Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Why does windows default to the chuddiest of sources for their news window?

I spent an hour unsubscribing from the dreck and they just kept coming up with new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Because that's what makes money, right wingers are more likely to click on your poo poo and more likely to buy whatever you're selling

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The sports radio station here is flooded right now with ads from some company invoking the "central bank digital currency" and telling people to invest their money into a "gold IRA" and it's tuned to light up Facebook Grandpa's lizard brain

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
when can I get my god drat updated moderna shot

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I spent an hour unsubscribing from the dreck and they just kept coming up with new ones.

they're much better at flooding the narrative than Big Left is

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

U-DO Burger posted:

Anita Ward lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RealityWarCriminal posted:

they're much better at flooding the narrative than Big Left is

Here in Australia we're about to have a national referendum on adding recognition of Indigenous peoples into the constitution and the right has gone hard on flooding the narrative and it feels like Big Left were never interested in even attempting to fight back

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Failson posted:

I can report a 100% increase in COVID cases. After three years, I let y mask discipline slip. Started feeling lousy Sunday, tested positive today.

ONLY MASK TRUST
lol gently caress, get that pax

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

NeonPunk posted:

Aw cmon wtf they're delaying the new novavax
😡 tools

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh god damnit- so the "new" vax is not really the new one?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

well this injection is new to you and drawn from a new bottle

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Vecchivax sounds like some sorta weird ursula leguin or Zelazny character

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
There are 9210+ N95s on the counter in the shared kitchenette area. Today I've learned I'm not the only mask fairy at my workplace :3:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bedpan posted:

well this injection is new to you and drawn from a new bottle

Seriously though- so this is just a re-release of the old bivalent? I'm old and don't want to gently caress up my chances of getting the monovalent xbb for months.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Seriously though- so this is just a re-release of the old bivalent? I'm old and don't want to gently caress up my chances of getting the monovalent xbb for months.

xbb is kind of old news

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

inferis posted:

xbb is kind of old news

ok so WHICH ONE is the advised one to get. Is it the one next week? the one that's being delayed for another month or so?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
novavax slides: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2023-09-12/09-COVID-Dubovsky-508.pdf

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

ok so WHICH ONE is the advised one to get. Is it the one next week? the one that's being delayed for another month or so?

The monovalent vaccine. Currently there's only the bivalent. New vaccine is monovalent. It's not out yet, the CDC is still debating whether recommending it for everyone will keep antivaxxers from finally getting vaccinated.

Once it is out, the bivalent will (likely) no longer be available.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ok, so cancel my appointment

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

quote:

Paxlovid can be taken as a dietary supplement or used as an ingredient in cooking. It has a rich, nutty flavor that works well in curries and other savory dishes. Additionally, it can be added to smoothies and other beverages for a health boost. You can even mix Paxlovid with warm milk for a tasty nightcap. However you choose to use it, you can be sure that Paxlovid will add delicious flavor and plenty of nutritional benefits to your meals.

When Chatgpt meets online drop shipping plus a pandemic.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A friend's kid is attending a space camp equivalent course here in Australia, here's a social media post of the students planting up some "space gardens". I was pretty impressed that they're all wearing gloves and pretty decent masks even though they're outside on a balcony:

..... but then it occurred to me that they were wearing those gloves and masks because Australia has a health warning about potting mix due to potential Legionaire's Disease infection and the official recommendation is to wear gloves and masks when handling it.

The hospitals haven't exactly been swamped with cases:

quote:

There were 34 cases of Legionella longbeachae infection notified in Victoria since January 2021.

Have a guess whether anyone was wearing masks during the other space camp activities. LOL of course not

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Friend of mine just landed in Seattle from a international trip and he mentioned that the CDC was stationed near the exit of the customs area doing variant tracing. Answer some questions (where are you coming from, what flight number, etc), self swab for them and they also give you a home test kit.

Good to know some tracing is still happening....

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CoasterMaster posted:

Friend of mine just landed in Seattle from a international trip and he mentioned that the CDC was stationed near the exit of the customs area doing variant tracing. Answer some questions (where are you coming from, what flight number, etc), self swab for them and they also give you a home test kit.

Good to know some tracing is still happening....

it’s so they can blame other countries for variants coming to the us

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

same old song as how for fully half of 2020 there was no testing allowed unless you personally were hugging and kissing a wet market merchant from wuhan who coughed directly into your open mouth and said "by the way I have the novel coronavirus"

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

BCR posted:

lmao

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Because the only people that use edge/bing are the chuddiest of old people who don't know what the word internet browser means.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

BCR posted:

incredible lol

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
CDC voted 13-1 to allow boosters for folks 6 months and older.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Zugzwang posted:

CDC voted 13-1 to allow boosters for folks 6 months and older.

fuckin finally some good news

just finished a convo with an acquaintance who was telling me about his wife's family's unraveling through the course of the pandemic.

Her parents were staunch antivaxxers who care for her brother who has been a quadriplegic for decades thanks to some childhood infection they ALSO tried to pray away. in 2021, the parents went to a faith healing revival, caught covid, brought it home and infected her brother who died within two weeks. and then 6 months later a cancer that had been in remission for however long reared up and killed her mom. Through it all this poor woman was trying to help them out but she herself caught covid (probably FROM them) and has had fatigue issues since, so she's been struggling herself to hold a job.

her dad remarried within 6 weeks and at that point she just gave the gently caress up and doesn't speak to him any more. she's still absolutely wrecked over the whole experience. My acquaintance is a former marine who is in routine talk therapy for PTSD and he's trying to gently cajole her into going the same route. in his words "it's not quite the same as getting blown up but the damage is just as bad"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

The poverty rate in the U.S. has risen dramatically in the year since pandemic benefits ran out — and the child poverty rate has more than doubled, according to U.S. Census Bureau's annual data on poverty, income and health insurance released Tuesday.

Just a year ago, child poverty hit a historic low of 5.2%. The latest figures put it at 12.4%, the same as the overall poverty rate. The surge happened as record inflation was rising and a lot of pandemic relief was running out, but Census officials and other experts say a key was the child tax credit.

In 2021, Congress increased the amount of the credit as part of the American Rescue Plan and expanded eligibility to include millions more low-income families. Sharon Parrott, president of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, says it was a big factor in initially reducing the poverty rate.

"We sometimes talk about the child tax credit as being an upside down policy," she says. "That's because the children who need it the most get the least, while higher income children get more."

Parrott says that means when the pandemic relief ended, millions of families lost out on this credit for their kids because they didn't make enough money. But married couples making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year do get the full child tax credit of $2,000 per child. While that might sound upside down, as Parrott puts it, the credit is an income-based benefit — so the more you make, the more you get.
https://www.npr.org/2023/09/12/1198923453/child-poverty-child-tax-credi-pandemic-aid-census-data

we care about our kids dont we folks

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

If I get this latest booster, how many months before I can get the new monovalent once it is released? 3 months?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i feel like everyone i know is sick right now, at least half with covid

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If I get this latest booster, how many months before I can get the new monovalent once it is released? 3 months?

is your appointment something that can't be easily cancelled or rescheduled? or are you trying to time and target a date for which you wanna be Maxxed Up?

the bivalent booster is pretty much entirely deprecated at this point, you're within like... a 72 hour window here where it's about to become not available and completely replaced by the new one.

they'd probably make you wait 2 months (the bivalent one was required to be spaced as such)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/doneford/status/1701450109484175382?s=46

was there any novavax news today or is that for the 22nd

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Sep 12, 2023

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

officially it's 6

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah... At this point it's been a year since my last booster (shot #6 iirc). I've been extra cautious and so I'm on the "get a loving booster whenever available" train since they first became available. Is the theory that the monovalent is most likely going to be available in October? I understand that is a "no one knows for certain" but I'm going to fly to the east coast in later October and I'm wondering if a booster would be worth the extra prophylaxis because I doubt the actual new vaccine will be ready before then.

edit:

RealityWarCriminal posted:

officially it's 6

oh for gently caress's sake

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The monovalent was supposed to be available towards the end of the current month, September, but we shall see when it hits store shelves!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

BCR posted:

ahhh, that special metallic flavoring

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
The pharmacists at Target are wearing Auras. Haven't seen any of them in even a surgical in months.

Anyone know how the Yankee Candle index is doing?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

fuckin finally some good news

just finished a convo with an acquaintance who was telling me about his wife's family's unraveling through the course of the pandemic.

Her parents were staunch antivaxxers who care for her brother who has been a quadriplegic for decades thanks to some childhood infection they ALSO tried to pray away. in 2021, the parents went to a faith healing revival, caught covid, brought it home and infected her brother who died within two weeks. and then 6 months later a cancer that had been in remission for however long reared up and killed her mom. Through it all this poor woman was trying to help them out but she herself caught covid (probably FROM them) and has had fatigue issues since, so she's been struggling herself to hold a job.

her dad remarried within 6 weeks and at that point she just gave the gently caress up and doesn't speak to him any more. she's still absolutely wrecked over the whole experience. My acquaintance is a former marine who is in routine talk therapy for PTSD and he's trying to gently cajole her into going the same route. in his words "it's not quite the same as getting blown up but the damage is just as bad"
Yikes :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Zugzwang posted:

The pharmacists at Target are wearing Auras. Haven't seen any of them in even a surgical in months.

my local Kaiser pharmacy is 100% surgicals as of last week