Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Pigbuster posted:

It's so baffling because they could've just increased their share of the revenue split if they're so jonesing for cash; tying an additional fee to installs is just bizarre and complicated. It's like they got creative to avoid news articles about the revenue split going up and came up with something far worse

My best guess is they want to distance themselves from f2p games. Which doesn't make a lot of sense strategically since that's where they have 90+% marketshare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

The Kins posted:

I suspect their choosing installs as their revenue thing rather than purchases is to try and get a cut of games that get onto Game Pass, PS+ and whatever other subscription services crawl out there.
It seems more like it totally destroys those models and makes them not feasible.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Kins posted:

I suspect their choosing installs as their revenue thing rather than purchases is to try and get a cut of games that get onto Game Pass, PS+ and whatever other subscription services crawl out there.

gently caress me that's totally it, isn't it

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

leper khan posted:

My best guess is they want to distance themselves from f2p games. Which doesn't make a lot of sense strategically since that's where they have 90+% marketshare

The announcement specifically mentioned that they'd partially waive the fees for f2p games in exchange for using unity's own ad platform.
They're not trying to distance themselves from f2p, they're trying to muscle f2p games into using more of the unity ecosystem.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
We weren't sure about our studio going for GODOT, but now we are :)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Its the opposite. They wany to do this to milk f2p games even more.

As a random example of a big unity game, last month genshin got *4 million downloads* on *mobile alone*. Probably 5 million if you include pc and ps4/5.

Games with no entry fee build up downloads like crazy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hahaha gently caress John Ricitiello

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah this seems like a classic case of a party attempting to insert themselves as a middleman and extracting a fee

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they've fallen insurmountably behind unreal engine in terms of high-spec/AAA features so i guess this is them giving up and doubling down on shovelware

it's a shame because it seemed like they were turning things around, they brought on some top tier engineering talent to overhaul things but the company is such a mess that most of their work never really came together into something production-ready, and then most of that talent got laid off

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Genshin and Hearthstone are big enough to reach the 1 cent per install rate. Which is a nuisance but nothing cataclysmic (as long as the "malicious installer" problem can be solved). But who would ever start a game in Unity now? They might as well lay off all their devs this company has no future beyond the GaaS games already stuck on the platform.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 12, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
It's amusing to think that it's possible that a developer could end up owing Unity more than they make on a game.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

Its the opposite. They wany to do this to milk f2p games even more.

As a random example of a big unity game, last month genshin got *4 million downloads* on *mobile alone*. Probably 5 million if you include pc and ps4/5.

Games with no entry fee build up downloads like crazy.

poo poo the Mihoyo games use Unity? Then yeah this is totally a case of trying to hold the big games hostage at the expense of indie and smaller developers. Kinda like what Adobe does with their products (though even Adobe just charges an exorbitant subscription fee instead of all this).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

poo poo the Mihoyo games use Unity? Then yeah this is totally a case of trying to hold the big games hostage at the expense of indie and smaller developers. Kinda like what Adobe does with their products (though even Adobe just charges an exorbitant subscription fee instead of all this).
a ton of random phone games use unity, even ones that dont really look it. off the top of my head, arknights and all the final fantasy gachas use it too. if this goes through a lot of the smaller ones of those will probably shut down.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
a very classic case of short terms profits ("look at all these HUGE games we could take a cut out off!") put before long term profits ("who gives a poo poo about small time indie making less than 200k$/year? it's not like any of those ever hit it big and became mainstay studios!!!!!1!").

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, apparently you need to have made 200k over the last 12 months for the fee to kick in, so this is probably angling for the big mobile sellers.

Still an unfathomably stupid and overcomplicated way to do this, and coupled with the.... questionable speed at which things have gotten prioritized/fixed/implemented within the engine over the last few years, I'm considering moving even my hobby projects over to other engines sooner rather than later.

Who knows what they will try after this.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, apparently you need to have made 200k over the last 12 months for the fee to kick in, so this is probably angling for the big mobile sellers.

Still an unfathomably stupid and overcomplicated way to do this, and coupled with the.... questionable speed at which things have gotten prioritized/fixed/implemented within the engine over the last few years, I'm considering moving even my hobby projects over to other engines sooner rather than later.

Who knows what they will try after this.

200k revenue is a vanishingly small amount. Even small teams need a lot more than that to break even.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
yeah it's doodoo. crosspost from the Making Games Megathread:

Gaspy Conana posted:

Our games are right at that threshold and it sucks. $200k may sound like a lot but it's nothing when you have a publisher and 3-5 people with revshare. It's going to weaken our ability to sustain ourselves significantly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Gaspy Conana posted:

yeah it's doodoo. crosspost from the Making Games Megathread:
I think some other unity subscription tier might be able to raise that from 200k to a million. Not saying this because the policy makes sense but because it might be cheaper for you.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

leper khan posted:

200k revenue is a vanishingly small amount. Even small teams need a lot more than that to break even.

Not disagreeing, though I think you also need at least 100k downloads, but yeah. Considering how many mobile games are made in Unity....
Absolutely boneheaded decision all around. Current CEO is starting to remind me of those vultures that get sent in to crash a company so its assets can be bought up for pennies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Not disagreeing, though I think you also need at least 100k downloads, but yeah. Considering how many mobile games are made in Unity....
Absolutely boneheaded decision all around. Current CEO is starting to remind me of those vultures that get sent in to crash a company so its assets can be bought up for pennies.

funny story about that

https://twitter.com/SauceJockey/status/1701629115529413062

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lagidnam posted:

The current CEO of Unity, John Ricitiello

oh no

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is the real story

He's a dogshit fixer CEO who comes in makes the company profitable, extracts his fee and then gets fired a year later because he doesn't know how to sustainably turn around a company, nor does he care to

Probably should have seen this coming

He hosed up the Battlefield franchise too

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

This is 2,000 shares out of the approximately 320,000 shares he got in his comp package last year. It's funny, but it's not actually nefarious, especially since the stock is up after this announcement since there's nothing wall street loves more than extracting fees for a short term gain at the expense of the long term outlook of the company

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Hadlock posted:

This is the real story

He's a dogshit fixer CEO who comes in makes the company profitable, extracts his fee and then gets fired a year later because he doesn't know how to sustainably turn around a company, nor does he care to

Probably should have seen this coming

He hosed up the Battlefield franchise too

He's also chairman of the board. And stuck into unity significantly prior to their IPO. I don't see him getting fired.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

quote:

This move is part of a larger trend for the insider, who over the past year has sold a total of 50,610 shares and purchased none.

The insider transaction history for Unity Software Inc shows a clear trend: over the past year, there have been 49 insider sells and no insider buys.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mycot posted:

The joke is that the totals are peanuts for the big games, because they're going to hit the threshold where the vast majority of users only cost them one cent each. It's the ones whose downloads are mostly at the 0.15 and 0.075 threshold that are getting squeezed the worst

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Lemming posted:

The joke is that the totals are peanuts for the big games, because they're going to hit the threshold where the vast majority of users only cost them one cent each. It's the ones whose downloads are mostly at the 0.15 and 0.075 threshold that are getting squeezed the worst

A $0.15 CPI increase is massive, and it hits exactly the games that can't afford it (unproven games from teams of all sizes). I don't see how you can pick unity for f2p mobile dev with this. The unit economics don't work.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hogama posted:

The insider transaction history for Unity Software Inc shows a clear trend: over the past year, there have been 49 insider sells and no insider buys.

yeah that's not great

doesn't matter if you're chairman of the board if you're gonna sell the company for parts

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Hadlock posted:

yeah that's not great

doesn't matter if you're chairman of the board if you're gonna sell the company for parts

Who can get rid of him? Would require some activist investor coming in and buying a huge amount of the company. And the Saudis don't seem to be lighting more money on fire for video games right now. MS has its hands full with ATVI. There's only so many players that could step in if they wanted to.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As long as they can keep selling off their stake in the company for more than they paid for it, he's doing his job

As long as they liquidate whatever it was they were planning on doing, then he's doing his job

His job is to be accountable the shareholders/board not to game developers or the long term health of the company. I don't think they've entered the "unhealthy/unsustainable business" part of the curve yet where he would get fired but this is a big red flag that they might be headed in that direction

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1701679721027633280

'charity bundles exempted from fees' how can you possibly tell what installs are from charity and which arent

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Excited for the first game to get caught in the middle of the culture war for which people make install/uninstall scripts to drain the devs of cash

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1701673961795313778

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

As long as they can keep selling off their stake in the company for more than they paid for it, he's doing his job

As long as they liquidate whatever it was they were planning on doing, then he's doing his job

His job is to be accountable the shareholders/board not to game developers or the long term health of the company. I don't think they've entered the "unhealthy/unsustainable business" part of the curve yet where he would get fired but this is a big red flag that they might be headed in that direction

Unity's last killer feature is that targeting the mobile platform is pretty drat easy, and this is otherwise an obnoxious problem to solve. Godot doesn't do this (yet). My take here is that Unity is basically dead the second Godot has an easy way to deploy to mobile devices.

Unity has a lot of momentum from the past but it's relevance is slowly fading. Among my the dev circles I talk to, I don't know any non-mobile games that are seriously looking at Unity today as a starting point among any of my contact in the industry. The majority are getting on the Unreal train and some now have enough confidence in Godot to dive in.

Unity's market cap is $15B today. I bet it's half that in 3 years.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you think about genshin impact we will charge mihoyo one dollar

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

'charity bundles exempted from fees' how can you possibly tell what installs are from charity and which arent

Can't wait to watch TV while mindlessly downloading and deleting games over and over from publishers I am mad at.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Endorph posted:

If it's a charity bundle, it's usually popping out a code for you to plug in elsewhere, no?

The logic is basically that you're "printing" new copies of the game, they're allowed to change the terms for future new copies absent a current term agreement cf. poo poo like music in GTA, and therefore there is now an n cent a copy base fee that they'll waive if you can show you donated them to Humble but that they demand if you had Google or Apple or Microsoft or Steam print them even for free/a flat fee. Extremely dumb from a business/PR standpoint, obviously a "gently caress you we get paid even if you bomba unless you let US take that cut off the top", but not hugely outlandish in the how.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

if you think about genshin impact we will charge mihoyo one dollar

Seems very obviously aimed at Mihoyo over Genshin and Honkai, yeah.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mandoric posted:

The logic is basically that you're "printing" new copies of the game, they're allowed to change the terms for future new copies absent a current term agreement cf. poo poo like music in GTA, and therefore there is now an n cent a copy base fee that they'll waive if you can show you donated them to Humble but that they demand if you had Google or Apple or Microsoft or Steam print them even for free/a flat fee. Extremely dumb from a business/PR standpoint, obviously a "gently caress you we get paid even if you bomba unless you let US take that cut off the top", but not hugely outlandish in the how.
thatd make sense if they were charging per *license*, but theyre charging per *install*.

if you tell them, iunno, you gave 1000 copies out as part of a charity bundle and they waive the equivalent of 1000 installs, but one of those people decides to install it 50 times, how can they tell the difference here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm still wondering how they'll actually track stuff like "Deleting and installing the game multiple times". Aren't most Unity games run from a standard .exe without installers? Are they just expecting Steam or GOG to notify them every time someone reinstalles a Unity game?