Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Tai posted:

Now we know why russian soldiers are short on rations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Drone_Fragger posted:

Jokes aside would not be shocked if he has an eating disorder thats been bought on or encouraged by stress caused by the risk the FSB abducts him to like, moscow, or something, so he suffers an "accident", caused by his failure to win the war with Ukraine in 3 days.

Serious question: Have Kadyrov's TikTok stormtroopers done anything of actual note thus far? Last I heard they were trying to take up Wagner's job and failing miserably.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

No worries, the replacement token fat dictator just arrived:
https://twitter.com/Kremlinpool_RIA/status/1701577404815208926#m

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Serious question: Have Kadyrov's TikTok stormtroopers done anything of actual note thus far? Last I heard they were trying to take up Wagner's job and failing miserably.

I don’t believe so, and they even dragged rear end (or it certainly appeared that way) to avoid getting their poo poo kicked in by Wagner during the coup.

I would think a force that absorbs resources and arms but is good for nothing other than terrorizing its own citizenry to keep them in line would be a luxury you could afford in peacetime but that Putin might start to take a harder look at when you are casting about for new meat for the grinder.

If they had at least demonstrated value to be a palace guard and keep Putin’s own rear end safe that would be worth something, but they failed miserably there too.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

https://english.alarabiya.net/News/world/2023/09/12/Sweden-to-consider-sending-Gripen-fighter-jets-to-Ukraine-Report

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/3EOWAA/gripenplan-till-ukraina-ska-utredas

:getin:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

CommissarMega posted:

Losing spectacularly in the battles for Severodonetsk and Lysychansk, and to a lesser extent near Bakhmut, but nothing else besides that

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wandering around in your PJs while off your face in your own capital city? Pfft, amateur. Yeltsin did it in Washington DC.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Yeltsin was such a caricature of every Russian stereotype, it owned. I would've loved to party down with boris (but only once, I couldn't take that multiple times)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Payndz posted:

Wandering around in your PJs while off your face in your own capital city? Pfft, amateur. Yeltsin did it in Washington DC.

Oh my god, its true. And then when he was gently coaxed backed to the white house guest house he tried to do the same thing the next day, which resulted in the secret service nearly smoking him because they thought he was a drunken homeless man whod broken into the guest house basement :psyduck:

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Drone_Fragger posted:

Jokes aside would not be shocked if he has an eating disorder thats been bought on or encouraged by stress caused by the risk the FSB abducts him to like, moscow, or something, so he suffers an "accident", caused by his failure to win the war with Ukraine in 3 days.

Honestly Putin probably is well aware the tik tok warriors are a joke but Ramzan useful idiot in that he is a brutal shithead who is fine with torturing and killing political rivals and oppressing dissent for Putin. It's all about appearances though, posting tik toks of guys shooting into the bushes is fine, Ramzan drunk in his pajamas is not.

CommissarMega posted:

I mean they have given military instructors lots of great videos on what not to do. Every video I saw of them actually making contact with the enemy was just pathetic.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Payndz posted:

He just had the munchies for some pizza:

quote:

“Secret Service agents discovered Yeltsin alone on Pennsylvania Avenue, dead drunk, clad in his underwear, yelling for a taxi,” Branch wrote in his book. “Yeltsin slurred his words in a loud argument with the baffled agents. He did not want to go back into Blair House, where he was staying. He wanted a taxi to go out for pizza.”

When Branch asked Clinton how the situation ended, the president shrugged and said, “Well, he got his pizza.” But the next night, Clinton recalled, Yeltsin tried to do it again.

“Eluding security, he made his way down the back stairs into the Blair House basement, where a building guard mistook him for a drunken intruder,” Branch wrote. “Yeltsin was briefly endangered until converging Russian and American agents sorted out everyone’s affiliation.” Because the guards mistook him for an intruder, “Clinton thought this incident, although contained within Blair House, exposed even greater risk than the pizza quest.”

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

B-Rock452 posted:

Honestly Putin probably is well aware the tik tok warriors are a joke but Ramzan useful idiot in that he is a brutal shithead who is fine with torturing and killing political rivals and oppressing dissent for Putin. It's all about appearances though, posting tik toks of guys shooting into the bushes is fine, Ramzan drunk in his pajamas is not.

I mean they have given military instructors lots of great videos on what not to do. Every video I saw of them actually making contact with the enemy was just pathetic.

It's pathetic when they aren't making contact with the enemy too. I think I remember the shooting-the-bushes video you're talking about, they're just walking down a path and then without saying anything one guy (and then the rest) start lighting up the shrubs to their right while still walking forwards at a leisurely clip?
I mean sure there are more/better lessons from actual contact but I had uh several notes about the walking around one too.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

quote:

According to preliminary data,
The Su-24M plane crashed in Volgograd; the bomber fell in the Kalachevsky district, 5 kilometers from the Lozhki farm. There were two crew members on board. The causes of the crash are being investigated.
Rescue services arrived at the scene.
t.me/bazabazon/21375
22.6K edited Sep 12 at 20.09
L bozo

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1701557530797687098

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Russia must act, withdrawing their forces to the 2013 lines and holding immediate armistice talks. Anything less is unserious.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I don't think Kadyrov could have put on that much weight since we last saw him looking normally. Even if you ate nothing but pizza and beer while not exercising I don't think you could pull that much off. He looks bloated from a medical condition (alcoholism is a medical condition i suppose)

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1701327903651139958#m
https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/11/world/ukraine-russia-decoy-weapons-intl/index.html

quote:

They are created with one single aim in mind: to be destroyed as quickly as possible. And in that, the steelworks company behind them boasts, these decoy weapons are remarkably successful: hundreds have been targeted by Russian forces almost as soon as they were deployed.

Ukrainian D-20 gun-howitzers, American-made M777 howitzers, mortar tubes, air defense radars… the list goes on. If it is deployed and operational in Ukraine, chances are that Metinvest has either copied it, or is in the process of doing so, inside the small hangar that sits, tucked away, on the edge of a vast industrial site in central Ukraine. There you will find an impressive array of replicas of the latest American and European killing technology.
Before the war, the company was Ukraine’s largest metallurgy group but had no involvement in arms manufacture, according to a representative of the company who asked to remain anonymous. In fact, it still doesn’t, as its only foray into the world of weaponry is this side line in decoys, remarkably true to life but equipped with neither the firing range, nor the hefty price tag.

The aim, says the spokesman, is twofold: to save Ukrainian lives and to trick Russians into squandering their own, very expensive, kamikaze drones, shells and missiles.

The idea is that, from the sky, the decoys should look worthy of attack, without spending too much. And that has meant striking a balance in the choice of materials, complementing cheap plywood – which doesn’t give off the right heat signature to trick Russian heat-seeking radars and drones – with enough metal that they should be fooled.

“We do not count the number of decoys produced, but the number of those destroyed, and this is the main thing for us,” says the spokesman. “The sooner our decoys are destroyed, the better for us”.

So far, he says, many hundreds have been destroyed and the company is struggling to keep up with the army’s demand. He shows us photographs of the decoys out in the field, in various stages of their short life, until finally coming upon a picture of which he is particularly proud.

It shows, hanging from a tree somewhere in Ukraine, a life-size effigy of Russian President Vladimir Putin. It is also the work of his men, he says with satisfaction, and like the weapons, he hopes, soon a thing of the past.
:troll:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

zone posted:

So far, he says, many hundreds have been destroyed and the company is struggling to keep up with the army’s demand.

Now we know where Putin got his numbers of destroyed equipment from.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

fatherboxx posted:

I have recently learned that in the past ten years Russian airlines deliberately headhunted most military pilots straight from pilot schools. Military pilot doing bombing runs in Syria would get 100 000 rubles monthly salary (1,5k usd on prewar rates, barely above median federal salary, now are certainly higher because even cannon fodder mobiks get 200k+, but too late) while civilian pilots are paid 500k monthly. Various SEA airlines also have been offering competetive rates.

Thats also the reason why Russian airforce has not managed to secure air superiority in Ukraine.

tbf, :catstare: ditching an A320 in a field with complete hydraulic failure :catstare: is some impressive piloting.

There are not enough :vince: in the world to describe the idea of a loving Airbus A320 ditching in a field because of mechanical failure. As much as Spirit and Frontier are poo poo-tier airlines, nobody is genuinely worried their SFO-ATX flight is going to have to ditch controlled crash-land outside of Flagstaff

The_Franz posted:

No worries, the replacement token fat dictator just arrived:
https://twitter.com/Kremlinpool_RIA/status/1701577404815208926#m

I've always wondered why they go with these ancient marching arrangements. They're dictators, they could have a Queen cover band play We Are The Champions while they walk out, or a full orchestra play the intro to Star Wars, because they're dictators, wtf is someone going to sue them for copyright infringement?

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 12, 2023

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Vampire Panties posted:

tbf, :catstare: ditching an A320 in a field with complete hydraulic failure :catstare: is some impressive piloting.

There are not enough :vince: in the world to describe the idea of a loving Airbus A320 ditching in a field because of mechanical failure. As much as Spirit and Frontier are poo poo-tier airlines, nobody is genuinely worried their SFO-ATX flight is going to have to ditch controlled crash-land outside of Flagstaff

My guess is that that airframe isn't going anywhere from that field, besides being stripped for donor parts and cut to pieces.

Too bad that the sanctions do not work, and that Tupolev was stripped down and grifted between the oligarch, as it seems that Russia sure could use a national company that can build airplane spare parts, even less than ideal jury rigged and reverse engineered ones, right about now.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dictators, including monarchs, have a lot harder time w legitimacy than democratically elected peeps. so they have more bling and theyre more conservative w the bling and theyre more constrained in how they have to behave wrt showing legitimacy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
mohammed bin salman is forced to dress exactly like ibn saud, his ancestor. exactly

or consider jadwiga of poland, who was a woman but had to be considered regnant and therefore took the title of king, not queen

or consider the kim dynasty of north korea, who didnt have the ancient capital (seoul) so they took the moderately less ancient capital pyeongyang and made up poo poo about being heaven sent from baekdusan just like the joseon and goryeo did (because dangun wanggum is supposed to have been born of a bear there) despite the ostensible marxism

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 12, 2023

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

The_Franz posted:

He just had the munchies for some pizza:

I forget who it was that got drunk with Nixon and disappeared around Camp David for a round of drunk driving.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
maybe fat kadyrov will eat a gun

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

bob dobbs is dead posted:

or consider the kim dynasty of north korea, who didnt have the ancient capital (seoul) so they took the moderately less ancient capital pyeongyang and made up poo poo about being heaven sent from baekdusan just like the joseon and goryeo did (because dangun wanggum is supposed to have been born of a bear there) despite the ostensible marxism

If you told me this was an except from a Dr Seuss book, I would have believed you

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

I bet making those decoys is a pretty fun and satisfying job. :)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Flyinglemur posted:

If you told me this was an except from a Dr Seuss book, I would have believed you

but if you are a korean king you gotta go hard at this kinda crap

russian dictator, you gotta go hard at classical music and dead russian authors and ballet and poo poo

whereas democratic leaders can just be vaguely normal

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 12, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

whereas democratic leaders can just be vaguely normal

someone remind me which british prime minister it was that hosed the pig as part of fraternity rituals

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

HonorableTB posted:

someone remind me which british prime minister it was that hosed the pig as part of fraternity rituals

David Cameron

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

maybe fat kadyrov will eat a gun

Shocking twist, Kadyrov gave himself obesity so the FSB agents can't hoist his bloated frame up stairs, let alone out of a 7th story window he was tragically inspecting.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

HonorableTB posted:

That's normal in Britain.

Meanwhile:

Anyway, bob dobbs is dead is correct, autocrats lean hard into pageantry and show, very much like a feudal ruler. It's what happens when your authority and legitimisation stems from your ability to project power, instead of a democratic mandate.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1701711364442513866#m
oops.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

ORF.at posted:

According to Russian media reports, two ponies belonging to ex-Foreign Minister Karin Kneissl have been brought to Russia on a Russian military transport plane. The online platform The Insider writes that two ponies landed at Pulkovo airport in St Petersburg on Saturday. They were transported by an Ilyushin Il-76, which, according to its registration number, belongs to the Russian Ministry of Defence.

The aircraft was identified from social media pictures of a local riding club, which reported the arrival of the ponies. The entry also emphasised that the transport had been carried out by a company associated with the riding club. The veterinary office of St. Petersburg also published pictures on its website of the examination of the ponies in the presence of Kneissl.

According to the entry of the riding club, the route started in Austria and they would have crossed six borders. When and where the horses came on board the military aircraft is not clear from the reports. However, the ponies are likely to have left Austria some time ago: From Lebanon, where Kneissl lived until recently, the former Foreign Minister posted several photos with the two animals.

This also fits in with the sharp criticism of the pony transport from a Russian military blogger: the user "Fighterbomber" wrote on Telegram in the run-up to the transport that they wanted to "load a pony instead of a hero squad. If the country really needs ponies today, then of course fly with ponies, but write me whose ponies they are. That's very interesting." "Fighterbomber" specifically addressed the military at the Hmeimim airbase, located in Syria, in the message.

Presented without comment.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

Anyway, bob dobbs is dead is correct, autocrats lean hard into pageantry and show, very much like a feudal ruler. It's what happens when your authority and legitimisation stems from your ability to project power, instead of a democratic mandate.

This is a very valuable Youtube to watch, it is 20 minutes well spent in order to better understand the mindset of people like Putin and Lukashenka, which imo is critical to understanding this war on a fundamental level. It is informative and it's pretty amusing too. Pro click

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
fresh from the spigot for putin the bigot

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I'm praying to Jesus that kadyrov makes it out okay

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
all of these random fires i have to wonder what the actual distribution of causes are

like ok, smoking accidents, yeah i am positive there's plenty of those. terrible maintenance being revealed by wartime shortages and stressors, absolutely. a lot are also undoubtedly due to ukranian drones, though a TV station would be outside their usual targets.

the part that i am curious about is cyberattacks. if you're using software, especially industrial software, poorly and don't have manual/hardware failsafes, some hacking can absolutely cause a gas valve to get stuck open and whoopsie poosums you're a spark away from a gas fire.

the thing is, because russia's been so huge about DoMiNaNcE oF cYb0r and the perpetrators aren't really going to be interested in claiming responsibility for cyberattacks (because that increases the chances of the vulnerabilities getting fixed), everyone involved in a cyberattack wouldn't say a drat thing about it. i can't help but wonder how many of these fires are someone hacking various gibsons around moscow.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sounds like a question that’s perfect for Russia’s meticulous and thorough set of public incident records to answer

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
They're just drones for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Drone_Fragger posted:

Shocking twist, Kadyrov gave himself obesity so the FSB agents can't hoist his bloated frame up stairs, let alone out of a 7th story window he was tragically inspecting.

Fat people are hard to kidnap defenestrate