Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Junpei posted:

Eternights also has a horny best bro dude who, yeah, makes some questionable comments here and there but get this:

he hits on a girl. the girl says she's asexual. IMMEDIATELY AND RESPECTFULLY SLAMS ON THE BRAKES AND APOLOGIZES. never flirts with her again.

I think we can do better yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

But how does eternights actually play. I don't care that it has some lame humor.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Junpei posted:

Eternights also has a horny best bro dude who, yeah, makes some questionable comments here and there but get this:

he hits on a girl. the girl says she's asexual. IMMEDIATELY AND RESPECTFULLY SLAMS ON THE BRAKES AND APOLOGIZES. never flirts with her again.

ok

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sounds decent

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

But how does eternights actually play. I don't care that it has some lame humor.

Combat was insanely janky during the hour I played, like sub-FuRyu action rpg combat. Looked like you unlock a bunch more stuff but it starts out like one attack button plus dodge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's kind of action-RPGy with some elements of elemental weakness stuff, but in practice it basically just amounts to mashing a QTE button as fast as possible.

It's kind of the definition of a Wait For A Sale game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH6m2w2N0CY

Disgaea 7 Demo just dropped

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

ImpAtom posted:

It's kind of the definition of a Wait For A Sale game.

Didn't bode well that it was 10% off with preorder on ps5

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Pirilika is cute

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel bad since I know it is my own bias but the 3D in Disgaea just looks so much worse than the 2D that it kind of turns me off wanting to play it. It's not like terrible 3D but it looks cheap in a way I don't find charming compared to Disgaea 1-5's cheap in a way I find charming.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Tsunami Bomb?!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

personally id hit on her here. im just built different

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
glad they decided to revive disgaea's usage of, the song that on relistening to it i decided was a lot worse than the game's original music

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Tbh all disgaea music blurs together to the point where the castle theme from the very first game is the only song my brain bothers to remember

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FireWorksWell posted:

Didn't bode well that it was 10% off with preorder on ps5

eh a lot of indie games do this

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The disgaea composer can make One Song and I don't even dislike it much but basically everything sounds exactly the same lol.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I remember White Tiger

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the hub music in D4 ftw.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The disgaea composer can make One Song and I don't even dislike it much but basically everything sounds exactly the same lol.

i mean maybe across the entire series with how quickly it kind of falls into a melange of itself but disgaea 1 has some pretty distinctive tracks and phantom brave and soul nomad have a lot of great music

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Speed Queen and Running Fire ftw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtvdQkS-Fjc

i like the soul nomad ost

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it was an intentional enough choice that they did some pre-rendered scenes still using the popeye models.

I think those are the ones done by the studio in the US and square only sent them those models

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also Prinny has a pretty drat good soundtrack

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWWgsmSMAcYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJYhZDNwRqchttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtvdQkS-Fjc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh crahs landing got posted immediately before i posted it. uhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCm6Uvby3Q0

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Rhapsody games also have really good and distinct soundtracks

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I feel bad since I know it is my own bias but the 3D in Disgaea just looks so much worse than the 2D that it kind of turns me off wanting to play it. It's not like terrible 3D but it looks cheap in a way I don't find charming compared to Disgaea 1-5's cheap in a way I find charming.

Heck, it doesn't help matters that with Disgaea 6 the 3d resulted in them having to scale down the number of classes so it did feel like the game suffered for it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
hearing tsunami bomb again was very cool

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Looper posted:

eh a lot of indie games do this
You're right, I forgot that was kind of a trend.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Meowywitch posted:

Pirilika is cute

What even are everyone's names gonna be... Plus all those netherworlds that are just Japanese prefectures with evil-sounding kanji.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

What even are everyone's names gonna be... Plus all those netherworlds that are just Japanese prefectures with evil-sounding kanji.
i guess you could do pun names

hodiedo
okillnawa

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its interesting because they seem like an attempt to translate the more cartoonish/expressive sprites in 16-bit RPGs to a 3D game, which isn't something which really lasted trends in game development and graphics

That style sorta came back later on; it's pretty close to what FF3 DS / FHoL / BD have going on.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

not a fan of these models

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you people with the glenn greenwald av need to get different avs i can't tell you apart

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
ANIME

INSIDE OF ME

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Ibram Gaunt posted:

you're either playing a very janky hit+run action RPG or an almost absurdly fast-paced reflex tester

i'm playing on hard mode and i think some of these reaction windows are <.30s it's nuts.

I think the game I've played most like it is Tokyo Xanadu. It's got Persona time-management stuff but your stats and move unlocks do change quite a bit based on who you're spending time with so it feels... sort-of mechanically rewarding. not perfect but moreso than other games like it

if one guy wrote this script he had a hell of an editor at least. it's a little childish but it's also very genuine and natural sounding in a way videogames scripts don't often hit.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So Baten Kaitos Remastered comes out Thursday; I own both games on GC but being able to actually play them will be a gigantic pain in the rear end and I maybe got an hour into BK1 before I was like "this is cool" but got sidetracked into other poo poo (and holy poo poo BK1's dub was a special kind of awful that I will miss)

What am I in for with these games; after finishing Baldur's Gate 3, I kinda need a dramatic change of pace

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
baten kaitos is a deck builder where the primary gimmicks are that many cards can change in real time. milk -> yogurt -> cheese, or a flaming sword that loses its flame, for example. some cards can change in like twenty minutes, one particular card takes literally two weeks lol. and you can deal more damage by playing straights with the little numbers on the corners of your cards. it's infamous for having a really bad dub but the story is cool otherwise and it's one of the prettiest gamecube games

i've never played the sequel but from what i understand it is a prequel with a faster and much more streamlined battle system. hype to check it out

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Barudak posted:

Cross Code is a puzzle platforming game with some combat thrown in to break it up a little.

finally someone has sold me on cross code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Looper posted:

baten kaitos is a deck builder where the primary gimmicks are that many cards can change in real time. milk -> yogurt -> cheese, or a flaming sword that loses its flame, for example. some cards can change in like twenty minutes, one particular card takes literally two weeks lol. and you can deal more damage by playing straights with the little numbers on the corners of your cards. it's infamous for having a really bad dub but the story is cool otherwise and it's one of the prettiest gamecube games

i've never played the sequel but from what i understand it is a prequel with a faster and much more streamlined battle system. hype to check it out

important: the sequel has a fighting game announcer voice constantly barking out poo poo mid battle like RELAY COMBO

it owns