Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Perestroika posted:

IIRC they tried to do some sort of streaming release, where you could download the game in parts and start playing earlier while the rest still downloaded, like you can do with the blizzard launcher. Trouble is that they just attempted to sort of hack it into the Steam DLC system and it super didn't work.

Or was that MK9?

Aaah yeah, that was it. And the initial port wasn't done by QLOC either, it was by somebody else. QLOC only did the MKXL version later.

drat the graphics look so good. Thank god they finally left the oldgen consoles behind. I just hope a 3080 is going to be good enough for 4k :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The MK9 PC port was okay, it's biggest issue IIRC was that the FMVs in the story were way too compressed for some reason.

MKX PC was an abject disaster at launch. The DLC-based "streaming install" thing failed to work properly on day 1, performance on some stages was miserable, a massive patch broke everyone's savegames, requiring a second massive patch to revert back to the previous version (and for them to give everyone affected the unlock-everything DLC for free), and it didn't get the MKXL update with the second season of DLC, rollback etc. for a very long time. The MKXL update was ported over by a different studio (QLOC) that had previously worked on Capcom's PC ports, and it was thankfully a big improvement.

I think QLOC worked on MK11 and it was mostly fine with some launch quirks, and they're doing the PC port for MK1, so it'll probably be the same story.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Oh drat they gave Mileena the Tarkat blades that’s kinda dope

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Lmao loving Reiko :allears:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

The thing that gives me pause is all the juggling. And I know its been a part of fighting games for a long time. Its the very core of what combat is, you make a mistake, you get punished. But being juggled and bouncing off the floor for these really drawn out combos with nothing that can be done until the combo is exhausted or your opponent makes a mistake just irks me. I guess its something I just have to learn to deal with.

It seems floatier, right? If so I guess it will be easier to execute combos but you end up spending a lot of time watching yourself get juggled. Or burn all your meter to break.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Anyone preloading yet? What’s the size on this bitch

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Baraka and Reptile being on the hero side (I assume) is pretty cool. probably works out now that there's Reiko, Nitara, Havik, and Sindel shoring up the villains.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Sindel is a villain?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rhonne posted:

Sindel is a villain?

I recall one of these trailers showing her "Surprise, I'm really a bad guy!" speech

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sindel appears to be the emperor of Outworld, maybe?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sindel certainly has a visual villain vibe once she goes full Big Hair mode. I'm curious what they'll do with Mileena though, since she seems to have a much more sympathetic backstory this time around.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That trailer pretty much konfirmed that the Shang Tsung is going to be the story’s big bad, so that’s cool. I preordered but I won’t be able to play it until next week because I’ll be out of town this weekend.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

codo27 posted:

The thing that gives me pause is all the juggling. And I know its been a part of fighting games for a long time. Its the very core of what combat is, you make a mistake, you get punished. But being juggled and bouncing off the floor for these really drawn out combos with nothing that can be done until the combo is exhausted or your opponent makes a mistake just irks me. I guess its something I just have to learn to deal with.

While breakers are really expensive this time out, requiring a full bar and an available Kameo, they do still exist.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Perestroika posted:

Sindel certainly has a visual villain vibe once she goes full Big Hair mode.

When we finally get Street Fighter X Mortal Kombat, playing Sindel vs. Necalli comes with a possibility of the two of them getting tangled up mid-fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

When we finally get Street Fighter X Mortal Kombat, playing Sindel vs. Necalli comes with a possibility of the two of them getting tangled up mid-fight.

That would require anyone remembering Necalli exists.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

That would require anyone remembering Necalli exists.

Who?

The big hair guy?

Even the creators of SFV forgot he exists

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Necalli is the Kotal Khan of Street Fighter.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Kotal Khan is actually loving awesome though

Like honestly the new outworlders from X on are great

I hope they get in as DLC

Necali got advertised as the next big threat to the world, like a JoJo Pillar Man, and ended up being a jobber to literally everyone he faced.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Kotal owns, even if he jobs a lot. I respect him.

Anyway, on PS5 the initial download is 115gb, give or take. lol, lmao, etc

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Games are big now, shock and awe

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

that's a lot of kontent.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MK11 was about the same size.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is it pretty much assumed that the Kombat Pack 1 will be $40? I guess i might as well go for the MK1 Premium Edition then. fwiw, the Kombat Pack 1 for MK11 was $40, and I wouldn't expect this one to be less. Soooooo $110 is a great deal!! :shepspends:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Minidust posted:

Is it pretty much assumed that the Kombat Pack 1 will be $40? I guess i might as well go for the MK1 Premium Edition then. fwiw, the Kombat Pack 1 for MK11 was $40, and I wouldn't expect this one to be less. Soooooo $110 is a great deal!! :shepspends:

you can get 15-17% off on greenmangaming if you're getting it for PC.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The woman talking to Shang Tsung in the trailer is Kronika, right? I’m not crazy?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The woman talking to Shang Tsung in the trailer is Kronika, right? I’m not crazy?

I think you are correct

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jerkface posted:

you can get 15-17% off on greenmangaming if you're getting it for PC.

Do we know when the Greenman keys go out? Like, will I be able to play on the 14th or do I have to wait until the 19th? The last game I preordered was MK11 and I don't remember how that worked.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

TulliusCicero posted:

Kotal Khan is actually loving awesome though

Like honestly the new outworlders from X on are great

I hope they get in as DLC

Necali got advertised as the next big threat to the world, like a JoJo Pillar Man, and ended up being a jobber to literally everyone he faced.

Takeda is on the KP1 list and Im super exited to see how they work him out. The bladed whips were rad as hell.

e: I see now you said "outworlders". But im still excited for Takeda.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Unbound posted:

Takeda is on the KP1 list and Im super exited to see how they work him out. The bladed whips were rad as hell.

e: I see now you said "outworlders". But im still excited for Takeda.

Nah honestly all the new characters besides maybe Kung Jin and Jaqui were great, and they were fine, just kinda boring design wise

Cassie and Takeda were definitely the two big winners of the Kombat Kidz though

X is an amazing game, and I miss it

Wan't a big fan of Mortal Injustice 11. I hated the systems and the gear bullshit, starting roster was just meh too, and honestly way too many guest characters taking valuable slots in the dlc

I don't mind a few here and there, but I really just want a lot of MK characters both old and new to play, not "Popular movie man" vs "Popular movie monster"

That's just me though

The kp pack 1 I think I am just going to get Quan, Takeda, and Ermac separately, idc about any of the 3 supes tbh, unless in action they really impress me or something

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 12, 2023

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

TulliusCicero posted:

way too many guest characters taking valuable slots in the dlc

I don't mind a few here and there, but I really just want a lot of MK characters both old and new to play, not "Popular movie man" vs "Popular movie monster"

That's just me though

No, I feel this too. As fun as Terminator, Jason, and Freddy were to see, I would have preferred any of the nearly 60 pre-existing MK characters instead.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Yeah I have never liked the guest characters and would wish that they would stop getting shoe horned into MK games.

Things were way more fun when there were secret battles and hidden characters instead.

I do like that mk1 is trying to de-shitify the 3D characters as its primary gimmick and so far they seem to be doing a half decent job of it

Not getting Tagawa again to do the voice and likeness of Shang Tsung is criminal to me however. That was by far the best highlight of MK11

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It seems like they’re using his likeness for Shujinko? Which is certainly a choice, if it has some connection to the timey wimey plot.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The brief bit we hear of the Shang VA in that launch trailer sounds like the new guy is leaning into a Tagawa impression anyway.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Unbound posted:

No, I feel this too. As fun as Terminator, Jason, and Freddy were to see, I would have preferred any of the nearly 60 pre-existing MK characters instead.

I'd rather have Skarlet, Cassie, Goro, or Ferra Tor, Jade, or a Noob Saibot, robo ninja be confirmed to be back over any of the super in MK1

Hell more refined 3d kombat kast as well

Just stack this game with MK characters in the new universe

I'm sure the guest characters are a wierd reason why MK 11 sold well though

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The guest kharacters in this are very clearly stuff they got the rights for while planning Injustice 3. Saves me some money, at least.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I was ok with stuff like Freddy and Jason since they kind of fit as horrordrome guest appearances with brutal streaks but since it's been veering heavier into superhero bullshit like Joker and all the guest characters of MK1 so far, I kind of loving hate this tradition now. half of the 6 DLC chars being "two evil supermen, and gun man" low key sucks rear end, would have rather gotten just like, Homelander Drahmin and Skarlet lol.

can anyone who watched story mode stuff answer in a simple spoiler'd yes or no if the final character in the game for the last slot is Kronika?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

I was ok with stuff like Freddy and Jason since they kind of fit as horrordrome guest appearances with brutal streaks but since it's been veering heavier into superhero bullshit like Joker and all the guest characters of MK1 so far, I kind of loving hate this tradition now. half of the 6 DLC chars being "two evil supermen, and gun man" low key sucks rear end, would have rather gotten just like, Homelander Drahmin and Skarlet lol.

can anyone who watched story mode stuff answer in a simple spoiler'd yes or no if the final character in the game for the last slot is Kronika?

—-No—-

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

MKX did the guest stuff perfectly and everything so far everything afterward has been extremely "who cares"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Ew, Shang’s turned the Black Goo into green goo but with the same basic result.

Who’s the dude who looks like Zartan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Sentinel Red posted:

Who’s the dude who looks like Zartan?

That's Reiko. He debuted in MK4.

In the original timeline, he was one of Shao's warlords, but everything about him was overtly filler.

In the remake timeline, he was the villain of the MKX weekly digital comic.