Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Yet another ponzi-esque thing with vague and questionable details arises.

https://twitter.com/watanabesota/status/1701386696737353827/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Unfortunately yes, I have.

Quick story.

As background, there are certain restrictions on who can hold shares in what countries. Not all shares can be held by particular citizens. There might be a legend applied that prevents shares issued in one country to be sold in another for a period of time.

Any new shares issued are 99% of the time sent to a brokers pooled account and there is no way to differentiate between one share and another. Because of this of shares are issued in the restricted country, it prevents movement to the regular country for the entirety of all the shares in the restricted country.

Certain companies hate this. There are ways around it but they are expensive.

Most recently, after yet another "discussion" with a CFO of a billion dollar multinational company about the movement restriction that CFO came back to me with a 4 word email. They literally said:-

"Blockchain would solve this"

We are hosed.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Did this web3 idiot just scam himself into a director position at Sony?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Sophy Wackles posted:

Did this web3 idiot just scam himself into a director position at Sony?

no, he scammed himself into a director position at "Sony Network Communications Labs Pte. Ltd.", which appears to be about as far removed from Sony as is legally possible

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
someone should hack sony again and steal all their apes.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

drk posted:

no, he scammed himself into a director position at "Sony Network Communications Labs Pte. Ltd.", which appears to be about as far removed from Sony as is legally possible

lmao, he got a job at Soh-Nee. Totally the same!

I was wondering why it was Sony Network Communications Labs, not regular ole Sony Corporation. I wonder what happens when Sony, corp finds out!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I was wondering why it was Sony Network Communications Labs, not regular ole Sony Corporation. I wonder what happens when Sony, corp finds out!
It's a joint partnership of a Sony wholly owned subsidiary. So it's Sony but not Sony.

$700k spends the same however many shell companies get put in between so grats Web3 guy.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Trillhouse posted:

Co-founder of $4 billion crypto ponzi scheme gets 20 years in prison, ‘Cryptoqueen’ partner remains at large
The co-founder of the fraudulent OneCoin cryptocurrency, a massive pyramid scheme that amassed over $4 billion from millions of investors worldwide, was sentenced Tuesday to 20 years in prison.

Karl Sebastian Greenwood, who orchestrated the multibillion-dollar multi-level marketing con, pleaded guilty in December to wire fraud and money laundering charges.

His partner, Ruja Ignatova, known as the “Cryptoqueen” on the FBI’s Top 10 Most Wanted list, remains at large, the Department of Justice said.

Thats not bitcoin

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

if Ruja "Cryptoqueen" Ignatova is arrested she should go to the same prison as Heather "Razzlekhan" Morgan so they can war for control of their block

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Scratch Monkey posted:

if Ruja "Cryptoqueen" Ignatova is arrested she should go to the same prison as Heather "Razzlekhan" Morgan so they can war for control of their block

If it escalated to a rap battle there would be no survivors.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Tsietisin posted:

This whole BB&B thing is amusing to me as I work for one of the major Transfer Agents/Share Registrars. In particular I'm a client manager that deals with these multinationals and their shares.

The suggestion that invisible or fake shares could be used is impossible. In cases of any discrepancy the transfer agents record is deemed as the correct version. Anyone trying to add anything to the register that the transfer agent knows nothing about, cannot happen.

The fake share theory only makes sense if you work backwards from the desired conclusion: apes must own significantly more shares than are being shorted in order to trigger MOASS and drive the share price to infinity. In order for that to be possible they need some excuse to ignore everyone involved with the stock except themselves and their enemies, so wouldn't it be convenient if only stock held by apes counted?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Trillhouse posted:

Co-founder of $4 billion crypto ponzi scheme gets 20 years in prison, ‘Cryptoqueen’ partner remains at large
The co-founder of the fraudulent OneCoin cryptocurrency, a massive pyramid scheme that amassed over $4 billion from millions of investors worldwide, was sentenced Tuesday to 20 years in prison.

Karl Sebastian Greenwood, who orchestrated the multibillion-dollar multi-level marketing con, pleaded guilty in December to wire fraud and money laundering charges.

His partner, Ruja Ignatova, known as the “Cryptoqueen” on the FBI’s Top 10 Most Wanted list, remains at large, the Department of Justice said.

quote:

Both Greenwood and Ignatova consistently portrayed OneCoin as being the next Bitcoin-like crypto investment opportunity. But “unlike legitimate cryptocurrencies, OneCoin had no actual value and was conceived of by Greenwood and Ignatova as a fraud from day one” the DOJ said.

lmao

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Magissima posted:

The fake share theory only makes sense if you work backwards from the desired conclusion: apes must own significantly more shares than are being shorted in order to trigger MOASS and drive the share price to infinity. In order for that to be possible they need some excuse to ignore everyone involved with the stock except themselves and their enemies, so wouldn't it be convenient if only stock held by apes counted?

That’s pretty much how all their ‘ due diligence’ theorycrafting works. Start at the end result you want then argue backwards while anyone who questions it is a shill enemy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ryde posted:

BBBY had a bunch of provisions that made it difficult for shareholders to sue, and the SEC objected to those provisions. Obviously, the apes got mad at the SEC for objecting, because why expect them to understand what is happening. After the judge struck down the objections, the apes started celebrating how shills were rekt.

But aren't the apes BBBY shareholders, wouldn't they want the judge to overturn provisions that make it hard for shareholders to sue?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

VitalSigns posted:

But aren't the apes BBBY shareholders, wouldn't they want the judge to overturn provisions that make it hard for shareholders to sue?

They should want that. But they have some dumb theory that the plan has to be accepted in order for Ryan Cohen to come in with his deal, and the SEC was trying to delay that to help the hedge funds. Its gibberish but apes are really dumb.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Boxturret posted:

Ryan Cohen is going to buy all the dead companies that you, personally, bought and held stock in, and will merge them all together in to a Bed Bath and Beyond, Gamestop, Blockbuster blob that will fight and defeat Amazon!

gmerica

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Foo Diddley posted:

i'm cherishing my last days as a poor

new thread title

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Look. The only conclusion I will accept is the one that I pulled out my rear end. What are you, an rear end hater?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Look. The only conclusion I will accept is the one that I pulled out my rear end. What are you, an rear end hater?

Please don't mistake me for an rear end hater, notwithoutmyanus.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Magissima posted:

Everything they do is predicated on the assumption that they're already rich by buying BBBYQ stock, and everything between here and there is just logistics that will sort itself out. The idea that there might be circuit breakers, that markets could roll back transactions, that their stocks will be voided in a bankruptcy, that "the hedgies" may themselves declare bankruptcy rather than pay "phone numbers" for their stock, the idea that the government might not backstop the debt owed to them, these are all FUD, lies, or just straight ignored.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

if they could understand things like the law and logic and what is happening they wouldn't be bbby shareholders anymore

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I just love how they mythologise holding, like doing nothing is this herculean effort that deserves to be rewarded with all the money in the world.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Some BBBY True Believer posted:

I'm cherishing my last days as a poor. It's truly inspiring to think about. I'll either be massively wealthy which would be nice, or I lose some money... either way, I've made loads of friends that have similar views as me and that's priceless. I'm already wondering what we'll invest in next after BBBYQ and GameStop.

If I'm being honest, loads of people here want MOASS and to sell into retirement. Ryan reads Reddit, he's for sure seen Mark Cuban's tweet about hedge funds goal of NEVER closing. I HONESTLY think Ryan is trying to give us a reason to never sell. You can't engineer a short squeeze, so he's going loving looong term. He's going to aquire all these hugely undervalued companies and loop them together into the next Amazon with the intention of delivering the best customer support and shopping experience possible. Expose the decades long infinite money glitch and let the massive short positions close over a year+ of swaps and hidden crime. In 5 years he'll have the most valuable company in the world.

I only want to sell what will change my immediate life and hold the rest forever.

I can't tell if this is a troll or not....

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Infinite money glitch" is interesting, they think real life works is just like video games and you can jump on that turtle shell until infinite lives lambos fall out.

Come to think of it, a lot of this revolves around gaming, like how many of the blockchain "business opportunities" are basically "what if you got paid to play Candy Crush" or "what if these monkey jpegs are character skins you can buy now and sell later at a huge markup to new players in a monkey-based video game"

drk
Jan 16, 2005

daslog posted:

I can't tell if this is a troll or not....

"I'm cherishing my last days as a poor" is a sizable percentage of americans

capitalism.gif etc

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

VitalSigns posted:

"Infinite money glitch" is interesting, they think real life works is just like video games and you can jump on that turtle shell until infinite lives lambos fall out.

Come to think of it, a lot of this revolves around gaming, like how many of the blockchain "business opportunities" are basically "what if you got paid to play Candy Crush" or "what if these monkey jpegs are character skins you can buy now and sell later at a huge markup to new players in a monkey-based video game"

You’ve cracked the code for why this is poison to the average Reddit user.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

ngl, the founders of all the coin exchanges and nfts and all those bullshit scams, really did make gamers give up tons of cash.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

nfts and all those bullshit scams really did make gamers morons give up tons of cash crypto of dubious origin

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
They are prosperity gospel televangelists that traded their targeted religion for a different targeted culture

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

They are prosperity gospel televangelists that traded their targeted religion for a different targeted culture

he who is without diamonds hands shall be banished to poverty in perpetuity.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

VitalSigns posted:

As a general rule of thumb, apes are against things that would benefit them and in favor of whatever causes them to lose the most money.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Boxturret posted:

If it escalated to a rap battle there would be no survivors.

best epic rap battles of history episode ever

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Deptfordx posted:

Well he is the Kwizatz Haderach.

You mean the Kwizatz Hodlerach.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

VitalSigns posted:

I have a hypothesis that a lot of these "if I game the system this way I'll be able to get whatever I want out of it!" ideas - not just meme stonks and buttcoins, but so far as Sovereign Citizens and PUAs - come from video game-type thinking, where if you glitch/backdoor/hack the system it'll give you infinite power over it. But these are all human institutions, and unlike Hacking The Gibson, people can just turn around and say "lol no". And this infuriates these guys because they cannot accept dealing with other people as anything other than Goombas for them to stomp on their way to getting the powerup and winning the game.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 13, 2023

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

notwithoutmyanus posted:

rear end-Star Network

Boxturret posted:

I just love how they mythologise holding, like doing nothing is this herculean effort that deserves to be rewarded with all the money in the world.

The goldbugs have always been the same way. I guess you level up once you realize that the stock market is about trading resource flows, not static wealth. And then you level up into a real capitalist once you decide it's about hoarding control of resource flows for yourself...

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

They're going to "focus on creating killer web3 use cases to drive the adoption of web3."

:lol: Literally admitting that no worthwhile use cases for the technology exist and they're just going to make some up.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Think of all the money, time, people and computing power that have been thrown at the crypto/blockchain/web3 industry trying to find a killer use case over the past 15 years. Imagine if those resources had been directed at something useful to humanity.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

RocketMermaid posted:

I have a hypothesis that a lot of these "if I game the system this way I'll be able to get whatever I want out of it!" ideas - not just meme stonks and buttcoins, but so far as Sovereign Citizens and PUAs - come from video game-type thinking, where if you glitch/backdoor/hack the system it'll give you infinite power over it. But these are all human institutions, and unlike Hacking The Gibson, people can just turn around and say "lol no". And this infuriates these guys because they cannot accept dealing with other people as anything other than Goombas for them to stomp on their way to getting the powerup and winning the game.

The number of posts you'll see in the various GME/BBBY subreddits where they brag about how hard they grind on various MMOs, a though that were something to be proud of or sign of any kind of actual skill, is mindblowing.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

They're going to "focus on creating killer web3 use cases to drive the adoption of web3."

:lol: Literally admitting that no worthwhile use cases for the technology exist and they're just going to make some up.

*while spending 700k on nothing but bluster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RocketMermaid posted:

It's pretty much this, and not helped that the Western world's 'understanding' of economics even and especially at the professional level is pretty much built around treating certain 'rules' of capitalism as immutable laws of physics. They don't understand how power actually works.