Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Dwesa posted:

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1701915827325329464

Allegedly more than two ships/subs were damaged/destroyed

Geo-located the dry dock that was hit.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.610326,33.5378845,403m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu

See below.

Cranes, buildings, smoke stack, and green check mark (probably location of photographer given the power lines) all match up. Might be the actual sub in the dry dock but definitely different ships in Google Maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
My knowledge is, like from 20-30 year old videogames but iirc soviet doctrine for their nuclear attack subs was that they were built more for speed than stealth and thus were notoriously noisy compared to american boats.

So you had fast loud subs ostensibly to go out and intercept enemy ballistic missile subs and/or protect their own boomers, while the diesel/electrics did stealthy defense duties.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

What if ukraine bombed Moscow specifically to force the air defense to become concentrated in Moscow and open the airways up to bomb other actual targets not in Moscow

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

You can either defend your dacha or your naval base. Not both! :colbert:

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Tai posted:

Her account is still very likely to be under esttimating corruption in Ukraine tbh. It's been bad for a long time. Corruption was a big part of why Euromaidan kicked off. Ukrainians are just sick of it. And go gently caress yourself (not Mr. Merdle) if you believe conspiracy theory poo poo that Russia pushes about Euromaidan being CIA, NATO or whatever dumb poo poo.

Fun fact, only 17%(ish) of Russians polled by state owned Russian public opinion centre said yes that Russia should react to Euromaidan. Ya know..invade Crimea.

I agree. And well it may not be enough to cripple operations it's still enough to hamper them and there's a reasonable concern about giving too much before being able to confirm it will be properly accounted for.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Der Waffle Mous posted:

My knowledge is, like from 20-30 year old videogames but iirc soviet doctrine for their nuclear attack subs was that they were built more for speed than stealth and thus were notoriously noisy compared to american boats.

So you had fast loud subs ostensibly to go out and intercept enemy ballistic missile subs and/or protect their own boomers, while the diesel/electrics did stealthy defense duties.

edit: sorry, my first response was not great.

Please don't assume anything like that.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/TheDeadDistrict/status/1701957942910607800
Stage of acceptance, lmao

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1701944950198333750
Alternative source

zone fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 13, 2023

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

:lol:

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Flyinglemur posted:

Some sub chat if anyone still cares:

-Diesel boats are EXTREMELY quiet on battery but one of the tradeoffs that most people might not thing about is that they don't (or didn't as of a few years ago) have the power to operate a sufficient combat systems so to detect other quiet things in the ocean.

-Nuke subs are expensive. And not every country in the world has/can afford the technology to build and maintain a proper nuclear power plant. That is one reason why diesel subs are so common around the world.

Regarding the post that nuke boats spend less time in port because they don't need to refuel:
- still need food
- still need people running the boat. Trained people. I don't know how many nuclear prototype land-based trainers they have, but I'm guessing it doesn't matter as the rest of the Russian military is "not great"
Both of those things are for sure still an issue for nuke boats, but the small size of a diesel boat means they can't carry as much food. The longest I was submerged without coming up was 72 days on a 688. The Tridents can stay out longer because they can store more food and their sailors know that the mission requires longer submerged times but that is a whole other chestnut.
-the majority of Russia's nuclear subs are all rusting at the pier because of, well, every reason you've seen so far about the Russian MIC.

As far as the Dutch sub running amok in a US carrier group, we used to do the same thing to our own carrier groups routinely. My first CO was Captain Tracy, who later went on to become the first Sub Admiral in charge of a carrier group. Anyway we had to find and infiltrate one of our CGs. We did it with impunity, to the point that for our last run, we were ordered to do it surfaced. This is, of course, NOT how a sub would do any of that, so our skipper got on the announcing systerm and let everyone know. A large sail was made and attached to the snorkel mast. Everyone was ENCOURAGED to make as much noise as possible and we got pretty far into the group before we got "hit". This was also BEFORE down periscope came out. I remember my mom called me after she saw it and said, "no one is going to believe you guys now" and I agreed. It was a fun night though.

Thing about war games, especially international war games, like a pre-season football game (or friendly soccer game I suppose). The whole team is usually there but some of the big guns sit it out or don't always go "all in" because you maybe don't want to show all of your plays. It might be a friendly match, but the next time might not be.

We did one exercise where a P3 was hunting us. We had to run a set course, speed and depth and they still couldn't find us. We finally had to broach and run the diesel, so a portion of the sail was out of the water and we had a big ol' exhaust plume coming out and I remember specifically my CO on the periscope watching it go by, saying "well, there goes the P3." Not that they found us, but they flew on by and we had to end the exercise by fully surfacing. I know this is one anecdotal story, but I like it so here you have it :)

This really got away from me. Anyway the Kilo getting hit by an air-launched missile is absolutely a Das Poot moment, and I love whoever came up with that.

Here's the Smarter Every Day video on how weird and difficult sonar really is. Why can't you see a sub sitting right next to you? :words: Well, due to the temperature gradients and variying salinity of the water it created a shadow zone 100 yards away from the ship and.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqqaYs7LjlM

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

This Tatarigami tweet shows the damage in the dry dock, but visible in the lower left are docks where a higher res photo yesterday had another Kilo class sub in the water. Since yesterday the boom has been moved and it looks like a tug is gone. I wonder if the Kilo there put to sea after the attack?

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1701963714717474928?s=20

https://twitter.com/MT_Anderson/status/1701779895960117509?s=20

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1701964931732517162#m
Another boat got sunk today in the Black Sea

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Coolguye posted:

all of these random fires i have to wonder what the actual distribution of causes are

like ok, smoking accidents, yeah i am positive there's plenty of those. terrible maintenance being revealed by wartime shortages and stressors, absolutely. a lot are also undoubtedly due to ukranian drones, though a TV station would be outside their usual targets.

the part that i am curious about is cyberattacks. if you're using software, especially industrial software, poorly and don't have manual/hardware failsafes, some hacking can absolutely cause a gas valve to get stuck open and whoopsie poosums you're a spark away from a gas fire.

the thing is, because russia's been so huge about DoMiNaNcE oF cYb0r and the perpetrators aren't really going to be interested in claiming responsibility for cyberattacks (because that increases the chances of the vulnerabilities getting fixed), everyone involved in a cyberattack wouldn't say a drat thing about it. i can't help but wonder how many of these fires are someone hacking various gibsons around moscow.

None of the industries I've been involved in had remotely operable valves like that. Monitoring, sure, but it wouldn't have been physically capable of turning a valve. That was all for on site personnel who were going through their production checklists.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I would very much like Ukraine to invite musk to visit as part of a peace plan formulation because he is the only one that can save them and as soon as he sets foot on Ukrainian soil he's loving arrested.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/AChikadibi5200/status/1701990657823281580

zone
Dec 6, 2016

This is everyone's daily reminder that:
1) Puccia is begging schoolchildren for money
2) Begging Iran for shells, drones, and missiles
3) Begging China for anything they'll give
4) Begging North Korea for ammo and rockets
5) Begging India and China to buy oil for currency they can't use
6) They can't land an unmanned craft on the moon LMAO
7) Day 567 of 3 day "special military operation"
8) Increased the size of NATO
9) Caused the rearmament of Europe and America

V.V. Monke remains a master strategist.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQjPd4s9IhA

Baby sad

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

As sad as it is that they got to ask North Korea for munitions, it does concern me. Those are two powers that no one wants to see cooperating. I'm seeing second hand some of the combat exhaustion experienced by volunteers and foreign legionnaires here and a big component of what I think Ukranian had going for it was Russian armament and equipment failures and exhausting their stockpiles. I'm not saying that in an attritional War won't end with their victory but I am concerned about the time it will take

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

zone posted:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Don't forget that they're raiding the pension funds of their citizens.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

zone posted:

He also managed to get some of his own people out of prison! Not sure if it went well for them though. It didn't go well for them.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

OAquinas posted:

Don't forget that they're raiding the pension funds of their citizens.

Is that correct? I thought the "national welfare" fund, or what people otherwise called Putin's "war chest" was sufficiently large and still sufficient? Now, you can certainly argue that civil projects of repair, improvement, creation etc., will suffer and have been suffering. And it's those sorts of investment that maintain an economy. But has this lack of infrastructure spending also affected pensions yet?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I don't think y'all re factoring in that this will toughen up Russia and unify the country more than ever

I mean if you speak out? Donbass.
If you complain about conditions? Donbass.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

L bozo

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the popes toes posted:

Is that correct? I thought the "national welfare" fund, or what people otherwise called Putin's "war chest" was sufficiently large and still sufficient? Now, you can certainly argue that civil projects of repair, improvement, creation etc., will suffer and have been suffering. And it's those sorts of investment that maintain an economy. But has this lack of infrastructure spending also affected pensions yet?

Russia's war chest is overflowing with rupees (that they can't exchange).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zone posted:

L bozo

About time one of those submarines got got! :sickos:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

The_Franz posted:

Russia's war chest is overflowing with rupees (that they can't exchange).

India recently offered to let them reinvest those rupees in our country. We are a generous people. :laugh:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

zone posted:

India recently offered to let them reinvest those rupees in our country. We are a generous people. :laugh:

Store credit at a national level.

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

Lol NK strongarmed Russia. Unbelievable

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

About time one of those submarines got got! :sickos:

lol

There were reports that Ukraine may have damaged a sub last October, in the same drone attack that got the Admiral Makarov in port. I wonder if it's the same sub.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lmfao @ everything

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Sub chat: The Royal Navy has commissioned 32 nuclear-powered submarines over the years. While 21 have since been decommissioned, exactly zero have been disposed of. They're just slowly accumulating in dock, because successive governments haven't wanted to be the ones who pay for dealing with it. It's one major headache less if you go diesel.

Edit: 22. The first sub will be fully dismantled by 2026, 34 years after being decommissioned.

Nuclear has a lot of advantages, but the clean up is a major problem. Not in the sensationalist "it will kill us all" sense, just that it's expensive and time consuming to do right. There's a museum ship, the NSS Savannah, that was the first and only nuclear merchant ship in port in my city, and it's only open for visits on certain holidays because most of the time is still being spent on properly decommissioning and removing the reactor. She was deactivated in 1971. Incidentally, highly worth a visit if you happen to be in Baltimore on one of the holidays she's open for tours.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
1 more angle btw

https://x.com/BlackSky_Inc/status/1701994911887679598?s=20

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Log082 posted:

Nuclear has a lot of advantages, but the clean up is a major problem. Not in the sensationalist "it will kill us all" sense, just that it's expensive and time consuming to do right. There's a museum ship, the NSS Savannah, that was the first and only nuclear merchant ship in port in my city, and it's only open for visits on certain holidays because most of the time is still being spent on properly decommissioning and removing the reactor. She was deactivated in 1971. Incidentally, highly worth a visit if you happen to be in Baltimore on one of the holidays she's open for tours.
I gotta ask, what the gently caress have they been doing for fifty years? Are they cutting it out with shuriken thrown by top ranked ninja?

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Samovar posted:

Do any right-wingers point to these nutters and say 'these are people we can work with' or do they just simply refer to them under their umbrella term of leftists and leave it at that?

A useful idiot is recognized as a useful idiot. You don't work with them, you get them to do your work for you.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Nessus posted:

I gotta ask, what the gently caress have they been doing for fifty years? Are they cutting it out with shuriken thrown by top ranked ninja?

Progress has been made! They're almost done with the paperwork ,to request the decommissioning forms.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I see how UA's strategy for the next few months is unfolding. They expect a renewed missile barrage in winter against the power grid so attacking the launch platforms now, ships, subs, and those planes a few weeks back is an attempt to curtain those strikes in the winter time.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Nessus posted:

Are they cutting it out with shuriken thrown by top ranked ninja?

Close, but they could only afford lower ranked ninja...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Burns posted:

I see how UA's strategy for the next few months is unfolding. They expect a renewed missile barrage in winter against the power grid so attacking the launch platforms now, ships, subs, and those planes a few weeks back is an attempt to curtain those strikes in the winter time.

Correct. On top of pushing the air defense to concentrate around Moscow and leave their missile platforms exposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Ukraine is plugged into the European power grid at this point so that's not really a threat anymore. Power loss will be compensated for quickly.

The Black Sea Fleet keeps shrinking :byetankie: