Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Jack Trades posted:

I just saw something incredibly weird but not unwelcome.

I bought a Ubisoft game, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, because I wanted something brainless to play and it was like 85% off or something, and it has the most bizarre gameplay option I've ever seen.
Upon starting a new game it asks you "Would you like to turn off the Gear Score loot treadmill?" and if you pick yes then they just completely remove the modern Gear Score bullshit from the game. It's just an option that's part of the difficulty customization.

I was really baffled by it but I do like not having to deal with constant loot sifting.

breakpoint was a complete disaster at launch and terrible as a sequel to Surprisingly Decent Video Game That Pissed Off The Bolivian Government, Ghost Recon Wildlands, so they had to basically redo a ton of the game because of it, including adding AI teammates which were not in the game at launch

the most baffling thing is that the game has raids that still require you to re-enable gear score and have 3 real players to do them with lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

breakpoint was a complete disaster at launch and terrible as a sequel to Surprisingly Decent Video Game That Pissed Off The Bolivian Government, Ghost Recon Wildlands, so they had to basically redo a ton of the game because of it, including adding AI teammates which were not in the game at launch

the most baffling thing is that the game has raids that still require you to re-enable gear score and have 3 real players to do them with lol

Also you can't do the PvP mode either but I'm not interested in doing either so I'm glad I can turn off the Gear Score poo poo.

I don't know anything about Wildlands or how Breakpoint was at launch, since I just got the game, but I'm having some brainless fun.
Turning off Gear Score, setting the game to highest difficulty and using Teammates all definitely contribute to a more interesting experience I'd say, even if it's still a Ubisoft game du jour at it's core.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i love the story of Wildlands/Breakpoint's existences just because i find it incredible that Ubisoft, in all their genius, determined that the best way to do a sequel to a tactical stealth shooter was to turn it into a looter shooter

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

i love the story of Wildlands/Breakpoint's existences just because i find it incredible that Ubisoft, in all their genius, determined that the best way to do a sequel to a tactical stealth shooter was to turn it into a looter shooter

Ubisoft just doesn't know how to make anything other than the "Ubisoft game".

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
They do have like 15 specialized companies working with each title, so doing anything creative would probably crash their entire ecosystem.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ShadowMar posted:

especially since Wildlands later had three non-looter crossovers: Rainbow 6 Siege, Splinter Cell, and the actual loving Predator

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Ubisoft just doesn't know how to make anything other than the "Ubisoft game".

Siege, For Honor, the 2D Assasssin’s Creeds, that robot climbing game, Greek Zelda (help names are hard.) They do plenty of different stuff. They’re also one of the only big companies that have those tent pole games that actually change things people hate from game to game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1701767079697740115

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
demos "mostly" won't trigger fees

how about no installs trigger fees at all

also "only the first install" means they are either bullshitting or use extra data (hi EU!) to track users across OS reinstalls

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The backpedaling has begun

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/writnelson/status/1701720278189937099

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

ymgve posted:

also "only the first install" means they are either bullshitting or use extra data (hi EU!) to track users across OS reinstalls

It's absolutely hilarious that they didn't consider the ramifications of calling judicial attention to their actions.

This is basically the company going "Hey EU legislation, please gently caress us into the dirt."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m starting a class action against Xes

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, "we get a cut of every game sold" is also really scummy to do out of nowhere, but that's at least an understandable policy. "We get a cut every time the game is installed" is the stupidest, most brokebrained corporate CEO poo poo ever. And they just assumed they could get away with it, without thinking about it for a single second. It was just "we're going to steal money from people because we want money and gently caress you".

I mean, when I first read about it I also assumed they would just get away with it too. They're still basically getting away with it, just not as bad.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm guessing they'll probably still walk it back more in the short term (maybe excluding existing games somehow?) but I doubt anyone will ever trust them again after this

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://twitter.com/DesolusDev/status/1701715805954806091?s=20

https://twitter.com/Airdorf/status/1701763494696100137

https://twitter.com/Airdorf/status/1701778020250345775

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Logiart Grimoire launched in early access yesterday: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2492390/Logiart_Grimoire/

It's a new picross/nonogram game by the studio that has been making them for Nintendo devices for more than 2 decades. You unlock new puzzles by ranking up (= completing X amount of puzzles) and by "fusion". That basically involves combining the pictures of earlier puzzles to create new ones. The hints for these fusion puzzles have been pretty easy thus far. There are also a handful of puzzles that are created if you happen to mess up a fusion (they look like simple doodles).

Monkee + brain = human, me smart!

Right now it just has mouse controls and so it's not ready for the Steam Deck yet. They are working on it though, alongside interface improvements (first patch added a quit to desktop button, progress!). I don't know how I feel about them asking the community to point out spelling mistakes and such. There is the occasional bit of grammar that makes me think they are better off just hiring an editor to review all the descriptions and rewrite them where needed.

Outside of a single 20x15 puzzle, I haven't unlocked anything bigger than 15x15 yet, but I imagine I've seen 1/5 of its puzzles at best. If you're not that familiar with picross there are 2 tutorials and 3 assist options: one that auto-corrects boxes you filled incorrectly, a "roulette" that reveals a single row and column of boxes at the beginning, and the blue highlight that shows you which rows and columns have boxes you could figure out. The game keeps track of which ones you used to solve a puzzle or if there was no assist.

The latter assist is nice if you want to knock out a puzzle in a couple of minutes without getting those situations where you're kinda stuck for a while.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 13, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So, how's the Halo Collection holding up these days? Which of those games still hold up and are a good starting point if you never touched anything Halo? Also, anyone tried them on the Deck?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saoshyant posted:

So, how's the Halo Collection holding up these days? Which of those games still hold up and are a good starting point if you never touched anything Halo? Also, anyone tried them on the Deck?

If you've never played Halo at all, Halo 1 or Reach are still very good and fun jumping in points. Halo 3 is amazing too. All of them but 4 really play very well but the plot won't make sense if you care. Play them co-op if you can.

4 still sucks a good bit but multi's alright.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

Logiart Grimoire launched in early access yesterday: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2492390/Logiart_Grimoire/

It's a new picross/nonogram game by the studio that has been making them for Nintendo devices for more than 2 decades. You unlock new puzzles by ranking up (= completing X amount of puzzles) and by "fusion". That basically involves combining the pictures of earlier puzzles to create new ones. The hints for these fusion puzzles have been pretty easy thus far. There are also a handful of puzzles that are created if you happen to mess up a fusion (they look like simple doodles).

Picked this up based on your post. Love me some picross and I liked the switch version I played.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Mierenneuker posted:

Monkee + brain = human, me smart!

Right now it just has mouse controls and so it's not ready for the Steam Deck yet. They are working on it though, alongside interface improvements (first patch added a quit to desktop button, progress!). I don't know how I feel about them asking the community to point out spelling mistakes and such. There is the occasional bit of grammar that makes me think they are better off just hiring an editor to review all the descriptions and rewrite them where needed.

Outside of a single 20x15 puzzle, I haven't unlocked anything bigger than 15x15 yet, but I imagine I've seen 1/5 of its puzzles at best. If you're not that familiar with picross there are 2 tutorials and 3 assist options: one that auto-corrects boxes you filled incorrectly, a "roulette" that reveals a single row and column of boxes at the beginning, and the blue highlight that shows you which rows and columns have boxes you could figure out. The game keeps track of which ones you used to solve a puzzle or if there was no assist.

The latter assist is nice if you want to knock out a puzzle in a couple of minutes without getting those situations where you're kinda stuck for a while.

Woah thanks for posting this! I love the e picross games and I've played every single one including the hello kitty one to death multiple times.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

If you've never played Halo at all, Halo 1 or Reach are still very good and fun jumping in points. Halo 3 is amazing too. All of them but 4 really play very well but the plot won't make sense if you care. Play them co-op if you can.

4 still sucks a good bit but multi's alright.

These games are pretty awful to play in co-op due to their rather unique netcode that they have for co-op. Very laggy experience, had to give up after a level when I tried it with a friend.
It's probably okay if your ping to your friend would be under 30 or something, but 80 ping is just unplayable.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 13, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sininu posted:

These games are pretty awful to play in co-op due to their rather unique netcode that they have for co-op. Very laggy experience, had to give up after a level when I tried it with a friend.

I haven't had any issues in co-op on Game Pass at all except a bug where it wouldn't load into a campaign in progress in Halo 1 they fixed, I've played through them all on in legendary that way, super smooth

MCC was pretty hosed at launch on Xbox though

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I beat Biomutant today.

What an aggressively mediocre game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, that one genuinely got me.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So, if Unity goes through with this, that means every game that sold a lot but isn't selling any more is a financial liability. Resurgence of your game in public discourse leading to a lot of reinstalls? Suddenly a huge bill comes in. Which raises the question: Can devs pull their game from Steam&Co. completely, not only for sale but also from access/reinstall?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GhostDog posted:

So, if Unity goes through with this, that means every game that sold a lot but isn't selling any more is a financial liability. Resurgence of your game in public discourse leading to a lot of reinstalls? Suddenly a huge bill comes in. Which raises the question: Can devs pull their game from Steam&Co. completely, not only for sale but also from access/reinstall?

A major issue there I think is that Steam allowing that would gently caress their entire sales concept. Even if people are aware that they are technically 'buying a license' there is a difference between that and "Cult of the Lamb is now unavailable even if you bought it beforehand." They basically can't.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Every time someone mentions Deus Ex, Embracer has to close one studio.

just pretend that Deus Ex was made with Unity, or my lame joke doesn't work

Kennel fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 13, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

GhostDog posted:

If this actually goes live in its stated form steam will have to give the option to perma pull stuff. But it going live like this is so cataclysmic that its hard to imagine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kennel posted:

Every time someone mentions Deus Ex, Embracer has to close one studio.

What a shame.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

GhostDog posted:

No Wave posted:

If this actually goes live in its stated form steam will have to give the option to perma pull stuff. But it going live like this is so cataclysmic that its hard to imagine.
They can't just allow devs to delete games from peoples' libraries that they already paid for. I'm almost certain that would be illegal in a lot of places. It would also be a lovely rear end-covering move even if I would sympathize with the dev's plight. If I paid $40 for a game, it's not okay for the dev to take it away from me without compensation so that they don't have to pay a few cents when I install it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Volte posted:

They can't just allow devs to delete games from peoples' libraries that they already paid for. I'm almost certain that would be illegal in a lot of places.
Its not a scenario worth thinking about at the moment because unity's planned terms are so egregious. Its like asking what happens to steam if all of their data centers simultaneously explode.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I mean I assume they have to be walking back on this, but then again we do live in the end times, so...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They've already started to work back on it as seen in the Tweet I posted ITT a few hours ago. Supposedly the fee will only be once on the initial installation.

But, again, what if I change my hardware? If I install it on my laptop & my desktop?
Still doesn't address malicious actors installing f2p games repeatedly either.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sab669 posted:

They've already started to work back on it as seen in the Tweet I posted ITT a few hours ago. Supposedly the fee will only be once on the initial installation.

But, again, what if I change my hardware? If I install it on my laptop & my desktop?
Still doesn't address malicious actors installing f2p games repeatedly either.
"Initial installation" presumably only means "initial installation on one computer" the same way you don't need to activate five licenses of Windows to install it on the same computer five times, but you do need to take special action to activate it on a new computer. But since there's no actual seat registration or user-based installation tracking (they went out of their way to make it clear that they are only collecting aggregate data and nothing personally identifying) they have no way to differentiate between one person installing it on two machines and two people installing it once each. So basically they're just bullshitting, they're going to be billing devs whatever they feel like, and this whole thing is just going to be a big shitshow that probably kills Unity. And Unity didn't need much more help being killed.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
On the subject of f2p, it'd be hilarious if Unity makes an exemption for f2p, and then developers respond by making their singleplayer game "f2p" but you have to pay the actual price of the game to unlock it. Unity gets nothing since the game was already installed.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The thing is you can invent all sorts of changes that make it humanly realistic. Like make the charge happen once per initialization on each platform/once per steam account etc. But even if you do that you've still made freemium an impossible model and freemium phone games are a huge industry and it's totally destroyed for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

On the subject of f2p, it'd be hilarious if Unity makes an exemption for f2p, and then developers respond by making their singleplayer game "f2p" but you have to pay the actual price of the game to unlock it. Unity gets nothing since the game was already installed.
I absolutely hate how so many mobile apps won't even tell you how much they really cost until you install them, so it would be really annoying if unity's pricing model encouraged that.