Wars. Basically he was running the show, directing individual episodes as he wanted/needed to.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dexo posted:

A bunch of these scenes would probably work better in animation, if during the drawn out dialog the animators were able to do an animation with an like exaggerated representation of the emotion that the character was feeling and the reaction to said emotion. And not 'subtle' acting from live action actors.

This just makes me want to see the show redone with each character going full Looney Tunes in every frame but still with the same dialogue audio.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Seems tedious, but if we must, do you really think I'm being that uncharitable characterizing below? Feel free to give me your read on the real argument here, but I have a feeling my criticisms are going to be similar

Yes it's problematic in the absolute sense

No, it's not making any sort of argument for the real world at all. This setting is full of even more problematic things but this show isn't about any of them.

Kids being in on dangerous adventures is as old as all-ages entertainment

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Also this is the same series that had, like, 8 year old Anakin pilot a ship in a battle as a joke and not even treated as one of the traumatic aspects of his childhood.

Edit: for the record I think it's a bad sign when threads turn to nitpicky debates like this because that usually means the show itself is just not that interesting. Nobody would care about details like this if they were being wowed away by the rest.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 12, 2023

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think that may just mean the thread is bad

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Lobok posted:

This just makes me want to see the show redone with each character going full Looney Tunes in every frame but still with the same dialogue audio.

Genndy Tartakovsky's Ahsoka

Ironically Ahsoka is like the one big clone wars character that wasn't around yet for his Clone Wars

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just feel like this show is going to end and we'll ask what it was all about and the answer will be 'we introduced a live action thrawn to be the villain for the next stage of Star Wars cinematic universe products' and that will be it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

mycot posted:

Also this is the same series that had, like, 8 year old Anakin pilot a ship in a battle as a joke and not even treated as one of the traumatic aspects of his childhood.

Edit: for the record I think it's a bad sign when threads turn to nitpicky debates like this because that usually means the show itself is just not that interesting. Nobody would care about details like this if they were being wowed away by the rest.

Yeah I mean, this is part of it failing on the terms of a cartoon I think. People probably didn't muster these kinds of objections to rebels or whatever because it successfully set the pacing and tone of a rollicking space adventure cartoon. This show is slow paced and largely uneventful enough that it gives you plenty of time to think.

I mean hera's speech about how only Troops understand Sacrifice or whatever, while completely generic and disposable in a vacuum, was one of the only things of note that even happened in the third ep

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

site posted:

As a counterpoint to this, "Tales of the Jedi" were all written and directed by him, and with the exception of maybe the first episode are all legit bangers. Just peak Feloni verse artworks.

Anyone who is at all a fan of clone wars NEEDS to watch totJ. I didn't bother until someone really told me to in no uncertain terms. Let me be that someone for anyone who hasn't bothered to yet.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think a big problem about modern star wars is that it often isn't about anything. Like there aren't really clear themes or a message or topic its addressing. The show is simply about "more star wars". The themes included are "what if more star wars". The show really gives you a lot of ideas to chew on, like "what if fight, but more jetpacks?" or "what if superweapon, but bigger???"

Andor was absolutely about many things, and it had a lot to say about those things. It's why still you're getting people churning out multi-hour video essays on it and having interesting things to say. But most of modern star wars really doesn't seem to have anything to say other than the very surface level reading of the plot. What the show is "about" is that the hero needs to get from A to B to stop X, and along the way there's a cool fight. Then there's another cool fight. Then there's a space battle. Then it turns out there's a very telegraphed twist, but the hero quickly solves it within the same episode via fighting. Then there's a very big fight and the series is over. Until next season of course, which there will be more plots involving moving from one set piece fight to the next.

If pressed on questions of theme or message it will always be some nebulous nothing about "family" or "standing up to fight for what's right" and even then the series won't actually have anything consistent or interesting to say on those topics. So to me anyways, they often end up feeling like a boring slog. The most exciting action scene just doesn't mean anything if it's not part of an overall plot that is about something. They become video games where the action exists simply to be an action scene rather than being a key part of the plot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GarudaPrime posted:

As a counterpoint to this, "Tales of the Jedi" were all written and directed by him, and with the exception of maybe the first episode are all legit bangers. Just peak Feloni verse artworks.

Anyone who is at all a fan of clone wars NEEDS to watch totJ. I didn't bother until someone really told me to in no uncertain terms. Let me be that someone for anyone who hasn't bothered to yet.

Apparently there's supposed to be a second round of episodes coming out for it next year as well

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

skasion posted:

Filoni was supervising director for early Rebels, as he had been on Clone Wars. Basically he was running the show, directing individual episodes as he wanted/needed to.

Yeah but people are probably noticing a difference between rebels and Ahsoka and even his episodes on Mando because he wasn't the one actually doing the real moment to moment writing, just the high level story

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

maybealabia posted:

Yes it's problematic in the absolute sense

No, it's not making any sort of argument for the real world at all. This setting is full of even more problematic things but this show isn't about any of them.

Kids being in on dangerous adventures is as old as all-ages entertainment

It's problematic and the audience should see the consequences of such a thing.

And the only way is if Jacen takes a lightsaber through the chest.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

It's problematic and the audience should see the consequences of such a thing.

And the only way is if Jacen takes a lightsaber through the chest.

Finally, something all the posters can agree on :yeah:

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Baronjutter posted:

I think a big problem about modern star wars is that it often isn't about anything. Like there aren't really clear themes or a message or topic its addressing. The show is simply about "more star wars". The themes included are "what if more star wars". The show really gives you a lot of ideas to chew on, like "what if fight, but more jetpacks?" or "what if superweapon, but bigger???"

Andor was absolutely about many things, and it had a lot to say about those things. It's why still you're getting people churning out multi-hour video essays on it and having interesting things to say. But most of modern star wars really doesn't seem to have anything to say other than the very surface level reading of the plot. What the show is "about" is that the hero needs to get from A to B to stop X, and along the way there's a cool fight. Then there's another cool fight. Then there's a space battle. Then it turns out there's a very telegraphed twist, but the hero quickly solves it within the same episode via fighting. Then there's a very big fight and the series is over. Until next season of course, which there will be more plots involving moving from one set piece fight to the next.

If pressed on questions of theme or message it will always be some nebulous nothing about "family" or "standing up to fight for what's right" and even then the series won't actually have anything consistent or interesting to say on those topics. So to me anyways, they often end up feeling like a boring slog. The most exciting action scene just doesn't mean anything if it's not part of an overall plot that is about something. They become video games where the action exists simply to be an action scene rather than being a key part of the plot.

Yeah I agree with most of this except I find even the action scenes to often be boring. They remind me a lot of MCU movies where it's just a generic CGI fest with no stakes or drama, unremarkable cinematography, and serviceable-at-best choreography. Mandalorian had some interesting stuff early on but even that just turned into an endless swarm of flying CGI dudes. Lightsaber duels are boring as poo poo. Bring back the original trilogy or the prequel trilogy version. Characters should either be giving speeches or doing twirls and spins and poo poo.

GarudaPrime posted:

That's surprising tbh. I found that show way better than anything in Rebels or Ahsoka so far. It was pretty good although very short.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I thought the light saber fight between Ahsoka and Pullo was cool :smith:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rappaport posted:

I thought the light saber fight between Ahsoka and Pullo was cool :smith:

:hmmyes:

I do like that they seem to have figured out lightsabers at least

I am very curious if, say, an Obi-Wan Blu-Ray will go back and fix them there too

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think a lot of people are enjoying Ahsoka on different levels, and posting what they enjoy about it. It's only a handful of posters that are upset that the next star wars thing isn't just more Andor, and feel the need to post repeatedly about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

To be clear, I think that Filoni is absolutely great when he is in his lane, and that lane is pacy, 20 minute stories with a simple core message that capture the essence of star wars in a way that an extremely small number of people know how to do. The problem is that the lane is narrow and he's not great outside of it.