Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AllenFarnsworthIV posted:

He’s not even that bad compared to some of the people I seen when the U.S military was doing stop loss back in 07-08. I seen guys that was double that size in active duty combat units, who couldn’t pass a fitness test during year of train up before deployment.

Never forget :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
you think he shared those or were those all for him

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1701531957509882117

quote:

Soldiers from the 47th Mechanized Brigade describe their experiences with Leopard 2A6 tanks.

This brigade pushed through the russian troops' first line of defense near Robotyne, Zaporizhzhia region.

Another tank review from the Ukrainians, this time the Leopard 2A6.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm gonna just call it a teaching moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWYqu1Il9Ps

There is a scene in “Valley of Tears”, a movie which features a lot of tank warfare during the war with Israel in 1973, where the tankers set up a grid fire at an attack aircraft with uzis.

Didnt work out. Can’t find the clip online either though but it was interesting to see if it was really trained to shoot in a grid at an aircraft

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Swedish public radio just reported that the cabinet is about to formally ask the military about the possibility to give Gripen jets to Ukraine. I'm doubtful anything will actually come of it but it seems there's the political will at least.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Huh. Didn't see that Ukraine had gotten the A6s. I thought they only got A4s and 5s. Good for them.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Germany sent 18 2A6 and iirc Portugal 3 or so.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

I like that the reviews from the Western tanks are summed up as two thumbs up, I enjoy not worrying about being turned to paste on the slightest of hits, and I also love that I can actually hit what I'm shooting at while I'm moving. It makes the Soviet descended tanks seem really abysmal.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

I like that the reviews from the Western tanks are summed up as two thumbs up, I enjoy not worrying about being turned to paste on the slightest of hits, and I also love that I can actually hit what I'm shooting at while I'm moving. It makes the Soviet descended tanks seem really abysmal.

Also a repeat of the previous "holy poo poo, I can sit in this tank without hating life."

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Chopstix posted:

There is a scene in “Valley of Tears”, a movie which features a lot of tank warfare during the war with Israel in 1973, where the tankers set up a grid fire at an attack aircraft with uzis.

Didnt work out. Can’t find the clip online either though but it was interesting to see if it was really trained to shoot in a grid at an aircraft

Valley of Tears is by the way an excellent show and the tank combat in it is very realistic and the events follow several significant moments. It's also a reflection on the societal trauma of the war, and Israel's treatment of minorities and how they view their service while they struggle with discrimination.

There's some artistic liberty to the tank combat, for example in one of the final pushes they crest a small embakment and engage Syrian tanks in close combat, but the "close combat" in reality had them separated by 200-400 meters, instead of 100 meters or so in the show, but the dynamics of that battle still hold pretty well to reality. I imagine showing the intensity was going to be hard with visual separation. The tank battles happening on 6 to 9 October 1973 at the Valley of Tears are relatively geographically constrained and the events are well documented. The Israelis had, depending on the moments, 5 to 7 times less tanks, and the show shows it well.

Don't watch with english dubbing, watch original Arabic and Hebrew audio.

My relative was part of one the battles shown in the show. At the conclusion of the battle, the whole Brigade had 7 functioning tanks, and my great uncle and his crew had abandoned their Sho't Kal near the Israeli line, where it can be found in the same spot today. I've actually gone and checked it out, and there's a picture of it on lots of places.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 12, 2023

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Gervasius posted:

I should really get to making Flanker variant guide.

:justpost: please!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Gervasius posted:

I should really get to making Flanker variant guide.

I'd definitely be interested to see it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PurpleXVI posted:

Also a repeat of the previous "holy poo poo, I can sit in this tank without hating life."

Wasn’t that the verdict on lend lease Shermans that were sent to the USSR?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

I would just like to point out that the guy's call sign is "Fartovyi". That is all, carry on.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Vahakyla posted:

Valley of Tears is by the way an excellent show and the tank combat in it is very realistic and the events follow several significant moments. It's also a reflection on the societal trauma of the war, and Israel's treatment of minorities and how they view their service while they struggle with discrimination.

There's some artistic liberty to the tank combat, for example in one of the final pushes they crest a small embakment and engage Syrian tanks in close combat, but the "close combat" in reality had them separated by 200-400 meters, instead of 100 meters or so in the show, but the dynamics of that battle still hold pretty well to reality. I imagine showing the intensity was going to be hard with visual separation. The tank battles happening on 6 to 9 October 1973 at the Valley of Tears are relatively geographically constrained and the events are well documented. The Israelis had, depending on the moments, 5 to 7 times less tanks, and the show shows it well.

Don't watch with english dubbing, watch original Arabic and Hebrew audio.

My relative was part of one the battles shown in the show. At the conclusion of the battle, the whole Brigade had 7 functioning tanks, and my great uncle and his crew had abandoned their Sho't Kal near the Israeli line, where it can be found in the same spot today. I've actually gone and checked it out, and there's a picture of it on lots of places.

Lebanon (2009) is another interesting movie featuring tank combat, practically entirely shot from the perspective of an Israeli tank crew in their tank. It's very intense and claustrophobic with heavy themes, so don't go watching it lightly.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mederlock posted:

Lebanon (2009) is another interesting movie featuring tank combat, practically entirely shot from the perspective of an Israeli tank crew in their tank. It's very intense and claustrophobic with heavy themes, so don't go watching it lightly.

Yes, Valley of Tears is also full of mental anguish and should not be viewed lightly.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

The last 20 seconds is why I support them getting every piece of gear they can use. gently caress Russia.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

The last 20 seconds is why I support them getting every piece of gear they can use. gently caress Russia.

Yeah, that got me good

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Crab Dad posted:

So much gently caress Russia.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

PurpleXVI posted:

Thank you for the link

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1701764738936443287

Harsh wakeup for everyone in Sevastopol today, as of a couple of minutes ago every OSINT person on Twitter was posting videos of their getting hit from the sky while air defense frantically tried to stop the attack.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I guess Russia will have no option than to strike a preschool now.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crab Dad posted:

I guess Russia will have no option than to strike a preschool again.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

I guess Ukraine will have no option than to strike their own preschool now.

:v:

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Crab Dad posted:

I guess Russia will have no option than to strike their own preschool now.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Some guessing about sub or landing ship

https://twitter.com/Global_Mil_Info/status/1701791200242479449

Looks like filmed from a ship nearby: https://old.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/16h8ox5/massive_explosion_of_russian_military/

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 13, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*Ukrainian tractor towing kilo class away*

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

*Ukrainian tractor towing kilo class away*

When's the last time a cutting out mission was performed on a docked ship? US Civil War?

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
Where the tankies at tonight

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

God I hope Ukraine bagged a Kilo on top of the Moskva.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Madurai posted:

When's the last time a cutting out mission was performed on a docked ship? US Civil War?

There was a reverse cutting out mission in WW2 - The raid on St Nazaire where the Royal Navy and Commandos raided the French port to destroy the largest drydock in occupied France. The 'reverse' part because they left behind a destroyer so the Germans gained (temporarily) another ship. Unbeknown to the hun the ship had 4.5 tons of explosives on a time-delay to destroy the gates of the dry-dock.Theres even photos of the happy Germans with their new ship (not happy for very long).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The captain of the bomb ship, HMS Campbletown, had balls of steel. He was captured after running her aground, and while a prisoner calmly walked around the ship with his captors, never letting on she was hours overdue to detonate and liable to go at any time. He received one of the five V.C.s awarded for that mission, and survived the war.

Of the 600 odd who went on that raid a quarter died and a third were captured.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Baconroll posted:

There was a reverse cutting out mission in WW2 - The raid on St Nazaire where the Royal Navy and Commandos raided the French port to destroy the largest drydock in occupied France. The 'reverse' part because they left behind a destroyer so the Germans gained (temporarily) another ship. Unbeknown to the hun the ship had 4.5 tons of explosives on a time-delay to destroy the gates of the dry-dock.Theres even photos of the happy Germans with their new ship (not happy for very long).

The St. Nazaire raid was absolutely insane, both that someone greenlit the endeavor and also that it loving worked.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Baconroll posted:

That's really more in the tradition of the fireships.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Arrath posted:

God I hope Ukraine bagged a Kilo on top of the Moskva.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1701864069102281055

quote:

A major incident occurred at the Sevmorzavod shipyard in temporarily occupied Sevastopol last night. Witnesses observed a number of violent explosions that continued for some time, followed by a major fire. Russian sources said that a large landing ship Minsk and a submarine "Rostov-na-Donu" had been struck. Meanwhile, the Ukrainian GUR thanked Ukrainian pilots for their great work.

Russian sources claim that the shipyard was attacked with 10 cruise missiles, 7 of which have been intercepted. The rest have obviously found their targets. Some Russians also spoke about unmanned water surface drones that attempted to break through to the shipyard but were intercepted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_submarine_B-237

quote:

Project 636.3 RFS Rostov na Donu (B-237) is an improved Kilo-class attack submarine of the Russian Navy.

So, obviously not confirmed yet, but generally Russian sources tend to downplay how hard they get hit, not play it up. So it might be!

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
What's the problem here? It's a submarine. It's supposed to sink.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wonder if the Zaporizhzhia got blown up.

Not that it's worth anyhing militarily, urbex of it from 2019 showed it was falling apart https://www.instagram.com/p/Bsf2RIHAunh/ (fun fact, the photographer just finished 9 months in an albanian prison because one of the military facilities she was exploring was not as abandoned as she thought, and her native guide peppersprayed a guard.)

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Sending a big huge gently caress You! to Putin and Elon at the same time. Ukrainian efficiency is terrifying.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1701917293633028509

Now that there's been daylight for a while, we're getting a look at the damage done. That does not look like a healthy ship. Fingers crossed we get a look at the damage to the Kilo, too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Fingers crossed we don't because it's too embarrassing/difficult to raise for Russia