Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

Ross being upfront about PCA not being an everyday player down the stretch is perfectly fine. PCA is probably well aware of the situation and his role on the team and isn't taking what Ross said personally. He seemed pretty excited to have dropped down that sac bunt last night. This is the final stretch, we'll see PCA a lot more next year.

The Cubs have loved signing and playing old veteran players for a long time now, it's hard to say if that's a managerial or FO decision how much playing time they get. I still contend signing Hosmer or Mancini was an alright move to start the year considering the Cubs had zero 1b options beyond hoping Mervis would fill the role and well... You can see why teams don't like to rely solely on an unproven rookie call up. Hosmer barely played and Mancini just didn't pan out unfortunately but the Candelario pick up seems like a pretty inspired move.

A lot of these moves are also because they are incredibly cheap. They could have signed Candelario outright over the winter but he was a few million more than Hosmer. And remember the Cubs had to give up a better prospect in return because they wanted the Nats to pay his remaining salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

Braves broke the NL record for homers in a season tonight when Acuña hit their 280th on the year; Ozuna added 281 later in the inning. Chasing the 2019 Twins for the MLB record, which is 307.

At the same time, they also have the 6th lowest strikeout rate in baseball, which is pretty wild.

And Matt Olson tied Andruw Jones for the franchise single season home run record at 51.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

A lot of these moves are also because they are incredibly cheap. They could have signed Candelario outright over the winter but he was a few million more than Hosmer. And remember the Cubs had to give up a better prospect in return because they wanted the Nats to pay his remaining salary.

In retrospect true but Candelario was coming off of a down year for Detroit, I don't think he was the obvious 1b FA choice for the Cubs especially if they were eyeing Mervis for the position. Hosmer was a dirt cheap established player, he just needed to be competent. it didn't work out so they cut him. Mancini made less sense to me given they had signed Hosmer but I suppose the hope was he would fill in if Hosmer didn't pan out.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hosmer was dirt cheap because he sucks. If Candelario was a risk, a guy like Drury could play 1B and offers some added versatility if Mervis panned out. Just felt like a cheap move.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Yeah, it's too bad how signing Hosmer and Mancini sank the season. Poor Cubs.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

That glove came in handy pretty early today

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1701762315409125765

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

RC and Moon Pie posted:

And Matt Olson tied Andruw Jones for the franchise single season home run record at 51.

Absolutely wild that 51 is the team record, and it’s not held by either 2 team members of the 500 HR club (including the true all time leader), or another guy who fell just shy of 500.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GPTribefan posted:

(including the true all time leader)

lol

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

GPTribefan posted:

(including the true all time leader)

BBWAA account spotted

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

GPTribefan posted:

Absolutely wild that 51 is the team record, and it’s not held by either 2 team members of the 500 HR club (including the true all time leader), or another guy who fell just shy of 500.

so many things come back round to the frankly unreasonable consistency & longevity of Henry Aaron.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://mlb-cuts-diamond.mlb.com/FORGE/2023/2023-09/12/fbe67eb3-32e3c13d-f1a6c641-csvm-diamondx64-asset_1280x720_59_16000K.mp4

he had to leave the game

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Adam Wainwright has been terrible this year and hasn't won a game in months it seems like yet somehow got his 199th win against the Orioles on the road

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Mike_V posted:

Adam Wainwright has been terrible this year and hasn't won a game in months it seems like yet somehow got his 199th win against the Orioles on the road

was gonna say that game was so counterintuitive it was nailed on for a Cards win. always liked Wainwright as one who got away, hope he gets 200 and they lose every other game

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Disappointing their fans with the regularity of the sunset is the Orioles' thing

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
Yep, as the prophecy foretold earlier in this thread.

Odd game. O’s 1-12 with RISP including 3 GIDPs was brutal.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/JohnnyPhisher/status/1701780875451453883

absolute loser energy team. easily gone in the wc if they even make it into the playoffs

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Lately, Cavan Biggio has been the Blue Jays most reliable and consistent hitter. It is dire.

zoux posted:

You can be the hottest team in baseball and still get 3 hit shut out by the loving As

https://twitter.com/talkinbaseball_/status/1701579899419402692?s=46&t=kXeNoI1c0iOC-uVgeh1UiA

lol good news for the Jays

I was wondering why it seemingly took so long for him to report to Buffalo after being optioned - and then later why he was removed from the Buffalo team without pitching a game because "they needed a roster spot."

Not at all a smart career move for someone who bombed so hard this year.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 13, 2023

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
I hope he learns to throttle down a little bit, otherwise he might have a Grady Sizemore career arc.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Lately, Cavan Biggio has been the Blue Jays most reliable and consistent hitter. It is dire.

I was wondering why it seemingly took so long for him to report to Buffalo after being optioned - and then later why he was removed from the Buffalo team without pitching a game because "they needed a roster spot."

Not at all a smart career move for someone who bombed so hard this year.

What's weird is, why hasn't the team just suspended him for refusing to report where assigned? It's been a month. Something unusual is going on there.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

running even halfway to first....christ im feelin sick just watchin it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

What's weird is, why hasn't the team just suspended him for refusing to report where assigned? It's been a month. Something unusual is going on there.

He's in the minors not making poo poo. The Jays want to manage the relationship cause he currently has 0 value otherwise. Suspending doesn't really help that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If he was still in the Jays' long term plans and they wanted to manage the relationship, they wouldn't have sent him down in the first place. I greatly doubt they were blindsided to discover he was pissed off about the prospect.

I doubt he's ever going to pitch for the Jays again at this point. The standoff is between the team wanting him to pitch in the minors and hopefully pitch well so they can trade him for something vs. him wanting to be released, most likely

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Pete Crow-Armstrong is legit

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
It’s not a good day to be a bad guy

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Are the Blue Jays shady? I feel like this isn't the first time they've done something like this since Shapiro took over but I can't think of anything specific.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Anyone at all be surprised if the Astros go 2-7 against the As and Royals twice?

TAKING THE UNDER

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

live with fruit posted:

Are the Blue Jays shady? I feel like this isn't the first time they've done something like this since Shapiro took over but I can't think of anything specific.

What exactly is shady about sending down a pitcher with an ERA near 6 and continuing to pay him (the minor league pittance yes, but they could suspend him and pay him $0) for a month when he refuses to report?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

And then in the 6th inning

https://twitter.com/WatchMarquee/status/1701790145320714718

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Manoa was hot garbage this year, Jays didn't do anything weird

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Jays still have 2 options on him, so if he wants to keep being a pissbaby he can enjoy not playing baseball and not getting paid for the next 2+ years, I guess.

The whole situation is bizarre on both sides, can't wait to find out what's really going on there.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

What exactly is shady about sending down a pitcher with an ERA near 6 and continuing to pay him (the minor league pittance yes, but they could suspend him and pay him $0) for a month when he refuses to report?

You're the one who said that they knew they'd blow up their relationship by sending him down.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sure but that doesn't mean it's shady. It just means they decided they didn't care enough about his delicate feelings to keep running him out to get lit up every fifth day while they're trying to make the playoffs, and if they end up losing him as a result so be it. In what way is that "shady"?

Manoah has started down the path towards the particular enlightenment that in baseball as in most walks of life, you can get away with sucking or with being an rear end in a top hat, but not both.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 13, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sure but that doesn't mean it's shady. It just means they decided they didn't care enough about his delicate feelings to keep running him out to get lit up every fifth day while they're trying to make the playoffs, and if they end up losing him as a result so be it. In what way is that "shady"?

Well when you put it that way.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
demoting a pitcher who has options and sucks isn't shady

it doesn't become shady if he pitches better fits than games, either

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

fast cars loose anus posted:

demoting a pitcher who has options and sucks isn't shady

it doesn't become shady if he pitches better fits than games, either

Just dumb then? If you know that Manoah's going to react like this, it doesn't seem wise to do it. Now him coming back is probably off the table and they'll be lucky to get anything decent back in a trade.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Teams wouldn’t take him off waivers lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

live with fruit posted:

Just dumb then? If you know that Manoah's going to react like this, it doesn't seem wise to do it. Now him coming back is probably off the table and they'll be lucky to get anything decent back in a trade.

So what, just suffer one in five starts being an automatic loss because Manoah is unplayable? I have no idea what the hell you're even advocating for with all these posts. Sending him down was the right move and if Manoah wants to have any kind of career long term then he's gonna need to get over it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

If he was still in the Jays' long term plans and they wanted to manage the relationship, they wouldn't have sent him down in the first place. I greatly doubt they were blindsided to discover he was pissed off about the prospect.

I doubt he's ever going to pitch for the Jays again at this point. The standoff is between the team wanting him to pitch in the minors and hopefully pitch well so they can trade him for something vs. him wanting to be released, most likely

There's 0 chance he thinks they are going to release him. They wanted him to keep making starts and there was no chance of that happening in the majors with Ryu back and effective and them having a bunch of off days. He was pissed cause it cost him literal millions NEXT SEASON, and subsequent years, if he'd been on the team the rest of the year he'd have been a super 2 next season and get that extra year of arb that's worth 10-15 million extra.

If the Jays were willing to burn the relationship completely they would have suspended him when he didn't report instead of feeding bs stories to the media about injuries and whatever else. They need a cheap starter next year, and he's the best one in the organization that could start the year in the majors.

live with fruit posted:

So just gift him a roster spot to hang out when you're trying to make the playoffs? That doesn't make any sense. As I said, the rotation is full, and they weren't going to stick him in the pen just to hang out and be nice.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1701793475002286371

that's actually pretty fuckin funny imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Jays bend over backwards for years of control to their own detriment constantly. They aren't going to suddenly purge Manoah cause he's being a baby. They have all the leverage.