Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

It's not supposed to look like that

It's not supposed to come out that easy :sigh:

https://67d5jvpji84rsto5.s3.amazonaws.com/20230902_140341.mp4

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxFqDKFiQRw

Dat BMW engine :stonk:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

You know, I already have a low opinion of people, particularly in the realm of intelligence. Those Just Rolled In videos do nothing to help that...

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Darchangel posted:

You know, I already have a low opinion of people, particularly in the realm of intelligence. Those Just Rolled In videos do nothing to help that...

This and the sub-humans in Cart Narcs (I mean, besides Sebas). I weep for the future... and the present.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Darchangel posted:

They make me happy my state has safety inspections even though they suck and repair places often use them as a loss leader to try and milk an overpriced brake job out of. (I've had one place fail me with brand new brakes and another that failed me for brakes that were older but still fit the inspection criteria for a pass).

They still keep people who have missing shocks or calipers or rotors ground down well past manufacturer acceptable specs from being on the road legally.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Eh, more than half of Just Rolled In is lolpoorpeople.mov

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/wv2rOpz.mp4

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

Eh, more than half of Just Rolled In is lolpoorpeople.mov

Probably not wrong. This is where I’m grateful for having the talent and interest to fix stuff. Thanks, dad!
I’ve never been what I consider poor, but bucks down for sure. Being able to fix stuff has allowed me not only to spend less getting stuff fixed, but buy cheaper used cars without worrying too much, and keep those on the road longer.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Being able to fix your own stuff is a huge economic advantage. I think seized brake calipers alone would have bankrupted me on all the old shitboxes I owned when I lived in the NE, if I were paying shop rates.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
And it's harder to get taken advantage of when a shop tries to take you for a ride if you already have an idea of how much money and time a repair should take

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, I got home from deployment one time, made it home, couldn't get in 'cause the landlord changed the locks, decided to go to Starbucks and wait for him to get up and answer my texts. Blew a 2" rusty scab off the brakeline between the master and rear splitter. Drove to the shop with the e-brake, $200 for a new hand-bent and flared line, something I had neither the tools nor time to do, they had it done in like 2 hours.

When I got the keys back they quoted me $1,200 bucks to replace the rear brakes, which were worn. No thanks guys, I can get 30 minutes and a six pack at some point.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ok, so you don't support the WGA strike, but what happened to your brakes?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

And it's harder to get taken advantage of when a shop tries to take you for a ride if you already have an idea of how much money and time a repair should take

Had this happen to me with a state inspection and a (mother fuckin’) Ford Ranger. I knew the front driver’s bearings were on their way out so it didn’t surprise me at all when it failed inspection. The shop called and started talking about a $500 to replace the bearings when I told him to just button the truck up and I’d do it myself at home. He told me “I already have the truck torn apart” and I told him I couldn’t afford the $500 and that he should’ve called for authorization before ripping into the hub.

After a 5 minute negotiation on the phone and me looking up prices on RockAuto I had the bearing job done for $160 including parts, which felt honestly super fair at like $70-something an hour for labor (yay 2009 prices). I’d have to have gone to a machine shop to get the races pressed out regardless, so whatever.

Knowing the tiniest bit about vehicle components really gives you that advantage.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
There is an easy solution for this problem. Inspection places must be separate from repair shops, they will just make you bring it back for re-inspection.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
This… I live in Texas and lol at our inspections but I still would never get my inspection done at a place that did anything more than an oil change… maybe a bulb replacement

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Good news! When it’s privatized you dont get a choice, especially when all the shops stop doing it because they were getting 1 dollar a car so there’s three in the whole loving city that still do it.

/Milwaukee

You can get emissions tests done at curry park, amato Mitsubishi (which is absolutely closing soon), and like one other place. It sucks nuts.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

DamnGlitch posted:

Good news! When it’s privatized you dont get a choice, especially when all the shops stop doing it because they were getting 1 dollar a car so there’s three in the whole loving city that still do it.

/Milwaukee

You can get emissions tests done at curry park, amato Mitsubishi (which is absolutely closing soon), and like one other place. It sucks nuts.

Bell Ambulance now does emissions tests over at their shop on KK in Bay View. The emissions test situation here is terrible though.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Saukkis posted:

There is an easy solution for this problem. Inspection places must be separate from repair shops, they will just make you bring it back for re-inspection.

That is how works in Italy and let me tell you, it's incredibly hard to make it fail, almost making it mandatory to pass to not lose customers. I think I had my first inspection on the swift with busted o2 sensors, running almost 100% petrol in the chamber, and still passed(after the inspection shop made the car run for half an hour idle to be hot enough to fit in the correct values).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

namlosh posted:

This… I live in Texas and lol at our inspections but I still would never get my inspection done at a place that did anything more than an oil change… maybe a bulb replacement

Good news! it's not good news: Governor "I'm a huge chud" Abbot signed into law Tuesday that state safety inspections will no longer be required, starting in 2025. You'll still pay the $7.50, but no inspection other than emissions if you have a car newer than 25 years.
I look forward to the absolute piles of poo poo I see on the road getting even worse.

Bathroom Surprise
Feb 15, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I look forward to the absolute piles of poo poo I see on the road getting even worse.

Connecticut has just emissions and no inspections, between that and the northeast rust some of the shitheaps rolling around are spectacular. Drove a few myself.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

DamnGlitch posted:

Simple, require inspection to be done at a licensed place and only allow licenses for places that don't do repairs.

SlowBloke posted:

That is how works in Italy and let me tell you, it's incredibly hard to make it fail, almost making it mandatory to pass to not lose customers. I think I had my first inspection on the swift with busted o2 sensors, running almost 100% petrol in the chamber, and still passed(after the inspection shop made the car run for half an hour idle to be hot enough to fit in the correct values).

That's how it works in Finland too and we don't have that problem. My previous car failed inspection maybe 1 in 3 times. The government just needs to investigate any place that doesn't fail a certain percentage of cars, and then revoke the license if there isn't a drat good explanation.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Saukkis posted:

Simple, require inspection to be done at a licensed place and only allow licenses for places that don't do repairs.

Are you saying you think I should have to make an appointment and take my car for inspection, and then make a second appointment and take it to an entirely different facility to get what it needs done to it? And then make a third appointment to take it back to the first place so they can verify that what needed to be done was in fact done?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Phanatic posted:

Are you saying you think I should have to make an appointment and take my car for inspection, and then make a second appointment and take it to an entirely different facility to get what it needs done to it? And then make a third appointment to take it back to the first place so they can verify that what needed to be done was in fact done?

That's how we do it with elevators, though they have the advantage of the inspectors and mechanics having to go to them. Even so, it's a very good system to ensure appropriate function of components.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Saukkis posted:

That's how it works in Finland too and we don't have that problem. My previous car failed inspection maybe 1 in 3 times. The government just needs to investigate any place that doesn't fail a certain percentage of cars, and then revoke the license if there isn't a drat good explanation.

The place I inspect my cars at is a repair shop and they got a sign saying "if your car fails inspection and you get it fixed here, we'll waive the 20€ re-inspection fee". Which feels a bit iffy to me. But I've never taken them up on that since I got my regular shop I take my car to if I don't do it myself.

I get the impression it works because like, they have to specify exactly why you failed inspections and what should be done about it. If it's a bullshit reason or just a plain lie, then that will be discovered if you take it another shop (or just know enough yourself to be able to see through it) and that's a huge risk to small reward incentive, inspector might lose his license even.

I am pretty sure that car inspection used to be SERIOUS BUSINESS, it was previously government business until it was privatized in the early 2000s and the training to become a certified inspector isn't easy, they only just mentioned making that easier though because the high requirements has lead to a lack of certified inspectors.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Phanatic posted:

You should make sure your car's safe before you bring it in for inspection. That's how inspections work.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Phanatic posted:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but do it like Illinois. Big facilities that do all of the checks for free, no appointments required, and then have repairs done at the shop of your choosing. It's not as convenient, but I also don't have Clyde telling me that I need to spend at least $300 at his shop before he'll allow me to renew my registration

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

Good news! it's not good news: Governor "I'm a huge chud" Abbot signed into law Tuesday that state safety inspections will no longer be required, starting in 2025. You'll still pay the $7.50, but no inspection other than emissions if you have a car newer than 25 years.

Our inspections are a joke as it is, there's a ton of inspectors that just pencil whip the safety part.

SlowBloke posted:

I had a Civic like that, back when my state (TX) still did tailpipe sniffing for OBD2 cars and didn't fail them outright for the check engine light being on. He showed me the sheet with how bad it failed, said he was pretty sure he could get it to pass by getting it good and hot and messing with the timing a little... I told him I could handle beating it up a bit, and beat the snot out of it for a few miles + screwed with the timing a bit. It then (barely, like within a few PPM on one measurement) passed.

It had a bad cat, engine was running about as well as a high mileage Civic that had been rode hard and put away wet its entire life could run (as in.. compression kinda low, burning some oil, but it did run).

I did replace the cat so it could pass on its own the next year, but the next year had moved from the rear end sniff to OBD2 check. No check engine light and most of the emissions monitors are set? PASS.

His Divine Shadow posted:

The place I inspect my cars at is a repair shop and they got a sign saying "if your car fails inspection and you get it fixed here, we'll waive the 20€ re-inspection fee". Which feels a bit iffy to me. But I've never taken them up on that since I got my regular shop I take my car to if I don't do it myself.

We use a tint shop across the street. It's close, they're busy enough that they don't have time to upsell you on anything except the really easy stuff, and they have downright cold AC in the waiting room.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 13, 2023

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Darchangel posted:

This is bullshit for a few more reasons than what's immediately obvious.
It means that cars less than 25yo won't be maintained and thus they will have no fighting chance in hell at ever passing a safety inspection on their 25th birthday, this is effectively passing a bill to get older cars off the road.
Second, this disproportionately fucks the financially disadvantaged because all they can afford is older cars, so now they'll only be able to afford cars with a couple years left before they're going to the scrap yard. Cars will be worthless at 24.9 years old.

Don't get me wrong, safety inspections are a load of bullshit lobbied for by car dealers, but this is not the right approach.
If they want them to be about safety, check important poo poo like brake lines, fuel lines, tires, poo poo isn't loose. Why do i fail inspection for a rusty front fender?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
In NC they’re a joke and the profit from them seems like more trouble than it’s worth for most shops. I’ve been to some that take it seriously but most don’t. Emissions and truly safety / road worthiness seems reasonable to me and I’d be glad to put up with that. Like make sure lights work, headlights are aimed correctly, that suspension and brakes work as intended etc. However the Nc system is a joke at the moment and just an annoyance. I’ve passed with a car that only had 3 shocks for like 2 years.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Cars older than 25 years won't need to start getting safety inspections. They'll stop getting emissions inspections.

And body rust has never been part of Texas' inspection criteria. Hell, suspension integrity isn't on the list.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The US need actual inspections like they need to get rid of the car dependence. Badly.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

The US need actual inspections like they need to get rid of the car dependence. Badly.

That's never going to happen. Cars will always be necessary outside cities.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://v.redd.it/gs1t741vknnb1/DASH_360.mp4

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Remember PASS through the flames when you use an extinguisher

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

And here's how with just a few simple instructions, you can turn one fire into three fires.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that is precisely why when i'm working on my motorcycle or car i have the fire extinguisher in arm's reach. he probably could have gotten it put out even with that dinky little thing if he'd done it in the first 5 seconds.

also if he hadn't spread it around with a shirt (?) and by kicking the burning garbage (??) under both cars, idk

e: lol i just noticed that he first tries to blow it out. rofl

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

It’s his bike, but somebody else's cars.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Sagebrush posted:

that is precisely why when i'm working on my motorcycle or car i have the fire extinguisher in arm's reach. he probably could have gotten it put out even with that dinky little thing if he'd done it in the first 5 seconds.

also if he hadn't spread it around with a shirt (?) and by kicking the burning garbage (??) under both cars, idk

e: lol i just noticed that he first tries to blow it out. rofl

I don’t always keep it nearby when I’m working on a project but if I know I’m gonna be dealing with something flammable or using something like a grinder or torch, gently caress yeah, it’s right next to me

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Saukkis posted:

Orr they could just reopen the state DMV testing locations and de-privatize it.

The physical locations still exist, they used them as drive thru Covid test stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Deteriorata posted:

That's never going to happen. Cars will always be necessary outside cities.

Alright cool.
Lets fix car dependence for the 70% of the USA who do live in cities.