Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I'm not a big time business genius, but this thing seems like a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's Unreal or Godot. The latter has been slowly growing in mindshare and features. I think Godot is trying to do a Blender.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Begemot posted:

Presumably pirates are going to strip out whatever part of the new installer is phoning home.

But this is not guaranteed, and nothing stops people who want to cause harm from spreading copies that still send back installation stats.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i wonder how many games get removed from sale because of this

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I saw someone also point out that this basically wrecks the ability for something like Vampire Survivors to come into existence.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

ImpAtom posted:

I saw someone also point out that this basically wrecks the ability for something like Vampire Survivors to come into existence.

I’m pretty sure Mr. Galante could port his game to Godot pretty easily.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Vampire Survivors was just ported to Unity very recently, it was some HTML based thing originally

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Boycott indies by installing and reinstalling their game all day long.

Unity bringing powers to the GAMERS!!1!!!!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oxxidation posted:

riccitello subscribes to the “gently caress are you gonna do about it” school of business so let’s hope mihoyo makes a few phone calls to the board of directors or something

my current theory is that the shareholders are going to crucify him in the lobby as a reminder to the next one

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
don't feed the golden goose into a woodchipper

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Good thing most of us already buy games and never play them. It'll be a pretty easy move to never installing them either.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/TafferKing451/status/1701712677729689822

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

No Wave posted:

In the sense that you owe money for previous installs no. In the sense that starting Jan 1 2024 you'll have to pay for future installs of games that you published years ago yes.

lmao

The ultimate in rent seeking

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Godot, for one.
I'm not waiting for that.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

No Wave posted:

In the sense that you owe money for previous installs no. In the sense that starting Jan 1 2024 you'll have to pay for future installs of games that you published years ago yes.

Did the previous license not grant you the right to redistribute the runtime with your game? What did people pay the subscriptions for then?

Imagine if you pulled that with anything else, like "oh sorry your car's engine block is part of the premium car entertainment system package now, better pay up"

mystes
May 31, 2006

tango alpha delta posted:

I’m pretty sure Mr. Galante could port his game to Godot pretty easily.
Even if Godot is roughly equivalent now for at least some times of games, that doesn't mean it's trivial to port a game that's already been made using unity

I'm sure some people will do it out of spite though

overeager overeater posted:

Did the previous license not grant you the right to redistribute the runtime with your game? What did people pay the subscriptions for then?

Imagine if you pulled that with anything else, like "oh sorry your car's engine block is part of the premium car entertainment system package now, better pay up"
Yeah it's sort of astonishing that the license didn't somehow ensure they couldn't do this for existing games?

IMO the biggest problem is that even if a developer is like "well fine we have no choice, so ok" it doesn't seem like there's anything stopping unity from doing more of this kind of thing in the future

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 13, 2023

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mierenneuker posted:

Be sure to visit the points shop to claim a free tunak tunak tun profile background and feel extremely old.

Is the points shop only for cosmetics or can they be used for anything else? Just realised I have about 75000 of them

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Artelier posted:

Is the points shop only for cosmetics or can they be used for anything else? Just realised I have about 75000 of them

Just dumb cosmetic bullshit. Chat emojis, profile picture borders, backgrounds etc. I have 228,000 :shepface:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I support John Ricola’s extremely smart decision to explode his company and wish him a very merry unpacked golden parachute.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Orv posted:

I support John Ricola’s extremely smart decision to explode his company and wish him a very merry unpacked golden parachute.

oh my god it’s the guy from ea everyone hated! this makes total sense!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Weedle posted:

oh my god it’s the guy from ea everyone hated! this makes total sense!

He’s been so poo poo for so long in that “but it makes us lots of money!” way and I wish he’d stop.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Google Jeb Bush posted:

my current theory is that the shareholders are going to crucify him in the lobby as a reminder to the next one

Markets don't reflect any kind of reckoning, so I don't think they care yet:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Check in again tomorrow after the retail investors get back

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the markets aren't going to go down in reaction to news that the company is about to make a shitload of extra money from licensing, they'll go down in like two or three years when that decision has reduced unity's marketshare and their growth is restricted by onboarding; at which point the shareholders have already made that money so it was a good decision to make.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If nothing else I just can't imagine a company like Activision or Mihoyo just rolling over and paying. That or they're going to lie through their teeth and suddenly Star Rail only has 100 downloads a month I guess.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is the most insane tweet yet

https://twitter.com/unity/status/1701689241456021607
literally admitting they're making the numbers up -OR- they've put spyware in the installs. both incredibly bad possibilities

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

No Wave posted:

How would they be able to count installs for old games unless the developer updated the runtime? Is it already phoning home?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

if you look up "unity phone home" you can see people from like 2014 complaining about it doing so

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

moosferatu posted:

How would they be able to count installs for old games unless the developer updated the runtime? Is it already phoning home?

Feels like a bad idea to reveal you've been violating GDPR billions of separate times, lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

overeager overeater posted:

Yeah it's extremely suspect. You can't actually just change terms on a whim this dramatically even if your T&C checkbox reserves the right to do so because otherwise what's stopping them from saying "it's effective now and you owe us 99% of your revenue". It's not actually legal to scam like that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

No Wave posted:

Yeah it's extremely suspect. You can't actually just change terms on a whim this dramatically even if your T&C checkbox reserves the right to do so because otherwise what's stopping them from saying "it's effective now and you owe us 99% of your revenue". It's not actually legal to scam like that.

I dunno if you’ve followed the exploits of the rich lately but uhhhh kinda might be?

Jokes aside that far would probably be beyond the pale but I could totally see them taking indie devs to court for all their money when they don’t pay up for 2024 installs that Unity shouldn’t know anything about.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Ghostlight posted:

if you look up "unity phone home" you can see people from like 2014 complaining about it doing so

Hmm... I was curious. I installed Hollow Knight and launched it (didn't play) and didn't see any non-steam related traffic on my pihole. I guess they could have the IPs hard coded, but I doubt it.

This post seems to suggest that it doesn't phone home unless "cloud services" are enabled.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/does-unity-still-phone-home-at-runtime.1163186/

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Guys it's been 20 years
All I can afford to give is some free stickers peeps don't use and a wallpaper and avatar for Russian bots

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I'm sorry you didn't get the rewards you were due for your loyalty

Orv
May 4, 2011
It does seem odd that there’s not like, Portal 1 free to keep or some hats or something. Not that they owe it but it seems easy.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I'm sorry you didn't get the rewards you were due for your loyalty

Stolen valor

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They meant to give away Ricochet 2 to everyone for free but the source code got misplaced.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Begemot posted:

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1701679722873127404

Don't worry! They've got fraud detection, and a compliance team that has every incentive to ignore reports of malicious fraud :v:
Watch them have an internal "Red Team" or a "QA Team" that tries to circumvent the "fraud detection". :homebrew:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just saw something incredibly weird but not unwelcome.

I bought a Ubisoft game, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, because I wanted something brainless to play and it was like 85% off or something, and it has the most bizarre gameplay option I've ever seen.
Upon starting a new game it asks you "Would you like to turn off the Gear Score loot treadmill?" and if you pick yes then they just completely remove the modern Gear Score bullshit from the game. It's just an option that's part of the difficulty customization.

I was really baffled by it but I do like not having to deal with constant loot sifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That wasn't possible in the game originally, it was one of the additions in the big update in the year after the game released.

https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-is-massively-reworking-ghost-recon-breakpoint-1842127799