Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

leper khan posted:

Per install fee. Have you read any of the gacha threads? Couple sweaty people gun their rerolls and you're out of business. The joke about uninstall reinstall is already normal procedure with them.

Yeah for anyone unfamiliar, it's standard practice with the gacha hardcore to delete your data and reinstall the game if your starting rolls aren't good enough. People even use account IDs to try and identify their RNG seed and will keep reinstalling until they get one they like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
A Unity dev went off-script on the official forums and tried answering questions and expressing their own frustrations.

The key point is that they haven't figured out how they're going to count installs yet (beyond that it'll be per-user) and the whole thing has been kicked out half-cooked despite weeks of internal protest.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Imagine being a Unity employee. Years writing a platform that becomes nuclear waste overnight.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The Kins posted:

A Unity dev went off-script on the official forums and tried answering questions and expressing their own frustrations.

The key point is that they haven't figured out how they're going to count installs yet (beyond that it'll be per-user) and the whole thing has been kicked out half-cooked despite weeks of internal protest.

Former* unity dev.

*soon to be former

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

No Wave posted:

Imagine being a Unity employee. Years writing a platform that becomes nuclear waste overnight.

"Well after I got laid off from Twitter last year, I decided to finally chase my real passion and get a job in game engine develop-- sorry we're what"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

leper khan posted:

Former* unity dev.

*soon to be former
Its nice to know that there are a lot of sane people working at unity who have no decision-making power whatsoever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every other engine, including rpgmaker, is using this as free advertising, too

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No Wave posted:

Its nice to know that there are a lot of sane people working at unity who have no decision-making power whatsoever.

Well, one fewer as that person is absolutely done working there now, heh.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
lol that they haven't even figured out how to count installs? are they just going to beg all the various storefronts for that data?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lih posted:

lol that they haven't even figured out how to count installs? are they just going to beg all the various storefronts for that data?

going by the 'probably undercount' and 'dont want to count piracy/fradulent copies' i imagine they're literally just planning to guess

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

lih posted:

Theyre just going to send you a bill based on their porprietary methodology. Don't worry theyre serious business people.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Because surely no one would ever sue them for actual hard proof of their numbers claims!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

every other engine, including rpgmaker, is using this as free advertising, too
Isn't the latest version of RPG Maker a Unity plugin?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Regalingualius posted:

Because surely no one would ever sue them for actual hard proof of their numbers claims!
facebook, twitch and probably youtube have been juicing view counts since time immemorial and managed to get away with it just fine. at least in this case, devs can threaten to cut ties completely

on top of the wga strikes where residuals can’t get paid out in part because streaming services refuse to share numbers unless basically ordered to by pro-union-ish govs

kliras fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 13, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The Kins posted:

Isn't the latest version of RPG Maker a Unity plugin?

Yes. They still dunked on unity.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

kliras posted:

facebook, twitch and probably youtube have been juicing view counts since time immemorial and managed to get away with it just fine. at least in this case, devs can threaten to cut ties completely

on top of the wag strikes where residuals can’t get paid out in part because streaming services refuse to share numbers unless basically ordered to by pro-union-sign govs

Well Facebook didn't exactly get away with it and torched their platform as a media destination as a result.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kliras posted:

facebook, twitch and probably youtube have been juicing view counts since time immemorial and managed to get away with it just fine
they would have a harder time of this if they were charging you per view

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Aren't Twitch view numbers actually counted rather strictly (because it's Twitch who actually has to pay the streamers)? Like, Twitter is definitely making up view numbers (there's no way a tweet with a few thousand likes has half a million views) but no one gives a poo poo about Twitter views.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mycot posted:

Aren't Twitch view numbers actually counted rather strictly (because it's Twitch who actually has to pay the streamers)? Like, Twitter is definitely making up view numbers (there's no way a tweet with a few thousand likes has half a million views) but no one gives a poo poo about Twitter views.
Twitch doesnt pay by view unless ads are shown. Their views are mostly reliable afaik with a few exceptions (things like fextralife wiki embedding views, plus an extremely sketchy service twitch itself offered to boost view counts that I dont think exists anymore).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also questionable embeds that people don’t notice, which was a Fandom wiki thing

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

No Wave posted:

Twitch doesnt pay by view unless ads are shown. Their views are mostly reliable afaik with a few exceptions (things like fextralife wiki embedding views, plus an extremely sketchy service twitch itself offered to boost view counts that I dont think exists anymore).
they weren't even selling views, they were selling impressions

fextralife are very blatant in what they do, but a lot of people have stuff like embedded streams on the websites of their games to make a promoted stream perform better every now and then. and some of the streamers complaining about fextrlife have embedded streams on their own websites

i think embedded clips also gain views just by the page they're on loading, regardless of engagement. might even get it from web crawlers. if this assumption is true, it's basically an impression metric, not a view metric

and the twitch drops system (per-game rewards for x hours of watchtime) also conveniently make it unclear just how popular the actual game or event is outside of the people running it in 160p in a background tab with the volume at 1% to claim the limited exclusive skin

kliras fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 13, 2023

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

DaveKap posted:

BTW it's kind of a shame that one of the larger problems isn't being talked about at all. For people unaffected because they're making less than $200k per year, removing the Plus plan means that anyone who wants to remove the "Made with Unity" splash screen has to pay $2k a year. Prior to today it was $400 a year. I think it used to be even less a few years ago.

This is their real target. Big companies already negotiate for special terms, and the fact that the cost per install goes DOWN as you install more means they don't want one company selling 10 million+ copies of a game and charging 1 cent per install, they want 100 companies selling 200,000+ copies at $0.20 per install.

Really, they feel short changed by the rare games like Battlebit which made a massive hit which BLEW EVERYONE AWAY, beat the pants off the game dev they were directly competing with, and had a literal 1.47 million% increase in active players at launch. That team used the loving hobby license and still has the "Made with Unity" splash page because they're just a team of 3 guys and don't care about that, purely want the game to be good, run well, and to not be microtransaction hell like modern Battlefield games. These are the people that JR wants to gently caress over, probably because they're directly showing that his reign over EA and Battlefield was loving Dog poo poo and 3 rando's with minimal experience making games made a better product over a few years than he could get a whole studio to create over a decade.

I guarantee you this is personally motivated at least in part to attack the BattleBit guys because of JR's former connection to EA/DICE.

Crain fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 13, 2023

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Crain posted:

This is their real target. Big companies already negotiate for special terms, and the fact that the cost per install goes DOWN as you install more means they don't want one company selling 10 million+ copies of a game and charging 1 cent per install, they want 100 companies selling 200,000+ copies at $0.20 per install.

Really, they feel short changed by the rare games like Battlebit which made a massive hit which BLEW EVERYONE AWAY, beat the pants off the game dev they were directly competing with, and had a literal 1.47 million% increase in active players at launch. That team used the loving hobby license and still has the "Made with Unity" splash page because they're just a team of 3 guys and don't care about that, purely want the game to be good, run well, and to not be microtransaction hell like modern Battlefield games. These are the people that JR wants to gently caress over, probably because they're directly showing that his reign over EA and Battlefield was loving Dog poo poo and 3 rando's with minimal experience making games made a better product over a few years than he could get a whole studio to create over a decade.

I guarantee you this is personally motivated at least in part to attack the BattleBit guys because of JR's former connection to EA/DICE.

I hadn't even considered this but it honestly makes a lot of sense if you know/met JR.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

njsykora posted:

Yeah for anyone unfamiliar, it's standard practice with the gacha hardcore to delete your data and reinstall the game if your starting rolls aren't good enough. People even use account IDs to try and identify their RNG seed and will keep reinstalling until they get one they like.

In many games you can just hit a button to wipe your save data and start from scratch.
Deleting, redownloading and reinstalling the whole game takes way longer and people only do it if the game doesn't have a proper delete-save-data button.

Of course some mobile devs ship without one for the first few weeks/months just to make rerolling harder and slower before patching it in later.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

In many games you can just hit a button to wipe your save data and start from scratch.
Deleting, redownloading and reinstalling the whole game takes way longer and people only do it if the game doesn't have a proper delete-save-data button.

Of course some mobile devs ship without one for the first few weeks/months just to make rerolling harder and slower before patching it in later.

Gacha players, like most gamblers, are also superstitious as hell and if that's become the standard "method" of """"ensuring"""" a different/better seed it doesn't matter what the game says, they're going to do their little mantra to get them good rolls/pulls/cards.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Crain posted:

This is a really interesting point.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Crain posted:

Gacha players, like most gamblers, are also superstitious as hell and if that's become the standard "method" of """"ensuring"""" a different/better seed it doesn't matter what the game says, they're going to do their little mantra to get them good rolls/pulls/cards.

If you don’t whisper the SSR unit’s name while you pull they won’t show up ok

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1701791508285063587

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

njsykora posted:

Well Facebook didn't exactly get away with it and torched their platform as a media destination as a result.

lol yeah we can't have history revisionism on this. Facebook literally went to poo poo overnight and has literally never recovered since.

holy poo poo man lol

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you don’t whisper the SSR unit’s name while you pull they won’t show up ok

Who doesn't make little talismans to help guarantee that 5-star pull? A new one lovingly crafted for every single roll, of course. Plus making or buying the character's favorite food.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I work in a different industry (politics!) and there's something similar happening. One particularly useful tool got bought up by venture capital tech bros and they've introduced a ton of onerous fees and changes. So far here's been multiple waves of layoffs. And their revenue sources have increased so it looks good on a spreadsheet.

But there's also now a literal race to create an alternative because everyone knows we're hosed in the long term. And this is a company that has had a near monopoly so... great job guys!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

VMware did something a bit like this for virtualization, but still technically left an extremely crippled free option available.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

lol

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Terrible Opinions posted:

VMware did something a bit like this for virtualization, but still technically left an extremely crippled free option available.

Looking forward to the corpse of Unity getting bought by Broadcom.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hooboy if that's what Unity's lawyers are actually like, they are going to be buried in court. I really hope Unity's actually developers all jump ship with as much code as they can legally use and reestablish themselves as an independent studio.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i love the post strongly suggesting that whatever they come up with, it won't be a technical solution (at least not one Unity manages itself--maybe they strike some agreement with the marketplaces, but lol still):

> There will not be an embedded "phone home" mechanism
> Unity hasn't actually completely figured out how to count installs yet. Whatever the solution is, it will be conservative.
> Yes, in this current form, it's possible for successful games with very high install counts and low enough per-install revenue to lose money when more people install their game. When this is raised internally, the answer is "we would fix this with the customer to not bankrupt them". It would be great to prevent this upstream in the actual policy.

i guess realistically nobody comes out and says this, but this is basically the standard enterprise software sales model where the vendor charges whatever the gently caress they think they can wring out of you, but tries to justify it with some funny numbers so it doesn't feel completely arbitrary, or so you feel like you're getting a good discount when it's inevitably negotiated down below the ostensibly fair sticker price.

it's impressive that they managed to simultaneously screw over the smaller shops that are big enough to pass the threshold, but far too small for even the most under-quota sales rep to so much as give the time of day

ed:

Randalor posted:

Hooboy if that's what Unity's lawyers are actually like, they are going to be buried in court. I really hope Unity's actually developers all jump ship with as much code as they can legally use and reestablish themselves as an independent studio.

contracts specifying their jurisdiction is pretty common in international or inter-state stuff. you generally can do that fine. there is a carve out for certain cases, but it probably doesn't apply to most games past the threshold, only purely hobby efforts:

> If you habitually reside in a Member State of the European Union or the EEA, the United Kingdom or Switzerland, and are acting as a consumer (i.e., for a purpose which can be regarded as outside your trade craft or profession), the foregoing choice of governing law will not deprive you of the protection afforded to you by provisions that cannot be derogated from by agreement by virtue of the laws applicable where you habitually reside. In addition, you may bring proceedings in relation to any claim against Unity either in the courts of the country in which Unity is domiciled or in the courts for the place where you are domiciled, and proceedings may be brought against you only in the courts of the country in which you are domiciled.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 13, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Unity does not consent to the laws of other countries and thus is not bound by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

No Wave posted:

Unity does not consent to the laws of other countries and thus is not bound by them.

The court in California that they would be sued in has gold fringe on their flag, making it a maritime court, and thus powerless to litigate against Unity’s big brain business moves.