Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This is what pops up on screen during the transition to combat mode. It's a lot of the same visual/UI elements that you see outside of the mech in between missions and during briefings. "Combat mode" appears to be the AC syncing up with 621's augments while elements of the in game HUD begin appearing one by one.

There are also a few times where the AC is being piloted outside of combat mode, like in the intro to Infiltrate Grid 086.

AtomikKrab posted:

621 might not even have any viewscreens etc while in the mech, he just hooks directly into the sensor feed.

The C-PULSE stuff that 621 has is coral based extra sensory perception. The game doesn't go into detail about what exactly that is, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that 621 sees the exterior of the robot through that.

WaltherFeng posted:

I'm assuming hall AC pilots use helmets with integrated HUD like fighter pilots or wanzer pilots in Front Mission

The in between missions HUD shows things like 621's vital signs and readings from their augments. I really doubt it's just a helmet, especially since they still have it after being captured by Arquebus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AtomikKrab posted:

If you take time to look at your screen while 621 is crawling to the robot? You still have all the HUD stuff you see normally while in the giant robot. 621 might not even have any viewscreens etc while in the mech, he just hooks directly into the sensor feed.

That owns

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Ch.4 climax spoilers:

"Who needs you?" is the sickest line in the game so far

The most interesting bit about that line is that it's a serious, earnest question. Rusty really wants to understand - and to help you understand - who you are and what you're fighting for.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I beat newgame++. I thought it was funny that the end battle is basically just fighting over who gets to push the button? You do what the AI wanted anyway, but Iguazu isn't invited. I had assumed the 3rd ending was going to make the Fires of Raven ending make more sense by exposing something bad about the Coral. Fires of Raven is basically "everyone remembers you as the biggest jerk in the universe and you suck, why did you pick this?" The game keeps hinting that something is real bad about Coral but never really delivers besides that humans used it for nasty augmentation experiments. I assumed you'd figure out why Coral is so bad to release to setup a confrontation with Allmind.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still want an ending where you realize you're not getting the big payout you're expecting and leave

It's not your job to give a gently caress!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nice Van My Man posted:

I beat newgame++. I thought it was funny that the end battle is basically just fighting over who gets to push the button? You do what the AI wanted anyway, but Iguazu isn't invited. I had assumed the 3rd ending was going to make the Fires of Raven ending make more sense by exposing something bad about the Coral. Fires of Raven is basically "everyone remembers you as the biggest jerk in the universe and you suck, why did you pick this?" The game keeps hinting that something is real bad about Coral but never really delivers besides that humans used it for nasty augmentation experiments. I assumed you'd figure out why Coral is so bad to release to setup a confrontation with Allmind.

i think that a black hole enveloping reality and presumably consuming all of exstence is supposed to be a bad thing

idk why from were too cowardly to have the coral singularity destroy everything like they said it would

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

There's more to it than fighting over a button. ALLMIND is pretty overtly trying to use Coral Release as a way to exert total control over everything - bringing order to chaos. Stopping ALLMIND means giving everyone else a chance to decide for themselves what to do.

They explain what Overseer is afraid of with regards to Coral in one of the logs you can find, I think on the mission where you go back into the hosed up tunnel in chapter 3 to dig up old pre-fires logs. But really the thing Overseer is afraid of is the same thing Dolmayan and O'Keefe are afraid of - Coral Release could go bad so they think it's safer to just genocide the Coral and stick with the current human status quo.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Nice Van My Man posted:

I think Allmind wanted to forcefully assimilate Raven and Ayre into Allmind. But why stop there? Maybe it wanted to assimilate all of humanity and Coral under its control

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WaltherFeng posted:

I think Allmind wanted to forcefully assimilate Raven and Ayre into Allmind. But why stop there? Maybe it wanted to assimilate all of humanity and Coral under its control

Allmind exists for all mercenaries.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

net cafe scandal posted:

Ch.4 climax spoilers:

"Who needs you?" is the sickest line in the game so far

close but it's actually this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlXVkWXreQk

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

That makes sense. It didn't seem that great at using it to control people, even Iguazu seemed to be able to break free at will so I didn't quite get what the stakes were during the battle.

turn off the TV posted:

i think that a black hole enveloping reality and presumably consuming all of exstence is supposed to be a bad thing

idk why from were too cowardly to have the coral singularity destroy everything like they said it would

Oh no, a horrible black hole, I've made a terrible mistake! Psych, Robo beach party!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/touhucheese/status/1700863364094931437?t=iSnMBDsyB73RfnPKdJUuUQ&s=19

Who needs assault armour when you can just put up a bubble shield.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

chiasaur11 posted:

I love how Michigan always calls 621 "Gun 13". No matter what you do, no matter if you try to murder him, you're still one of his pilots, worthy of respect for success and mockery in failure.

Kind of makes sense, considering how many of the other Redguns have tried to kill him one time or another, but it's still nice.

Michigan is brash and insulting, but you can tell that he cares for his troops. He knows all of them by name, and with the exception of G5 Iguazu everyone seems to genuinely respect the guy.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

MachuPikacchu posted:

Michigan is brash and insulting, but you can tell that he cares for his troops. He knows all of them by name, and with the exception of G5 Iguazu everyone seems to genuinely respect the guy.

You can tell by his final mission where he tells everyone “get the gently caress out of here, G13 will kill you all” and they stay behind to fight anyways

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

He compliments Iguazu of all people

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

That makes sense. It didn't seem that great at using it to control people, even Iguazu seemed to be able to break free at will so I didn't quite get what the stakes were during the battle.

Oh no, a horrible black hole, I've made a terrible mistake! Psych, Robo beach party!

ALLMIND, like Snail, is definitely arrogant. It doesn't really seem to understand what motivates people and just kinda boils them down to arena stats.

As for the beach party - Coral has been historically treated as an economic resource to be exploited, a spiritual drug to be consumed/contained, or a horrific portent of doom to be eradicated. Now you've made a shitload of sapient coral, spread it throughout the galaxy, and gave it access to giant war machines. Like that could go really badly for humanity. It could go really well - some Coral could make really cool podcasts or something. But it's definitely gonna get weird. 100 chapters of "my coworker is an intelligent waveform and has a really cute voice?!" weird.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

idk why from didn't adjust the direct hit bonus to make all weapons maintain equivalent ratios of DPS over the span of the one-two second window of ACS failure

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

TGLT posted:

ALLMIND, like Snail, is definitely arrogant. It doesn't really seem to understand what motivates people and just kinda boils them down to arena stats.

As for the beach party - Coral has been historically treated as an economic resource to be exploited, a spiritual drug to be consumed/contained, or a horrific portent of doom to be eradicated. Now you've made a shitload of sapient coral, spread it throughout the galaxy, and gave it access to giant war machines. Like that could go really badly for humanity. It could go really well - some Coral could make really cool podcasts or something. But it's definitely gonna get weird. 100 chapters of "my coworker is an intelligent waveform and has a really cute voice?!" weird.

I also thought we'd hear what some of the other Coral voices said. It seemed like Thumb Dolmayan was hearing a Coral voice and seemed to turn against it at some point. I also thought it was hinting that Walter had a Coral voice but I guess not.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

WaltherFeng posted:

And Allmind assimilates us by... destroying our AC? Or is that just Iguazu being Iguazu? I'm kinda hoping it's the former though because that would mean Walter, Carla and Chatty would still be alive as coral ghosts

Also random shower thought but since coral can possess ACs, does that mean that whenever a new AC is built you basically gacha a random pilot? So on one AC you can roll super 5-star ace 621, but on the other hand maybe you get Iguazu instead. :v:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

I also thought we'd hear what some of the other Coral voices said. It seemed like Thumb Dolmayan was hearing a Coral voice and seemed to turn against it at some point. I also thought it was hinting that Walter had a Coral voice but I guess not.

Yeah, Thumb Dolmayan talked with a Coral mutant called Seria. He was going to do Coral Release first himself but in the end got cold feet and backed out. Then he taught everyone else that the thing to do was just keep Coral contained in Rubicon and never ever let it escape. As for Walter, I think that's more a hint that he knows a lot more about things than he lets on because his dad was one of the Institute scientists. There's a log in Stop The Secret Data Breach that is about (probably) young Walter and Carla meeting each other pre-Ibis. e:here's the log

Exodee posted:

And Allmind assimilates us by... destroying our AC? Or is that just Iguazu being Iguazu? I'm kinda hoping it's the former though because that would mean Walter, Carla and Chatty would still be alive as coral ghosts

Also random shower thought but since coral can possess ACs, does that mean that whenever a new AC is built you basically gacha a random pilot? So on one AC you can roll super 5-star ace 621, but on the other hand maybe you get Iguazu instead. :v:

Column A and column B, I think. There's definitely some sort of way to absorb some one who's dying since ALLMIND does it with Iguazu, but also Iguazu very much just wants to kill us and does not give a poo poo about any grand plans.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 13, 2023

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nice Van My Man posted:

im pretty sure that iguazu is not hearing real voices and is actually just crazy. it doesn't' seem like he's ever actually able to hear ayre speaking, unlike walter

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

im pretty sure that iguazu is not hearing real voices and is actually just crazy. it doesn't' seem like he's ever actually able to hear ayre speaking, unlike walter

He sees/hears her in the last fight, but before then he just gets really bad tinnitus whenever Coral tries to speak. Gen 1 to Gen 4 augments all have the potential to chat with Coral but I guess it doesn't work for all of them.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Exodee posted:

In the fight Allmind says "621, Ayre, you are the trigger for Coral Release. We will make you one with us" to which Iguazu immediately says "I don't care about the plan, I just want that freelancer DEAD".

so maybe?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

WaltherFeng posted:

In the fight Allmind says "621, Ayre, you are the trigger for Coral Release. We will make you one with us" to which Iguazu immediately says "I don't care about the plan, I just want that freelancer DEAD".

so maybe?

Yeah but if you die in the first phase Allmind mentions something about you becoming part of them IIRC.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TGLT posted:

He sees/hears her in the last fight, but before then he just gets really bad tinnitus whenever Coral tries to speak. Gen 1 to Gen 4 augments all have the potential to chat with Coral but I guess it doesn't work for all of them.

he says "you're the one who is causing the ringing!" when ayre shows up in a giant robot. he still just talks about the voices and ringing being gone in the phase 3 transition.

you also hear ringing whenever ayre speaks, btw. or if you're near a lot of coral in general.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

turn off the TV posted:

idk why from didn't adjust the direct hit bonus to make all weapons maintain equivalent ratios of DPS over the span of the one-two second window of ACS failure

It makes sense for weapons to have different niches

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I think the idea is to not rely on a specific weapon type and build a balanced loadout that can deal consistent damage but also do quick burst damage during stagger.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

he says "you're the one who is causing the ringing!" when ayre shows up in a giant robot. he still just talks about the voices and ringing being gone in the phase 3 transition.

you also hear ringing whenever ayre speaks, btw. or if you're near a lot of coral in general.

Yeah everyone (who's augmented) gets the tinnitus effect, but it seems to be most of what Iguazu gets. He does mention voices, so I guess he can hear them too actually and just ignores them? Or writes them off or whatever. The ringing stops for him because the big phase 3 transition disrupts nearby Coral, same reason why Ayre can't keep fighting. e: Either way though I don't think Iguazu's hallucinating anything. It's either his augments don't work as well as 621's or he's just too self-absorbed to pay attention.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 13, 2023

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/725307329658224640/1151534954572943390/18a8f128e2787-master_playlist.mp4

Styling so hard on Balteus in NG++ that it doesn't even get to phase 2 is pretty funny.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The starting VCPL plasma rifle seems to have much better all-around stats than every single laser rifle in the game, including the massive double Arquebus rifle unlocked in the midgame. What do laser rifles have going for them to justify their weight/energy cost?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Also man it's hilarious how fast small-medium AC fights go with the slicer. Once you stagger them you can take them from like 90% to 0% HP in one two-swing combo, skip all the health pack bullshit. It's ridiculous.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Exodee posted:

Yeah but if you die in the first phase Allmind mentions something about you becoming part of them IIRC.
My thoughts on ng++ ending are 621 and Ayre were already on their way to assimilation after 621 was offlined in the mission where you kill Pater. Then Allmind wakes you up in an emergency to deal with the Flying Ship while she deals with Carla/Walter. She needs you back afterwards and Igazau is what she picks to handle that

It's all kind of hand wavy though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

The starting VCPL plasma rifle seems to have much better all-around stats than every single laser rifle in the game, including the massive double Arquebus rifle unlocked in the midgame. What do laser rifles have going for them to justify their weight/energy cost?

I think it's that laser weapons benefit from generator energy weapon boost stat while plasma ones don't? I might be wrong though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I never really figured out the factors stuff in the plot myself. I have some hand wavy thoughts but eh.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Darth Walrus posted:

Projectile speed and I wanna say don't overheat as fast but it's mostly the former

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Captain Foo posted:

It makes sense for weapons to have different niches

yea so i don't see what the problem is since that would expand the weapon niches beyond "deals all of their DPS in two seconds" and "bad."

TGLT posted:

Yeah everyone (who's augmented) gets the tinnitus effect, but it seems to be most of what Iguazu gets. He does mention voices, so I guess he can hear them too actually and just ignores them? Or writes them off or whatever. The ringing stops for him because the big phase 3 transition disrupts nearby Coral, same reason why Ayre can't keep fighting. e: Either way though I don't think Iguazu's hallucinating anything. It's either his augments don't work as well as 621's or he's just too self-absorbed to pay attention.

The data log you find in the Attack the Watchpoint mission indicates that Ayre is probably the only talking coral on the planet, besides maybe Seira who is possibly dead. it's why Sulla is there, ALLMIND sends him to make contact with Ayre since having an augmented human make contact is necessary for its plans. Iguazu is almost certainly just hallucinating because of his augments loving up. like part of what the gen 4 augments specifically do is use coral to create sensory perceptions, if that isn't working right then you'd probably hear or see some really weird poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's important to note in the Alea Iacta Est ending that ALLMIND deliberately set up a three-way fight between you, Snail, and Iguazu, apparently in an effort to determine which of you would be its most effective still-living agent, and then hijacked all the Arquebus-PCA tech it could access in order to "recruit" as many pilots as it could by killing them (it's not completely clear how it can do this, but it's clear that it can and does do that). It then brought back Iguazu as a pseudo-living representative of the "recruited" pilots who most especially wanted to kill you so that you and Ayre's deceased minds could also be assimilated. It did this because, like Arquebus's R&D division, it recognised that human minds were superior to AIs as pilots, and it was too arrogant to imagine that this might also make itself vulnerable if it let a resurrected human mind - let alone an entire resentful collective of all of 621's victims - take the reins.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

It's important to note in the Alea Iacta Est ending that ALLMIND deliberately set up a three-way fight between you, Snail, and Iguazu, apparently in an effort to determine which of you would be its most effective still-living agent, and then hijacked all the Arquebus-PCA tech it could access in order to "recruit" as many pilots as it could by killing them (it's not completely clear how it can do this, but it's clear that it can and does do that). It then brought back Iguazu as a pseudo-living representative of the "recruited" pilots who most especially wanted to kill you so that you and Ayre's deceased minds could also be assimilated. It did this because, like Arquebus's R&D division, it recognised that human minds were superior to AIs as pilots, and it was too arrogant to imagine that this might also make itself vulnerable if it let a resurrected human mind - let alone an entire resentful collective of all of 621's victims - take the reins.

Wait so they could have chosen Snail instead? Man that just makes Iguazu an even bigger mistake.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Darth Walrus posted:

ALLMIND needs a gen 1-4 augmented human who has made contact. Snail isn't gen 1-4 and Iguazu hasn't made contact. ALLMIND is not making the three fight to the death to prove that they're worthy or w/e. 621 dying there would gently caress them over since it'd kill the augmented human they can use right now while also potentially killing Ayre in the process.

I think you also misread that note from the Escape mission, it's saying that their brain in a jar tests are horrible failures because they're worse than regular bodied human pilots and as bad as AIs. That is, presumably, why ALLMIND is developing the MIND series AC parts, since it'd let an AI or brain in a jar feel like they have a body and presumably make them more good at robot driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

ALLMIND needs a gen 1-4 augmented human who has made contact. Snail isn't gen 1-4 and Iguazu hasn't made contact. ALLMIND is not making the three fight to the death to prove that they're worthy or w/e. 621 dying there would gently caress them over since it'd kill the augmented human they can use right now while also potentially killing Ayre in the process.

I think you also misread that note from the Escape mission, it's saying that their brain in a jar tests are horrible failures because they're worse than regular bodied human pilots and as bad as AIs. That is, presumably, why ALLMIND is developing the MIND series AC parts, since it'd let an AI or brain in a jar feel like they have a body and presumably make them more good at robot driving.

Iguazu says "There you are! Just like they said." when he joins the fight, and since only ALLMIND knows where you are it's safe to say it did at least send Iguazu there. Either it trusts you can deal with Iguazu or Iguazu is a viable candidate still - possibly if 621 dies Ayre can make contact with Iguazu. e: And really the latter seems like the only reasonable possibility, since there's no reason to risk forcing 621 to fight two people at once unless the plan can proceed with either 621 or Iguazu. Then sending in Iguazu lets it stack the deck against Snail.

Snail is definitely not a viable candidate though.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 13, 2023