Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I bought Doom Eternal on the recent sale and man I must be getting old because I really suck at it. Maybe it's cause I'm playing it in handheld mode, but I just can't seem to get into the right flow, I'm struggling to hit anything. It's like it moves too fast for me, and stuff like how the left trigger is for a secondary mode, rather than aiming, really messes with me for some reason.

I had to turn the difficulty down to actually get anywhere - so shameful. It's like there are too many options for battles and I end up mostly just zipping around using the flaming shotgun hook, which is still a lot of fun, but maybe kinda boring. Also I sometimes feel sorry for the old ladies when they sit next to me on the bus - the glory kills are pretty gruesome lol.

The music is hilarious though - prob my fav part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
My kid bought Mario maker 2 with his saved up money and Im proud to say he got some likes and even a comment on the goofy little kid levels he uploaded. I have no idea how people are finding his levels but good for Nintendo for promoting them in whatever way they're doing it. Proud parent moment

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I will play the child's levels. I will do this

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

trevorreznik posted:

My kid bought Mario maker 2 with his saved up money and Im proud to say he got some likes and even a comment on the goofy little kid levels he uploaded. I have no idea how people are finding his levels but good for Nintendo for promoting them in whatever way they're doing it. Proud parent moment

Post the levels, coward! Let the goons speed run them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Red Rox posted:

I bought Doom Eternal on the recent sale and man I must be getting old because I really suck at it. Maybe it's cause I'm playing it in handheld mode, but I just can't seem to get into the right flow, I'm struggling to hit anything. It's like it moves too fast for me, and stuff like how the left trigger is for a secondary mode, rather than aiming, really messes with me for some reason.
I only watched an LP of Eternal and even from that I can tell that the game is too fast and visually busy for me. It was just an overstimulation nightmare even trying to watch that game being played by someone else.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Red Rox posted:

I had to turn the difficulty down to actually get anywhere - so shameful. It's like there are too many options for battles and I end up mostly just zipping around using the flaming shotgun hook, which is still a lot of fun, but maybe kinda boring. Also I sometimes feel sorry for the old ladies when they sit next to me on the bus - the glory kills are pretty gruesome lol.

The music is hilarious though - prob my fav part.

those other things aren't really options, the game fully expects you to juggle all your cooldowns like an MMO if you want to get anywhere. you really get shoehorned into using them

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

After seeing the file size of MK1 I assume the Switch port is going to be a Doom Eternal-tier miracle if it runs well

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

EightFlyingCars posted:

those other things aren't really options, the game fully expects you to juggle all your cooldowns like an MMO if you want to get anywhere. you really get shoehorned into using them

This is definitely why I’m struggling. My tactic in most big battles is to fly around the arena like a headless chicken shooting one gun until I run out of ammo, then switching to the next.

The thought of switching between grenade and ice bomb and using the flame thrower and the quick swap to skip reloads, and trying to do it all at the same time, gives me anxiety.

Luckily I just picked up the BFG which solves a lot of my problems.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

maybealabia posted:

"no load times" is such a stupid claim even for clickbait

Maybe on a first party nintendo optimized game but man they are underestimating how badly a game can be designed

It mostly works fine for PS5, yeah you occasionally get a poorly optimised indie game or Atlus deliberately slowing loading down so you can read the loading messages but 99% it does as advertised.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

After seeing the file size of MK1 I assume the Switch port is going to be a Doom Eternal-tier miracle if it runs well

i am really really curious about that harry potter game when it comes to switch in november

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

trevorreznik posted:

There's a "new" playlist that I'm sure you've seen, and I think it kind of gets rotated out very often. There are people in the MM2 community who just want to rack up "first clears" (which is a stat for how many times you've been the first person to clear a level), and also world records. Not saying they weren't interested but it's a lot easier to get a level played by randoms if it has a 0/0 clear rate (successes/attempts) than if it has anything higher than that.

Also, post the codes!

Edit: here's our official SMM2 thread.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Inzombiac posted:

You heard it here, folks!!!!

Nintendo Switch 2 - No loads refused

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Red Rox posted:

This is definitely why I’m struggling. My tactic in most big battles is to fly around the arena like a headless chicken shooting one gun until I run out of ammo, then switching to the next.

The thought of switching between grenade and ice bomb and using the flame thrower and the quick swap to skip reloads, and trying to do it all at the same time, gives me anxiety.

Luckily I just picked up the BFG which solves a lot of my problems.

at least on medium difficulty you can think of the secondary weapons as powerup dispensers with an extra step. low on ammo, it’s chainsaw time. need armor, out comes the flamethrower

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Switch 2 rumors coming fast and furious these days.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-ampere-powered-soc-for-next-gen-nintendo-switch-2-handheld-spotted/amp/

quote:

Discovered by @Kepler_L2, it looks like NVIDIA has worked on at least two custom SOCs based on the Ampere GPU architecture which might possibly be integrated within the Nintendo Switch 2 handheld. These two SOCs include the T234 and T239 and were spotted within NVIDIA's GitHub "Open-GPU" section. The interesting part about these listings is that both SOCs are featured under the Ampere architecture so we are looking at GPU features that are on par with the GeForce RTX 30 series graphics cards.

Recently, we have been hearing a lot of rumors regarding the Nintendo Switch 2 handheld. These rumors basically come after Gamescom 2023 where the device was showcased to select media & behind closed doors. According to rumored details, the Nintendo Switch 2 handheld was running various games at 4K 60 FPS natively and is also said to offer full support for Ray Tracing & NVIDIA's DLSS technologies. The Switch 2 handheld was shown to run the Unreal Engine 5 Matrix Awakens demo with NVIDIA DLSS 3.1.

Just to point out that the NVIDIA DLSS 3.5 Ray Reconstruction technology is supported across all RTX GPUs so it should also be compatible with the Ampere architecture featured on the Switch 2 handheld however, Frame Generation is something that might be missing from the handheld since that feature only works on the newer Ada Lovelace GPUs. In addition to the tech features, Nintendo is said to feature up to 12 GB of RAM on its Switch 2 handheld but the exact type isn't mentioned yet.

Here’s the tech demo it was allegedly running at gamescon.

https://youtu.be/WU0gvPcc3jQ

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
The Matrix demo's an impressive headline but how much does it actually tell us? Unreal's really scalable right? I don't know if that demo's publicly available but presumably you could turn down the settings and have it running on much weaker hardware than the XBSX/PS5 demos that footage exists for, just at lower resolution/detail/framerate etc

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Raylax posted:

The Matrix demo's an impressive headline but how much does it actually tell us? Unreal's really scalable right? I don't know if that demo's publicly available but presumably you could turn down the settings and have it running on much weaker hardware than the XBSX/PS5 demos that footage exists for, just at lower resolution/detail/framerate etc

True, but if that was done with the Swutootch (Sw2tch), wouldn't the headlines read "Switch 2 runs matrix demo at low settings/barely at all"?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

You heard it here, folks!!!!

why do i keep seeing these weird rounded joycons with padding(?)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Switch Advance will have a 4080 in it

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Raylax posted:

The Matrix demo's an impressive headline but how much does it actually tell us? Unreal's really scalable right?

I'm not like a tech guy but the immortals of aveum game runs unreal engine 5 and on the Series S it basically maintains 60fps while turning parts of itself into a crazy looking PS2 game

Edit: https://youtube.com/watch?v=YRRNRKmeM80&si=rFalQ5Vt6Bhq378D

External Organs fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 13, 2023

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

True, but if that was done with the Swutootch (Sw2tch), wouldn't the headlines read "Switch 2 runs matrix demo at low settings/barely at all"?

Yeah, but there hasn't been headlines reporting how it ran at all, just that it happened

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

WHY BONER NOW posted:

All that bomberman talk earlier and no one mentioned Super Bomberman R2 is coming out tomorrow
Yeah and it’s $50 lmfao. gently caress off Konami.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A deerect appears

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1701958929763172706

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Not falling for that trick again.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Murdstone posted:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Murdstone posted:

Same tho.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Yeah the September Direct is always 2 days before TGS not Thursday morning when I have to be in a meeting. Fake.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

pfffft September 2023?
That's some future moon-man talk!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nintendo are not massive idiots so no they are not going to announce the next console a year before it comes out.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Can't wait to see a Silksong release date but that have them delay it immediately because they need to switch engines.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

njsykora posted:

Nintendo are not massive idiots so no they are not going to announce the next console a year before it comes out.

Spring release would be dope.

If they announce it's backwards compatible I'm not sure how that'd cannibalize their game sales.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You would think ign would have a better idea of what rumors people are actually talking about. Nobody thinks they are teasing the switch 2

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Switch 2 is the perfect opportunity to restart Silksong development in a non-Unity engine.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It would cannibalize Switch sales during a holiday season.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You would think ign would have a better idea

No I wouldn't.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

No Wave posted:

Switch 2 is the perfect opportunity to restart Silksong development in a non-Unity engine.

Wow, Super Mario Silksong!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
only thing I want is a Rhythm Heaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Warioware: Ape Loads and Gas coming soon