Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
The Oil we drill isn't from dead dinosaurs. It's the dead Ocean Aliens, and they're pisssssed about us burning their ancestors to drive our civilization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Real

Lackey
May 31, 2000

Monsters?
They look like monsters to you?

I have never been more grateful to have my two days off this week to be the following two days. Thank you reddit-touchers here for slogging around there for information.

I'm kinda hoping the aliems show up so I don't have to go back to my shift on Friday. We've got Thursday to look forward to as well, right?

It's an exciting time, friends.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm fully on board with the Mexican or indeed any government being hoaxed but once again I ask for evidence that the university scientist presenting the DNA results is not legit. I feel like I'm missing some fundamental link between the bodies being made of papier mache and what was shown the the Mexican Congress.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

pancake rabbit posted:

quote:

They are referred to as a name that begins with a “T” and that’s all I have to say about that.

Terence

Techno Mechanicus

Tortilla

T*****s

come on uap thread, we can nine billion names of god this poo poo

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mola Yam posted:

Terence

Techno Mechanicus

Tortilla

T*****s

The Aliens

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
T'rump

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

this is why we can't coexist. they think the trump thread is about making fun of them and they are pissed

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sharknado slashfic posted:

I'm fully on board with the Mexican or indeed any government being hoaxed but once again I ask for evidence that the university scientist presenting the DNA results is not legit. I feel like I'm missing some fundamental link between the bodies being made of papier mache and what was shown the the Mexican Congress.

It's real

It also looks identical to that video of the dead one some Russians found in the snow, including the weirdly wide shoulders and strange hops

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Mola Yam posted:

Terence

Techno Mechanicus

Tortilla

T*****s

thetans

tom cruise will be humanity's ambassador

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tlanteans

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Objurium posted:

A friend is saying the Nazca not-mummies have been thoroughly debunked as hoaxes already and sent me this video that I'm going to watch after I'm done filling my head with Mexican schizophrenia, but in case anyone wants to try and debunk the debunk:

https://youtu.be/-DmDHF6jN9A?si=1mEIckoti9SeRPqT

best part of this vid is learning that llama skulls have a hidden aitee skull inside them

but yeah uh the xrays don't really help their case at all. really looks like cobbled together human bones, in which case it's sort of mycrimes.mummy.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

from the oceans we came, to the oceans we must return

https://youtu.be/WnwwlkUkALU?feature=shared

Go into the water
Live there
Die there

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/GarryPNolan/status/1701789821654683965?s=20

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The gently caress does that mean Gary

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Helpful Garry thanks

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Maybe not.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/GarryPNolan/status/1701792059643080892?s=20

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
well that's not scary at all. it's tiny.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

they linked 3 full-rear end genomic sequences garry, get crackin

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

C'mon son

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Perry Mason Jar posted:

"[As per genetic sequencing,] 90% chance of no relation to homo sapiens and a less than 50% chance of a relation to any known living organism."

give me those data

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

reddit larper posted:

Fact number 7: As NHI progress they severely alter geothermal energy, electromagnetic energy, plate tectonics and currents. As humanity progresses we severely poison and heat the seas, and Mother Earth can no longer take our squabbling. One of us has to go, and because UAP move the way they do by manipulating magnetic fields of the earth, neither of us are interstellar travelers yet.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mystery-lights-seen-before-morocco-earthquake-scientists-baffled-videos-2023-9?amp

quote:

Videos appear to show mystery lights in the sky before Morocco's devastating earthquake.
Scientists say so-called "earthquake lights" have long been reported when tremors hit.
Experts still aren't sure what causes them because they are difficult to study.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/GarryPNolan/status/1701792131415974319?s=20

The sort of firestorm that comes from... calling alien mummies forgeries...

Or the other kind?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

give me those data

welp

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you can hoax sequences - they are just text files - and professors do stupid poo poo all the time so i don't see that as a slam dunk. i don't think it's really possible to prove to a determined believer that a sequence is hoaxed either - for one thing, even if they have DNA with the same canonical bases as us because it's chemically favored over other nucleic acid configurations (which idk if it is - there are good reasons for why we have the combination of nucleobases we have but alternate combinations could probably also be similarly stable), you absolutely would not expect the translation from gene to protein to be similar to earth life at all. you could put a completely random sequence into the database, claim it was an alien sequence, and nobody could tell you otherwise because they would have to have an alien ribosome + associated cellular machinery to figure out how the sequence actually works. if you had strong attention to detail in your hoax you would include some non-random chunks like long repeating sequences because those are features we see in earth life.

on the other hand, making the sequence "earth-like" - i.e. something corresponding to our codon scheme that could be translated by a regular rear end ribosome into meaningful proteins - is also highly suspicious but not enough so to totally break your case. would be a higher effort hoax requiring some level of expertise since presumably you'd be throwing together a grab-bag of earth-derived sequences, along with some random bullshit you made up to make it "alien". this variety of hoax could be fairly trivially busted by geneticists but then you just fall back onto "they're from earth, they've been here all along!!!".

either option would be totally unconvincing to scientists but enough to sell ufology books to people who do not know cell biology at all

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
new thread title

[UFOs] huevos de hombrecitos verdes

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Edit: okay im like high and very very tired so I had skipped forward. He also says they're carbon-dated one million years old and they were found preserved in diatomaceous earth

yeah ok carbon dating doesn't work for stuff that old. 100,000 tops

I guess I had better read the rest of the thread before saying more though

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Um, no, I'm sorry. Aliens can't be real today. It is my birthday. That is much too divergent for today. Any other day is fine.

Happy Birdday!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So it seems like raw DNA files would be hard to fake right? Like you could just write a program that makes up random sequences but seems like that would be pretty easy to spot? Somebody who knows about this stuff tell us if you could write a complete DNA sequence for an organism that is fake without it being obvious?

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Jazerus posted:

you can hoax sequences - they are just text files - and professors do stupid poo poo all the time so i don't see that as a slam dunk. i don't think it's really possible to prove to a determined believer that a sequence is hoaxed either - for one thing, even if they have DNA with the same canonical bases as us because it's chemically favored over other nucleic acid configurations (which idk if it is - there are good reasons for why we have the combination of nucleobases we have but alternate combinations could probably also be similarly stable), you absolutely would not expect the translation from gene to protein to be similar to earth life at all. you could put a completely random sequence into the database, claim it was an alien sequence, and nobody could tell you otherwise because they would have to have an alien ribosome + associated cellular machinery to figure out how the sequence actually works. if you had strong attention to detail in your hoax you would include some non-random chunks like long repeating sequences because those are features we see in earth life.

on the other hand, making the sequence "earth-like" - i.e. something corresponding to our codon scheme that could be translated by a regular rear end ribosome into meaningful proteins - is also highly suspicious but not enough so to totally break your case. would be a higher effort hoax requiring some level of expertise since presumably you'd be throwing together a grab-bag of earth-derived sequences, along with some random bullshit you made up to make it "alien". this variety of hoax could be fairly trivially busted by geneticists but then you just fall back onto "they're from earth, they've been here all along!!!".

either option would be totally unconvincing to scientists but enough to sell ufology books to people who do not know cell biology at all

ok but have you considered the t'nutty that live inside the earth

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

yeah ok carbon dating doesn't work for stuff that old. 100,000 tops

I guess I had better read the rest of the thread before saying more though

1000ish not a million

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

1000ish not a million

In reading the livestream I thought it was 1000 or 1200 years

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

pancake rabbit posted:

ok but have you considered the t'nutty that live inside the earth

And they're small, that's why the spheres aren't gigantic. Just wee fellas

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
like that could be a fucken linux iso, what am i going to do with a 40gb dna file

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

And they're small, that's why the spheres aren't gigantic. Just wee fellas

:aaaaa:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/GarryPNolan/status/1701794800931078505?s=20

It was too hard to prove alien life exists so... I made a lot of money though

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

pancake rabbit posted: