Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1701256803206438989?s=20

About time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Flashlight squads in ruins, Killers it is time to rise

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

Looks like anyone who had one equipped already can still have them from what I'm seeing. Grr.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Finally, the Lightborn crew has won.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Medullah posted:

Looks like anyone who had one equipped already can still have them from what I'm seeing. Grr.

I'm running Franklin's tonight and will finally be able to terrorize survivors again.

E. So many people in that thread going "flashlight is the only fun I have in DBD" maybe you should try a different game?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 11, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Before flashlights were killswitched, I discovered something loving hysterical about that exploit.

I was playing survivor and a Mikaela demonstrated the exploit for me by shining her flashlight and clipping into a locker. I shook my head very aggressively at her like "no, stop that". The killer happened to come down, noticed me shaking my head at the locker, and paused. I pointed at it. He opened the locker, saw Mikaela standing there inside (but impervious to attack or being pulled out due to the exploit), looked at me, then nodded like "ah, yeah".

Then, I tried getting in the locker myself - the normal way, not the exploit way.

Friends, my survivor hitbox collided with Mikaela's and SHOVED HER rear end CLEAN OUT OF THE LOCKER. Straight up displaced her out of it. I laughed so hard watching her run off with the killer on her tail. :allears:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

Before flashlights were killswitched, I discovered something loving hysterical about that exploit.

I was playing survivor and a Mikaela demonstrated the exploit for me by shining her flashlight and clipping into a locker. I shook my head very aggressively at her like "no, stop that". The killer happened to come down, noticed me shaking my head at the locker, and paused. I pointed at it. He opened the locker, saw Mikaela standing there inside (but impervious to attack or being pulled out due to the exploit), looked at me, then nodded like "ah, yeah".

Then, I tried getting in the locker myself - the normal way, not the exploit way.

Friends, my survivor hitbox collided with Mikaela's and SHOVED HER rear end CLEAN OUT OF THE LOCKER. Straight up displaced her out of it. I laughed so hard watching her run off with the killer on her tail. :allears:

Absolutely incredible. You love to see it. :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Just going into the locker like

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Reminds me of the old Assassin’s Creed multiplayer with the reverse Turing test. I ducked into a bush to avoid my pursuer, and pushed someone out in the process. Then realised the person I pushed out was actually my target. So my character jumped into the bush, shoved someone out, then immediately popped up again to stab them in the back and drag them back into the bush.

What happened to that genre? Was it found to be completely broken? I’m surprised nobody ran with it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also Metal Gear Online, which I found fascinating because cardboard boxes really did trick live humans. You could hide in one and people would happily run by, no one was going to stop to check a random box when there were snipers about

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
MGO2 my beloved :negative: it counts as thread relevant because the game mode where it's normal death match but one person plays as Snake is asymmetrical

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

hyphz posted:

Reminds me of the old Assassin’s Creed multiplayer with the reverse Turing test. I ducked into a bush to avoid my pursuer, and pushed someone out in the process. Then realised the person I pushed out was actually my target. So my character jumped into the bush, shoved someone out, then immediately popped up again to stab them in the back and drag them back into the bush.

What happened to that genre? Was it found to be completely broken? I’m surprised nobody ran with it.

AAA games stopped investing in multiplayer that way, but we're at a point where smaller studios are putting out games like Deceive Inc to fill the niche.

EDIT: I completely forgot what thread I'm in. hyphz can post in forums besides TG, including threads where I really don't need to relink Deceive Inc because it's already linked in the extended OP. (Also, Cryptid's post has a better explanation.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 12, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

hyphz posted:

I regret to inform you that it turned into Among Us.

There's a lot of hidden identity games out there but most don't get off the ground very much, although some like Dread Hunger chug along okay because for some reason China adores those kind of games. I've been playing Decieve Inc off the humble bundle and it's not bad but it also lends itself to the disguises being a question of who gets a drop on who, and then from there it's bunny hopping.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

hyphz posted:

AC multiplayer had some of the funniest stuff I've seen in regards to the kind of bumbling and gigabrain poo poo you could do to people in it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

CuddleCryptid posted:

That sucks, because the best bit of AC in those terms was that every player was a “traitor” every game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Regrettably in AC MPs particular case, people found out that sprinting madly from target to target and assassinating them as openly as possible would always outstrip the bonuses for stealth kills, not getting caught and all that. That was the case for all three games with MP and while the final one did actually kind of try to start changing that design, the next game was Unity so the competitive Hitman MP was just dropped.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean, thumbs up to the Among Us devs for figuring out how to turn the Mafia/Werewolf/Secret Hitler/Room 25/The Resistance/whatever formula into an easily accessible video game and how to make bank with it.

It's kinda wild that I can walk past the toy store at the mall in my city in Finland and see loving Among Us toys in the window, and last year when I participated in a "buy christmas presents for the children of less well off families" charity thing, A LOT of the requests from surprisingly young kids were Among Us toys and stuff. Like 4-5 year old kids.

And FNAF.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Orv posted:

Regrettably in AC MPs particular case, people found out that sprinting madly from target to target and assassinating them as openly as possible would always outstrip the bonuses for stealth kills, not getting caught and all that. That was the case for all three games with MP and while the final one did actually kind of try to start changing that design, the next game was Unity so the competitive Hitman MP was just dropped.

I've actually put a decent amount of hours into Deceive Inc. and it has some similar problems. It's definitely the closest thing to the "pretend to be an NPC" thing you're all describing (I've never seen the original AC multiplayer so I just assume), aside from Spy Party, which is a more intimate one-on-one experience (and extremely funny).

I want to preface all of this by saying Deceive Inc loving rules, it's really fun and if you think you'd enjoy it at all you should really try it and I'm not just saying that because the game desperately needs a larger playerbase. It's not asymmetrical, but it got popular with some DBD streamers so it has some overlap in community (don't worry, not in the "toxic dicks" way, just the "you'll occasionally see a username like 'Hex: Simp' in lobbies" way). It has really cool design ideas, amazing and memorable characters, a largely-friendly community, one of the best microtransaction systems I've ever seen (cosmetic-only battlepass that never goes away, you can ALWAYS go back and get items from previous seasons with zero FOMO - and ALL of the characters can be bought with extremely trivial amounts of freemoney), and a robust dev team that is constantly working to fix current complaints.

For example, they came out with a nerf to an item that was overperforming compared to other items. The community immediately was upset because it wasn't that it was too strong, but the other items were kind of weak - and it was also an item that allows you to stealth better, so it was popular with players who love the stealth elements, people who are underconfident in their gunplay, and, especially, newbies. They reverted it within 24 hours and said "sorry about that guys, we didn't understand how much certain subsets of players relied on this item, so instead we'll work to make the other items better so they're more popular and equally powerful choices!". And... it was a good decision.

They also didn't nerf a character who was notably oppressive during a round of nerfs/buffs for other characters, and there was a player outcry. Within 24 hours they posted a thorough, common-sense explanation saying "this character was weak as gently caress for a while so we were hesitant to nerf her again so soon after her buff, for fear she'd become useless. But clearly there is an immediate need to do something, so we're going to make some minor changes to address the biggest pain points people are mentioning". And it was a good loving decision!

The dev team, despite being much smaller, is consistently communicative, kind, and reasonable in a way that makes DBD's dev team look like loving clowns. (These were legitimate problems, by the way, they weren't like capitulating to whiny gamers.)

Now, onto the problems.

IMO the primary problem right now is that the playerbase is small enough that matchmaking, while present, doesn't work well. You regularly get games where level 1s are put in with level 400s, and the level 400s are typically people who are good enough at shooters exploiting characters with high enough damage (e.g. a sniper) to just delete you as soon as they figure out you're there by clicking your head a couple times. They will avoid stealth and bunnyhop through the level on purpose because they want people to try and engage them so they can turn around and delete them. You have a lot of people, streamers especially, treating it like a comp shooter.

So, if you're someone who isn't a comp shooter addict and came here for, you know, the stealth gameplay, it can be loving frustrating dying to one of these types in 2 seconds after 5 minutes of stealthing around, and then spectating other players in the lobby trying to take the game seriously like yourself, knowing they are all also going to get deleted by this person completely ignoring half of the game's mechanics so they can add another notch to their 300 win streak for their 2 viewers on Twitch. And unfortunately, you will run into them. Frequently.

I don't know if it's content creator brain or DBD brain or what, but there are definitely people seeking to exploit the mechanics as well as they can to completely kill what makes the game unique, which is really disheartening because I'm sure it's been the cause of a lot of normal players losing interest. I don't really know what possesses the non-content creators to put 1000 hours into completely sucking the joy out of a cool game for the sake of Ws until it dies, but they exist too.

BUT, if you can get a lobby of players who AREN'T like that (or the level 400(s) get their heads taken off somehow, which does happen), the game is loving incredible and has some really inimitable moments and silliness. For example, there is an item that lets you turn into a prop, so you can do things like run away from someone and turn into a potted plant and hope they don't notice! Yes, it has a built-in Prop Hunt feature that you can just use to your heart's content!

And, like I said, the devs are actively trying to rebalance the game. The NPCs have SUPER convincing player-like behaviors sometimes, so it's harder than ever to pick people out of stealth. They're constantly rebalancing characters and core mechanics, as aforementioned. They've made it increasingly punishing to ignore the game's stealth elements. Et cetera. There's also timers on EVERYTHING so players can't drag the game out forever. I have faith that on a long enough timeline they'll come up with even more poo poo to punish these shenanigans and maybe tighten up the matchmaking, and they have given me zero reason to believe they won't.

If the game can just get a good enough playerbase to quarantine the sweatlords with each other until they eventually lose interest and quit (because they can't bully babies they have no right being against for internet points anymore), then it's honestly got one of the best dev teams I've ever seen. Great music, great gameplay, great visual design, great communication, great responsive balancing.

I really, really don't want it to die.

So add it to your wishlist and buy it, or simply try it next time it's free weekend. It's also in the humble choice right now!!!! :colbert:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/820520/Deceive_Inc/
https://www.humblebundle.com/membership/home

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 13, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

If anyone is interested in Deceive Inc, it is in this month's Humble Monthly Bundle so you can get it and some other games for 12€ (Deceive Inc. is 18€ normally):

https://www.humblebundle.com/membership

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah the trick with AC multiplayer was that every NPC on the map had one of the skins of the player characters in the match. So you’d get big bonuses for blending with crowds, assassinations from benches, all that kinda stuff. The Ship, another favorite of mine, had sort of a similar problem where people quickly figured out that subtextterfuge was for cowards and finding the first fire axe you could and chucking it across the room from out of sight of the guards was the right play.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I mean, thumbs up to the Among Us devs for figuring out how to turn the Mafia/Werewolf/Secret Hitler/Room 25/The Resistance/whatever formula into an easily accessible video game and how to make bank with it.

It's kinda wild that I can walk past the toy store at the mall in my city in Finland and see loving Among Us toys in the window, and last year when I participated in a "buy christmas presents for the children of less well off families" charity thing, A LOT of the requests from surprisingly young kids were Among Us toys and stuff. Like 4-5 year old kids.

And FNAF.

I had a 13 year old girl inform me that her favorite movie was FNAF, despite the fact that it's not out and she hasn't seen it yet (which she realizes). She was confident in her prediction.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is Decieve Inc an asymmetrical game? I was kind of leaving it out of the thread because it's not really but while we're on the subject, yeah it's pretty good. It has a lot of problems when disguises break and shooting starts since then it's just any other shooter, but the disguise mechanics allow for some pretty interesting moments. Also the spies themselves are all bought with in-game currency so that is great.

For example, I walked into a guard room as a guard and found one the guards standing on top of a table. Glitch? So I used a spy's ability to check for enemies and it tagged them, then I was able to kill them. But from their perspective a guard walked in and stood still for a while (since your covers directional facing is dependent on movement while you can look around freely) and they just tensely waited to see if he would open fire after he got caught in an unusual position.

Imo the game would be better if it was closer to The Ship where if you figure out your target then you are almost guaranteed to kill them with most weapons since it's all high damage. But it's not too bad.

I think it helps that while chasing down terminals gets you a high quality buff it also only buffs you so far. The insertion phase is something of a soft team effort, and if you wanted to you could just mill around until the doors open. That way high level players aren't just rushing perfect paths and locking lower level players out of the later phases.

For people who have played a lot, is there a good way to maintain a walking path while also looking around? Having "cruise control" of a sort is what I would like but it seems like just stopping occasionally to scope around with the binoculars is the best way, since making a swerving path is a dead giveaway.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

And FNAF.

I don't really have a problem with Among Us in general, it just kind of killed off the Hunter vs hunter style game that AC mp or The Ship represented. I get why the shift happened, Among Us is a far more social game, but at least on a personal level I can't really wrangle 8 people together to play it lol.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 13, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Danknificent posted:

I had a 13 year old girl inform me that her favorite movie was FNAF, despite the fact that it's not out and she hasn't seen it yet (which she realizes). She was confident in her prediction.

Does FNAF's creator still get a cut of stuff or is it like Notch and Minecraft?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Orv posted:

But if your target was stealthing, how did you know which one they were? Or did it become prisoner’s dilemma?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Does FNAF's creator still get a cut of stuff or is it like Notch and Minecraft?

He'll likely get residuals forever but the games are all being put out by separate studios now.

Cawthon was a dipshit right winger but his sins weren't Notch level.

hyphz posted:

But if your target was stealthing, how did you know which one they were? Or did it become prisoner’s dilemma?

You would identify them the old fashioned way of seeing who was acting strangely, it was more that once you saw them the "right" was was to use the terrain and crowds to sneak in and stab them. But that's slow so instead you can just sprint right up in their face and still instakill them.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

CuddleCryptid posted:

You would identify them the old fashioned way of seeing who was acting strangely, it was more that once you saw them the "right" was was to use the terrain and crowds to sneak in and stab them. But that's slow so instead you can just sprint right up in their face and still instakill them.

Ah yes, the conga lines, now I remember :)

Orv
May 4, 2011

hyphz posted:

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah, it was visual or ‘social’ deduction because even the stealthiest player still has to make animations happen that will give them away if they’re trying to win.

Other important pieces of the puzzle included that the number of people targeting you went up with your leaderboard placement, everyone had cooldowns for changing both their own and NPC appearances either briefly or permanently and that the maps were, especially for the time, absolutely packed with NPCs.

They tended to be around the size of CoD maps, though in third person but with tons of NPCs, some constantly circulating in groups, some groups standing still, a few individuals of both types. Once the scoring was figured out you were only ever at a disadvantage by trying to play stealthily as the full speed players got really good at spotting the people not acting like NPCs and your only option became to play the mode that way or call it a day.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1701966540164182325?s=20

This should make Xeno a bit less oppressive with the tail attack.

Don't see anything mentioning the locker exploit though, which apparently can still happen in some circumstances even without a flashlight.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

They fixing the basement hooks archive?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is Decieve Inc an asymmetrical game? I was kind of leaving it out of the thread because it's not really but while we're on the subject, yeah it's pretty good. It has a lot of problems when disguises break and shooting starts since then it's just any other shooter, but the disguise mechanics allow for some pretty interesting moments. Also the spies themselves are all bought with in-game currency so that is great.
It's not an asym but like I mentioned in my post, it's attracted a lot of DBD streamers and thus DBD players as a result, and has some overlap with the fanbase. Honorary asym :v:

CuddleCryptid posted:

For people who have played a lot, is there a good way to maintain a walking path while also looking around? Having "cruise control" of a sort is what I would like but it seems like just stopping occasionally to scope around with the binoculars is the best way, since making a swerving path is a dead giveaway.

It's important to note that you can keep hacking something with the binoculars without looking directly at it. Like if you're walking forward with the binoculars up and you have some intel in the distance on your left, it'll pop up offering it to hack. Hold M1 to start hacking and just keep walking forward and as long as it doesn't take a million years you should finish hacking it even if it goes offscreen because you walk past it. It's a good way to keep hacking while maintaining a path. I also strafe sometimes since your disguise only looks in the direction you're moving, so I'll pause for a few seconds, make sure the path in front of me is clear, then start crabwalking if I want to look to my left or right :v:

Otherwise yeah, stopping in the middle of your walk to scope out intel is the best way if you want to be stealthy, which is why NPCs do it so much. You can also take the risk of 'well, probably nobody is around, time to hack a bunch of stuff up close' if you feel gutsy - or if you're on a character that's really going to punish/deter people who spring your disguise, like Hans.

Just don't do the thing where you take a couple steps, stop, then take a couple steps again and stop again. That's a deaaaaad giveaway that has gotten me so many kills.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 13, 2023

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Looks like survivors will be able to disable the drones in different fashion with the SM rework.

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1702019375501283745

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Tiny Myers posted:

Deceive INC sales pitch

Does it have private lobbies and what is the limit of said private lobby?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

Looks like survivors will be able to disable the drones in different fashion with the SM rework.

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1702019375501283745

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1702022686535303508?s=20

Okay BHVR I laughed

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

L.U.I.G.I posted:

private lobbies are on the dev roadmap, release date is presumably sometime before end of year, we'll be getting more information on that sometime soon

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1702313786621788283?s=20

Looks like the anti-camping is coming along.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Looking forward to survivors working out how to weaponize that against the killer somehow.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

Looking forward to survivors working out how to weaponize that against the killer somehow.

Yup there will be lots of "running to the hooked survivor and doing a chase right next to them"

And this won't really do much against a Basement Bubba since even if they unhook themselves and get basekit BT he just hits them with the second sweep.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm sure this will work out great on something like Gideon's, where you can be in proximity to a hook and also under it on another floor

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Like Mix said it's on the roadmap and they actually just announced information about private lobbies today! It's a hotly requested feature :) TLDR: Open beta this month, release next month.

https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/deceive-inc-private-lobbies-beta-brief.2339836/

I'd assume the limit will be around 12 players, the max for a single game, with no lower limit, but I don't know for sure.

Just had a match that prompted me to make this meme:

Is there any joy in this game like versing your killer main and getting a huge edge because you know all the worst tactics that will gently caress them up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
I thought First Class Trouble was going to be a solid spiritual successor to The Ship until I read about proximity based voice chat as a "feature" and welp

Deceive Inc looks to be much more solid. They just need to add bouncy castles to each map and anyone bunny hopping anywhere else gets nailed for "disturbing the peace".