Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

IOwnCalculus posted:

If for no other reason, I'll keep shilling for Ecobee because of beestat.io.

Same. If you don't already, consider donating to the guys patreon too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a question about fans and ducting for a portable, wheeled AC unit. Wall mounting isn't allowed here, it has to be portable.

I live in a studio apartment that's above a garage. It has two windows. My large front window opens in front of my neighbor's doorway. I also have a very small window in a small bathroom.

That large window is only a few feet from a neighbor's doorway, and it's right in front of a narrow walkway. So I'd want to avoid blasting the hot air into her apartment or into the faces of people walking past my place.

Putting the AC in the bathroom doesn't let me feel the AC in the rest of the apartment. And if I want to place it out of the bathroom and past the bathroom/closet doorways I'd need to basically double the hose length to something like 20 feet.

Are there any options that'd keep me from blowing hot air into my neighbor's place or that would let me use extra long hoses for the air vents?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

get a 90* duct piece of the appropriate size so the air is directed up or down. no air in people's faces.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How do I angle it if I can't have it jutting out of the window?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

That makes a ton of sense.

Looks like they hosed up the initial cut for the vent and didn’t bother to do anything about it. The actual duct seems fine and intact.

Coming back to this. Maybe a month ago or more I noticed some water dripping from the air ducts upstairs (2 out of 4 ducts would drip). People
Mentioned there was probably a gap in the insulation causing condensation to accumulate.

I had the ac guy out for annual service and he said he didn’t see anything wrong. It was cooler with no humidity when he was out so I’m guessing he didn’t crawl back there to the duct locations.

Welp, one of the ducts dripped yesterday so I went up this morning to look.

The two vents which have dripped in the past had about one foot of no insulation near the drywall. I didn’t take a picture but the ac was a non retrofit. There was rolled insulation against the drywall in the attic and instead of cutting it to fit around the new ductwork, the installers just moved it to the side, installed the ductwork into the drywall, and left the rolled insulation rolled on top of itself.

I sprayed some expanding foam around the duct boot and fixed the rolled insulation so it actually insulates. It’s going to get hot here this week so we’ll see how effective it is.

One question: the insulation that goes around the ductwork-the bottom part of it (at least the three inches or so I could feel) was soaked. I squeezed out some of the water like a sponge but I’m not sure what to do next.

Should I try and get a 3 or 4 foot piece and replace it or will it likely dry out on its own?

It looks kinda like this. There’s nothing wrong with the duct itself, just the bottom part of insulation being wet:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-4-in-x-25-ft-Insulated-Flexible-Duct-R8-Silver-Jacket-F8IFD4X300/202562739

Located in Connecticut so we’ve got some dry weather coming after this heat wave.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Only just realized my filter rack has a pre and post filter spot, of which I have neither.

Do they help enough to justify the expense? It's otherwise a 16x25x5.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jenkl posted:

Only just realized my filter rack has a pre and post filter spot, of which I have neither.

Do they help enough to justify the expense? It's otherwise a 16x25x5.

Depends on what you have going on. If you have a lot of pet hair and are using very expensive filters maybe a cheaper prefilter will help?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Do not recommend pre, post, or more than one filter in general, except on very specific commercial applications.

Most residential systems will not be able to take additional flow resistance.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, that's a good point. I was referring to blue nothings in front. Not a real filter.

Even that probably isn't a good idea.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
At x5 depth I would be surprised if you needed anything other than that. You would need some seriously dusty pets. Ours comes out once a year looking gross as hell but I also live in wildfire land.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Great feedback thanks y'all. I don't think we have anything to warrant needing one. I'm pretty hairy but we should be ok.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Well I appear to have found the HVAC company I want to work with - suggested by my realtor no less. They did the pre-purchase inspection of the duct in the attic (via photos) and gave me straight answers. Now I had them out to quote a replacement and they have been by far the most thorough. Responsive to questions, not just spitballing unit sizing etc. Took a bunch of measurements before even being willing to discuss what I needed, etc, and yesterday when I called to get something minor changed on the bid he turned it around in 30 minutes. Then in a bit called and told me to hold off signing it because he wants to come out and re-do some return air volume calculations because he doesn't feel confident in them anymore after another job he did.

Second vendor is who I used for my current houses replacement and they were the next best, and likely would be totally fine. Third is a company that ripped off the my inlaws several times over my objections so I brought them out to waste their time. They did have transparent pricing in that he had a binder of models and their standard rates to install them. Then they wrote in the bid they would reuse the existing (OLD, BEAT, R-22) lineset. Neat.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just disassembled and cleaned all the blowers and parts of my ductless units. It was basically growing a forest in there. I noticed there's a lot of products that you put a tablet or something in the condensation tray and it keeps mildew down. Any of them worth it?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I just disassembled and cleaned all the blowers and parts of my ductless units. It was basically growing a forest in there. I noticed there's a lot of products that you put a tablet or something in the condensation tray and it keeps mildew down. Any of them worth it?

They keep the slime from growing in the drain lines, they aren't going to address stuff on the blowers/coil.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

mini splits are notorious for becoming fungus farms. various people make a kit that you hang under them to allow you to blast em with a hose.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

devicenull posted:

They keep the slime from growing in the drain lines, they aren't going to address stuff on the blowers/coil.

Makes sense, wouldn't I still want that too?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MRC48B posted:

mini splits are notorious for becoming fungus farms. various people make a kit that you hang under them to allow you to blast em with a hose.

Mine are floor units. I don't think I could do that. Isn't there a lot of electronics? How do you deal with that.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Super-NintendoUser posted:

I just started using these in a bunch of units:
https://www.amazon.com/Nu-Calgon-42...&sr=1-1-catcorr

We use these ridiculous Daikins that have a styrofoam condensate pan so I tossed one of these in a bucket of water with a piece of styrofoam to test and it seems safe. One of our guys used traditional coil cleaner that ate the drat pan and caused a bunch of problems. So far these have worked great, though.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Just bought a house, 1970s construction, finished basement, it has abandoned in slab ducts.

This morning the finished basement smelled 'wet'.
Looking around for excess moisture, it looks like the A/C condensate line is draining into the abandoned slab ducts?
This doesn't seem right.

I don't have a drain nearby, I am thinking I should go buy one of these guys and have it drain into the utility sink.

I already have a dehumidifier that is set to 50%.

Is this a sane plan? Is this a larger problem than just slapping in a condensate pump?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Don't drain condensate to the sanitary sewer system. It should be going outside.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Speaking of condensate lines, the line of my mini-split clogged and the unit started dripping water yesterday. I took my shop-vac with a very small attachment to it and sucked everything and it's fine now, but I'm wondering if there's something more I should be doing? Looking into the hose there were some kind of fatty-looking deposits, my first instinct being to call them AC boogers. The shop-vac pulled out the ones at the end that I could see, but any idea what that build up could be? Is there something I can put in the condensate tray to keep that from building up? Do I just need to take a vacuum to the hose as part of annual maintenance?

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
Ok, should be easy to run the ac condensate outside. Thanks.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Motronic posted:

Don't drain condensate to the sanitary sewer system. It should be going outside.

Why? I mean obv. don't plumb it in, but aren't they usually drained into a floor drain or utility sink?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Motronic posted:

Why? My HVAC systems drain to the bathroom vanity drains using a wye branch tailpiece. It's up to code and how most of the newer construction is done around here. The hvac condensate overflow pan drains outside, right in front of my front door so it's easy to see if there's an issue.

Draining HVAC condensate to a utility sink is specifically allowed in the IPC.

Obviously you don't want to directly connect the line to the sewer system so you don't pull sewer gasses into your hvac system, but it seems perfectly acceptable to discharge ac condensate to the sewer system

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
I was also wondering about dehumidifier condensate. At the moment it gravity drains into a floor drain. If I replace the thing I'll get one that pumps outside, but for the moment I hope to leave it alone.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Gravity draining to a floor drain or utility sink is perfectly fine. I've only seen draining to the outside done when the unit is right on an exterior wall. Just make sure it's an indirect connection and you'll be fine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slanderer posted:

Why? I mean obv. don't plumb it in, but aren't they usually drained into a floor drain or utility sink?

It's specifically disallowed by code in most places. Do not trust looking up the generic version of the IPMC 2008 or whatever your municipality is on: you have to actually look at how your municipality adopted it and what changes they made. It's typically going to be listed in the ordnance adopting it originally or perhaps the addendums for code update adoptions (yes, I know it's ridiculous) and it's a very, very common variance. Your code enforcement department should know this if you ask.

If you live somewhere that it's allowed then go for it per code. But it's one of the most commonly changed-on-adoption things from the I-codes I've ever seen.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Motronic posted:

It's specifically disallowed by code in most places. Do not trust looking up the generic version of the IPMC 2008 or whatever your municipality is on: you have to actually look at how your municipality adopted it and what changes they made. It's typically going to be listed in the ordnance adopting it originally or perhaps the addendums for code update adoptions (yes, I know it's ridiculous) and it's a very, very common variance. Your code enforcement department should know this if you ask.

If you live somewhere that it's allowed then go for it per code. But it's one of the most commonly changed-on-adoption things from the I-codes I've ever seen.

What's the rationale for disallowing it assuming it is done through a sink/drain, or other 'appropriate' method?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

ROJO posted:

What's the rationale for disallowing it assuming it is done through a sink/drain, or other 'appropriate' method?

I know that, at least in my municipality, part of what you are paying for in your water bill is the cost to treat the water on the other end. So any water that enters the sanitary sewer that didn't come out of your tap is water treatment that isn't getting paid for. For instance, I believe it is not uncommon practice in my area for unpermitted sump pumps to drain into the sanitary sewer, but this is not up to code. The sump pump example also has other consequences in times of really bad rains.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Danhenge posted:

I know that, at least in my municipality, part of what you are paying for in your water bill is the cost to treat the water on the other end. So any water that enters the sanitary sewer that didn't come out of your tap is water treatment that isn't getting paid for. For instance, I believe it is not uncommon practice in my area for unpermitted sump pumps to drain into the sanitary sewer, but this is not up to code. The sump pump example also has other consequences in times of really bad rains.

It's both this and limited sanitary sewer capacity. It also makes it difficult to predict required sanitary sewer and treatment capacity. My municipality and all those around me amend the sewer connected sumps and condensate drains out for those reasons.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

Just bought a house, 1970s construction, finished basement, it has abandoned in slab ducts.

This morning the finished basement smelled 'wet'.
Looking around for excess moisture, it looks like the A/C condensate line is draining into the abandoned slab ducts?
This doesn't seem right.

I don't have a drain nearby, I am thinking I should go buy one of these guys and have it drain into the utility sink.

I already have a dehumidifier that is set to 50%.

Is this a sane plan? Is this a larger problem than just slapping in a condensate pump?

Where's the green garden hose go? It almost looks like there's a sump pump down there?

It would not surprise me if your sub-slab ducts had water in them (speaking as someone who also has sub-slab ducts).

I would advise capping those ducts too, you aren't doing yourself any favors letting the moisture/radon up from them (they're actually kinda perfect for radon system if you need one)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Motronic posted:

i checked the code for Pittsburgh and it seems to be allowed, if there's an air gap or air break. They make a big fuss about not returning water using for cooling to the supply but they're fine with normal condensate entering the drainage system

edit: got bored and checked Chicago too and its explicitly allowed

18-28-307.2 Evaporators and cooling coils.
Condensate drain systems shall be provided for all equipment and appliances containing evaporators or cooling coils. Condensate drain systems shall be designed, constructed and installed in accordance with Sections 18-28-307.2.1 through 18-28-307.2.5.
18-28-307.2.1 Condensate disposal.
Condensate from all cooling coils or evaporators shall be conveyed by gravity, vacuum or pumped from the drain pan outlet to an approved place of disposal as follows:
1. Units larger than 6 tons (21.1 kW) nominal capacity shall discharge to a sanitary sewer drain, storm sewer drain or a French drain constructed in accordance with Section 18-28-307.2.1.1. If condensate is discharged to a sanitary sewer, such drains shall be indirectly connected in accordance with the Chapter 18-29 of the Plumbing Code.
2. Units 6 tons (21.1 kW) and smaller nominal capacity shall discharge in accordance with Item 1, or shall discharge to a gutter, roof drain or other approved location.
3. Condensate drains from rooftop units shall discharge in accordance with Item 1 or 2, or shall discharge onto rooftops constructed to prevent the condensate from discharging into a street, alley or other areas so as to cause a nuisance.
4. Condensate may be pumped or conveyed by vacuum as long as no other systems are connected to the condensate removal system.

edit 2: in philly you can discharge AC condensate into a laundy sink, but only 1 or 2 family residences can discharge it outside onto the grass

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 20, 2023

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?

devicenull posted:

Where's the green garden hose go? It almost looks like there's a sump pump down there?

It would not surprise me if your sub-slab ducts had water in them (speaking as someone who also has sub-slab ducts).

I would advise capping those ducts too, you aren't doing yourself any favors letting the moisture/radon up from them (they're actually kinda perfect for radon system if you need one)

Yeah on the disclosure they mentioned the house flooded about 3 inches in the basement. They installed a pump in the ducts, installed a second pump in the sump pit, regraded the yard, and removed the basement walkout the water came in. The whole block flooded, the city came in and provided home owners with tie ins to the municipal storm sewer for discharge of sump water. I hadn't heard of this before, at first I was concerned it was an illegal connection.

I've been wondering about capping them as a moisture source. Primarily the registers in the rooms are still there. I was thinking if I cut back the sheet metal, put some sort of blocking in, and dumping a bag of cement down it would be sufficient in the rooms.
Maybe a radon mitigation person can do all that. Only part of the house has these slab ducts, the addition has proper drain tile

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Crossposting from the Plumbing thread, I probably should have put this here in the first place :v:

I've got a radiator that I'd like to remove. The room has 2 rads and is usually too hot, also I need the space for a new couch. The radiator is the lowest one in the house (one of two in the basement). I'm planning on having a company come in and cut/cap the pipe from the main line down to the rad. The main line is near the ceiling in the basement, but still exposed. To get all this done, and to take 2/3rd the cost off the quote, I want to drain and fill the system myself. I have a Viessmann Vitodens 100 boiler (not a combi).

I've been through the installation/operating manual and I can't find a procedure to drain/refill the system, it mostly shows how to initially get the boiler system online and filled. Can I just turn off the boiler, wait until it's cold, close the fresh water inlet that feeds the system, open a valve on the bottom of the boiler, and drain all the water out? Should I open the bleed valves on all the rads in the house to help the water drain? When the work is done, to refill the system, just do everything in reverse?

https://imgur.com/a/7WyoZue

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is that a steam or hot water boiler? I know with my steam boiler it's pretty easy, when it's off, all the water condenses and drains back into the central unit where I can easily drain it, but I'm not sure how it would work if it's just hot water. I don't know if they've got water in the pipes at all times or if they end up "draining" like my steam pipes do.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

Is that a steam or hot water boiler? I know with my steam boiler it's pretty easy, when it's off, all the water condenses and drains back into the central unit where I can easily drain it, but I'm not sure how it would work if it's just hot water. I don't know if they've got water in the pipes at all times or if they end up "draining" like my steam pipes do.

It's a hot water boiler.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

epswing posted:

It's a hot water boiler.

You need to let air in from the highest point in the system or it won't drain completely / well.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yes, open up a vent at the top to let air in as you drain. You need to do the reverse when you fill. I'd go to each radiator and open the vent as you fill. Assuming you're filling from the bottom, once you get water coming out the vent, you can close it off and then move up to the next level. You should vent out air at each radiator to be sure. Once it's completely full, turn on the pumps, and I'd go back to the highest vent in your place and crack that vent open and make sure you still don't have air in your system. One of the biggest pains in filling is getting all the air out, you may have to go back a few days later and crack that high vent again as air will start migrating to the top.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

before you go through all that, be absolutely sure they didn't pipe in service isolation manual valves between the main and that radiator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

H110Hawk posted:

You need to let air in from the highest point in the system or it won't drain completely / well.

Cool, thanks.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yes, open up a vent at the top to let air in as you drain. You need to do the reverse when you fill. I'd go to each radiator and open the vent as you fill. Assuming you're filling from the bottom, once you get water coming out the vent, you can close it off and then move up to the next level. You should vent out air at each radiator to be sure. Once it's completely full, turn on the pumps, and I'd go back to the highest vent in your place and crack that vent open and make sure you still don't have air in your system. One of the biggest pains in filling is getting all the air out, you may have to go back a few days later and crack that high vent again as air will start migrating to the top.

I wrench on motorcycles and getting air out of hydraulic systems like brakes sounds like a similar type of pain.

MRC48B posted:

before you go through all that, be absolutely sure they didn't pipe in service isolation manual valves between the main and that radiator.

The main loop is exposed all the way around the house, no valves I can see, other than in the boiler room, and, curiously, on the left side of the one radiator I plan to remove. But I can't turn it in either direction at all. I thought for a minute this was a drain valve for the whole system, but it doesn't seem like it (there's no place to put a hosepipe).