Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Quote-Unquote posted:

I will talk about Dice Throne as much as you like because I bloody love it!

I got the Marvel one on Kickstarter and was immediately hooked, so I went and bought the other two seasons plus promo cards immediately. I usually play at least once a week with my frosthaven buddy, since there are two of us and often we don't want to do another FH mission but still want to have a couple of drinks and play games that aren't total lightweight/filler. DT is absolutely perfect to fill that spot.

Although he gets mad at me because I seem to roll straights really, really frequently.

I’ve never heard of this game, and I am pretty plugged in to board game stuff. How does it compare to Unmatched, if you’ve played that?

Edit: it actually seems more similar to D-Day Dice, really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’ve never heard of this game, and I am pretty plugged in to board game stuff.

You mean you don't stay up to date with the latest and greatest board game YouTube content with all your favorite creators losing their poo poo in a video of nothing but YouTube Face clips?

https://youtu.be/pZeEidQSB4o

What a fake gamer you are.

Dice Throne is fine but this is absolutely insufferable garbage that makes me embarrassed for the whole hobby.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’ve never heard of this game, and I am pretty plugged in to board game stuff. How does it compare to Unmatched, if you’ve played that?

Edit: it actually seems more similar to D-Day Dice, really?
"Arena Battle Yahtzee" is probably closest imo.

It's asymmetrical Yahtzee/push-your-luck plus resource management and luck mitigation through cards.

That's kind of reducing it down to its bones but it's a bunch of fun and looks & feels wonderful.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Also they did a good job of making the characters "feel" differently with how they play based on status effects, dice faces, and abilities. For example the Paladin is slow and hard to kill and the Cursed Pirate eventually flips their board over and has different, stronger abilities but with self-damage every turn after flipped in exchange, making it a race to the finish.

It's not the crunchiest game, but it's fun!

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Bottom Liner posted:

Dice Throne is fine but this is absolutely insufferable garbage that makes me embarrassed for the whole hobby.

Yeah people who have dedicated their lives to board games getting excited about board games, how... embarrassing?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

Yeah people who have dedicated their lives to board games getting excited about board games, how... embarrassing?

I live in a constant state of embarrassment.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

getting excited about board games, how... embarrassing?

There are no board games in that video.

Blind taste test commercials featuring kids from the late 90s had more value to consumers than this dreck.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Bottom Liner posted:

There are no board games in that video.

Blind taste test commercials featuring kids from the late 90s had more value to consumers than this dreck.

It's marketing. It's not supposed to be "valuable" to consumers, it's supposed to attract attention. Calling their reactions fake or hummed up or something is one thing. But the existence of the video itself is nothing to really bat an eye at.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The video is dumb but it's dumb in the same way those car commercials with the "we filmed REAL reactions to this car" are. We all know no one is tripping themselves fawning over arena yacht dice.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I live in a constant state of embarrassment.

Bringing up board games to new people to get a sense of they would be interested in playing feels like asking someone about whether they are interested in participating in some unusual fetish thing.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

This is the only good commercial for a boardgame ever anyway because it has Christopher Lee narrating

https://youtu.be/CRynOXfqWkk?si=nBi3DQItQDzqPV1S

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
REAL goons REACT to new board games!! (#3 will BLOW your MIND 🤯🤯🤯💦💦🍆💯

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Lord Wexia posted:

Bringing up board games to new people to get a sense of they would be interested in playing feels like asking someone about whether they are interested in participating in some unusual fetish thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Are you open to... cooperation?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Some of those bgg mechanics sound like secret fetlife code words.

Yes, I’m into flicking, force commitment, and most definitely taking that

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I give people an impromptu interview like giving them a personality test while I mentally exclude games from my library like a game of Guess Who

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

It's marketing. It's not supposed to be "valuable" to consumers, it's supposed to attract attention.

That does not mean all marketing is equal. Review copies sent to media is marketing too, but can be very useful to consumers if the outlets aren't the kinds of shills featured in that video. Clickbait garbage like that fills me with a secondhand embarrassment for all involved.

In similar nonsense, some crowdfunding sites now let you display a countdown timer to the preview page for the campaign. A timer for a timer. Stop the madness.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
making a video where board game and TCG content creators make the youtube excited face over seeing my list of problematic paraphilia

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
caylus but with the guy doing youtube face

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

SettingSun posted:

I give people an impromptu interview like giving them a personality test while I mentally exclude games from my library like a game of Guess Who

So do you guys ever play board games?

“Yeah we like Disney Scene-It and Cranium”

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

SettingSun posted:

You're in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down and you see a tortoise crawling towards you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun beating its legs, trying to turn itself over but it can't, not without your help, but you're not helping. It will be worth 3 points per adjacent completed city at the end of the game.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Impermanent posted:

caylus but with the guy doing youtube face

Ask and you shall receive... from a guy with zero artistic talent.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
that should be the next box art for caylus

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

my favourite cover art is Nevsky

cause the reflection of the ghost in the war proves that he actually exists in the world and is present in that scene rather than being artistic license

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That’s Nev, right?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

In the sky, yep

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Nev in the sky with teutons

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I don't own Dice Throne, but I own multiple Roxley Games stuff via KS.
The quality is exceptional, they do amazing value for money, and deliver ahead of schedule.

One of very very few companies I can recommend on KS

Speaking of dice games, I just got notification of this upcoming game from The Kniz + Ian O'Toole, published by Bitewing Games

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3152317/sept-12-cascadero-list-predicted-faqs

Should be interesting to see some previews for it at least.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Crossposting from the TG Industry thread, since it came up here a few times.

dwarf74 posted:

Adam is officially out from No Rolls Barred.

There's more info and discussion there, though there's honestly little to say.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Crossposting from the TG Industry thread, since it came up here a few times.

There's more info and discussion there, though there's honestly little to say.

quote:

. However, I want to make clear that my choice to leave is for the welfare of myself and the people around me, I have not been dismissed.

Notable bit there, but the rest of his message is a doozy too.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

gently caress him. Absolute boiler plate non-apology as well, though it's probably been done for legal reasons.

Unfortunately also a big blow for the channel in general, as his charisma and levity as the main host was a big part of the draw of what was effectively Tabletop 2.0

Probably going to have to go through a period of re-establishing themselves a bit, which sucks.
Been watching the recent vids and Sullivan looks constantly lost without Adam acting as the other half of their shared brain cell.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tigris & Euphrates reprint delayed to 2024/25
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3152374/tigris-euphrates-reprint-delayed-beyond-2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Infinitum posted:

gently caress him. Absolute boiler plate non-apology as well, though it's probably been done for legal reasons.

Unfortunately also a big blow for the channel in general, as his charisma and levity as the main host was a big part of the draw of what was effectively Tabletop 2.0

Probably going to have to go through a period of re-establishing themselves a bit, which sucks.
Been watching the recent vids and Sullivan looks constantly lost without Adam acting as the other half of their shared brain cell.

Just have Quinns do ANOTHER project and have him pop in from time to time playing on House Rules and also giving gripping monologues about whatever PMG is doing this time. Should be fine! :v:

I'm just glad NRB did the right thing and hopefully they can stabilize a bit now find their second footing.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

game obtained

front of box (w/whopping 1% discount applied)

any beginner (cow) tips for how to out-god my opponents?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Candy Camels, your time is up. It's the age of candy trains.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

panko posted:

game obtained

front of box (w/whopping 1% discount applied)

any beginner (cow) tips for how to out-god my opponents?

Find something to get income

Engai + ivory carver is a great turn 1

Herd is slow and can paint a target on your back but can be huge

Figure out if you want the game to go slower or not, and if you do, slam secondaries down to pump the brakes

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bottom Liner posted:

Candy Camels, your time is up. It's the age of candy trains.

You bastard, mine hasn't arrived yet. Can't wait.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 14, 2023

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
mine just arrived too! looks beautiful :)

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Mine is scheduled to be delivered on Friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I already had a PNP one :smug:

Still haven't gotten a shipping notice for 89 but that's not uncommon