Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
I thought it was fine. I rolled my eyes when the episode started and Anakin started going off about teaching because I assumed it would be more meaningless lightsaber fighting (and then he pulled out a lightsaber - blue version) but then the show itself seems to subvert the idea that all Jedi are about is fighting? Bit of an odd message considering how much this show relies on constant lightsaber duels though.

I liked the visuals and I expected the space whales to be used about now but it was a nice scene regardless.

Kinda funny they spent basically a minute playing audio of a scene we watched last week but I suppose that might be the best summation of Ahsoka season 1.

Also they've already announced there's some capstone movie tying up the Mandalorian-era shows and Thrawn is mentioned so he's likely going to get resolved there (with maybe a clone Gideon appearance?) with Ahsoka largely just setting him up.

I was surprised they left Hera and Chopper behind considering they're part of the core Rebels group but I guess it's the Ahsoka show. Seems like a shame though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Why the gently caress doesn’t Hera have disgusting gross fangs like Bib Fortuna?

I can only suspend my disbelief so loving far.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

ungulateman posted:

weird thoughts.

I finished re-listening to The Odyssey, this morning. I may be in a mood.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Thought this was the strongest episode of the season by far, very surprised to see a divisive reaction in the thread. Hayden slayed and the deage on all the sequences after the first were spot on.

I love the purgill and the idea of pre hyperspace Lane travel in star wars.

Much of this show looks very very good and this episode was one of the best looking.

Virtually zero cringe cliche dialogue unlike the previous episodes ( story pacing problems aside) and everyone got to act and act human.

loved it. pure Star wars.

probably a top 5 episode non andor division

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 13, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

XYZAB posted:

Why the gently caress doesn’t Hera have disgusting gross fangs like Bib Fortuna?

That's a male thing, so they can hang on to the lekku during mating.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Hooray! Yay! We've finally reached the first episode of the series. The narrative actually begins here, with the green cop lady's investigation into a crime scene.

And, contrary to NMNM, I'mma declare this the first actually-good episode too (minus the obvious idiocy of the "no evidence" plot point). I believe it's the stink of the previous four affecting people's ability to evaluate this one fairly.

But that's also understandable when, as a whole, the show is bad.

It's a failure of narrative sequencing, basically. This episode is crying out for an achronological structure, given we have five or six distinct points where characters pause to imagine, explain, or reflect on prior events. Hera asks what the hell happened and how Rosario ended up in the water? Put a flashback there. Rosario scans the crime scene to figure out what she missed? Put a flashback there.

With the existing boneheaded structure, we effectively have a mystery narrative without any mystery, because we've been prologued with over two hours of padding and exposition, laid out in the plainest cause-and-effect manner. Why, to get to this point, did we need to see the whole convoluted providence of the map?

Here, in what's nominally Episode 5, we finally have a proper introduction to what a Jedi 'is' via the green-haired kid. We have a proper introduction to the only "New Republic" that matters, narratively, with Hera and her squadmates' behaviour.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It was so nice getting to see Hayden Christensen actually getting to do some acting, as opposed to the ACT!ing that George Lucas had him doing in the prequels.

I remain infuriated by the New Republic. "Do you have any evidence of the Imperial remnants?" "Yes, we tracked the stolen hyperspace engine from the now on-record-and-accepted-by-you Imperial-infiltrated shipyards to this location, where they blocked our communications and used the hyperdrives to jump between galaxies as we told you they were attempting. Two of our X-Wings were destroyed in the process, I have eyewitness testimony from the surviving pilots and the scans from the Astodroids on their X-Wings to prove this. I spent some time on the ground with Ahsoka Tano's robot who provided me with extensive scans of the hyperspace ring itself. Also the jump left behind an enormous energy burst which our advanced sensors will be able to read, demonstrating a hyperspace jump of staggering proportions, and a clear threat in the hands of Morgan regardless of if you accept my theory re: Thrawn or not."

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
While I feel bad for Dee Bradley Baker, it's a nice touch that they got Temuera Morrison to voice Rex in his brief cameo.

Wrapping the dead clone's faces in cloth was a pretty neat way of avoiding more de-aging costs, too.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Chopper's "wuh-woh" was perfect.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jerusalem posted:

It was so nice getting to see Hayden Christensen actually getting to do some acting, as opposed to the ACT!ing that George Lucas had him doing in the prequels.

I remain infuriated by the New Republic. "Do you have any evidence of the Imperial remnants?" "Yes, we tracked the stolen hyperspace engine from the now on-record-and-accepted-by-you Imperial-infiltrated shipyards to this location, where they blocked our communications and used the hyperdrives to jump between galaxies as we told you they were attempting. Two of our X-Wings were destroyed in the process, I have eyewitness testimony from the surviving pilots and the scans from the Astodroids on their X-Wings to prove this. I spent some time on the ground with Ahsoka Tano's robot who provided me with extensive scans of the hyperspace ring itself. Also the jump left behind an enormous energy burst which our advanced sensors will be able to read, demonstrating a hyperspace jump of staggering proportions, and a clear threat in the hands of Morgan regardless of if you accept my theory re: Thrawn or not."

Yeah every time I see the New Republic epically failing at simple anti-imperial operations I get more and more glad that they would up getting fully owned. I also guarantee my beloved Timothy Zahn would have written up things quite similar to your proposed conversation if he was telling this story in book form. A big energy signature in particular is right up Zahn's alley, with hyperspace jumps in his books causing massive radiation signals and such whenever they arrive somewhere (and probably when they leave too).

Also even setting aside literally any scanning on the part of Syndulla's crew, Ahsoka's sitting on a complete scan of the hyperspace ring that could've easily been passed over to Syndulla and they can testify that it made a massive jump. Even absent any bit of Thrawn being mixed up in this, you've got a truly massive construction project that you know the Imperial forces are mixed up in, so that's worth following up on. Here's hoping we get to see Syndulla own some Senators at a hearing, and goddamn if they don't flash that detailed scan at that hearing then that's one hell of a massive plot hole and horrible writing on Filoni's part.

I will give the show points though for the Empire being willing to throw massive resources (giant hyperspace rings and hiring two evil force users doesn't come cheap) just on the HOPE of getting Thrawn back. And even then I'm sitting here as big Thrawn fan thinking it's worth any price to put him back on the board and he's literally the only hope your Empire has of coming back, even when I know they're ultimately doomed to fail. Getting to see Anakin and Ahsoka together with just the right amount of crazy force stuff also goes a long way towards letting me forgive what appear to be gaps in the writing.

And let's face it, it's not proper Star Wars unless there's a handful of things that make you just throw up your hands and say WTF at the screen.

With all that being said, it's going to be wild to have Andor season 2 come in and blow this show out of the water for me (despite my overt Thrawn fanboying) despite its hands being tied behind its back due to the WGA and SAG strikes disrupting things.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

thrawn527 posted:

That was some drat good Star Wars.

Agreed! My only complaint is WHERE THE gently caress IS ZEB!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i love hayden, and i'm glad they got tem to voice the clone instead of the repulsive american guy from the cartoons.

unfortunately the half hour in force limbo just served as background lore instead of character development, because the show hadn't bothered to establish what ahsoka's character issues were! i think they should stop letting dave filoni write anything because he's a no-talent furry 😔

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I mean they kind of clunkily told us her issues in the fight between her and Baylan the previous episode, that she's been blinded by her experience at war/tutelage under Anakin into only seeking confrontation, and maybe at a stretch we can see that in the training of Sabine being largely martial focused and strict.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 13, 2023

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
I will say one thing about the latest ep, young Ahsoka did a lot more with the character (and actually emoted) than Dawson. I usually like Rosario Dawson but her Ahsoka has been far too flat so far, I mean Hayden Christensen outacted her this episode and I was rather disappointed by her interaction with Anakin. That only changed with young(!) Ahsoka who did a great job with the little parts she had.

Besides that I think the whole "message" in that part was rather muddled. It's rather obvious what they were going for but I don't think they really landed it.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean they kind of clunkily told us her issues in the fight between her and Baylan the previous episode, that she's been blinded by her experience at war/tutelage under Anakin into only seeking confrontation, and maybe at a stretch we can see that in the training of Sabine being largely martial focused and strict.

You can definitely see what they were going for but I don't think the setup for it was there. You just need to have a very uncharitable interpretation of the events that happened so far because in which situation did Ahsoka really just seek a confrontation where an alternative was available?
You can say that she could have been more diplomatic with Baylan but that encounter wasn't really set up for a diplomatic resolution and it wasn't presented like Ahsoka was eager to fight.
Now one could argue that Ahsoka's training of Sabine could reflect that whole "only trained to fight" theme but that hinges so much on a uncharitable interpretation of usual TV tropes/shortcuts as well as the circumstances.
So on one hand many people here go all "this is cinemasins criticism" if you point out how misplaced Jacen is but on the other hand we are to judge Ahsoka for giving a grown adult (who is already a "soldier" and in real danger of being involved in a fight) lightsaber fighting?
My other big issue with this episode is that Ahsoka's experience/lesson doesn't directly connect in this ep. I certainly don't see that she needed it for the whole space whale thing, that's something she could have done before.
The big outcome of this experience will probably be how she interacts with the "dark Jedis", ie that's the obvious payoff for this experience but that's why these things should be closer together and not be seperated by different episodes.
This of course can't happen due to the way the plot is set up but it delays the payoff and thus makes the whole experience in this episode look out of place, especially because the show didn't really do enough to justify that Ahsoka has any issues with always rushing into confrontations.
I'd say it did somewhat show that she has issues in connecting/trusting others, ie Sabine, but that isn't really what was adressed with that experience.

I'm also not sure why they decided (adult) Ahsoka should beat Anakin in the lightsaber fight AFTER trying to convey the whole lesson of "confrontation/war bad". After young Ahsoka I genuinely thought the payoff would be that she STOPS fighting him and just tries to talk (on a more personal level) to him but instead she wins and they focus on the "die or live" thing which once again seems at odds with everything else, at least if you frame the option "choosing to live" as "fighting to live".
So what is it, fighting (confrontation) or trying other options, ie "choosing to let things play out even if it means possible death"?

So for me this was thematically just all over the place. I did like that they brought up the "child soldier" angle and seeing young Ahsoka in live action shows even more just how messed up it was but at the same time I feel they didn't go far enough which might be down to the fact that this is still a Disney show because the war imagery, especially with wounded/dead Clone troopers should have gone a lot further (dito for the victims/opposition of the war) though the biggest issue is that the "lesson" from all of that just didn't land from my perspective. The whole "die or live" angle is just so at odds with it because the easiest justification for war (fighting) is often that there is no other option if you want to live so I really don't understand why they went in that direction.

I do appreciate that this episode was finally at least TRYING to say something and have an actual theme but the execution was certainly mixed. Future eps can of course salvage it, the setup for a payoff with the "dark Jedi" is of course there and maybe they will do a better job of exploring the change/lesson with Ahsoka (beyond her now being Ahsoka the white).

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Vinylshadow posted:

Love that they brought in the "Anakin switching between himself and Vader" idea
While I like some of the other interpretations of Ahsoka's experience, I saw it as that really being Anakin and liked that even there in the afterlife he struggles between those parts of himself: Anakin and Vader..

Infact, I want to see an episode in any series dedicated to exploring that.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LinkesAuge posted:

I'm also not sure why they decided (adult) Ahsoka should beat Anakin in the lightsaber fight AFTER trying to convey the whole lesson of "confrontation/war bad". After young Ahsoka I genuinely thought the payoff would be that she STOPS fighting him and just tries to talk (on a more personal level) to him but instead she wins and they focus on the "die or live" thing which once again seems at odds with everything else, at least if you frame the option "choosing to live" as "fighting to live".
So what is it, fighting (confrontation) or trying other options, ie "choosing to let things play out even if it means possible death"?

Yeah I don't think they really thought through the implications of the fight very well either. But like Obi-Wan has already done the, 'if you strike me down,' thing and Luke has already seen the good still in him, what thematically appropriate gesture is even left? I would simply not have had a lightsaber duel.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah the message about fighting rings hollow for me because I can't think of a time when she took it over a more prudent course of action (outside of her early days as an inexperienced Padawan). While you could see that Ahsoka was carrying a lot of emotional weight it didn't feel like she was avoiding life or seeking out death. She'd made connections and friends and it wasn't like she'd set herself on some foolish crusade where her death was her desired outcome. If she was acting like a deathseeker it would have landed a lot better.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'm not sure what flaw in Ahsoka's character within the show that the whole sequence was attempting to address. The message it seems want to send is that Ahsoka is haunted by her upbringing as basically a child soldier solving everything by fighting and that she needs to move past it, but at no point previously in the show does it feel like she hasn't already done that long ago.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah I don't think they really thought through the implications of the fight very well either. But like Obi-Wan has already done the, 'if you strike me down,' thing and Luke has already seen the good still in him, what thematically appropriate gesture is even left? I would simply not have had a lightsaber duel.

What is left is the option that is a lot harder to convey/explore, ie a more realistic and less moralistic stance that sometimes it is right to fight and sometimes it isn't, that there are no simple, easy answers, that life can be messy and unfair and that we have to find a path between all that chaos (darkness) despite all of it.
That would also allow you to connect it back to the whole "child soldier" angle. You of course need to be careful to not indirectly justify it with "pragmatism". You acknowledge the bad/messed up parts and what effects that can have on everyone and that the means don't always justify the ends (there was certainly no reason why a Jedi THAT young had to fight in a war) but at the same time that you can always try to find a new path, that you don't need to be a slave of the past, that you can do something to free yourself from it.
I mean people were always highlighting TLJ's theme of "let the past die" though really just on the surface level but I don't think that's a "good" message either because it implies the past needs to die but you can't just "move past it" (like someone said, it smells of "just don't be depressed"), it's just not that easy (especially here in the context of a traumatized child soldier). A more mature message would be to actually deal with your past and work on trying to develop a life that you wish to live and be the person you want to be (something actual therapy often aims towards).
That of course brings me to another point that is at odds with "lessons" like in this episode. It's doing the storytelling trope of "character has a big revelation and becomes a new person". I don't always mind it and I won't even argue that people can't have such "moments" but I kinda despise it in the context of trauma because it's too much of a cheap shortcut.
If you want to REALLY deal with serious trauma then the "solution" needs to be as big/complicated as the cause itself and that means there is no "easy lesson" to resolve trauma and suggesting there is always irks me. It not only diminishes how serious such trauma is but also how hard it is to deal with it. A lesson of "there is no wise advice that will just easily solve your problems" would even fit the character of Anakin, someone who had a very "complex" life and didn't end his journey as result of some wise philosophical speech, his end was connected to a deeply personal and emotional relationship. So the "lesson" shouldn't have been something Anakin said or some philosophical "lesson" Ahsoka gets out of it, it should have been the resolution of their relationship, the trauma they shared and how it messed up both of them but that they are now there for each other. That would even connect to how Ahsoka couldn't form a lasting relationship with Sabine, that they both did their own thing instead of staying together.
Another edit: The core "theme" for Anakin/Ahsoka should have been EMOTIONS (relationships) over words (ie more "Jedi lessons") because that would strike at the heart of the prequel Jedi issue, ie the whole repression of relationships, how that is (to an extent) reflected in Ahsoka/Sabine and how the relationship between Anakin and Ahsoka was always a refutation of the "old" Jedi ways and Anakin's relationship and how he supported her were one of his biggest redeeming qualities.

The question however is if the show/the recent episode even REALLY wanted to deal with trauma because they certainly didn't set it up before. We didn't see Ahsoka struggle with bad war memories/dreams or that there were any other indications so it feels like they didn't want to show Ahsoka as "traumatized" but still pay lipservice to the whole "child soldier" thing.
One can of course argue that they already dealt with that (to a small extent at least) in TCW but that's the problem if you want to bring in a new audience and bring this topic up.
So to me it seems like a big missed opportunity that they didn't use the whole "child soldier/war trauma" angle in the earlier episodes, it would even have helped to reframe the conflict between Ahsoka/Sabine, ie Ahsoka is training the next generation of "Soldiers" and that even after the Clone Wars, after defeating the Empire, she is still a "soldier" training more people to become soldiers and that's why she struggles with her role as Master and how to effectively train Sabine (or was even the reason why she decided to stop training her).
All of that would have been a perfect anker for the show, especially considering that the presented flaws of the New Republic mirror many of the flaws that the Galactic Republic had so you could have tied Ahsoka's prequel/Clone Wars experiences into that too. That's two strong and interesting angles to explore instead of the emptiness we currently have.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 13, 2023

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Ironically the New Republic's flaws as presented are actually that they're not willing to confront the obvious build-up of counter-revolutionary forces, which muddles the themes even more.

If I were writing this show Anakin would have convinced her that his fall to the dark side was because of the war loving him up emotionally and not because of his love and that she should stop denying her feelings for Sabine. That the reason she lost was because they split up. There's at least a lot more to that theme shown and not told to us over the previous 4 episodes.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah the message about fighting rings hollow for me because I can't think of a time when she took it over a more prudent course of action (outside of her early days as an inexperienced Padawan). While you could see that Ahsoka was carrying a lot of emotional weight it didn't feel like she was avoiding life or seeking out death. She'd made connections and friends and it wasn't like she'd set herself on some foolish crusade where her death was her desired outcome. If she was acting like a deathseeker it would have landed a lot better.

She doesn't visually have much in the way of real friends.

Rebels just has her wandering around doing her own thing as Fulcrum unless there's specific Jedi stuff to do, where she just kind of pops in and out to help Ezra and Kanan. She's also far more stoic and flat and doesn't really open up to anyone or show emotion until she fights Vader.

In this show, in a bubble, she is shown to be wandering around by herself (okay, with a droid), again, doing her own thing. It established that she attempted to train someone else in Jedi poo poo, had a falling out, and was isolated due to that.

It wasn't until she was Ahsoka the White that she's finally acting like she did in Clone Wars again.

It was obviously a choice to have her act so stoic and reserved until now, and now have her liven up and be freed to show actual emotion. Now whether that choice was enjoyable TV to have your protagonist as flat as Episode 1 Jedi for half of your show...that's something else.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This was an OK episode (if Pullo isn't in a scene, everyone should be asking etc.), Anakin was nice even for someone uncultured enough to not have seen the animated shows, and I liked the space whales. Maybe more adorable than cute, but still :glomp:

I thought the fight scene worked for what it was meant to show, Ahsoka the White didn't strike Ani down, she just disabled him (or that was how it looked to me), he turned off his saber because she chose the peaceful way with :iit:-Vader, and now she has hope. And she actually mellowed out after that!, as mentioned upthread. Forcespeed, Ahsoka the Smiling, IMO.

Parkingtigers posted:

Also, baby Ahsoka was the same actress who played baby Gamora in Infinity War 5 years ago. That kid's got a bright future.

:ibadpop: So that's why she looked oddly familiar, thanks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I want to like this show, but the pacing has been glacial at best and to me Ahsoka comes off as too much of a cypher as a character. I did not watch the earlier animated series but I’m sure that she wasn’t like that at all before or people wouldn’t care about her. The Anakin stuff was surprisingly good, but everything else just felt dull.

A lot of this feels like them dragging out a story to 8 episodes that doesn’t need to be that long.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Marsupial Ape posted:

Jesus Christ, you can’t even intimate a person doesn’t deserve the comforts of civilization if they refuse to cohabitate correctly with other humans, anymore.

I don’t want you dead, I just want you to not know hearth or roof ever again.

so just to clarify your position here, anyone who posts negatively about live action cartoon show Ashoka within 24 hours of airdate deserves homelessness. I guess that’s one way to learn to use public spaces

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I wonder if this will be our explanation for why Ahsoka was absent for so many years.

Darko posted:

In this show, in a bubble, she is shown to be wandering around by herself (okay, with a droid), again, doing her own thing. It established that she attempted to train someone else in Jedi poo poo, had a falling out, and was isolated due to that.
The thing she is doing is searching for one of her friends though and while her training of Sabine didn't work out the fact it happened at all suggests some desire for connections.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's simple, Anankin gave her a choice. Live and get some enlightenment, or loving die.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The thing she is doing is searching for one of her friends though and while her training of Sabine didn't work out the fact it happened at all suggests some desire for connections.
Moreover, it suggests that it wasn't Sabine's fault the training failed.

It was Ahsoka's fear that she would perpetuate the war-hardened solider mentality she learned from Anakin to Sabine.

Rejoining her rekindled that fear hence the need for this "lesson".

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Ahsoka trained Sabine wrong, as a joke

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cheesus posted:

Moreover, it suggests that it wasn't Sabine's fault the training failed.

It was Ahsoka's fear that she would perpetuate the war-hardened solider mentality she learned from Anakin to Sabine.

Rejoining her rekindled that fear hence the need for this "lesson".

Sabine had already been an Imperial cadet, a bounty hunter and a member of the Rebellion by the time the training started though, on top of coming from a family with connections to the extremist elements of a warlike society. I think the ship might have sailed on Sabine being used to fighting.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Well, the fanservice was fun at least.

Kind of getting mixed signals with regards to Force usage. It may be something everyone can connect to, but at this point there's good evidence for some sort of genetic component. Makes me think the Jedi no-intimacy rules exist for Discworld wizard celibacy reasons more than anything else.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I don't want to train another child soldier:
Ok but like the just four seasons I've been just that plus I'm also imperial/mandalorian trained soldier soldier.
Yeah but now that you're an adult, no more child soldiers!

Meanwhile Jacen is on his mom's warship tagging along on Jedi hunting

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Well, the fanservice was fun at least.

Kind of getting mixed signals with regards to Force usage. It may be something everyone can connect to, but at this point there's good evidence for some sort of genetic component. Makes me think the Jedi no-intimacy rules exist for Discworld wizard celibacy reasons more than anything else.

Ya, that's also a dimension of recent Star Wars I don't like. More and more movies/shows heavily rely on force powers being a genetic component/inheritable. The original was of course not free from it but at least implied that it was unlikely or if it happened something exceptional, ie that the Skywalker-lineage is "special" because it happened at all (and in isolation you could always interpret the Skywalker-line as the force actively "picking" them, not that it was "inherited" in an actual biological way, they were the literal chosen ones, just like in old fantasy stories where a hero is picked by the gods).
If "the force" could just be inherited you'd expect to see a galaxy dominated by force-lineages and/or force breeding programs and that includes the Jedi because why look for kids with Jedi talents if it's that easy to inherit force abilities.
Besides that you also face the issue of a simple revolutionary question because if force powers are inheritable then why wouldn't the galaxy consist of just force sensitive people? I mean the amount of advantages force powers give you is kinda overwhelming, from an (implied) increased lifespan to physical and mental/psychic powers it has kinda everything.
It would even create a huge ethical dilemma because if force powers could be inherited/gained through genetic means then it would be cruel to only grant a tiny group of people these powers.

It's btw a reason why I hate the baby yoda-cloning plot in the Mandalorian, it's another asinine attempt at trying to treat force powers as a "physical" thing instead of keeping it as a mystical power.
All that achieves is making me questions why noone did that earlier in the Star Wars universe all these tens of thousands of years before.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 13, 2023

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

LinkesAuge posted:

Ya, that's also a dimension of recent Star Wars I don't like. More and more movies/shows heavily rely on force powers being a genetic component/inheritable. The original was of course not free from it but at least implied that it was unlikely or if it happened something exceptional, ie that the Skywalker-lineage is "special" because it happened at all (and in isolation you could always interpret the Skywalker-line as the force actively "picking" them, not that it was "inherited" in an actual biological way, they were the literal chosen ones, just like in old fantasy stories where a hero is picked by the gods).
If "the force" could just be inherited you'd expect to see a galaxy dominated by force-lineages and/or force breeding programs and that includes the Jedi because why look for kids with Jedi talents if it's that easy to inherit force abilities.
Besides that you also face the issue of a simple revolutionary question because if force powers are inheritable then why wouldn't the galaxy consist of just force sensitive people? I mean the amount of advantages force powers give you is kinda overwhelming, from an (implied) increased lifespan to physical and mental/psychic powers it has kinda everything.
It would even create a huge ethical dilemma because if force powers could be inherited/gained through genetic means then it would be cruel to only grant a tiny group of people these powers.

It's btw a reason why I hate the baby yoda-cloning plot in the Mandalorian, it's another asinine attempt at trying to treat force powers as a "physical" thing instead of keeping it as a mystical power.
All that achieves is making me questions why noone did that earlier in the Star Wars universe all these tens of thousands of years before.

The Jedi order would have rather taken kids with high abilities than force nepo babies.
Can't fault them for that

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think Dawson has been a bit wooden so far but I'm hoping that was intended in order to show her growth in learning to not treat every situation as a possible fight.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Stegosnaurlax posted:

The Jedi order would have rather taken kids with high abilities than force nepo babies.
Can't fault them for that

The latest and greatest Jedi character, Neppo Fael'sun.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I needed a short, "I'm sorry, Sidious manipulated me about the order and Padme dying... my bad." "Also Mace Windu was kind of a prick"

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

XYZAB posted:

No orthodontia on Tatooine.

LinkesAuge posted:

I mean people were always highlighting TLJ's theme of "let the past die" though really just on the surface level but I don't think that's a "good" message either because it implies the past needs to die but you can't just "move past it" (like someone said, it smells of "just don't be depressed"), it's just not that easy (especially here in the context of a traumatized child soldier). A more mature message would be to actually deal with your past and work on trying to develop a life that you wish to live and be the person you want to be (something actual therapy often aims towards).

“Let the past die” was the overt position of the facist incel dark-side guy. TLJ’s themes were summed up in the “everybody left is in the Falcon” scene where Rey has the ancient Jedi texts, Leia, and all her new friends, followed by us seeing kids telling the story of Luke’s heroism and being inspired by it to stand up to tyrrany and save their friends with awesome broom-related force powers.

TLJ didn’t really nail the Dark-side Rey message, though, in the same way I think Ahsoka is struggling. I believe there’s some underlying attempt to understand past trauma, fear, hatred, etc as driving people to the dark side, meaning that dealing with those past traumas in healthier ways than hatred would be vital if you wanted to be light side. In other words, Jedi shouldn’t be expected to avoid all trauma and fear, because that’s impossible; they need to deal with those things and put themselves into balance.

I don’t know if it’s Lucas’ hippie youth or his possible experience with marriage counselors that drove him to give us a galaxy where therapy is as unknown as writing on paper, but the result seems to be a claim that you just deal with major life trauma internally by meditating, perhaps in line with Star Wars treating major injuries as “bacta tank, and then walk it off” despite featuring Darth Vader, defined by pain and injury beyond the ability to heal.

It isn’t just this show, it’s the setting in general that has very little idea about how people recover from trauma and how trauma and physical injury can shape the rest of your life. Though I suppose Star Trek isn’t much better; at least it acknowledges that psychology and therapy exist and have value, even if it criminally undersells them, like establishing “ship’s counselor” as a Starfleet position and then only ever having one character on one ship in that position and shifting half the scenes of her doing work to the ship’s bartender.

I guess with Ahsoka, I feel like the show cares more about Star Wars, the setting, and is using characters to tell us about Star Wars, where Andor cares about people and is using both setting and characters to tell us about people.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ahsoka is dueling Anakin in the force realm. During a payday in the battle, Andor walks up.

Anakin: You're not a force user... how did you get in here?
Andor(shaky, looking around furtively): You just walk in like you belong.
Anakin: It takes more than that.
Andor: What? To become one with the force? What do you need? A robe, a bad haircut, and a lightsaber. They're so proud of themselves, they don't even care. They're so enlightened, they can't imagine it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Loved the shift to Ahsoka the White after she comes out of the World Between Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I really enjoyed episode 5. I totally get the criticisms about the pacing, but it just hasn't bothered me as much as others, I guess.

That said, this episode really felt like an ode to George Lucas more than anything we've seen from Star Wars since he stopped being involved. The way everything was shot, blocked and lit was so Lucas-y that it almost felt like he was involved again. I mean this is an incredibly complimentary way, because it was like a perfect distillation of his form of spectacle at its best. Ironically (considering how Lucas-y I said it was), this was also the least wooden dialog the show has delivered so far, and felt closer to the snappier dialog from Filoni's two other shows.

I'm anxious to see now that Ashoka has had her final lesson, if Rosario's take on the character also softens and feels more like the Ashoka we saw in the flashbacks or the earlier animated series.

The New Republic is also comically inept. Even more so than the books made it out to be.

EDIT: I also have to say I am a sucker for any spaceship-heavy scenes, and the little search and rescue really did it for me. Something about X-Wings hovering with search lights on seemed so cool.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 13, 2023