Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

jabro posted:

Did you hear titanium is crucial for space exploration?

I heard it's crucial for underwater tourism :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm confused about them saying the iPhone 15 having .5x, 1x and 2x optical zoom with two lenses. Does the main lens have an actual zoom in the lens housing, or are they just cropping the main sensor for 2x?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

frogbs posted:

I'm confused about them saying the iPhone 15 having .5x, 1x and 2x optical zoom with two lenses. Does the main lens have an actual zoom in the lens housing, or are they just cropping the main sensor for 2x?

They're cropping down

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Mister Facetious posted:

They're cropping down

Ugh, can’t believe they’re calling that optical zoom, that sucks.

I think I’m in for a 15 Pro in natural titanium. Trying to decide if I should go from 256gb to 512gb, I’ve got 100gb free on my 256gb XS, but that’s with ‘offload photos to iCloud’ turned on. I generally keep phones for 4 years so it might be worth the extra $200.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The "optical zoom" in the ad copy is including switching from the ultrawide to the main lens, which is, technically, a x2 zoom.

0.5 x 2 = 1

anything after that is digital zoom.

So on the Pro, you have "10x optical zoom", because you're going from 0.5x (ultrawide), to 1x (wide/main) to 5x (telephoto)

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 13, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vegetable posted:

No one except gamers is impressed by big chip numbers

I wanted a dedicated 30 seconds talking about how the new chip means my keyboard won’t suddenly disappear or get stuck in landscape mode while the rest of the image goes to portrait.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Weedle posted:

ios 16's crash detection started overloading 911 call centers with false positives as soon as it came out

They were crashing it wrong.

Not Apple's first attempt to DDOS 911. https://www.cbsnews.com/sacramento/news/apple-elk-grove-911-accidental/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

~Coxy posted:

What's the chance of getting a USB-C EarPods announced tomorrow.

They did it!

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

They should’ve refreshed the AirPods max instead

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I hope the short press of the action button defaults to calling 911

Short Press: Call 911
Long Press: Initiate Emergency Satellite Call
Double Tap: Wipe iPhone

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Bleh, having a hard time deciding if always on display & higher refresh rate is worth all that extra money over the 15 plus.

I'm already used to the higher refresh and always on display from my Pixel 7 Pro, so I'll probably wind up spending the extra cheddar.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Bleh, having a hard time deciding if always on display & higher refresh rate is worth all that extra money over the 15 plus.

I'm already used to the higher refresh and always on display from my Pixel 7 Pro, so I'll probably wind up spending the extra cheddar.

AOD is whatever imo (since I have the Apple Watch anyways) but the ProMotion is a nice thing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any demonstration on what toggling silent mode would be like if you change the action button to some other function?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Is there any demonstration on what toggling silent mode would be like if you change the action button to some other function?

You have to long press the button to do any of the other action button features.

Here's a vid on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIG4zkOW06A&t=73s

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The could have easily swung a 90hz screen on the iphone 15.

e: also I hope they don't get rid of the switch on the 16.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 13, 2023

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Skeezy posted:

AOD is whatever imo (since I have the Apple Watch anyways) but the ProMotion is a nice thing.

Ah, drat I didn't even think about the watch aspect taking care of that. Interesting...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
Stray observation that I am sure other people have made but no white iPhone 15 seems like they are really using "fashion" to force people into the Pro. Black is very severe, white was kind of the neutral, all the colors on the 15 just seem, I dunno, kind of immature?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

No gold 15 Pro is a disaster. If I had to pick I'd probably go with the natural titanium.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Virtue posted:

They should’ve refreshed the AirPods max instead

Agreed. They must have too much stock of the original.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Stray observation that I am sure other people have made but no white iPhone 15 seems like they are really using "fashion" to force people into the Pro. Black is very severe, white was kind of the neutral, all the colors on the 15 just seem, I dunno, kind of immature?

They saw the complaints about having to buy a 14 Amateur to get a strong colourway and they answered them the opposite way everybody thought.

(I'm kinda salty that Titanium on the Pro models going forward means we'll presumably not get any every again.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I can't believe the Pro doesn't come with a USB 3 capable C-C cable.
What an unbelievably miserly decision.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I wish I had an Always On Display for Nightstand Mode in iOS 17.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 13, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hmmm, only $650 trade in for my iPhone 14 pro max? No thanks.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FlapYoJacks posted:

Hmmm, only $650 trade in for my iPhone 14 pro max? No thanks.

Yeah for that incentive I think I'll keep mine, I rather like it :o:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The t-mobile trade in values are so much better than ATT :argh:

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
How does the iPhone to iPhone direct transfer work? It'll be my first time to use it, I have a lot of downloaded podcasts and videos and poo poo that aren't backed up to iCloud but I would want to bring with me, would those automatically transfer over to the point where the phone will be 100% identical when I start to use it?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The t-mobile trade in values are so much better than ATT :argh:

:smuggo:

But honestly yeah that does suck. If I'm reading correctly trading in my 13 pro 256gb model for a 15 pro 256 model will end up costing me just over $100 spread over 24 months. I was not planning on changing carriers anyway so it's worth it for me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Original_Z posted:

How does the iPhone to iPhone direct transfer work? It'll be my first time to use it, I have a lot of downloaded podcasts and videos and poo poo that aren't backed up to iCloud but I would want to bring with me, would those automatically transfer over to the point where the phone will be 100% identical when I start to use it?

Yep, it’s magic.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

:smuggo:

But honestly yeah that does suck. If I'm reading correctly trading in my 13 pro 256gb model for a 15 pro 256 model will end up costing me just over $100 spread over 24 months. I was not planning on changing carriers anyway so it's worth it for me.

Yeah, the ATT values are less, and you’re on a 3-year cycle instead of 2. It’s a shame I only get a discount through work on ATT.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t get all the reviewers saying the titanium phone is lighter. It’s 6.6oz compared to my 7.2oz 13 Pro. I don’t think you could really feel that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Can't wait to accidentally fling my titanium phone into the ceiling like a Wii Remote when I try to pick it up off the desk.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I don’t get all the reviewers saying the titanium phone is lighter. It’s 6.6oz compared to my 7.2oz 13 Pro. I don’t think you could really feel that.

6.6oz is lighter OP.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Nothing that really makes me care about the 15, though I wish there was some kind of embeddable usb-c adapter I could glue into my 14 pro.

I have destroyed my native union 14 pro case inside 6 months, can anyone recommend an alternative to the apple leather case for the 14 pro, or should I just settle for that?

Wish I could find a decent canvas backed case ideally, but otherwise leather >> tpu.

Three Olives posted:

Near 100% of people use a case, it’s irrelevant. At the low end, if they made any colour $50 cheaper it’d sell out first.

They use every possible tactic to upsell people on every product they’ve ever made, nothing new. They made a black MacBook for $200 extra.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I don't care about the refresh rate but I was at least hoping for an always on display. I'm sure they have some argument for how you need a 1hz refresh rate to make that efficient. Or at least give us an always on display when it's in nightstand mode. Also I don't like any of those new 15 colours at all. I feel like they've made a real effort to make it actually look cheaper than the pro models this time around.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Do any of you guys rock screen protectors any more? My job can get decently physical and while I haven't used a screen protector in quite some time, I've noticed my last two phones (most recent 12 Pro Max) has hundreds of microscratches all over the screen.

Not me. I think they look like rear end, and the newer phones have good screens. I don't keep my phone in the same pocket as my keys and I am fine. Sometimes you see the odd micro scratch if the phone is in direct sunlight but otherwise it's fine.

Virtue posted:

Anyone else find the focus on gaming a little weird? Are they actually pushing that or is it just the only thing they could think of to market the faster chip?

The reason they focused on gaming is the same reason that Apple is the world's richest company. It's the 30% cut it makes from all app sales and IAP, and gaming is a huge if not the biggest chunk of that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

the 6.7" 15 pro max is officially only 1mm wider than my 6.1" 11 wtf

The 6.1" 15 and 15 pro are four and five millimetres narrower, respectively.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

the 6.7" 15 pro max is officially only 1mm wider than my 6.1" 11 wtf

The 6.1" 15 and 15 pro are four and five millimetres narrower, respectively.

This all sounds like good things

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm looking at upgrading my iphone 11 pro on AT&T. It looks like this iphone upgrade program is a solid deal, although the credit gets paid out over 3 years. That's fine, but it sounds like att won't unlock your phone for those 3 years, correct? So if you're traveling internationally you're stuck using ATT?

Presumably if you take Apples lower credit you don't have that issue?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

I'm looking at upgrading my iphone 11 pro on AT&T. It looks like this iphone upgrade program is a solid deal, although the credit gets paid out over 3 years. That's fine, but it sounds like att won't unlock your phone for those 3 years, correct? So if you're traveling internationally you're stuck using ATT?

Presumably if you take Apples lower credit you don't have that issue?

ATT absolutely locks their phones until they are paid off. Now, whether they will do an international unlock while the phone is on payment plan, not sure. You can call and ask them, although obviously YMMV.

If you finance through Apple directly, then yes the phone is unlocked.

For 13 Mini fans , Ars wrote a short rip for the Mini phones.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/09/the-iphone-13-mini-is-dead-leaving-small-phone-lovers-in-a-lurch/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I noticed it a few days ago of the beta and still on the release candidate that came out yesterday but can anyone else on iOS17 check: is message history search completely utterly borked? It’s something I used frequently and now it doesn’t work at all. It’s not the end of the world since it’s getting me to copy what I searched (mostly recipes I’ve been too lazy to move to Paprika) but it’s wild just how bad it is now. The results aren’t even consistent.

EDIT: huh turns out only my iphone is having this issue. my iPad (also on iOS 17 already) still has functioning search on Messages.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the experience like going from Android to iPhone, especially porting over photos w/ metadata intact.