Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Leal posted:

You fool, you'll summon snake tits guy!

Snaket It Snow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ImpAtom posted:

I am just waiting for someone to realize they can create an automated thing to constantly uninstall and reinstall a game over and over to force developers over the 200,000 mark no matter what.
My guess is that it will use the same sense of "install" as any other per-seat licensing, in that it'll be based on some kind of system ID and re-installing it over and over on the same system won't register as a new installation unless you majorly change the hardware. But that doesn't mean it's not a deranged system devoid of forethought and easily exploitable given a strong enough will to do so. I mean generally speaking people are trying not to invalidate their seat license in situations like this. I don't think the system is conceptually particularly bulletproof against people purposefully spoofing their MAC address to force a new license or whatever.

Volte fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 12, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
https://store.steampowered.com/sale/steam20

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Volte posted:

My guess is that it will use the same sense of "install" as any other per-seat licensing, in that it'll be based on some kind of system ID and re-installing it over and over on the same system won't register as a new installation unless you majorly change the hardware. But that doesn't mean it's not a deranged system devoid of forethought and easily exploitable given a strong enough will to do so. I mean generally speaking people are trying not to invalidate their seat license in situations like this. I don't think the system is conceptually particularly bulletproof against people purposefully spoofing their MAC address to force a new license or whatever.

there's plenty of prior art in deliberately changing hardware-bound identifiers in the field of cheating, to get around HWID bans

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus the people working at Valve are old.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

You'll observe in this image that Gordon Freeman appears to have his back turned from the viewer, his face obscured. Despite what you may initially believe, he is not facing backwards, he is facing forwards, towards the future, Half Life 3 confirmed.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Look at the Scout wearing a blazer. :3:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Be sure to visit the points shop to claim a free tunak tunak tun profile background and feel extremely old.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

HopperUK posted:

Look at the Scout wearing a blazer. :3:

I mean he's old now, he's retired to do commentary.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

And yet it still looks a good size or two too big on him.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

K8.0 posted:

I mean he's old now, he's retired to do commentary.

Put him with this guy

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

who cares about the Unity stuff? Its not like any major games are being ma...

:rip:

mystes
May 31, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

apparently 50% of the games added to steam in 2021 used unity

I can't find new information so I'm not sure if it's gone up or down since then

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

lmfao they put Artifact in there for 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

silksong will not be affected due to it having zero installs, as it is a fake game that does not exist

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Eh he has like 300k+ shares and they were part of his compensation package so it’s not a really huge gotcha

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Pleads posted:

Padding my 127MB indie game with 50GB of assets to discourage people from installing it too often.

Game installers to come with anti-bot checks. "Prove you are human, click all the Sonics in the pictures until none are left".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just don't distribute games as installers. Distribute them as archives.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

Be sure to visit the points shop to claim a free tunak tunak tun profile background and feel extremely old.
huge missed opportunity not to have a points shop item that makes your profile page look like OldSteam like the front page does currently

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

huge missed opportunity not to have a points shop item that makes your profile page look like OldSteam like the front page does currently

https://store.steampowered.com/points/shop/c/profilebundles/reward/121188 not quite as close as the current front page though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

quote:

Lots of milestones happening OFF of Steam too:
Apple launches the very first iPhone; Netflix starts streaming; and Keyboard Cat is one of several memes of the moment.

Bastards

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun but it's Turok Turok 2 and Daler Mehndi is a dinosoid

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ErrEff posted:

Game installers to come with anti-bot checks. "Prove you are human, click all the Sonics in the pictures until none are left".

The captcha is telling me to click all the playstation games but I don’t think it’s loading?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1701679721027633280

I expect revisions shortly.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's okay, developers can earn credits towards these fees by integrating additional Unity monetization services into their games. No one will ever have to worry about this because there will be enough ads in Unity games going forward to cover all the fees :)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Congrats to Tim Sweeney I guess

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/1701685282129539485

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/KrisWolfheart/status/1701634419092607039

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
this is going great!

https://twitter.com/AggroCrabGames/status/1701691036832309260

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
riccitello subscribes to the “gently caress are you gonna do about it” school of business so let’s hope mihoyo makes a few phone calls to the board of directors or something

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1701679722873127404

Don't worry! They've got fraud detection, and a compliance team that has every incentive to ignore reports of malicious fraud :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is this Unity thing supposed to be retroactive as well?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
rip unity, if no walking back it's fully dead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you pirate the game would that count towards installs?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Begemot posted:

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1701679722873127404

Don't worry! They've got fraud detection, and a compliance team that has every incentive to ignore reports of malicious fraud :v:

Look, Unity is just trying to stir nostalgia for the days of old by once again making the sane path to be buying a game, not installing it, then pirating it to play it.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

so what will rise up and take the throne that unity has decided to abdicate? are there competitors waiting in the wings?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ImpAtom posted:

Presumably pirates are going to strip out whatever part of the new installer is phoning home.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Awesome! posted:

are there competitors waiting in the wings?

Godot, for one.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Kibayasu posted:

Is this Unity thing supposed to be retroactive as well?
In the sense that you owe money for previous installs no. In the sense that starting Jan 1 2024 you'll have to pay for future installs of games that you published years ago yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The Tweet that Barry Convex posted alleges "regardless of how that copy was obtained", but yea I'm not entirely sure how that'd work.

Even as someone who just casually dabbles in game dev and will probably never ever sell anything, this makes me want to finally learn Unreal instead out of principle.