Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Was St. Nazaire the raid where upon return, the commandos were asked, "Nevermind all that- did you bring back the Thompsons"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So when does Russia end up just....not having a fleet in the Black Sea anymore? They've been getting spanked on the open waters for a while, and now they're getting meritorious promotions to submarines while in port.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Must be a real entertaining day over in Chantilly.

:ukraine:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

bird food bathtub posted:

So when does Russia end up just....not having a fleet in the Black Sea anymore? They've been getting spanked on the open waters for a while, and now they're getting meritorious promotions to submarines while in port.

There hasn't been a lot of actual damage to major ships, there was the Moskva sunk, the Ivan Khurs supposedly suffered damage but was towed to an eastern port so it wasn't seen if there really was any, a few "patrol boats"(essentially speedboats with machineguns) have been sunk, some landing craft have been damaged and sunk and now a Kilo has suffered unspecified damage.

But they've still got a dozen missile frigates and corvettes, a half dozen subs and a bunch of other ships of varying types in their Black Sea fleet. As great as it is to see this damage, it's nowhere near destroying said fleet. What's probably more important about these strikes is that they might cause the Russians to either:

Relocate air defense systems to Sevastopol and away from the front lines/other soft targets

or

Relocate ships away from Sevastopol to other Black Sea ports where they'll have a longer round trip when going to hit Ukraine, which might make the missile barrages a bit less intense(which might be more likely to happen if this strike also damaged some important port facilities that might make it more difficult to berth and service ships in Sevastopol).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Now that's morale building confidence

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1701944950198333750

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Ukraine Thread: What do you mean "It happens"? There's a dump in Putin's pants bro!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Russian Kilo stars in movie Das Poot, in theaters now

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Flyinglemur posted:

Russian Kilo stars in movie Das Poot, in theaters now

Just Putin slowly making GBS threads himself on the docks as his sub burns a'la Capt.-Lt. Henrich Lehmann-Willenbrock from Das Boot

And instead of a Spitfire its a cardboard drone.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1702003307038814391

Looks like the Kilo is, if not a total loss, then definitely going to be getting welded back together for the rest of the war.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
another angle

https://x.com/BlackSky_Inc/status/1701994911887679598?s=20

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
lol if they actually destroyed the kilo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol if they actually destroyed the kilo

It was worth 2.2 American units!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Madurai posted:

When's the last time a cutting out mission was performed on a docked ship? US Civil War?

I was going to say the Mayaguez Incident might count but that wasn't docked.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tunicate posted:

It was worth 2.2 American units!

:dadjoke:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1702003307038814391

Looks like the Kilo is, if not a total loss, then definitely going to be getting welded back together for the rest of the war.

Keep on drawing down from those limited parts stores, guys!

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
That's one Kalibr shooter out of the war. Good.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

Relocate ships away from Sevastopol to other Black Sea ports where they'll have a longer round trip when going to hit Ukraine, which might make the missile barrages a bit less intense(which might be more likely to happen if this strike also damaged some important port facilities that might make it more difficult to berth and service ships in Sevastopol).

They have already done this. Almost all of their ships are in better protected harbors in Russia. These two were hit because they were drydocked, because Sevastopol is where the only large, operational drydocks in Black Sea are.

PurpleXVI posted:

If the fire didn't spread inside the sub, that might look worse than it is. Modern subs are covered with acoustic dampening materials that are usually very flammable, which is generally not a problem (what with being submerged), but this one was in a drydock, so it burned.

Of course, being in a drydock probably also meant that all the hatches were open, so lol it probably burned throughout.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tuna-Fish posted:

These two were hit because they were drydocked, because Sevastopol is where the only large, operational drydocks in Black Sea are were.

A bit aspirational at the moment to be sure but it'd be pretty great.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Submerging in submarine that had the anechoic tiles burn off the pressure hull is gonna be a no from me, dawg.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

From what I heard, this latest attack was 10 storm sparrows + 3 drone boats in a single combined attack. None of the boats connected, and only 3 of the storm sparrows hit, but that was enough to end the Kilo and the sub.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Submerging in submarine that had the anechoic tiles burn off the pressure hull is gonna be a no from me, dawg.

Did that burn hot enough to gently caress up the heat treatment of the steel hull? I don't know but I'm sure as hell not gonna be the one to find out.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

PurpleXVI posted:

There hasn't been a lot of actual damage to major ships, there was the Moskva sunk, the Ivan Khurs supposedly suffered damage but was towed to an eastern port so it wasn't seen if there really was any, a few "patrol boats"(essentially speedboats with machineguns) have been sunk, some landing craft have been damaged and sunk and now a Kilo has suffered unspecified damage.

But they've still got a dozen missile frigates and corvettes, a half dozen subs and a bunch of other ships of varying types in their Black Sea fleet. As great as it is to see this damage, it's nowhere near destroying said fleet. What's probably more important about these strikes is that they might cause the Russians to either:

Relocate air defense systems to Sevastopol and away from the front lines/other soft targets

or

All you need to do to remove the Russian fleet from the Black Sea is make the commanders believe its too risky to be there. The Ukrainians are doing an admirable job of this.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arrath posted:

Did that burn hot enough to gently caress up the heat treatment of the steel hull? I don't know but I'm sure as hell not gonna be the one to find out.

Does warthunder have submarines yet? Could you honey pot a post on there and get the details?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
A Kilo? That's a heavy loss.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Parkingtigers posted:

A Kilo? That's a heavy loss.

That's a common misconception, a Kilo is a massive loss

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ukraine's gonna be flush after scoring that key.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
what is the technical term for losing a submarine over land?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

OMG OMG OMG I CAN POST THE ORIGINAL

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Überseebootheitsbewältigung

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

bird food bathtub posted:

A bit aspirational at the moment to be sure but it'd be pretty great.

I think there are two functioning large drydocks left. Of course, putting any ships in them might be seen as pretty risky now...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tuna-Fish posted:

I think there are two functioning large drydocks left. Of course, putting any ships in them might be seen as pretty risky now...

I guess the disadvantage is that they can't, well, sail away from the dock? Should probably be pretty similar AD.

Also I couldn't make the awful and obvious Rostov-na-dne joke.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

golden bubble posted:

From what I heard, this latest attack was 10 storm sparrows + 3 drone boats in a single combined attack. None of the boats connected, and only 3 of the storm sparrows hit, but that was enough to end the Kilo and the sub.

Goddamn, wonder if more poo poo hit if those two would have been 'more hosed' or if they had other targets on the menu?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's extremely funny that arguably this whole thing got started on keeping the Black Sea port for the Russian Navy... and the Russian Navy has been repeatedly proving itself largely impotent and gotten a bunch of ships hosed to boot.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

"Hilarious".

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Arrath posted:

Even if it didn’t affect the material strength engulfing it in flames is going to cause things to expand in ways that submarines generally don’t.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

OMG OMG OMG I CAN POST THE ORIGINAL

"Nyet! We know exactly where it is!"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

The Door Frame posted:

That's a common misconception, a Kilo is a massive loss

I appreciates this

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The kilo is no big loss. Kadyrov has plenty of kilos to spare.

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015
I guess the Russians were correct about Zelensky being an addict considering he just smashed a kilo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

It's like shooting subs in a dry dock!