Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

adary posted:

Last but not the least is this little thing

When I got it it seemed like a great idea, but i guess it's hard to teach old dog new tricks, and i find it extremely hard to use it (for now)

I picked up a split ergo recently (rgbkb sol 1, secondhand) recently for very cheap, and it changed my life. Genuinely hard for me to use anything else now, combined with a trackball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
What is the name of it?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Every time I'm tempted to get a split ergo, I look at the B placement, which I normally hit with my right hand...

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

god please help me posted:

What is the name of it?

https://keeb.io Iris (if that's what you referred to)

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Artelier posted:

Every time I'm tempted to get a split ergo, I look at the B placement, which I normally hit with my right hand...

Guess that's why all Alice layouts have B on both sides

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Artelier posted:

that's why you switch to colemak, then it'll be nice and consistent because nothing is where you normally hit it

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Artelier posted:

ErgoDox EZ has extra buttons next to the split, you could configure one of them as extra B. But with orthogonal layout you would probably adjust to using it with your left since it's so much closer.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
So in my infinite clumsiness I spilled apple juice all over my 5 year old Varmillo va88m. Took it apart, put the keycaps in soapy water and trying to get isopropyl alcohol for the main body. Any other suggestions on what I should do?

In the case I'm not able to un-sticky it, are there any recommendations for a TKL (preferably available in the UK) that might be an upgrade to the va88m?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

adary posted:

https://keeb.io Iris (if that's what you referred to)

Thanks! I like the way RGB looks on it, and I'm curious about if a split keyboard would be more comfortable for me. :)

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

god please help me posted:

Thanks! I like the way RGB looks on it, and I'm curious about if a split keyboard would be more comfortable for me. :)

Keebio have a bunch of different split keyboards.

Ortho is something i'm still dabbling with, but i'm definitely interested in these two as well:

https://keeb.io/collections/sinc

https://keeb.io/collections/kbo-5000-split-staggered-80-keyboard

More of a traditional keyboard, but also split and with tenting options available

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

The problems I ran into with split ergo is that there's a decent amount of options out there, but :

a) a bunch you need practical skills (mostly soldering) to finish the build
b) a lot a terribly expensive

I understand the price tag on them, but compared to say a 60% or TKL layout with a lot of now cheap options to at least try the layout, it feels kinda poo poo to throw someone at a wall and tell them to spend 200+ dollars every time they want to try a new one, usually before keycaps or switches.

Realistically point a) isn't too big of a hurdle to get over, it's mostly point b) that makes it a bit harder.

That said, like I said earlier, poo poo changed my life. Not having to move your hands as much feels great to me. Hell, the Alice layout keyboard also does wonder for me. YMMV

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Oh hey I bought the Sinc a ways back. It's really only worth it if you ditch the FR4 plates and either make your own/buy the acrylic. Honestly, I regret buying it because I'm going to have to desolder every drat switch to fix this on my own, and I just don't have that kinda time

I like the Sofle v2, but as Reoxygenation pointed out: it's 'spensive.

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 15, 2023

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I found transitioning from the Kinesis advantage 2 to the Dactyl Manuform was super easy, tbh

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The plus side of being too obsessed with keyboards a long time ago is having spares when you spill a drink on the one you're currently using. It was just water and I disconnected it immediately so I'm hopeful it'll be good to go after dousing it with contact cleaner, but it's a first gen Corsair K70 and they really seemed to have made those a pain in the rear end to disassemble.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Artelier posted:

I did some crossovers like this too, and honestly fixing that was probably the easiest adjustment of all. It's getting used to a columnar layout that really takes some time.

Reoxygenation posted:

a) a bunch you need practical skills (mostly soldering) to finish the build
b) a lot a terribly expensive

This is very true. If you're just screwing around or want to try something different, you're gonna need to ask yourself pretty hard if this is worth it.

But if you're having finger/wrist/shoulder(even back!) troubles from a normal keyboard arrangement, you should very seriously consider a split board. I cannot overstate how big of a difference it made for me, all the aches and pains of typing are long gone, plus I'm way faster now. Faster at normal typing, but most especially faster at programming (no more slow and annoying contortions for basic programming symbols). As a professional computer toucher, it was genuinely life changing.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

It's all personal but honestly even for me an Alice layout still does me wonders. I still think that split is probably better, though it depends on preference, etc etc, but not having to get my drat hands essentially on top of each other makes a noticeable difference.

Really noticed it when I tried to mix and match usage of my Planck with my split / Alice. Like I can feel the strain. Though I'll say that getting used to columnar was very easy for me to adjust to.

(Personally getting a trackball is what helped me the most with my back pains, but using something that is more "ergo" in design in terms of keyboard certainly did not hurt)

Small (semi related) rant, but I feel like WPM is greatly overblown as a measure of how good of a fit a keyboard is for someone. It just seems to be the end all be all (together with sound) for a keyboard and I gotta ask, why??? Most people that talk about this seem to be people who press wasd because they play video games almost exclusively with their keyboard. Like yeah if you're a programmer or a professional typist but like I don't understand why your WPM matters so much if all you play is League of Legends and the 10 2 sentences emails you write per day????

Taffer posted:

As a professional computer toucher,

this made me laugh a lot thank you

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did anyone else order the 8bitdo keyboard? Mine is set to arrive today.

Captain Muffin
Apr 25, 2007

Women like you are the reason this chickens late in the first place.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did anyone else order the 8bitdo keyboard? Mine is set to arrive today.

Review please! I nearly did but then got a speeding ticket so ran out of money... I wanted to use one of the giant buttons to trigger a script to send memes to a co-worker. Which one did you go for?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I went with the NES style instead of the Famicom one. Would have gone for a SNES one if they released that, I love that gray and two tone purple aesthetic.

This is my second mechanical keyboard. My first is a Keychron K2 with blue switches.

The 8bitdo is super nice so far! It’s got a nice heft to it. It really reminds me of a high quality keyboard from the late 80s or early 90s. White switches, far quieter than the blues I’m used to. If I worked in office, I’d be far more comfortable bringing this in than my K2. No RGB, it has a couple small white LEDs for caps lock and the programmable key function. The on indicator is a big red LED, very appropriate for the vintage theme. It doesn’t seem like the kind of keyboard made for hardcore PC gaming, despite using a game console aesthetic.

I haven’t used the software yet, but you can program simple commands on the programmable keys without it. And they carry over from computer to computer. I programmed copy and paste on my work laptop and switched to my gaming PC as a test and it kept the same programming. I’m looking forward to seeing what other people do with the programmable keys because copy and paste seem to be the only thing I can think of. I might get a second one for undo.

The 2.4g dongle magnetically affixes itself to the storage slot. None of the other 8bitdo controllers with 2.4g dongles do that. It’s a nice touch.

Edit: I thought it would use the Ultimate controller software but apparently it'll use a different keyboard software that will release later this month.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 20, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

That's good to hear, I've had some issues with their controllers (very minor and not even worth ranting about) but if their keyboards are good, then that's nice, especially at that price point and with those aesthetics.

What profile are the keycaps it comes with? It seems to be a high profile like SA but I can't find that info anywhere on the specs

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Reoxygenation posted:

That's good to hear, I've had some issues with their controllers (very minor and not even worth ranting about) but if their keyboards are good, then that's nice, especially at that price point and with those aesthetics.

What profile are the keycaps it comes with? It seems to be a high profile like SA but I can't find that info anywhere on the specs

I'm relatively new to mechanical keyboards so I don't know what profile is what, so here's a photograph I took:

mewse
May 2, 2006

looks like SA profile to me

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What are some non-cherry switches that are similar to Cherry MX Black?

Captain Muffin
Apr 25, 2007

Women like you are the reason this chickens late in the first place.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I went with the NES style instead of the Famicom one. Would have gone for a SNES one if they released that, I love that gray and two tone purple aesthetic.

Thanks for this! This is feeling like a decent keyboard for me next year in the office and for throwing in my luggage for taking to site visits. I like to take just my laptop on site but in the evenings working in hotels I usually have an external 2nd monitor and the laptop on a stand so I can have some attempt at a desk two monitor setup (software devs so needy)

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

What are some non-cherry switches that are similar to Cherry MX Black?
Gateron Oil Kings, Gateron G Pro 3.0 Black, JWick Black V2... I think all of these are a bit lighter than Cherry Blacks though.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I was looking for a wireless white mechanical keyboard and gave Logitech G715 a try (coming from an old Ducky) and I'm liking it a lot

feels very solid and good to type on and the wireless dongle works perfectly. I even like the wave RGB effect though it fucks up and resets sometimes. it doesnt look nearly as girly as in the pictures. also the font on the keys is really nice

I'm not sure if it's worth the 200 bucks but it seemed better to trust the logitech wireless tech than Royal Kludge or Keychron

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm relatively new to mechanical keyboards so I don't know what profile is what, so here's a photograph I took:

I'll have to agree with mewse and say that just straight up looks like SA. If so, kind of a very good deal at the price point that keyboard is at, because a a good set of keycaps in SA profile can run higher than the whole rear end keyboard they're selling :v:

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 22, 2023

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Got my K70 back together and it seems to be completely fine after a spill. Those DataVac air blowers are a godsend for cleaning electronics; because the board, switches and top plate are all soldered together as one piece I just tossed the whole thing in the sink with soapy water and was able to give it a much needed scrubbing. A motorized blower works great for completely blasting away most of the water from the space between the circuit board and frame.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
For my sticky keyboard I ended up rinsing it out and then basically dumping isopropanol on it. Drained it out after and left it to dry and it all works. A few keys are still a tiny bit sticky which I'll probably just dab a bit more alcohol on while actuating them but other than that it's all good.

I probably got slightly drunk from the fumes though.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If anyone's interested in picking up a HHKB, I've got a hybrid pro in white with a USA layout listed on samart. If you're not familiar with the models, the hybrid connects over usbc or bluetooth, it supports 4 different BT pairings and runs off 2 AA batteries when wireless

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042557

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Okay, which one of you is responsible for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTbEdZ-zH78

.Z. fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 25, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

I don't know but I want it.

e: just looked at the price. I was honestly expecting like a thousand bucks, but this seems to be within range of expensive-ish custom keyboards? drat. Might gently caress around

Reoxygenation fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 25, 2023

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That’s wild.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The 8Bitdo board is really, really good for $100. It comes with clicky white switches but man it just feels good to type on and looks cool as gently caress

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
What if a mechanical keyboard but in the form factor of an accordion?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the grabshell looks amazing, i hope it does well. I don't think it'll be good to use, but it is a novel approach and that should be applauded.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Hey all. Been on the look out for a fullsize board/one with a numpad and my fiancee sent me this tiktok she saw.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7281339192842439978

Are any of these in particular worth looking into and/or ones to avoid?

I'm looking for something that is able to make a deep knocky sound (which also unfortunately means I'll probably have to go for linear switches too, but the sound)

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
Alright I impulse-bought an 8bitdo keyboard and it looks ace but it's far too clicky for me. Reading through the OP (and then googling briefly) I'm considering getting some gateron-pretending-to-be-cherry either brown or clear switches; is that reasonable or are there far superior options now?

I'm going to for something not too loud but not squidgy; I guess my main question is whether gateron is a brand worth buying these days.

E: Pulled the trigger anyway; I have some blacks and some clears heading my way so I can tinker and see what I like.

PatentPending fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 26, 2023

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

PatentPending posted:

Alright I impulse-bought an 8bitdo keyboard and it looks ace but it's far too clicky for me. Reading through the OP (and then googling briefly) I'm considering getting some gateron-pretending-to-be-cherry either brown or clear switches; is that reasonable or are there far superior options now?

I'm going to for something not too loud but not squidgy; I guess my main question is whether gateron is a brand worth buying these days.

Gaterons are good and in some cases superior to Cherry switches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Gateron yellow pro linears (white top black base) are one of my favorite switches lately. Also their blues are pretty good