Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

codenameFANGIO posted:

thats the first level of DOOM 2

I only played doom 1 earlier this year so thanks :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I've only played about 30 minutes of starfield so far but the robot adressed me by the name I chose which was neat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, that's cool. I guess the one I chose isn't on the list.

Bethesda did that in Fallout 4 too. Only Codsworth did it, but there was a list of hundreds of names they recorded.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ah, boo, it'll say Captain but not Cap'n. I assume I can change it if I want, though.

I remember Forza Horizon startling me with this feature, because it grabbed my IRL name from my Microsoft account and just started using it when it was talking to me. Neat, but also a funny surprise in a :yikes: kinda way coming out of nowhere

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Armored Coe 6 again, once you get your first ending you go into NG+. Now there's a bunch of new content in NG+, but something nice right off the bat is that you skip the tutorial mission where you have a fixed loadout. Also the first couple chapters go by really fast when you have a good setup already, so getting to the new stuff is pretty quick.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Bethesda did that in Fallout 4 too. Only Codsworth did it, but there was a list of hundreds of names they recorded.

Also he rolls the r in "Erectus".

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm playing a Drow (dark "evil" elf) Bard in Baldur's Gate 3 and it's funny how often folks are like, "Why are you being nice to me, you're supposed to hate everyone!"
Also because of the relationship Drow has to other creatures, folks like goblins tend to assume that when I roll up, I'm in charge.

Also, as a bard, I got to resist the influences of an evil book by singing obnoxiously for a while.
But then I made the mistake of putting the book in my inventory and now my Wisdom saves are hosed.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

I'm playing a Drow (dark "evil" elf) Bard in Baldur's Gate 3 and it's funny how often folks are like, "Why are you being nice to me, you're supposed to hate everyone!"
Also because of the relationship Drow has to other creatures, folks like goblins tend to assume that when I roll up, I'm in charge.

Also, as a bard, I got to resist the influences of an evil book by singing obnoxiously for a while.
But then I made the mistake of putting the book in my inventory and now my Wisdom saves are hosed.

I read the book the whole way through and it was worth it!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ashsaber posted:

Armored Core 6 again, once you get your first ending you go into NG+. Now there's a bunch of new content in NG+, but something nice right off the bat is that you skip the tutorial mission where you have a fixed loadout. Also the first couple chapters go by really fast when you have a good setup already, so getting to the new stuff is pretty quick.

Coming back to the first Chapter boss with a postgame loadout is very satisfying because you can utterly destroy them in short order.

Also when the new missions come around in NG+ and NG++, they do not gently caress around, they build on the fact you're on your second/third playthrough and bring a real challenge for your loadout.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

BG3 is entirely too horny. Like Saint's Row 4 parody level. And it's hillarious.

Act 3 spoiler
my companions walking in on me and the Emperor like

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm playing through Phoenotopia, which is a cute pixel-styled Metroidvania-ish kind of game. You explore a world, you gain new verbs to use in exploring that world, yadda yadda yadda.

It has a fishing minigame and a cooking minigame :allears: Cooking can be done only at designated fires. Some are in communal areas that are already lit, but some are just sort of out and about, and require you to light them by striking your club against a nearby piece of flint that you move onto the wood pile. It's very simple, there's no obstacles and the flint doesn't get used up or anything, you just get a small task to complete before lighting the fire.

When shopping at a nearby village, I found a Hand Crank Lamp that you can use to light up dark caves. You mash B for a few seconds to crank it up and start the light. I didn't have enough leftover cash to get it (it costs 90 I had 50-something after buying upgraded armor and a new club) so I kept on exploring the world. I caught and cooked a fair few more fish, found a place to sell them, and got enough cash to buy the lamp--but while there, I noticed they sold a "Refurbished" Hand Crank Lamp which does the same job, but the description says "occasionally makes a little spark". I don't remember if it was more expensive or less expensive than the regular Hand Crank Lamp, but I had enough cash and it was right there, so I bought it.

Sure enough, when you mash the B button to crank the lamp, it does sometimes spark. And the spark lights the wood on fire at the designated cooking spots, no flint required. It is a borderline useless feature, and I'm never going back to buy the regular lamp because I love it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Early in Baldur's Gate 3, I found a spider-filled cave behind an abandoned basement. The boss spider at the end was way too strong for me to take down when I first found her, but she was right next to a big, conspicuous hole. With a little luck, I managed to launch her into the hole with a spell smugly looted the cave. Apparently, that hole actually connects to a later area, because once I was down there I found that big spider, dead as hell, just laying in the path.

My character even commented on it, saying "Looks like it must have slipped and fell" all innocent like.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Crowetron posted:

Early in Baldur's Gate 3, I found a spider-filled cave behind an abandoned basement. The boss spider at the end was way too strong for me to take down when I first found her, but she was right next to a big, conspicuous hole. With a little luck, I managed to launch her into the hole with a spell smugly looted the cave. Apparently, that hole actually connects to a later area, because once I was down there I found that big spider, dead as hell, just laying in the path.

My character even commented on it, saying "Looks like it must have slipped and fell" all innocent like.

lmao that rules.
I just kept burning the webs and killed it will regular falling damage.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

bawk posted:

I'm playing through Phoenotopia, which is a cute pixel-styled Metroidvania-ish kind of game. You explore a world, you gain new verbs to use in exploring that world, yadda yadda yadda.

It has a fishing minigame and a cooking minigame :allears: Cooking can be done only at designated fires. Some are in communal areas that are already lit, but some are just sort of out and about, and require you to light them by striking your club against a nearby piece of flint that you move onto the wood pile. It's very simple, there's no obstacles and the flint doesn't get used up or anything, you just get a small task to complete before lighting the fire.

When shopping at a nearby village, I found a Hand Crank Lamp that you can use to light up dark caves. You mash B for a few seconds to crank it up and start the light. I didn't have enough leftover cash to get it (it costs 90 I had 50-something after buying upgraded armor and a new club) so I kept on exploring the world. I caught and cooked a fair few more fish, found a place to sell them, and got enough cash to buy the lamp--but while there, I noticed they sold a "Refurbished" Hand Crank Lamp which does the same job, but the description says "occasionally makes a little spark". I don't remember if it was more expensive or less expensive than the regular Hand Crank Lamp, but I had enough cash and it was right there, so I bought it.

Sure enough, when you mash the B button to crank the lamp, it does sometimes spark. And the spark lights the wood on fire at the designated cooking spots, no flint required. It is a borderline useless feature, and I'm never going back to buy the regular lamp because I love it.

What are the odds there's going to be a cave that has explosive gas pockets in it?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Phy posted:

What are the odds there's going to be a cave that has explosive gas pockets in it?

Knowing how this has gone so far? Near 100%. There have been so many moments where I've Rube Goldberg'd myself with a bomb that I threw, that there's a 0% chance I make it through the whole game without this exact trap coming up. I just can't wait until it does, in case there's a save point nearby.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crowetron posted:

I threw a dude into the river in Grimforge and thought I lost all their loot but when I was off exploring the Underdark I found his corpse washed up on a shore.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing The Pathless, it's a quite charming game so far. A lot of exploring and finding little puzzles to solve, both to power up your falcon so it can fly more and higher, and also to get keys to shine lights onto the bosses so you can fight them. The navigation with the dash-shoot target to refill dash-repeat is also quite satisfying.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In Phoenotopia there's a guild you meet in the third main continent whose whole gimmick is "you know what's cool? Puzzles. We love that stuff so much we built our own puzzle dungeons. Here's a song you can play to unlock them, and a shop full of poo poo you can have but only if you solve them all. Good luck!"

One of them I've found was basically just junior sudoku. When you figure it out you have to prove it by matching the symbols to the notes on your flute, and it'll open the next door. :allears: i wish they would just go all-out, the puzzles are too simple!

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Yeah, you can cast Feather Fall and jump into the hole, allowing you to enter the area fairly early. If you don't cast it and jump anyway, you die a scripted death (no matter how much health you have).
There's another fallen body in roughly the same area which the characters comment upon, so the voiceline might be for that one.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What quote's topic title from? I have a suspicion it's from turbo overkill

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
You got it, from the last page

Breetai posted:

Turbo Overkill is an amazingly fun Boomer Shooter that is a complete love letter to '90's FPS action. I'm firing my rocket launcher so that I can use my grappling hook on the rocket to fly up into the sky and rain death down on my opponents, and traversing landscapes by using a sniper rifle that transports me into the target's body telefragging them, I am averaging about 3 kills per second when in the middle of a combat arena, and I am replenishing both my health and armour via cutting through swathes of enemies with my chainsaw leg.

This morning I was playing and came across this room:

If you know, you know.

Breetai posted:

All four of my limbs are now chainsaws and a major antagonist just mocked me for not getting a chainsaw dick as well. I killed him by calling down an orbital strike from a geosynchronous ion cannon, which is a regular-rear end weapon I carry, not in a cutscene.. This was after I responded to a trash mob kicking me in the nuts by kicking him in the nuts.

Chainsaw leg.

Also this game has *shock style audio logs that are completely nonsensical, melodramatic and poorly written garbage that directly poke fun at video game plot conventions.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Did you catch the Unreal tournament reference? Something being on deck 16 when you're dealing with the merc outfit

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did you catch the Unreal tournament reference? Something being on deck 16 when you're dealing with the merc outfit

I did not, but that's loving great.

Finished the game but leaving it installed for whenever I want to have a quick blast or tear through the early levels with full upgrades

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just did the first boss in The Pathless. They are very chill but also quite fun as you chase them down hitting targets on their body when you can, then it takes you to an arena where they get more aggressive as you finish them off. I like that they are the only enemies in the game too, the bosses.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Morpheus posted:

I'm genuinely impressed with how closely Baldur's Gate 3 adheres to 5th edition rules. Haven't seen something this faithful since the PC game Temple of Elemental Evil

Apart from when they decided to make stupid changes, like adding critical miss mechanics to skill checks ("+17 to a DC 5 check? LOL, guess the character you spent a lot of work on making sure they could do something is out of luck!"). Part of the reason I set it aside for Starfield for now is the RNG nonsense was getting too frustrating, and BG3 seems way too fond of stacking up loads of dice rolls in a single conversation/encounter until you inevitably fail them. Starfield has its own troubles, but at least I can count on being able to do what I set out to do.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, I deliberately picked the last name Kirk on my PC figuring I'd get "Captain Kirk" from Vasco. Though honestly given how robotic they made him they missed the boat on just giving him an AI voice reader which would have worked for all names.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Starfield one of the side missions you can go on is trying to get through a secret base that is full of traps. Once you get through you get the spacesuit, helmet and ship of the legendary pirate "The Mantis." The fun thing is if you're flying around in the Mantis' ship sometimes enemies will recognize it and instead of fighting they'll run away.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

In Starfield one of the side missions you can go on is trying to get through a secret base that is full of traps. Once you get through you get the spacesuit, helmet and ship of the legendary pirate "The Mantis." The fun thing is if you're flying around in the Mantis' ship sometimes enemies will recognize it and instead of fighting they'll run away.
Despite the fact that The Mantis has been a legend for a long time and her ship is, frankly, and out-of-date rustbucket.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Armored Core 6 brought the most unexpected form of positive representation I think I've ever seen:

Mech parts specifically based on sports wheelchairs that are explicitly said to be popular with disabled soldiers, holy poo poo, that makes so much sense.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Cleretic posted:

Armored Core 6 brought the most unexpected form of positive representation I think I've ever seen:

Mech parts specifically based on sports wheelchairs that are explicitly said to be popular with disabled soldiers, holy poo poo, that makes so much sense.

Kojima: A tank needs legs

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'm kind of going through some heavy poo poo right now and am a little stoned, but the final line to Genital Jousting's story mode broke me, brought me to tears.

"The world is hard,' said Sam. 'But we don't have to be.'"

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I loved that when I read it.

The ultimate Combat Wheelchair.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Kitfox88 posted:

Crimson 1's entire character arc is 'absolute unceasing meltdown', it's wonderful. I also loved Prez piping up now and then if you were in a two-seater. :allears:

I loved how Prez is actually the company mechanic but they mention that she's the only one physically able to keep up with the G forces the player character puts their plane through, so she gets to be his weapons officer in two-seat planes.

And then in the last boss fight if you have a two-seat plane there's dialogue of her trying to stay conscious and failing, because you're so determined to turn Crimson 1 into a crater that you're flying like you've never flown before

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah, PW was just an absolutely stellar Ace Combat clone on every level but having an actual WSO for two-seaters surpassed even the inspiration.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m playing Horizon Dawn forbidden west and I appreciate that Aloy just does not give a poo poo about anything when dealing with people

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

oldpainless posted:

I’m playing Horizon Dawn forbidden west and I appreciate that Aloy just does not give a poo poo about anything when dealing with people

the first game was amazing with how many times someone was like, “oh hey. you’re beautiful” and she’d just be like, “yeah ok. you need me to kill a robot or something right”

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

codenameFANGIO posted:

the first game was amazing with how many times someone was like, “oh hey. you’re beautiful” and she’d just be like, “yeah ok. you need me to kill a robot or something right”

I like how self-aware Aloy is, like in the first game there's an interaction where someone asks her for help with a favour and she's like "Why are you asking me?" "You're the only one psychotic enough to do something like this given all the robots in the area" "Heh, fair."

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've honestly felt like aloy might be on the autism spectrum without it ever being outright mentioned. The way she interacts with people always seemed to me like she doesn't quite... get them. It put me off her as a main character a bit, she'll have friends go to her in various states of emotion and all she could offer was an annoyed "not now, do we have to?"

However it is absolutely a very unique characterisation for a female lead so I get why it speaks to people.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Aloy's main struggle is that most people fail to see her as a real person. Everyone she meets knows her as an outcast, or a savior, or a symbol for something or other, which frustrates her endlessly. But for most of the first two games, Aloy doesn't actually see herself as a real person, either. She chooses to carry a tremendous burden alone, nearly dies for it, and only in seeing her literal reflection made manifest comes to realize that she can walk her own path. One thing that feels like a deliberate choice is that Aloy's voice is noticeably huskier in HFW, as if she's trying to imitate Elisabet Sobeck even harder.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

She grew up entirely alone and shunned by her peers and interacting with a device 24/7, the metaphor is thick enough to cut with a knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

My Lovely Horse posted:

She grew up entirely alone and shunned by her peers and interacting with a device 24/7, the metaphor is thick enough to cut with a knife

i agree, she should be killed. haven't played the game btw

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)