Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Darth Walrus posted:

Run a poll on chocolate oranges? It's possible you are the spokesperson for a silent majority.

I don't doubt it for a second!

HopperUK posted:

Yeah you can just say stuff and if you're being genuine the thread will be okay.

Yeah nobody gives a poo poo, we're all idiots. :justpost:

IllusionistTrixie posted:

You can't make me post!

:smuggo: All according to keikaku

Oh a page snipe! ON THIS DAY IN 335 (yeah you read that right) The Church of Holy Sepulchre consecrated in Jerusalem. This causes no issues in the future except that one ladder that nobody is allowed to move anymore

Miftan fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm the clever one, don't post or I'll make wry comments at you.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm the clever one, don't post or I'll make wry comments at you.
             \

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Come poo poo up the chat thread instead then or the actual shitposting UK politics thread :shrug:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

poo poo up both threads or Tony Blair will invade your dwelling.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the thread for making GBS threads up is here and the non-serious politics one is here

and then this one is for serious posting I guess, with the odd belligerent derail about dogs

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I only post when I know it’ll poo poo up the thread. Quality, well-thought out posting is anathema to the Jakabite philosophy.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I guess one thing that the recent deaths of twisto and camrath have highlighted to me is how much I enjoy, and take for granted, the company, wit and wisdom of the people on this thread.

I'm more of a lurker really and rarely if ever contribute anything of any substance at all, but I've (parasocially) known some people round here for over a decade now, and although all I know about anyone is just their username and the words they post, this community is genuinely a significant part of my life - even though I kind of cringe to admit it.

Anyway, that's a very long, inarticulate round about way of saying... I love all you goons, even the poo poo ones, and I would very much appreciate it if you stay alive as long as possible, and most importantly :justpost:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Wait, we're NOT supposed to poo poo up this thread? I can't imagine how bad the designated shitposting threads must be lmao

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
You're allowed to poo poo here but you should pick it up and bin it afterwards. And no just hanging out on a tree branch, promising you'll deal with it later.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-66709052
Trans guidance is needed in schools, parents tell BBC

I almost suspect the Government are taking ages to do this because they know once it's set it could be challenged in court. So they would rather make statements to the daily mail where it can go unchallenged.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
would you like to see an infuriating clip of retired boomers gawking at classic cars while talking about how their pensions have benefitted from inflation

since 2010,
pensions up 14%
working age benefits down 9%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GnXmUJ5Tco

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
gently caress. RIP Camrath. The unread counter on this thread just kept jumping and I couldn't face wading through however many pages it was and then, gently caress, this was why. gently caress.

Goonspeed, Man of Fudge.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Tesseraction posted:

poo poo up both threads or Tony Blair will invade your dwelling.

Tony would love it here, all posts are attached to a flexible ID card (avatar and gangtags) stored in a central database (Jeffrey's basement).

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
https://twitter.com/rosieICM/status/1701843650680930415

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

I guess one thing that the recent deaths of twisto and camrath have highlighted to me is how much I enjoy, and take for granted, the company, wit and wisdom of the people on this thread.

I'm more of a lurker really and rarely if ever contribute anything of any substance at all, but I've (parasocially) known some people round here for over a decade now, and although all I know about anyone is just their username and the words they post, this community is genuinely a significant part of my life - even though I kind of cringe to admit it.

Anyway, that's a very long, inarticulate round about way of saying... I love all you goons, even the poo poo ones, and I would very much appreciate it if you stay alive as long as possible, and most importantly :justpost:

Me too, for better or worse I’ve been posting or lurking here for over a decade pretty much daily. It’s been one of very few constants. Big love to all UKMT goons

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Failed Imagineer posted:

Didn't realise you were supposed to have political knowledge before posting here, this is very bad for me...

I may not know much about politics but I know I hate it and the people who use it to gently caress up other people's lives for profit and, apparently, the sheer joy of stomping on other people. Hopefully that qualifies me to post...

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nowadays most of the conversations i have are on this site and there doesn't appear to be any other sane alternatives about.

This is a place of such diverse topics. :)

:comfyoot: to all.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

So sorry to hear about Camrath. He seemed like a lovely chap. 😔

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe
gently caress.
RIP Camrath, condolences to his friends and family, terrible news.

I've been lurking this thread daily for over a decade but basically never post, still feels like a community and has helped me articulate my political views better than I'd ever manage alone.
Please reach out if you're struggling, goons

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bit tragic that it usually takes a death in the thread to get the people who lurk to feel encouraged to post.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Bit tragic that it usually takes a death in the thread to get the people who lurk to feel encouraged to post.

It is, but in another sense it’s nice that people feel part of the community without any obligation to participate. That said, post more, it’s FUN!!!

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I cannot for the life of me figure out what "mainly selected for their academic excellence" is supposed to imply, or what the alternative is. Should we be picking doctors based on vibes?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Terrible news about Camrath, always seemed like a lovely guy, and now I feel bad for watching my weight and not buying fudge. RIP comrade.

Incredibly awkward pivot:

https://twitter.com/TWT_NOW/status/1701936267930337723

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

EvilHawk posted:

I cannot for the life of me figure out what "mainly selected for their academic excellence" is supposed to imply, or what the alternative is. Should we be picking doctors based on vibes?

im incredibly dense but I can suck a golf ball through a garden hose :wink:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mega Comrade posted:

You're allowed to poo poo here but you should pick it up and bin it afterwards. And no just hanging out on a tree branch, promising you'll deal with it later.

I almost suspect the Government are taking ages to do this because they know once it's set it could be challenged in court. So they would rather make statements to the daily mail where it can go unchallenged.

From the above linked article, some world-class editing by the BBC.

quote:

As pupils settle into a new academic year, BBC News has spoken to two parents whose children have questioned their gender about the impact the lack of transgender guidance for schools has had on their families.

So this reads as if these parents' children have gone to meet their gender (presumably in an office in a school building somewhere) to ask it questions about school policy.

Re: Camrath. That's really sad news. I only hope that the threads outpouring of care is picked up by those who need it.

fuctifino also made a very valid point that as tempting that it is, not to try and tell yourself that this was something any of us could have prevented.

EvilHawk posted:

It's code for "yes I suppose I am forced to admit that these 'females' are able to achieve academic marks that allow them to graduate and be called doctors. But they aren't any fun, not like me and my (white and male) mates were. We knew non-academic things. Like who to be friends with so we could have a successful career of being a doctor who bullies those bloody wokes!"

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 13, 2023

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Any of you goons actually going to The World Transformed?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'd wanted to but I am transferring jobs so been too busy

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Solefald posted:

Any of you goons actually going to The World Transformed?

Pretty sure there's a goon here who works for TWT. Was it Fakename?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’m considering popping over for a day. Will there be any opportunities to heckle anyone awful?

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Miftan posted:

Oh that's cool.

I really want to go but I can't afford it b/c unemployed and I'm too anxious about requesting free tickets. I'd be up for meeting up w/ any goons if there's any kind of meetup outside of the event itself though :3:

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

I think it's saying that some where selected because they are FEMALES or gay or different races etc and none of this would happen if we stuck to just employing proper White Male C of E doctors as Tory Jesus intended

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Miftan posted:

Yes, you should all join me and KEITH at the festival this year.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Solefald posted:

Oh that's cool.

I really want to go but I can't afford it b/c unemployed and I'm too anxious about requesting free tickets. I'd be up for meeting up w/ any goons if there's any kind of meetup outside of the event itself though :3:

Do not feel anxious about the free tickets! They are completely no questions asked. It would be great to have you!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I have no great wisdom to contribute about Camrath, but I will miss the guy and his fudge.

Mega Comrade posted:

in which the "LGBT correspondent" and "LGBT producer" tell the story of a trans child supported by his parents while also, for necessary balance you understand, also including the story of an unsupportive parent living through the terrifying scenario that a child changed their name and pronouns for a bit and then changed them back again. irreversible damage. also the child might not be 100% neurotypical so can you really trust her to make any decisions about herself. incisive reporting.

the headline is great too because what these two parents want is completely different but they get lumped together. People Want Government To Do Things, Not Do Other Things

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Comrade Fakename posted:

Do not feel anxious about the free tickets! They are completely no questions asked. It would be great to have you!

Would you be able to advise on accommodation for anyone asking about free tickets too?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Angepain posted:

also including the story of an unsupportive parent living through the terrifying scenario that a child changed their name and pronouns for a bit and then changed them back again. irreversible damage. also the child might not be 100% neurotypical so can you really trust her to make any decisions about herself. incisive reporting.

Also you can quite easily read into the story that the child's mental health issues were caused by her mother's refusal to acknowledge or respect her feelings of gender dysphoria, unlike the school which almost immediately appeared to accept and allow her to use the pronouns she has chosen months before she told her mother - wonder why that was.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Honestly I had very supportive parents growing up but would have struggled to bring up something like that to them.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Would you be able to advise on accommodation for anyone asking about free tickets too?

We'll be making some announcements regarding this in the next day or two, keep an eye on the TWT twitter account: https://twitter.com/TWT_NOW

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Angepain posted:

I have no great wisdom to contribute about Camrath, but I will miss the guy and his fudge.

in which the "LGBT correspondent" and "LGBT producer" tell the story of a trans child supported by his parents while also, for necessary balance you understand, also including the story of an unsupportive parent living through the terrifying scenario that a child changed their name and pronouns for a bit and then changed them back again. irreversible damage. also the child might not be 100% neurotypical so can you really trust her to make any decisions about herself. incisive reporting.

the headline is great too because what these two parents want is completely different but they get lumped together. People Want Government To Do Things, Not Do Other Things

Bit of a tangent but I have always wondered how common temporary gender dysphoria (I'm not sure if that's the right way to phrase it) is during puberty. I had a period of maybe about 6-12 months when I was about 14ish where I strongly wished I was a girl. I never told anyone about it at the time, and then at some point it just disappeared and those feelings never came back. It's not really one of those things that's easy to talk about because I feel like people will make assumptions about ulterior motives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/1701912943611306142

Nearly....