Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

the banana bread is my treat, the guards didn't find the bananas since they don't set off metal detectors

...oh, you'd like some milk? that'll be 2 packs of cigarettes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Desert Bus posted:

I do not know how or why (personally I believe it is the freezing), but everyone loves this recipe and it's easily modifiable without screwing it up. I keep it saved because anytime someone tries it they ask how to make it.

It's probably from the back of a box from the 1940's or something.

Also handy that you can just chuck old bananas in the freezer if you don't eat them fast enough and use them later. Waste not want not.

I'm a little bothered by the amount of sugar relative to the flour and bananas, but I still bet it tastes really good.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I briefly worked for an investment bank. My boss broke her ankle and still went back to wearing high heels at the first opportunity because she didn't want people to look down on her.

This is 100% a problem caused by regarding shorter people as less deserving of respect. I'm guessing this lady is 5 foot nothing without heels, and the shoes raise her into the "person that matters range". I'm lucky enough to be tall enough to be an actual person without heels and I am extremely happy about that.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Isn't that length of time going to exhaust the buttermilk-baking soda rising interaction? I was always taught to put muffins and quickbreads in fast, while the reaction was still at its strongest.
A thick batter will contain enough of the acid/basic reaction to keep the rise nice and powerful, even if it is delayed for a few hours.

Agrikk posted:

My daughter loves to bake. She bakes when she’s stressed, she bakes to relax, she bakes when she is bored and has time to kill.
I can say, “I went to the store and bought some ingredients, want to bake me your bad-rear end three-tier chocolate cake?”
Hours later I have chocolate cake from scratch. Yes, I love my life. And my daughter rocks.
That is my baking story.
You have an excellent daughter, who knows just how to de-stress in a productive and satisfying way.
Hi smart daughter!
I'm sure you've explored the possibilities already, but just in case, try baking yeast bread. It's magic and satisfying in a way that cake baking just cant beat. It's kind of like gardening and baking at the same time.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Pookah posted:

I'm a little bothered by the amount of sugar relative to the flour and bananas, but I still bet it tastes really good.

It's mostly a delightful super-unhealthy base. I bet you could halve the sugar and then do a sugar glaze or something if you wanted to. It is very dense and sweet.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I’ll put the banana in y’all’s bread :grin:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

PM me

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Prison Banana Bread

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Desert Bus posted:

It's mostly a delightful super-unhealthy base. I bet you could halve the sugar and then do a sugar glaze or something if you wanted to. It is very dense and sweet.

I live with people who constantly try to make cakes into basically veggie curries, so high-sugar recipes are very visible to me. I still love them and will eat the absolute poo poo out of a really strong, entirely unwholesome, very sturdy cake/pie recipe.
Feed me your lemon cheesecake meringue recipes, I will make and eat all of them.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Nice Arrested Development reference! There's always money (bread) in the banana stand!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Pookah posted:

I live with people who constantly try to make cakes into basically veggie curries, so high-sugar recipes are very visible to me. I still love them and will eat the absolute poo poo out of a really strong, entirely unwholesome, very sturdy cake/pie recipe.
Feed me your lemon cheesecake meringue recipes, I will make and eat all of them.

In the US if you buy a dense cake from like Wal-Mart or something it's always 90% high fructose corn syrup/corn syrup. If you want a dense sweet cake that doesn't taste like chocolate cornbread you pay too much or make it on your own.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

I also like substituting some of my AP flour with a mix of melted chocolate, cocoa powder, and cake flour. After you pour the batter into the baking dish/bread pan, plop in the chocolate mixture and then swirl it with a knife or something. The banana bread will come out with these nice swirls of soft chocolate-y sections.

I do not like chocolate chips in banana bread, but I do like chocolate in banana bread.

I say if you wanna put nuts in, toast them first 🤷

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Bubblyblubber posted:

As a sliver player, telling the sliver player to gently caress off with their bullshit is absolutely the correct course of action.

This and also they were cooler as snake xenomorphs instead of whatever poo poo they have going on now

pumpkin bread is superior

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Wear sandals on the plane. Then you're practically shoeless to begin with. Or bring slippers with you and change into them.

They're not the best footwear in the event of an emergency, but how often does that happen?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Desert Bus posted:

In the US if you buy a dense cake from like Wal-Mart or something it's always 90% high fructose corn syrup/corn syrup. If you want a dense sweet cake that doesn't taste like chocolate cornbread you pay too much or make it on your own.

I picked up some banana chips without thinking to check ingredients and it turns out they're sugar-glazed. I just wanted a way to get some banana every once in a while that didn't go bad overnight.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bruceski posted:

I picked up some banana chips without thinking to check ingredients and it turns out they're sugar-glazed. I just wanted a way to get some banana every once in a while that didn't go bad overnight.

Wrap the ends of the bunch in plastic wrap after you tear off the first one, they'll ripen slower. Once they're ripe just throw them in the fridge.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

processed corn turns me into a zit monster but i have been correctly and wisely advised not to overshare weird health things in this thread and this convo has already gone on too long

y'all enjoy the banana bread recipe, and if you make/modify it please message me with your impressions and results, thanks! promise it's tasty

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bruceski posted:

If you don’t mind swapping sugar for salt plantain chips might hit that itch.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If you don’t mind swapping sugar for salt plantain chips might hit that itch.

I never thought about freezing plantains to break them down but it works with bananas.... hmmm

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pookah posted:

This is 100% a problem caused by regarding shorter people as less deserving of respect. I'm guessing this lady is 5 foot nothing without heels, and the shoes raise her into the "person that matters range". I'm lucky enough to be tall enough to be an actual person without heels and I am extremely happy about that.
Sadly, no. This is a problem caused by working for an investment bank, where everybody is supposed to dress as if they're waiting eagerly for 1960 to begin. Women wear skirted suits, a shell blouse, pantyhose, and heels, beep boop. This may have changed since the late '90s, but I wouldn't bet my own money on that.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Desert Bus posted:

2 cups sugar

3 1/2 cups flour

1 heaping teaspoon baking soda

Mix together, then add

1 cup oil

4 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup buttermilk (add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to regular milk)

3 very ripe bananas - frozen, thawed, and mashed (or mashed frozen thawed, whatever. breaks up the cell walls).

1/2 cup chopped walnuts.

Bake at 325 degrees for about an hour, or until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.

I shall be trying this recipe on the weekend and will report back with results.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Pookah posted:

:whitewater:

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

FMguru posted:

Interesting (if somewhat expensive) way to split the difference on having a child-free wedding:

AITA for having a "fake" wedding for everyone to bring children to.

I sometimes wonder. I come from Portugal and something like a child-free wedding sounds like something inconceivable.

Also, I cannot relate to these stories of complete brats completely ruining weddings. I have been to multiple weddings as a young childless person wanting to have fun, in multiple countries... also more recently in a wedding with plenty of kids and a play area... and kids were alright? It did not matter? They danced and played? Where do these horror stories of ruined weddings come from?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm in Canada and I've never seen nightmare children at a wedding aside from the one that had a chocolate fondue fountain. And it wasn't even that the kids were being bad, they just didn't have the coordination to keep it from becoming a huge mess, which us completely normal for kids.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

I have been to multiple weddings as a young childless person wanting to have fun, in multiple countries... also more recently in a wedding with plenty of kids and a play area... and kids were alright? It did not matter? They danced and played? Where do these horror stories of ruined weddings come from?
(A) r/relationships not always a reliable source
(B) Some parents who rarely say "no" to their children. It is a lot easier to give in to an angry/misbehaving child than to say "No" and stick to it.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Mx. posted:

AITA for yelling at three old church ladies?

Ohhh, NTA. Bitch-slapping them would have been justified.

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for refusing to babysit my neighbor’s parrot even though I work from home?

oh come on, it's not like you do anything all day

Never mind the chatter. A bored parrot is going to get destructive, and one that's being denied socialization is going to get vindictive. The neighbour would definitely balk at paying for whatever the parrot wrecked, if OP did agree to this.

I sometimes wonder. I come from Portugal and something like a child-free wedding sounds like something inconceivable.

Also, I cannot relate to these stories of complete brats completely ruining weddings. I have been to multiple weddings as a young childless person wanting to have fun, in multiple countries... also more recently in a wedding with plenty of kids and a play area... and kids were alright? It did not matter? They danced and played? Where do these horror stories of ruined weddings come from?

Kids who aren't disciplined and taught "no" and that they can't have everything they want and they aren't always the center of attention. And parents who think it's everyone's job to entertain their kids and find Little Susie as adorable as they do.

Kids having fun is cute, but without some adult supervision and the ability to go "no, you can't eat that, no you can't touch that, no that's not yours leave it alone", they can go feral fast.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I'm in Canada and I've never seen....

Cultural diffs, we get it

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think the worst thing I've ever seen a child do at a wedding was me, when I was like five, and I ate too many chicken nuggets and threw up on the carpet of the venue, which from memory I think was probably pretty expensive. I think a more appropriate reaction would just be to not allow me specifically at a wedding, rather than all kids.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Kitfox88 posted:

pumpkin bread is superior

True, but strawberry bread is best.

AITAH för refusing to have my 9yo nephew bake my b-day cake?

quote:

I’m turning 30 in a couple of weeks and I’m planning to have a bigger party and I’m ordering food etc from my favorite restaurants. The problem is that my common law husband’s sister. Her son has just started to get interested in baking and he has been baking cake for birthdays (his siblings’ , his parents’ , grandparents’, his cousins’ and my husband’s) for a year now. They really taste poo poo and I have very sensitive stomach. The type that would start heaving and retching for the littlest thought of food being handled poorly. Like I rarely order cold food in restaurants because I always think to myself that at least the hot food has been in high temperature but cold food its up to the cook and their conscious (bad experience) . I also feel sick seeing people using tooth picks, burp, excessively clear their throats etc and I start cold sweating. I’m sorry if this is just rambling but I think it is necessary to paint a picture of my weird yucks and vexations.

I have witnessed this nephew bake and as any 9yo there’s no concerns about hygiene. Also it tastes very bad. I get cold sweats now thinking about it. So when my sister in law(I know I’m not married to her brother but for the sake of making things simple) asked me what cake he should make for the party and how many, I said that I’m going to order from my favorite bakery. She got very angry and told me that this would hurt his feelings since he is the one baking now. I told her isn’t it healthy for him to understand that people have boundaries and not to take it personally? She called me AH and said then we aren’t coming. I told her that it was a shame but I’m not gonna change my mind.

My husband said maybe I should let the boy bake and I order a cake too but now I don’t even want to compromise because this is so wrong. I know it is not my place to lecture people on how to raise their kids but I should at least not have my boundaries crossed plus the cake really doesn’t taste good. They won’t be the only guests. Why should it be about them?

AITAH?

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for asking for a dress code exception and ruining my relationship with my SIL?

quote:

I (F28) am a Muslim woman. I was not raised Muslim, but I converted during a difficult time in my life and I honestly believe it saved me.

My husband (M30) was there for me during this time, and has always understood my reasons and is very supportive despite being an atheist himself.

My husband's sister (F24) is getting married and asked me to be a bridesmaid, which I am thrilled to do. We have chosen a modest dress which I can wear with a hijab, and there are no qualms on that front.

The issue comes with her bachelorette party. She wants a Vegas themed party and all the girls must wear bikinis in coordinating colours. Now, I wouldn't mind this if I was just in the company of women, but I cannot show my body off in front of men, and two of the bridesmaids are my SIL's gay best friends (M24 and M25).

These two guys are lovely and I have absolutely no issue with them, but I cannot wear a bikini in front of them. I tried to compromise with my SIL and wear something modest but still in the colour scheme, but she says I am being homophobic and ruining the vibe of the party. She said if I can't wear a bikini, then I shouldn't bother being a bridesmaid at all.

My husband said I need to do whatever makes me feel comfortable, but my MIL (F62) is saying that I am driving a wedge in the family over nothing, and it isn't like I have never worn a bikini before and I can set aside my "ideas" for one night. She said that they don't count as men under the Muslim definition because they are gay and won't look at me "like that", and I am purposefully being difficult.

My SIL has followed through with uninviting me over this, and said she'll never be able to see me the same way again because of my selfish behaviour. So, I come to the internet to ask if I am being an AH?

Who the hell requires a bikini, regardless of religious stuff? :psyduck: This feels weirdly targeted

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

America is an incredibly big and diverse place and there's no "typical american" but I've noticed that the USA has an over-representation of extremely hosed up kids being raised by horrible parents in terrible environments. There's just something about suburbia and a totally car-dependent existence that deeply fucks people, specially kids, up. That's my pet theory anyways.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Hughlander posted:

Wife made banana bread last night, but we were out of milk. This was torture.

For the banana bread recipe or to drink with the bread?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for asking for a dress code exception and ruining my relationship with my SIL?

Who the hell requires a bikini, regardless of religious stuff? :psyduck: This feels weirdly targeted

Someone who wants a gotcha against a Muslim.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah that is 100% targeted bigoted bullshit right there

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

that's one of the more absurd "yeah this is a mandatory event for a thing but we can't provide accommodations for you at it" I've seen, it's completely targeted

the bride says moops

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Hughlander posted:

Wife made banana bread last night, but we were out of milk. This was torture.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Pomme de Terror posted:

Agreed that OP is probably being targeted, but to be honest rules that require modesty for a woman when around gay men but not gay women are pretty silly. But yeah if someone wants to follow a religious rule you should try to accommodate no matter how silly it is practically.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for not giving my Husband’s sister MY puppy

quote:

I (25 f) and my husband (27 m) went to his sister’s 13th birthday party this weekend. She decided she wanted to have her birthday party at a local river (we live in the Midwest). My husband and I just got a puppy a few days ago and thought it would be fun to bring her to see if she liked the water, let everyone see her for the first time etc…

When we got there everyone was super excited to see that we brought a puppy. Everyone was petting her and playing with her. My MIL asked me if the puppy was for my SIL, I said no that this was my husband and i’s puppy. (She knew that we had just gotten a new puppy.) She held the puppy for a bit and gave her back and all seemed fine.

My SIL started opening her gifts when she finally noticed the puppy in my arms and asked me if MIL had finally let her get a puppy for her 13th birthday. Before I could even say anything MIL said “yes.” SIL bursted into tears about “finally” having a puppy and then came over to me and tried to take the puppy. I was in shock at what just happened and kinda just let her take the puppy out of my hands. Eventually I went over to my MIL and asked her wtf she was thinking.

She told me that my SIL had been asking for a puppy for years, and she said “You don’t mind do you?” I was taken aback, I couldn’t believe my MIL just gave away my puppy without even asking me. I took my SIL over to the side and told her that the puppy was mine and I wanted her back. She started throwing a fit and literally screaming. I just took the puppy back and my husband and I left.

When we got back home I was bombarded With texts and phone calls from everyone at the party asking me why I took the puppy away from SIL. My SIL and MIL are very angry with me, and I just need to know AITA?

Edit: Her birthday party was at the river, many people had brought their dogs to the party. I also did not know she had been asking MIL for a puppy, (they have two dogs.) Edit 2: My husband is 100% on my side. We both didn’t want to make a scene about it. He has called his mom and texted his family since the incident, we aren’t communicating to anyone about it right now because it has been overwhelming. He had told his mom about us getting a new puppy multiple times, even invited the family over to our house for dinner so they could also meet the puppy but they had a football game to go to. (This was 2 days before her party.)

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I'm in Canada and I've never seen nightmare children at a wedding aside from the one that had a chocolate fondue fountain. And it wasn't even that the kids were being bad, they just didn't have the coordination to keep it from becoming a huge mess, which us completely normal for kids.

My favorite wedding memory was a child that had used a taco shell to funnel chocolate into his mouth at a fondue fountain. He didn't make a mess. He wasn't in the way. Just stood there guzzling chocolate.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Pookah posted:

You have an excellent daughter, who knows just how to de-stress in a productive and satisfying way.
Hi smart daughter!
I'm sure you've explored the possibilities already, but just in case, try baking yeast bread. It's magic and satisfying in a way that cake baking just cant beat. It's kind of like gardening and baking at the same time.

From daughter, “that’s actually spot on. Very much like gardening dough. I’ve made brioche, cinnamon rolls, croissants, yeasted bread and sourdough.”

(Daughter is sixteen and her eyes lit up when I read this post to her.)

:unsmith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLNvqRyafnk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mx. posted:

AITA for not giving my Husband’s sister MY puppy

maybe it's me but if someone tried to take my pet from my arms like that, I would have told the idiot off asap, and if they still tried, well, there's gonna be some great live footage of me shoving someone to the ground. MIL is the one to blame, but the animal would never leave my arms. Great way for a animal to get hurt or lost.

AITA for telling my mom she don’t understand bc she’s never been pregnant

quote:

I28m was adopted by my mother. She was incapable of conceiving a child after having a hysterectomy due to a horrible accident. She’s grieved her uterus and biological children so it’s not a subject we bring up.

My fiancé is 27 weeks pregnant and has diagnosed hyperemesis gravidarum. We just got a diagnosis finally after no one was listening too, and we are trying to get her body back on track, but somethings are too much.

We had my mother and father over yesterday night for dinner. My mother wanted to teach my fiancé how to cook an “authentic Italian meal.” After many apologies, my fiancé said she couldn’t take the smell, and went upstairs. My mother is short tempered, she’s old fashion Italian, and is very strict, and judgmental. She began to go on and on about how you never treat a guest that way, especially an in law, and how she had driven 40 minutes to come do this.

I tried to explain the situation, and she insisted my fiancé was just being over dramatic, so I said “you wouldn’t understand ma because you’ve never been pregnant.” My mom bursted into tears, and they left. My dad called me and said he agreed with me, but I needed to apologize bc my mom had locked herself in the bedroom for the night crying. I of course feel bad for my mom but she doesn’t understand. Aita?