Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
does that mean people have been unretiring too, since the start of the year. and no one's studying anymore

seems mild and sustainable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jesus Christ.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

I don’t understand this chart? what’s the y axis? -200k people as carers are people leaving or entering the workforce? Is it a double negative?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
It's confusing but my read is that 400kish have left the workforce due to longterm illness. 200kish have left carer roles. Not clear to me if "carer" means doctor/nurses or home health aids or w/e.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
ALL the Data points included in this....why did i spend the time to do this?

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The numbers in that chart aren't absolute, they represent a rate of change. Positive/above the line = more people than expected, negative/below the line = fewer people than expected.

So it shows a slight decrease in people retiring relative to expected numbers.

E: actually, it shows a slight increase in people retiring from early 2021 to early 2023, at which point the trend reverses and slightly fewer people are retiring than expected. Which makes sense if you consider that anyone who could retire early did, meaning a lot of those 2021-2022 retirees are now absent from their 'expected' retiring spot in 2023.

And then the carer line is weird, but what the graph represents is 'fewer and fewer people used caring for another person as a reason to miss work, a trend which peaked in early 2021, at which point the trend reversed with more and more people citing it as a reason they missed work, a trend which peaked in mid-2022 before reversing, and now we have the same number of 'missing' carers as we did at the last peak in 2021'. Again, remember that 'fewer and fewer' and 'more and more' here are not absolute numbers, but 'more/fewer than expected'.

And on the other side, there's a slight uptick in people (going back to?) study versus expected numbers, and then a huge increase in sick leave.

E: sorry, the more I look the more I see I missed initially. Study is now only slightly above normal, but it was a very large (positive) difference in 2021-2022 - in fact, it's almost exactly the inverse of the carer trendline, so much so that I wonder if what happened was that people were reducing work hours (or quitting) to go back to study, and then they were also providing care around their (more flexible) study schedule. So they were actually both studying and being carers, but their official reason for quitting/reducing hours was to study, so it's skewing the numbers.

I unfortunately can't look into what the change is actually relative to right now, but I'm sure someone itt will be able to dig it up.

HazCat has issued a correction as of 12:21 on Sep 13, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Petey posted:

I don’t understand this chart? what’s the y axis? -200k people as carers are people leaving or entering the workforce? Is it a double negative?

Baseline is Feb 2020, while the numbers denotes (seasonally adjusted) change relative to that. So as an example the data behind the graphic for long-term illness is:
May-Jul 2022 - 2.464k (note that this data point is not the start of the graphic)
May-Jul 2023 - 2.604k

E.g. a total change of 140k.

Looking after family (e.g. carers):
May-Jul 2022 - 1.722k
May-Jul 2023 - 1.555k

A change of -167k.

Essentially it is a graph showing the "success" of Brexit, combined with the longer term impacts of COVID. Hence the unretiring of (sub age 65) people, the drop in carers and the increase in long-term illness. People are poorer and sicker.

Half the data set (there was a change in 2022, so it is broken up), can be found here:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentan...djustedinac01sa

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

so, say someone received the original pfizer series, a pfizer OG booster ASAP, a moderna bivalent booster ASAP, and then, three months ago for the purpose of maternal passive immunity, a moderna bivalent booster.

should they run out and get an updated shot, or wait X months? unclear on the official guidance about this, as well as the "i understand that covid is bad and don't want to get deathly sick" guidance.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Insanite posted:

so, say someone received the original pfizer series, a pfizer OG booster ASAP, a moderna bivalent booster ASAP, and then, three months ago for the purpose of maternal passive immunity, a moderna bivalent booster.

should they run out and get an updated shot, or wait X months? unclear on the official guidance about this, as well as the "i understand that covid is bad and don't want to get deathly sick" guidance.

Nominally:

Pingui posted:

"CDC Recommends Updated COVID-19 Vaccine for Fall/Winter Virus Season"

quote:

If you have not received a COVID-19 vaccine in the past 2 months, get an updated COVID-19 vaccine to protect yourself this fall and winter.

Practically... I don't know what is or isn't allowed :shrug:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
An example of the practicalities of the rollout:

https://news.walgreens.com/press-center/walgreens-updated-covid-19-vaccine-appointments.htm posted:

Walgreens Now Offering Updated COVID-19 Vaccine Appointments

With the FDA and the CDC authorization for the new vaccines targeting newer coronavirus variants, Walgreens stands ready to provide critical access to COVID-19 vaccines for all eligible individuals. Individuals will be able to schedule appointments immediately, with available appointments starting nationwide on Monday, September 18. Earlier appointments may be added on a rolling basis as stores receive vaccines this week.

Appointments can be scheduled by visiting Walgreens.com/ScheduleVaccine, using the Walgreens app or calling 1-800-WALGREENS. Additional appointments will be added daily as inventory arrives at stores.

Our trusted pharmacy teams are prepared to help keep our communities protected by ensuring everyone gets the appropriate prevention, testing and treatment they need this respiratory illness season.

The CDC is contracting with select pharmacies, including Walgreens, to offer free COVID-19 vaccinations to uninsured and underinsured adults through the Bridge Access Program. Walgreens remains focused on driving equitable and convenient access to life-saving vaccines.

That to me reads like you should be able to get a free vaccine at Walgreens immediately, even if you are uninsured.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
For the picture:

https://www.ft.com/content/0589e1b9-ab6d-42b2-ba1d-e52f84923afd posted:

The rush to outpace Covid variants
At least three descendants of Omicron have scientists on alert and vaccination programmes speeding up

(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/moderna-scale-down-manufacturing-covid-vaccine-2023-09-13/ posted:

Moderna to scale down manufacturing of COVID vaccine
(..)
The downsizing, Hoge [ed. Moderna CEO] added, will help Moderna adjust to the endemic phase of the disease, which had led to falling demand for COVID vaccines as payers scale back orders for the shots.

Moderna predicted in August that U.S. demand for the vaccine would reach 50 to 100 million doses in the fall season. About 153.8 million COVID shots were administered in the United States in 2022, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
(..)
"Over the past couple of years, we've been in pandemic mode producing a billion doses a year," Hoge said. "We've been waiting for the moment when the pandemic was officially behind us that we would need to restructure that manufacturing footprint."
(..)
:coronatoot:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Finally endemic, for the third year

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The underlying news here is that Moderna expects a decent sized drop in vaccination rates :thumbsup:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
New school report out by The Center on Reinventing Public Education (CRPE) at Arizona State University:

https://crpe.org/wp-content/uploads/The-State-of-the-American-Student-2023.pdf posted:

The State of the American Student
We are failing older students: Bold ideas to change course
(..)

(..)

That's a :rubby: from me.

News report on the matter:

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2023/09/13/us-schools-failing-covid-generation-report-says/70835897007/ posted:

Scathing new report says American schools are ‘failing the COVID generation’

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

The underlying news here is that Moderna expects a decent sized drop in vaccination rates :thumbsup:

i mean, they're right

Pingui posted:

Nominally:

Practically... I don't know what is or isn't allowed :shrug:

tools, we, have, the

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Insanite posted:

i mean, they're right
(..)

They are, but I figured everyone here would enjoy that dire news item couched in "downsizing to adjust to endemic phase".

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Did I miss any information about potential updated Novavax availability in the last few pages? I saw that there’s a meeting on the 22nd, but it seems unclear when they’ll have the doses available. Or is this just one of those unknowable things?

Also my kid got better and tests negative and no one else in the house tested positive either. We didn’t even do positive air pressure, just isolated on different floors and wore effective masks (N95, P100) when near one another. Time to build a Corsi cube or two to prepare for the next round.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Further details on where and when to get a booster, cost, uninsured etc.:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/13/new-covid-vaccines-from-pfizer-and-moderna-what-you-need-to-know.html posted:

New Covid vaccines could reach Americans as soon as Thursday – here’s what you need to know
  • The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention cleared updated Covid vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna following approvals from the Food and Drug Administration.
  • Those single-strain mRNA shots are designed to target a relatively new omicron subvariant called XBB.1.5.
  • The new vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna will be administered at pharmacies, local health departments, health clinics, community centers and other vaccine distribution sites nationwide.
(..)
Where can you get a new shot?
The updated shots will soon be available to eligible people at pharmacies, health clinics and community centers, among other vaccine distribution sites. Those locations will stop offering last year’s bivalent boosters, which are no longer authorized for use in the U.S.

Several retail pharmacy chains told CNBC that they will start offering appointments for the new shots shortly after the CDC recommendation:

Walgreens
will allow people to schedule appointments for the new shots within 24 hours after the CDC recommendation, “with available appointments starting that week,” a company spokesperson said. People can schedule those appointments through the Walgreens website or app, or by calling 1-800-WALGREENS. The company will add more appointments on a rolling basis.
CVS
Pharmacy locations will start receiving supply of the updated vaccines “later this week,” a company spokesperson said. Pharmacies will receive more doses on a rolling basis and appointments will be available to schedule on the CVS website and CVS Pharmacy app.
Albertsons
expects its 1,700 pharmacies to begin administering the updated shots “as early as Friday,” a spokesperson said. The company’s pharmacies span stores like Safeway, Vons, Jewel-Osco, Shaw’s, Acme, Tom Thumb, Randalls, United Supermarkets, Pavilions, Star Market, Haggen, Carrs, Amigos and Market Street. People can view and schedule appointments on the Albertsons website or app.
Kroger
will allow people to walk in or schedule appointments to get the new Covid vaccine at the company’s pharmacies or clinics.

Americans will soon be able to use the federal website vaccines.gov to find other locations offering the updated Covid shots, according to a CDC spokesperson. The agency is still “unsure of the exact timing” for when the site will be updated to include a search filter for the new vaccines, the spokesperson added.

Later this week, uninsured and underinsured people will also be able to use the site to find locations offering the new vaccines for free through the Bridge Access Program. Around 85% of uninsured Americans live within five miles of a location participating in that program, according to the CDC’s Twentyman.

Will the updated shots be free?
There are slight changes to how Covid vaccines are covered in the U.S this year. But the federal government aims to ensure all people can still receive them for free.

The U.S. Covid public health emergency ended in May, which means the federal government is shifting vaccine distribution to the private market this fall.

Manufacturers will sell their updated shots directly to health-care providers at more than $120 per dose. Previously, the government purchased vaccines directly from manufacturers at a discount to distribute to all Americans for free.

All three vaccine manufacturers shared the list prices of their new vaccines during the advisory meeting on Tuesday: Moderna’s shot is $129 per dose, Pfizer’s is $120 per dose and Novavax’s jab is $130 per dose.

Private insurers will provide the vaccines to beneficiaries at no cost. Government payers such as Medicare and Medicaid will also cover the new shots with no co-payments.

For the estimated 30 million uninsured Americans, the Biden administration aims to offer shots for free through its “Bridge Access Program” at health centers, clinics and pharmacies across the U.S.

“We’re setting up the Bridge Access Program as a temporary solution to maintain access to Covid-19 vaccines, specifically in the short term,” said Dr. Evelyn Twentyman, a CDC medical officer, during the advisory meeting on Tuesday.

The program will begin as soon as vaccines have reached participating providers, which include CVS and Walgreens, according to Twentyman. Free vaccines through the program will not be available after December 2024.

The CDC’s Vaccines For Children program will also provide free Covid shots to children whose families or caretakers can’t afford them after the shots move to the commercial market.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Loucks posted:

Did I miss any information about potential updated Novavax availability in the last few pages? I saw that there’s a meeting on the 22nd, but it seems unclear when they’ll have the doses available. Or is this just one of those unknowable things?
(..)

Nominally they should have already been produced for delivery now. If they get the nod on the 22nd, I would expect it to be more or less immediately, barring manufacturing issues.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

So to be clear, and normally I shouldn't have to ask this but everything is so dumb that I figure it's best to ask:

I'm scheduling an appointment on CVS and this is the updated booster, right?

Normally I'd figure that yeah, it says 2023-2024 so it must be the updated booster but I've definitely learned to not assume anything!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Srice posted:

So to be clear, and normally I shouldn't have to ask this but everything is so dumb that I figure it's best to ask:

Normally I'd figure that yeah, it says 2023-2024 so it must be the updated booster but I've definitely learned to not assume anything!

Should be, but when you go in for your appointment, you can ask to look at the information on the vial and check that it is the monovalent. If it isn't you can just get up and walk out

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Srice posted:

Nominally (a word I will be using a lot in this context), the bivalent is no longer authorized for use in the US and so any dose administered post the CDC Director clearance, should be the updated monovalent shots. But like NeonPunk says, you should verify at the point of injection.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

New school report out by The Center on Reinventing Public Education (CRPE) at Arizona State University:

That's a :rubby: from me.

News report on the matter:

I didn't see what was funny about this but I checked the report and there are about a dozen mentions of AI including a paragraph on how it could revolutionize education or whatever. But as for COVID? Masks, air filtration, vaccines, long COVID, PASC, virus... zero mentions. Chronic absenteeism is mentioned but the reasons for it are mysterious.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

eXXon posted:

I didn't see what was funny about this but I checked the report and there are about a dozen mentions of AI including a paragraph on how it could revolutionize education or whatever. But as for COVID? Masks, air filtration, vaccines, long COVID, PASC, virus... zero mentions. Chronic absenteeism is mentioned but the reasons for it are mysterious.

I don't use :rubby: for funny things, it's more of a nihilistic cackling.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^^ haha yeah

eXXon posted:

I didn't see what was funny about this

lurk more :P

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NeonPunk posted:

Should be, but when you go in for your appointment, you can ask to look at the information on the vial and check that it is the monovalent. If it isn't you can just get up and walk out

Pingui posted:

Nominally (a word I will be using a lot in this context), the bivalent is no longer authorized for use in the US and so any dose administered post the CDC Director clearance, should be the updated monovalent shots. But like NeonPunk says, you should verify at the point of injection.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks! :cheerdoge:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Coworker walked into the office and was chatting with folks for 15 mins. Then his wife called to tell him she tested positive. My boss opened the door and was blasting air outside for a while at least, but I remain the sole masked person. So we'll see what happens!!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Have things reopened yet?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The biggest eye opener regarding the pandemic, for me, was not the deteriorating material conditions I'm living it, or the mass death. What really did me in was reading Barefoot Gen, a manga from the 70s about the aftermath of the hiroshima bombing. Because, you'd think the horrifying part would be the willa-wonka esque nightmare of melted bodies, all consuming firestorms, and losing half your family to burning rubble, but no. No, the horrifying part for me was that *after all of that*, the people who take Gen and his remaining family in have zero sympathy for his plight and demand he pay rent on time, and then later on land speculators start buying up land for cheap because the owners all died.

That for me is the nightmare, that when this is all over, nothing is going to change. Not a thing. The death we see now means nothing, was for nothing.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

It's going to be so nice to have a normal Christmas instead of a locked down masked zoom Christmas like everyone has had for the last three years

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

has anyone had success in getting RSV shots at least scheduled for infants, btw? we've been bugging our pediatrician about it for a while, but they keep pleading ignorance. :shrug:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

While I’m asking extremely basic questions I really should remember the answer to, delaying vax/boost post-infection is just because immune response tends to be better if one waits, no? I didn’t see this addressed in the op and have only found this paper linked from this CDC page in support of waiting so far. Trying to determine what to do about my recently infected middle schooler.

Pingui posted:

Nominally they should have already been produced for delivery now. If they get the nod on the 22nd, I would expect it to be more or less immediately, barring manufacturing issues.

Cool & thanks. Still trying to collect the complete set.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
https://twitter.com/laurieallee/status/1701748601372979341?s=20

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
just fyi, cvs is showing earlier appts now depending on location. last night was Monday and now I’m seeing Saturday.

however I am not able to schedule for my 6yr old and the pediatrician advised they don’t have them yet…

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Hey Covid friends! Haven't stopped in this thread in a while (Covid is long over, you know). But anyways, just signed up to get my Moderna booster on Saturday at CVS :toot:

Hope you're all well!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Fireside Nut posted:

Hey Covid friends! Haven't stopped in this thread in a while (Covid is long over, you know). But anyways, just signed up to get my Moderna booster on Saturday at CVS :toot:

Hope you're all well!

Breathing hard, thank you!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Waiting for the third bad thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/13/ocean-explorer-covid-cases-on-board-cruise-ship-grounded-off-greenland posted:

Two passengers with Covid on board cruise ship grounded off Greenland
Pair in isolation with virus, other passengers have been told, as Ocean Explorer remains stuck in Alpefjord national park

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I'll try to get the new vaccine news and guidance into the OP later today/tonight. posting for accountability

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

I don't use :rubby: for funny things, it's more of a nihilistic cackling.

... but it is ha ha.. haaaa... funny that the bold solutions to fixing education involve more AI, without addressing chronic absenteeism persisting after 2021. Even the guy who was supposed to look at long term effects of the pandemic is just tracking certain cohorts past 2021 as if COVID is just a lingering memory that isn't impacting students who started school in the last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Of course the future of education involves more ai. “Teacher” already has a lower skill floor than it did before the pandemic started. I moved to one of the best public school districts in my state and am still seeing bullshit worksheets and teachers incapable of operating canvas to keep grades straight. School corps will move to a panopticon model with only ai instruction and cops to keep order the moment they think they can do so and still inculcate submission to the interests of capital.