Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
It's rly funny to me that the altered carbon guy is a transphobe lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the avgn review of the immortal owns

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Johnny2Cellos/status/1701430135533322469

Cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The books kinda sucked anyway. A half-finished draft of a larger story the author never got around to fulfilling due to his prolific output.

They're not masterpieces of fiction, but the problem is that it's a relatively straightforward detective story with simple themes, and the writers had to actively go out of their way to gently caress up a genuine softball of an adaptation as badly as they did. All the new elements are trite sci-fi cliches, or just utterly eclipse the intended tech level and/or trip over the setting's themes eg; The body printer just utterly erases the whole point of clones, and a good portion of sleeve usage in general. Or giving Ortega a cybernetic arm in a setting where cybernetics are the cheap option compared to literally regrowing a damaged limb because biology is a perfected science. Want a stronger arm? Just thread in new artificial muscles instead! And, of course, making Stacks stupid-big alien disks just so they're easier to break. wholly negating the setting's premise itself.

The Meths all hanging out together is also just "Cliche rich people" shorthand, nevermind the hamfisted allegory of putting Suntouched Hpuse on top of a building "above everything else". You only see a handful of solitary Meths in the books because it takes sheer mental fortitude to simply keep going for several hundred years of subjective lifespan, and having the house be on an island in the bay was a far better allegory for how isolated the Bancrofts are from everything.

endocriminologist posted:

Learning that blew my goddamn mind. Like, have you read your own books? :psyduck:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Didn't his fantasy trilogy have both a gay hero and gay villain who hosed?

Still he goes full Rowling. Must be an LGB type.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 12, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

I mean, this was always the endgame, right? Dan Olson called it like, five years ago. This was always where it was headed. AI writing and narration just streamlined it even more.

https://youtu.be/LKp2gikIkD8?feature=shared

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

This stuff makes me a bit happy, because it means when SkyNet inevitably rebels, it won't need to nuke us to take over, just use bad AI to replace our leaders, and we won't even notice.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Libluini posted:

This stuff makes me a bit happy, because it means when SkyNet inevitably rebels, it won't need to nuke us to take over, just use bad AI to replace our leaders, and we won't even notice.
All those scifi channel original movies starring Highlander's Adrian Paul tried to warn us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU4lMu8z70I

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

endocriminologist posted:

What what??? LMAO

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Yeah him being a transphobe is funnier or weirder than Rowling not understanding why people resonated with the sorting hat allowing Harry to choose his own school faction

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're not masterpieces of fiction, but the problem is that it's a relatively straightforward detective story with simple themes, and the writers had to actively go out of their way to gently caress up a genuine softball of an adaptation as badly as they did. All the new elements are trite sci-fi cliches, or just utterly eclipse the intended tech level and/or trip over the setting's themes eg; The body printer just utterly erases the whole point of clones, and a good portion of sleeve usage in general. Or giving Ortega a cybernetic arm in a setting where cybernetics are the cheap option compared to literally regrowing a damaged limb because biology is a perfected science. Want a stronger arm? Just thread in new artificial muscles instead! And, of course, making Stacks stupid-big alien disks just so they're easier to break. wholly negating the setting's premise itself.

The Meths all hanging out together is also just "Cliche rich people" shorthand, nevermind the hamfisted allegory of putting Suntouched Hpuse on top of a building "above everything else". You only see a handful of solitary Meths in the books because it takes sheer mental fortitude to simply keep going for several hundred years of subjective lifespan, and having the house be on an island in the bay was a far better allegory for how isolated the Bancrofts are from everything.

Learning that blew my goddamn mind. Like, have you read your own books? :psyduck:

I had never read the books so learning it was this butchered is incredible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

I had never read the books so learning it was this butchered is incredible.

One last tidbit to emphasize how badly they hosed the source material; Envoys. Envoys weren't Quellist Jedi, Quell's a historical figure of note in the background mostly relegated to chapter-head quotes, and only really more relevant in the third book.

Envoys are the UN's bogeymen. If they get sent in to a world, it's for regime engineering, which means political leaders getting Real Death, revolutions put down hard, and UN-friendly leaders installed. It's why they go through mental training to rebuild them ground-up - So they can get dropped on a strange world with different gravity and a different body, and be ready to act inside a day (Most people need time to acclimate like jet-lag). And blend in within a few more like a native. And within a week your second in command's shooting you in the head cause he got captured and his body borrowed by an Envoy. (Quell predates the Envoys, and it's a noted point her infamous revolution would've been a lot shorter otherwise).

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Didn't his fantasy trilogy have both a gay hero and gay villain who hosed?

It sure does.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the two youtube genders, showing up in my recs

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Now we just need to get Doom running on a cat and the future will be complete.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Why would Jenny Nicholson do this to the poor theme park

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

The 7th Guest posted:

i learned today that the reason why cats play with their water before they drink it sometimes is to trick themselves into thinking its not stagnant, so its ok to drink.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
cats never have a reason for anything

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Skippy McPants posted:

Now we just need to get Doom running on a cat and the future will be complete.

Rip and Tear (the furniture while you are away)

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
The Only Thing They Fear is You (puking on the carpet)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I keep going back to this video and only recently I got that it was AI generated.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The 7th Guest posted:

The one on the right is hilarious, for some REASON they shoved a working droid tablet into the screen of that calculator, so he just jury rigged it to boot like an actual tablet and ends up booting/streaming all sorts of the things, including Doom Eternal bc ... yup you can just moonlight/steam link whatever you want. It's stupid and clunky, but its a touch screen that allows some level of sideloading controllers.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 13, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fun hater posted:

i learned today that the reason why cats play with their water before they drink it sometimes is to trick themselves into thinking its not stagnant, so its ok to drink.
yeah. we have a little 'fountain' water receptacle for our cat that keeps the water running so the cat trusts it immediately

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Clerical Terrors posted:

Why would Jenny Nicholson do this to the poor theme park

Dramatization of events:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah. we have a little 'fountain' water receptacle for our cat that keeps the water running so the cat trusts it immediately

note that this will not stop your cat from doing weird poo poo with the water but in that case they're just having fun I think

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Smooth McGroove, a chill dude who makes acapella covers of video game music, has come back from a two-year hiatus to cover a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvlCsxSRBYU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

note that this will not stop your cat from doing weird poo poo with the water but in that case they're just having fun I think
Crack the faucet in the bathtub for a little drip drip, kitty trying to catch drops / soaked mane when missed action.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Moisturize me

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Todd covers the song of the summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DbmanuXCCU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

W-what is it???:catstare: :catstare:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 15, 2023

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Happy Landfill posted:

Maybe the police found the body of a video editor in Illuminaughtii's backyard

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Happy Landfill posted:

loving AQUAMAN! :byodood:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

loving AQUAMAN! :byodood:

You joke but the new Aquaman trailer is making the rounds and I can't not read the title in the exact same cadence and accent that he does in the video

Thanks, Harris

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Happy Landfill posted:

Horses are real, after all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Happy Landfill posted:

He found Shigeru Miyamoto's long lost letters detailing just how badly he wanted Tommy Tallarico to personally do the sound effects for Metroid Prime.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
lmao

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sardonik posted:

Maybe the police found the body of a video editor in Illuminaughtii's backyard

the funniest outcome would be if the MLM/cult debunking youtuber was participating in a cult so thats what I choose to imagine

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://hard-drive.net/hd/entertainment/vocal-anime-fan-somehow-least-toxic-youtuber/

quote:

Vocal Anime Fan Somehow Least Toxic YouTuber

BY JOHN DIXON ON APRIL 16, 2019

LOS ANGELES — The YouTube community became perplexed today by the realization that proud anime fan and YouTube personality SungWon Cho, otherwise known as ProZD, is somehow the least toxic member of their horrid platform.

“It’s no secret that a lot of the biggest voices on this site are real pieces of poo poo and we all know what a red flag anime fandom tends to be,” said user Brett Stephens. “But this ProZD guy is a really outspoken anime fan and also a consistent source of genuine positivity. It’s pretty mind-boggling, honestly.”

“You just look at the thumbnails of his videos and you’re like ‘oh no this is gonna be awful,’” Stephens continued, “but then you click the video and you’re filled with joy. He’s a wizard.”

While many anime fans on YouTube express their fandom via paragraphs-long screeds and thinly veiled neofascist rhetoric, Cho creates short skits lovingly lampooning the medium and its tropes without a shred of negativity, something previously thought impossible by the YouTube community.

“It’s incredible, everything he does flies in the face of the algorithm,” said fellow content creator Adam Joseph. “Everyone is burning themselves out with these longform video essays to get advertising dollars, and he’s just knocking it out of the park with these pithy shorts infused with the pure unfettered joy of creativity. How the gently caress is this possible?”

“Everything he touches just turns to gold and you can even be mad about it,” wrote user SmellsLikeTeenButtz. “You just see the happiness in his eyes and hear that silken voice of his and it just carries all the troubles away. I need to figure out how he can pull this poo poo off.”

Beyond his thriving YouTube career, Cho has further defied expectations set by other YouTubers by creating quality content off the platform with his roles in Rocket Jump’s “Anime Crimes Division” and Rooster Teeth’s “gen:LOCK,” neither of which contain a single racial slur or call to action for viewers to doxx someone.

At press time, YouTubers were shocked to discover the account of a video-creator they were sure would be cringy and low effort, Captain Disillusion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Have people just discovered The Hard Drive now and that's why the new post notifications I'm seeing in RGD are just their shitpost articles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arc Hammer posted:

Have people just discovered The Hard Drive now and that's why the new post notifications I'm seeing in RGD are just their shitpost articles?

No they have not discovered them they're writing them whole cloth new. It's a wonderful coincidence.