Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

StormDrain posted:

I was in line behind some children struggling to get a cup full, one holding the cup and the other pushing. And I walked up with all the confidence of a fully grown adult to fill it up with a little crown with one solid push and I shot the cup right out of my hand and made a mess.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

You Are A Elf posted:

I just checked and:

Imagine being the largest retailer in the US with thousands of locations across the map for decades and being reduced to 11 stores in 2023 instead of just… going out of business for good.

Their partner Kmart isn’t any better:

Just… why?

Fun fact, Kmart absolutely dominates the retail market in Guam. They have this gigantic superstore that is THE place to get anything and is packed all the time.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cerekk posted:

Fun fact, Kmart absolutely dominates the retail market in Guam. They have this gigantic superstore that is THE place to get anything and is packed all the time.

I bet it's related to the Australian version.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Triikan posted:

Hotel cards are rarely worth holding past the first year, unless you're staying at that chain for several weeks a year. Even then, I'd recommend opening a new card each year for the bonus and just churning through the chains. That being said, I do hold a couple of hotel cards for the free anniversary nights, which I've been able to get decent value out of.

They made it impossible to combine enough points with the free night points to get a free night at a hotel in Manhattan on a weekend. Celebrating my anniversary loving Sunday to Monday then cutting this poo poo up and cancelling it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i heard a public radio bit about the "reverse" supply chain, and i think the journo said while abuse happens. normal people/buyers have a general sense of fairness or are just lazy and dont exercise decent return policies. and even min maxing abusers often have a net profit with BRAND/COMPANY

apparently the much greater cost is the carbon cost of transportation and probably just throwing away of stuff.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Shithouse Dave posted:

Not that I’ve ever heard someone playing good music on their phone speaker in public, but even great tunes I really like sound lovely through phone speakers

It’s always some slurry auto tuned poo poo though. Many, many genres, always horrendous autotune.

Somehow I rarely hear anyone blasting aggressive music anymore. It’s poppy love songs and stuff like that.

Somehow I find it even more irritating like they don’t have the proper rear end in a top hat credentials to idle their Harley outside my window at 2am.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You Are A Elf posted:

I just checked and:

Imagine being the largest retailer in the US with thousands of locations across the map for decades and being reduced to 11 stores in 2023 instead of just… going out of business for good.

Their partner Kmart isn’t any better:

Just… why?

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/sears-toys-r-us-hedge-funds-bankruptcy-retail-workers/

Looks like they got busted out by VC vampire squids

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Yeah, Lampert sucked every ounce of blood from both companies until they were husks while doing absolutely NOTHING to help any of the stores. I remember walking into Sears in like 2015 and it looked exactly like it did when I was a kid in the ‘80s, right down to the same carpeting (now stained and worn), fixtures (now rusty and gross), and tile walkways (now chipped with discolored grout).

It was like being in a zombie movie where society had long since collapsed and the few living people left scavenged for supplies in dilapidated department stores that hadn’t had a living customer or employee in them in years.

Only it was Sears and they were still open lol.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

PhazonLink posted:

i heard a public radio bit about the "reverse" supply chain, and i think the journo said while abuse happens. normal people/buyers have a general sense of fairness or are just lazy and dont exercise decent return policies. and even min maxing abusers often have a net profit with BRAND/COMPANY

apparently the much greater cost is the carbon cost of transportation and probably just throwing away of stuff.

Yeh the extra business they get from the perception of plused up customer service usually outweighs the losses, so returns policies like LL Bean are a loss leader and tbh I'm not sure I believe the idea that suddenly abuse of the policy spiked and it got taken away bc 'people can't have nice things'.

Bc yeah, you can't resell it so it's just waste to dispose of, and that does have a concrete cost that begins to pile up. Over time that could very well get less and less sustainable.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Like, the older I get, the less inclined I am to blame the petty whims of fellow consumers (and fellow workers) for being what tanks a working system, when it's the usually petty whims of executives at these corps causing the issue.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Unity, lol

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Jawnycat posted:

Unity, lol

Was coming to post this, charging developers per install of their game. Reinstalls count. I wonder how long they stick with it before reversing course because literally everyone is all over them for it.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

kdrudy posted:

Was coming to post this, charging developers per install of their game. Reinstalls count. I wonder how long they stick with it before reversing course because literally everyone is all over them for it.

That is so insanely stupid. How could they not see install bombing as a malicious thing angry gamers will do if a unity-based game asks them for their pronouns or something?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

bossy lady posted:

That is so insanely stupid. How could they not see install bombing as a malicious thing angry gamers will do if a unity-based game asks them for their pronouns or something?

They get to charge the devs even more if that happens. No problems detected.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Are they trying to lose developers? Because this is how you convince new game makers to choose another engine.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

tbh I'm not sure I believe the idea that suddenly abuse of the policy spiked and it got taken away bc 'people can't have nice things'.

Social media and the increased speed of information sharing have definitely created an environment that makes it easier for a few abusers to rapidly turn into lots and lots of abusers

Like when the $1 coin was introduced, the mint would sell you coins at actual value with no shipping fee and no credit card fee. A handful of people turned it into a money printing machine using credit card points, but not that many, and it lasted a couple years before being shut down. If that happened now, it would get posted on /r/churning 5 minutes after it went live and have 100,000 people buying coins on their Amex on the same day.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

anonumos posted:

Are they trying to lose developers? Because this is how you convince new game makers to choose another engine.

I'm constantly in awe of businesses being willing to burn the whole thing down just for the sake of one more quarterly earnings report.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
One of my favorites in that vein was yahoo and tumblr

quote:

By 2010, it was racking up users and nearing a $1 billion valuation, the price Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer would pay for it in 2013. She promised “not to screw it up,” but things did not go well and after passing from Yahoo to Verizon, Tumblr was sold to the owner of Wordpress for $3 million in 2019

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Tenkaris posted:

One of my favorites in that vein was yahoo and tumblr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uIrAN4JneY

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Made it 25 seconds, now I'm ready to end it :thunkgun:

ChthonicMasturbatr
Sep 29, 2021

born on a mountain
live in a cave
hugging and tugging
is all that i crave

the human equivalent of dialup modem noise, but threatening beneath the superficial goofiness

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Sears died because the VC vampires who bought it decided to do a lovely Jack Welsh impersonation and made every department compete against each other. So there was a very big incentive for an associate working in bedding to ring up your tire sale.

Thats also why, at the end, there were some departments that still looked sorta OK, and some departments were just sheets hung from the ceiling.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those take over firms literally take out corporate debt to buy the company (the company that is being bought takes out debt for the firm to buy it ) and then they take out corporate debt to pay themselves dividends

It’s incredible stupid and should be illegal

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

Sears died because the VC vampires who bought it decided to do a lovely Jack Welsh impersonation and made every department compete against each other. So there was a very big incentive for an associate working in bedding to ring up your tire sale.

Thats also why, at the end, there were some departments that still looked sorta OK, and some departments were just sheets hung from the ceiling.

You win or you die in the game of VC bullshit.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

gently caress private equity firms forever. The company that gutted Toys R Us just bought Simon & Schuster(sp) publishing

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tenkaris posted:

gently caress private equity firms forever. The company that gutted Toys R Us just bought Simon & Schuster(sp) publishing

They exist to kill things for the last bit of profit.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Mina Kimes did a great write up back in 2013 on how Eddie Lampert was destroying Sears.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-11/at-sears-eddie-lamperts-warring-divisions-model-adds-to-the-troubles#xj4y7vzkg

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

You Are A Elf posted:

Just saw on the news McDonald’s is gonna phase out the self-serve soda fountains for “hygiene concerns” and staff will fill customers’s cups for them.

Lol it’s because people request a cup for water and then blatantly get 30 free refills of Coke with it and don’t try to hide it.
First off, no it isn't. It's greed. Secondly, soda is like 3 cents a gallon for them to produce. It doesn't affect me because I don't eat at McDonald's, but they can gargle my ballsack for this poo poo.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I like keeping my social media presence to IG, it works for my degenerate millennial lifestyle.

But I’m starting to think every time I explicitly express to the algorithm “I do not like thing, do not show it or similar things to me” I somehow seem to get more of thing I do not like.

When that thing is insane diet woo woo for reasons that remain between me and my medical records, I don’t know, seems like something is broken!

I genuinely don’t envy the youth when it comes to social media. I think it’s almost harder to escape and far more insidious. There is a lot of good for underrepresented groups, myself included, but the rot is growing more unavoidable.

I’d love to have a space to keep in contact with my friends and loved ones, most of whom are zillion miles away, but can we do it in a way where it doesn’t gently caress with peoples minds???

teen witch fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 13, 2023

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

redshirt posted:

I bet it's related to the Australian version.

I have never seen an Australian version of Kmart packed except for the few days before / after Xmas and at both times it's severely understocked.
There are other choices in Oz (Target, Big W), I do not know how they maintain a massive floorspace like they do with hardly anyone in them 99% of the time. Hell I only go there for snacks and sodastream supplies because I know the checkouts are deserted.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
When I visited Sydney, Kmart was well lit and stocked, Target was the one that looked like it was was recently bombed. Total inverse of the States.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Kmart Australia is going pretty strong recently seeing as Target is dying. People love that house brand Anko stuff.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
it used to be that when our mail carrier went on vacation we just got another usual carrier for the duration, but this week it is "your carrier is on vacation, delivery will be sporadic".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phones.

They're all just poo poo. Crap battery life, no 3,5mm jack, gigantic screens.

And you either have to deal with horrible customizations on top of already imperfect Android or pay the Apple tax with all the associated drawbacks.

There are no good phones.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

KozmoNaut posted:

And you either have to deal with horrible customizations on top of already imperfect Android or pay the Apple tax with all the associated drawbacks.

Get a Pixel. I mean...still no 3.5mm jack (boo hoo, it comes with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, stop whining) but it's pure Android, no UI skinning/un-installable vendor/3rd party apps like a Samsung or any phone from Verizon or whatever.

https://stackdiary.com/critical-vulnerability-in-webp-codec-cve-2023-4863/

quote:

Critical WebP bug: many apps, not just browsers, under threat
The heap buffer overflow (CVE-2023-4863) vulnerability in the WebP Codec is being actively exploited in the wild.

Adding more reasons to hate WebP!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Get a Pixel. I mean...still no 3.5mm jack (boo hoo, it comes with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, stop whining) but it's pure Android, no UI skinning/un-installable vendor/3rd party apps like a Samsung or any phone from Verizon or whatever.
I just got a Pixel 7 and it did not come with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, but even if it did, really the only time I want the 3.5mm is for road trips, and if I'm on a road trip, I need the USB-C for power.

Not saying there aren't other solutions, but it's still inconvenient.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

You Are A Elf posted:

Yeah, Lampert sucked every ounce of blood from both companies until they were husks while doing absolutely NOTHING to help any of the stores. I remember walking into Sears in like 2015 and it looked exactly like it did when I was a kid in the ‘80s, right down to the same carpeting (now stained and worn), fixtures (now rusty and gross), and tile walkways (now chipped with discolored grout).

It was like being in a zombie movie where society had long since collapsed and the few living people left scavenged for supplies in dilapidated department stores that hadn’t had a living customer or employee in them in years.

Only it was Sears and they were still open lol.

I was in a Sears in an upscale Santa Barbara outdoor mall during Christmastime in 2015 to get a white elephant gift for work.

It was very dimly lit inside, like, I had to use my phone flashlight to see their merch :psyduck:. They were open, but in this weird state of living death where they won't even keep the lights on.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm looking for a new car for the first time in a long time. Went to a local Ford dealership's website and lmao. It's like one of those shifty file sharing sites where you've got to guess which download button is the real download button. Animated poo poo won't stop popping up. Chat windows pop up in the corner of every page. Something somewhere is audibly beeping.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

DrBouvenstein posted:

For the record I have a Pixel... 2, I think? I don't know how old it is, it's positively ancient as far as modern phone standards go, and I'm extremely happy with it. Unless I hear (from this thread, probably, lol) that the newer ones are poo poo I'll probably be getting another one when this one eventually craps out. Pretty sure it came with the adapter, wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't anymore because most people probably don't need it anymore, but they're cheap as hell at Best Buy and probably every store that sells phone crap. I refuse to get on wireless headphones. One more stupid thing to lose its charge, then lose its ability to keep a charge so you have to get new ones, but more importantly I would absolutely lose an earbud loving immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Diet Poison posted:

For the record I have a Pixel... 2, I think? I don't know how old it is, it's positively ancient as far as modern phone standards go, and I'm extremely happy with it. Unless I hear (from this thread, probably, lol) that the newer ones are poo poo I'll probably be getting another one when this one eventually craps out. Pretty sure it came with the adapter, wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't anymore because most people probably don't need it anymore, but they're cheap as hell at Best Buy and probably every store that sells phone crap. I refuse to get on wireless headphones. One more stupid thing to lose its charge, then lose its ability to keep a charge so you have to get new ones, but more importantly I would absolutely lose an earbud loving immediately.

They kinda suck now, but still better than most other phones.