Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I've seen this mentioned a few times and it's always struck me as weird. If I'm a defense guru with a strong defensive team, I'm going to tell my mediocre offense to just bomb it and try to score, since on defense I know I have (relatively) good odds of stuffing the offense or scoring a turnover. If the offense can get ahead then your defense can play more aggressively -- if the offense is just barely even, or falling behind, then there's that much more pressure on the defense to be perfect every drive.

Isn't "bomb it, take risks -- opportunistic defense will get the turnovers" exactly how the '06 Bears made it to the Superbowl?

Defensive Coaches do not want turnovers, as Turnovers means short fields for the opposing offense, and give them less room to work.

It does not make sense to me personally, but it is like a generally well known thing that most defensive coaches do not loving like risky offenses, and want ball control and safe offenses so in their mind the scores stay low and close and they believe they can out execute.

This is largely bullshit, as turnovers are not optimal, but the benefits of pushing the ball down the field are massive, and often outweigh the relatively rare outcome of turnover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The Ball

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Brrrmph posted:

This thread could use more Bears talk.

no bears fans are talking about the 2023 chicago bears we're talking about the 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021 and mostly the 2022 bears. It's the same poo poo every year (except 2018)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
GOTTA WIN THE TURNOVER BATTLE BOB CAN'T HAVE FIELDS OUT HERE HOLDING IT LIKE A LOAF OF BREAD

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like the key thing that defensive coaches always seem to miss is that becoming safe and predictable is often more dangerous than any individual risky throw.

Most Pick sixes are thrown on loving lovely short passing routes. an deep pass interception outside of FG range is functionally barely different than a safe gameplan of run run pass leading to a 3-7play drive and Punt.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dexo posted:

Like the key thing that defensive coaches always seem to miss is that becoming safe and predictable is often more dangerous than any individual risky throw.

Most Pick sixes are thrown on loving lovely short passing routes. an deep pass interception outside of FG range is functionally barely different than a safe gameplan of run run pass leading to a 3-7play drive and Punt.

Right? Monday night Allen threw a deep pass to Diggs that was picked off at the 1 yard line. The Jets went 19 yards and punted after that.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I miss Matt Stafford arm punts

Also holy poo poo Matt Stafford looks *great*

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

HootTheOwl posted:

Nagy will be availabile in a few weeks to QB coach fields.
That's probably his limit given what I saw Thursday Night

I don’t think it’s Nagy’s fault that Kelce got hurt and none of the Chiefs WRs can catch.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Bears did so poorly in game 1 that I can safely ignore them for the rest of the season. :hai:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I’d bet the Jets would probably offer a couple picks to squander for Fields

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I dropped Roger’s and managed to snag Stafford as my backup in fantasy, which is great since I have Goff as my primary

Off topic but I’m omw to Costco for more Hawaiian Blue koolaid

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/startkyIeorton/status/1701990995091501514

If you are gonna flame out Justin, at least flame out spectacularly.

https://twitter.com/CEmma670/status/1701987520181903712

lmao lol laffo

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’d bet the Jets would probably offer a couple picks to squander for Fields

One poo poo o-line and hack fraud Packers OC to another. I guess he'd have a better defense at least.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

This was a nice breakdown, thanks for sharing. Everything looked so bad on Sunday that I think I was too kind to Fields. He really had a rough one out there. Everything about this offense needs to be more aggressive.

Edit: Claypool should absolutely be inactive for a least this week.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SKULL.GIF posted:

Two divisional opponents just played each other and one of them looks like a disaster in the making, no shock there's going to be a lot of discussion about that particular team as half the thread can weigh in.

When the Vikings and Lions play each other we'll probably have a bunch of pages talking about one of them.

They don't play each other until week 15 lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

C-Euro posted:

They don't play each other until week 15 lol

Lol what whack rear end scheduling is that

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think it’s Nagy’s fault that Kelce got hurt and none of the Chiefs WRs can catch.

No, but Nagy called an awful jet sweep on third and the ballgame

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol what whack rear end scheduling is that

And then they play again in week 17!

5/6 of Detroit's divisional games are after their week 9 bye, I'm a little nervous about that.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think the league is still fraudulent and the Lions have a really good chance to kick a lot of non-divisional rear end

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

This is the bizarro equivalent of when the Lions missed the playoffs by losing like every game when the entire rest of the NFC North was starting backup QBs and the Lions were in first place.

Now it's each week the Lions play a team missing their best players... and winning.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Daaaaa Bears

https://twitter.com/danwiederer/status/1701994499369513433?t=ZzR62WwdL85iz0G2VGoW-w&s=19

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Hey Vikings play in like 30 hours again.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I really just want to see how many first overall picks the Bears can keep amassing and then still find ways to have the worst record in football.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

SirPablo posted:

Hey Vikings play in like 30 hours again.

Should be a good game, I'm looking forward to it. And not just because my work schedule has made it so that the only live games I can watch this year are TNF :negative:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Off-topic but I feel like sharing this onion article, they kinda got our asses tbh.

C-Euro posted:

And then they play again in week 17!

5/6 of Detroit's divisional games are after their week 9 bye, I'm a little nervous about that.

I'm pretty happy with the Lions schedule, they're playing a LOT of indoor games down the stretch.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MJeff posted:

Off-topic but I feel like sharing this onion article, they kinda got our asses tbh.

I'm pretty happy with the Lions schedule, they're playing a LOT of indoor games down the stretch.

Cowardly lions hiding from the elements

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MacheteZombie posted:

Cowardly lions hiding from the elements

We have buildings now, because it's not the past.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Should be a good game, I'm looking forward to it. And not just because my work schedule has made it so that the only live games I can watch this year are TNF :negative:

Kirk is going to die against that D-line vs our O-Line

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/Schrock_And_Awe/status/1701988039491195232

:rubby:

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Sunday gave the distinct impression the Bears weren't very well coached, and everything I've heard and seen since has only reinforced that.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

In retrospect the Bears taking a bullet for the Packers didn't just stop at trading for Claypool, it was also by poaching Luke Getsy away from Green Bay ... which directly led to Tom Clements coming out of retirement, which reportedly played a huge part in completely overhauling Jordan Love's throwing mechanics for the better.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It all makes sense if you view this as Poles selling the McCaskeys by telling them he'll re-create the magic of 2006. Bring in a defensive coach who will run the soft cover-2 zone every play. Spent big money to sign his Urlacher and Briggs this offseason. Even wasted a 3rd round pick trying to draft the next Hester.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

:dafuq:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
KJ Wright did a break down of some Lions film, what the Seahawks will be looking for Week 2. This is a pretty drat good watch imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l9rAUqH7k8

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Eberflus is really underwhelming me, my god. At this point I'm expecting him to get fired by the end of the season, maybe even halfway through the season.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Eberflus is really underwhelming me, my god. At this point I'm expecting him to get fired by the end of the season, maybe even halfway through the season.

He feels like Trestman 2.0. Just in over his head. I'd say he should be fired, but money matters to the McCaskeys. What got Trestman fired was enormous outrage by the fanbase. If this team wins 4-5 games and is getting blown out regularly, I don't see how he can survive. Especially when they're begging for taxpayer handouts for a new stadium.

The bigger question will be on Poles. If this looks directionless, might be best to write him off as a lemon and let the new President find his own guy.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Niwrad posted:

The bigger question will be on Poles. If this looks directionless, might be best to write him off as a lemon and let the new President find his own guy.

I would prefer the new president have an edict that requires he keep Poles around for at least one more coaching hire, and the new coach should be required to hang onto Fields for at least one year.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

fishing with the fam posted:

I would prefer the new president have an edict that requires he keep Poles around for at least one more coaching hire, and the new coach should be required to hang onto Fields for at least one year.

The Chicago Bears Special.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I feel like firing any GM after 2 years is too much. The team was pretty crappy when he got them. He's made some questionable and outright bad moves, but some other stuff that will hopefully pay off. The coaching just seems straight up bad right now though. No creativity, guys out there barely giving a poo poo, and just some absolutely clueless poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I am confused that the worst team in the league that got rid of all of their good players and deliberately tanked is bad.