Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
One Piece? more like "In Pieces"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

One Piece? No thanks, I'm gonna Piece Out.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

One Piece... of poo poo!!!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
one piece more like rest in peace

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSe8D2wfGKI

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
More like piece out

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
nope. you can't get me to watch or care about this "one piece" business i simply won't

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im kind of surprised they have season two scripts since that implies they were expecting a renewal when everyone else was expecting it was just going to bomb

makes me wonder whether theres season two cowboy bebop scripts lying around somewhere that just dont exist for payroll reasons

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
welcome to the ouch motherfuckers

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

makes me wonder whether theres season two cowboy bebop scripts lying around somewhere that just dont exist for payroll reasons

Netflix apparently spent two season's worth of money on Bebop because delays caused by covid / actors getting damaged on set, and we're probably always going to cancel it because of the resultant production overspend. So my guess is not.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
more like cowboy nopebop im not watching that poo poo either

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

going off of what I’ve heard from writers over the last few months they write tons of poo poo for Netflix et al that never sees the light of day.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Durf posted:

Miyazaki has to live with the precedent of Astro Boy's Osamu Tezuka, who never stopped working

speaking of tezuka i have a comically weirdly specific question for manga readers

is it easier to get manga published through viz or through dark horse i ask because im reading up on pluto in anticipation of its netflix release and maybe its just my local libraries but pluto seems way easier to get a hold of than astro boy despite the supplemental material in the pluto books constantly saying HAVE YOU READ THE GREATEST ROBOT ON EARTH BY OSAMU TEZUKA WOW ITS LIKE THE GREATEST STORY ANYONE HAS EVER WRITTEN ABOUT ROBOTS AND THIS VERSION IS ONLY A VARIATION OF ITS INCREDIBLE ARTISTIC FORM

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

god this is so 2006

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the youtube algorithm gave me a couple of baller follow ups to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_PUUHLknDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLf0qFckh7o

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

speaking of tezuka i have a comically weirdly specific question for manga readers

is it easier to get manga published through viz or through dark horse i ask because im reading up on pluto in anticipation of its netflix release and maybe its just my local libraries but pluto seems way easier to get a hold of than astro boy despite the supplemental material in the pluto books constantly saying HAVE YOU READ THE GREATEST ROBOT ON EARTH BY OSAMU TEZUKA WOW ITS LIKE THE GREATEST STORY ANYONE HAS EVER WRITTEN ABOUT ROBOTS AND THIS VERSION IS ONLY A VARIATION OF ITS INCREDIBLE ARTISTIC FORM

Astro Boy I've had no trouble finding in big omnibuses

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

My partner has been showing me Psych for the first time and we're about 3 seasons in. As someone who never saw it in the mid-'00s I'd say it holds up mostly because of the two leads having great chemistry, even if it's straining credulity by now that no one at the police department has figured out that Shawn isn't really psychic. The theme song is atrocious though, skip that every time.

feels like its worth noting that police stations literally have an upperbound limit for how smart recruits can be so this particular aspect doesnt really strike me as implausible at all

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Durf posted:

That's interesting, where did you hear that? Legit interested.

Also need to factor how each artist did the best they could during their time. ie Tetsuka basically forged a path that Miyazaki followed.

then you have artists like Satoshi Kon and Kentaro Miura that passed with much more left to give

anyways just watched F for Fake for the fist time. Our songs will all be silenced, but what of it? Go on singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p67d9F9nW2Y

A fellow truanon enjoyer

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

skooma512 posted:

A fellow truanon enjoyer

ya. RIP Baggins, Kindle, and Trandle.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

wasn't there a college prof who got flayed for calling a missing/absent student a "spook" because it turned out the student was also black?

cant wait for someone to think of a way to make the phrase ghosting bigoted somehow

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

Anyway I just finished Player of Games. Fun book and I'd recommend it; not sure if I'll jump right into another Culture book right away because it's late and I have a four-month-old and should be asleep anyway.

There was actually only one bitchy robot

i went to a book club for black sun earlier tonight a woman there brought up the quetzacoatl myth saying that montezuma wouldnt attack the conquistadors because they thought cortes was a god and i WELL ACTUALLYD by going that the quetzacoatl myth was almost certainly retrofitted onto cortes after the fact that in the immediate context everyone probably thought he and his merry gang of conquistadors are what we would call soldiers of fortune and that quetzacoatl is just what the aztecs call the guy who fucks up all the politics every century or so which is to say from their perspective napoleon and hitler were also reincarnations of quetzacoatl

this was all ancillary to the point she was actually making which was that the main character being the reincarnation of the crow god might have been related to the quetzacoatl myth which i think might be true actually since im kind of blanking on any other examples of precontact culture that deal with reincarnation anyway my point is that i also read a book

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Pussy Quipped posted:

going off of what I’ve heard from writers over the last few months they write tons of poo poo for Netflix et al that never sees the light of day.

Sadly, that's not a practice unique to Netflix. Most movie studios have vaults full of scripts they paid screenwriters for movies and tv shows that will never see the light of day because the stars didn't align just right. Like, that animated Castlevania show that came out in 2017 was based off a script Warren Ellis wrote back in 2007 for a completely different studio. That's ten years in development hell, and that's a success story.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The ships name themselves like that because it's embarrassing for their passengers, like the ultimate Dad.

theres a nineties outer limits episode about spaceships that go sentient but they still need like one human per ship to do repairs so the episode is from the perspective of a guy whos lived his whole life on a spaceship with his dad before he kills himself then hes briefly allowed to have a girlfriend until she gets pregnant

remembering that just now it occurs to me that the whole premise is kind of a backwards black mirror because the whole conflict centers around the fact that spaceships even sentient ones arent perfectly self sustaining they still function under meaningful real world restrictions

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

im kind of surprised they have season two scripts since that implies they were expecting a renewal when everyone else was expecting it was just going to bomb

bebop was hyped as gently caress and there was definitely already work being done on season 2 when season 1 bombed

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Truga posted:

bebop was hyped as gently caress and there was definitely already work being done on season 2 when season 1 bombed

I bet they genuinely thought they'd Made It Better

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

nonathlon posted:

I read and enjoyed Douglas Adams in my teens, and will stand up for a lot of his work. But someone on SA once very accurately described his writing as if after every sentence he poked you in the ribs and prompted "Do you get it?"

'The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.'
DO YOU GET IT?

gently caress off m8

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

yea that's a funny way to describe douglas adams when you read twitter all day

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

gradenko_2000 posted:

A million little pieces!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZ25ikUKVY

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Live action bebop was frustrating. Setting aside did it need to exist or not, they had all these resources and some truly excellent production which they then squandered with baffling writing decisions. You hate to see it. I'm glad One Piece is doing better; I choose to believe that they learned something.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Dark Horse and Penguin (their distributer) keep all the Astro Boy in print if i recall from when i was last ordering manga. I know i carry an omnibus at my job. Your library might have just never bought them or they got stolen. Astro Boy is a fun read.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1701778771601236277

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Doodoo Barrymore

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Sadly, that's not a practice unique to Netflix. Most movie studios have vaults full of scripts they paid screenwriters for movies and tv shows that will never see the light of day because the stars didn't align just right. Like, that animated Castlevania show that came out in 2017 was based off a script Warren Ellis wrote back in 2007 for a completely different studio. That's ten years in development hell, and that's a success story.
I dunno if it’s sad, writers are (kinda) getting paid rather than pure spec, and hopefully they only use the better scripts. Ultimately writing is inexpensive and making film/tv is INCREDIBLY expensive, so there is gonna be a huge number or unproduced screenplays in the world.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

final trailer, gonna catch this one opening weekend

https://twitter.com/AppleFilms/status/1701943847201161711

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cant help but feel like a film owned by apple and starring leo just rubs it in, like where does the money from this thing go? white people?

also film nerds havent shut up about it and i thought it came out months ago

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

La Louve Rouge posted:

cant help but feel like a film owned by apple and starring leo just rubs it in, like where does the money from this thing go? white people?

seems like you've got a great attitude toward the whole project and are ready to enjoy it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

La Louve Rouge posted:

Lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

La Louve Rouge posted:

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

La Louve Rouge posted:

all the osage characters are actually white actors in red face....... it's really hosed up