Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

There is a 90s (?) electronic/dance song that has the audio of a carjacking as the only words followed by a couple gunshots, and the rest of the song is a hard electronic/drum beat.

The words are -
"Bitch get out the fuckin' car."
"Get the gently caress away from me."
"Oh gently caress me? Nah, gently caress you bitch." *gunshots*

The quotes might be from a movie or just made for the song.

It was incorrectly named "Fatboy Slim Gangsta Tripping" on Kazaa or Napster.

It's been a little nagging bug in my brain for like 20 years. I'd like to find it to put it to rest. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

A friend of mine has been into experimental musician "DissolvedPaul" since the early 2000s. His favorite was a track called Mirror Run.

At some point my friend's hard drive died and he couldn't find Mirror Run again, and it turns out DissolvedPaul lost all of his tapes from that era in a fire.

There's a newer Mirror Wipe recording but it's just not the same.

If anyone can locate Mirror Run it'd make a phenomenal reverse-birthday present for the guy who's missed its absence for going on two decades now.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
when I was a child, sometime in the 90s, my parents rented a movie from our local corner video store. the premise is kinda cloudy to me at this point, but what I remember is that there's a group of people running from another group that is trying to kill them. at one point in the chase, they extend a ladder between two rooftops and all climb across to evade capture, but the last guy to try to cross is too scared and the people chasing pull the ladder back, leading to the guy falling to his death.

I wanna say Dennis Leary is in this movie? but I'm not 100% sure if that's true or if I just have brain damage from years of drug abuse.

I actually found the movie again some years back, but I forgot it again and now I'm here to beg for a 3rd chance to bask in some childhood nostalgia.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Judgment night

You were correct about Dennis Leary being in it. Your details on the ladder event are a tish off though

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Judgment Night?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Judgment night

You were correct about Dennis Leary being in it. Your details on the ladder event are a tish off though

I think my memory of it is poisoned by that happened several other times I've seen that trope used after that instance.

also, THANK YOU!!!!! that's definitely it.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Judgment Night has a banger of a soundtrack too

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Old B&W suspense film I vaguely remember from a public-domain collection at Wal-Mart.

The premise (what I can remember of it) involved a man in a wheelchair being betrayed by his wife, who was taking advantage of his limited mobility by meeting with her accomplice/lover in areas of the big house that the wheelchair couldn't go to.

The twist at the end was that some sort of miracle cure or magic or something had restored his legs, but he was suspicious and was sneaking around and spying on her the entire time.

These details may be incorrect, I do not have strong memories here - some of the other movies on the same disc were extremely inappropriate and we threw it away.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Gnoman posted:

Old B&W suspense film I vaguely remember from a public-domain collection at Wal-Mart.

The premise (what I can remember of it) involved a man in a wheelchair being betrayed by his wife, who was taking advantage of his limited mobility by meeting with her accomplice/lover in areas of the big house that the wheelchair couldn't go to.

The twist at the end was that some sort of miracle cure or magic or something had restored his legs, but he was suspicious and was sneaking around and spying on her the entire time.

These details may be incorrect, I do not have strong memories here - some of the other movies on the same disc were extremely inappropriate and we threw it away.

That's Judgment Night

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

stab posted:

That's Judgment Night

Only movie I can find by that name is a very different kind of movie from 1993, and this was far older. I'm guessing you have the right title, but the newer film is clogging the results, perhaps?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Gnoman posted:

Only movie I can find by that name is a very different kind of movie from 1993, and this was far older. I'm guessing you have the right title, but the newer film is clogging the results, perhaps?

:lol:

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

stab posted:

That's Judgment Night

:roflolmao:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Gnoman posted:

Well played

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Ok, this one is from when I was a kid, I was told a story about how one day, there was gonna be this big climactic event, and only a select group of people were gonna be saved from it. Any ideas?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hammer Bro. posted:

A friend of mine has been into experimental musician "DissolvedPaul" since the early 2000s. His favorite was a track called Mirror Run.

At some point my friend's hard drive died and he couldn't find Mirror Run again, and it turns out DissolvedPaul lost all of his tapes from that era in a fire.

There's a newer Mirror Wipe recording but it's just not the same.

If anyone can locate Mirror Run it'd make a phenomenal reverse-birthday present for the guy who's missed its absence for going on two decades now.

What's a reverse birthday present

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Ok, this one is from when I was a kid, I was told a story about how one day, there was gonna be this big climactic event, and only a select group of people were gonna be saved from it. Any ideas?

Judgment Night. Or Flubber.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Slugworth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHCdS7O248g

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slugworth posted:

I might know this one but could you give some details and dates? There's a few different editions and a whole bunch of translations and that's not even getting into the fan works and extended canon.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Slugworth posted:

I got you, fam.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's a reverse birthday present

It was my birthday, but if anyone could scrounge that up he sure as heck would be the one getting the gift.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Slugworth posted:

... The rapture?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

There is a 90s (?) electronic/dance song that has the audio of a carjacking as the only words followed by a couple gunshots, and the rest of the song is a hard electronic/drum beat.

The words are -

It's been a little nagging bug in my brain for like 20 years. I'd like to find it to put it to rest. :D

Could be Stop Frontin by Schoolly D, starting midway through the song, or something sampling that, but I couldn't find anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OBkSOMWkoA&t=86s

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Crows Turn Off posted:

The words are -

The quote sounds familiar like it might be from a skit/intro for a 90's gangster rapper, or from the first or second Bloods & Crops cd "Bangin on wax"

I'd recommend looking out for the skit/intro then look for its use on whosampled.com

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Aramis posted:

Could be Stop Frontin by Schoolly D, starting midway through the song, or something sampling that, but I couldn't find anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OBkSOMWkoA&t=86s
Dude, I could kiss you on the mouth. That is absolutely the vocal audio in the song. One step closer and I think it might actually be possible to find now.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Okay, so I’m not looking for the name of a film but rather where to purchase and/or watch it online

“Metal Days” (1986) by Shozin Fukui: https://boxd.it/gGPw

I can’t find this poo poo anywhere - ebay, internet archives, :files:, you name it.

There are some people who have been looking for it as well to no avail: https://www.reddit.com/r/CultCinema/comments/4l2yl1/does_anyone_know_where_to_watch_shozin_fukuis/

If anyone even knows of any resale sites based in Japan that might have a copy of this it would be appreciated.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gnoman posted:

I've seen this too. I remember the name of the other B&W movie I watched around the same time, What ever happened to Baby Jane?, but that doesn't help you.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

hark posted:

when I was a child, sometime in the 90s, my parents rented a movie from our local corner video store. the premise is kinda cloudy to me at this point, but what I remember is that there's a group of people running from another group that is trying to kill them. at one point in the chase, they extend a ladder between two rooftops and all climb across to evade capture, but the last guy to try to cross is too scared and the people chasing pull the ladder back, leading to the guy falling to his death.

I wanna say Dennis Leary is in this movie? but I'm not 100% sure if that's true or if I just have brain damage from years of drug abuse.

I actually found the movie again some years back, but I forgot it again and now I'm here to beg for a 3rd chance to bask in some childhood nostalgia.

That ladder scene happens almost exactly as you described in the latest Scream movie but I'm sure it's happened in others.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

"A QUICK DISCLAIMER: I'm sorry, I can't help you see this film. I watched it on VHS for an episode of my podcast. I cannot digitise it. It is not my VHS. The person who owns the VHS cannot digitise it. "
this seems like a very easy problem to fix that they're just not gonna

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

MrQwerty posted:

"A QUICK DISCLAIMER: I'm sorry, I can't help you see this film. I watched it on VHS for an episode of my podcast. I cannot digitise it. It is not my VHS. The person who owns the VHS cannot digitise it. "
this seems like a very easy problem to fix that they're just not gonna

Right?? I will loving digitize it myself if i can borrow it lol

EDIT: the guy says “it can’t be digitized” and that he explains details on why in a podcast episode, but I’m not going to listen to a whole spoilery review of this just to find out why.. gonna continue searching.

Rooney McNibnug fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 15, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean it most certainly can even if you have to film it off the screen

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

That ladder scene happens almost exactly as you described in the latest Scream movie but I'm sure it's happened in others.

I recall it being in Adventures in Babysitting (1987) too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

... The rapture?

I remember a bunch of red-and-white posters about the rapture happening in 1994 pasted all around when I was growing up. They were really durable and on the backs of road signs. Does anyone know what I’m talking about? This was in the American northeast.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

I AM GRANDO posted:

I remember a bunch of red-and-white posters about the rapture happening in 1994 pasted all around when I was growing up. They were really durable and on the backs of road signs. Does anyone know what I’m talking about? This was in the American northeast.
Yes, these are amazingly enough still around:

It was these guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dami_Mission

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It was a huge relief. You wouldn't have to worry about a halloween costume that year

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neon Noodle posted:

Yes, these are amazingly enough still around:

It was these guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dami_Mission

Thanks for posting that. I couldn’t remember the year or the date, and the 1990s had a bunch of doomsday predictions, making it hard to google.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
A long rear end time ago some company ran a proto-gamepass style service called Gametap that I had as a kid. It introduced me to a ton of games and stuff that really shaped my tastes and gave me an appreciation for retro stuff.

They had some deal with Sega and included a ton of their games for download, including a few awesome Dreamcast games. This included a few that absolutely never had PC ports, like Toy Commander and Chu Chu Rocket. This means that either this company had a Dreamcast emulator that ran flawlessly on a 2006 era Intel Celeron, or it was some kind of streaming deal that somehow worked flawlessly on our DSL connection. Either way, I would love to find the secret to however the gently caress they got that working.

The service also had a lot of videos to watch including some series where they got rappers to play retro games and that's probably all lost media now.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011

emSparkly posted:

The service also had a lot of videos to watch including some series where they got rappers to play retro games and that's probably all lost media now.

Looks like the Gametap TV stuff might be on the the Gametap Youtube channel. I noticed a series called "Play This Game" with short segments featuring musicians and Games Radar employees describing why you should check out retro games.

Any info I could find about the Dreamcast emulator seemed unreliable. Some speculated it used ChanKast, which was the only DC emulator that played commercial games at the time. Other sources suggest they built their own emulator customized for each DC title. Gametap was backed by Turner Broadcasting, so It's not inconceivable they had the resources to develop something in house.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

emSparkly posted:

A long rear end time ago some company ran a proto-gamepass style service called Gametap that I had as a kid. It introduced me to a ton of games and stuff that really shaped my tastes and gave me an appreciation for retro stuff.

They had some deal with Sega and included a ton of their games for download, including a few awesome Dreamcast games. This included a few that absolutely never had PC ports, like Toy Commander and Chu Chu Rocket. This means that either this company had a Dreamcast emulator that ran flawlessly on a 2006 era Intel Celeron, or it was some kind of streaming deal that somehow worked flawlessly on our DSL connection. Either way, I would love to find the secret to however the gently caress they got that working.

Gametap used a Virtual Console I believe, with a dedicated Dreamcast emulator (likely produced by Sega.)

Gametap later launched a VOD service with its own original content, including quite bizarrely the Lara Croft Tomb Raider animated series (where Lara was somewhat oddly voiced by Minnie Driver!)

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Cool stuff. Considering how they were the original publishers of Telltale's first big hit, the ad campaign they ran, and the gently caress huge library they had on offer, you'd think they'd be better remembered. Somehow I'm the only person I know who ever subscribed to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

emSparkly posted:

Cool stuff. Considering how they were the original publishers of Telltale's first big hit, the ad campaign they ran, and the gently caress huge library they had on offer, you'd think they'd be better remembered. Somehow I'm the only person I know who ever subscribed to it.

I remember the ads

Also helio cellphones