Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

AFAIK none are missable, some of them even update with extra questions like "why are you still doing this if this person is dead / everything is how it is now?"

There are even a few that don't pop up until after you finish the main quest, like in Zarbinzet just up from the waypoint there's a priest looking for his acolyte, and the second you hear the audio log start it's obvious it's the guy who opens the tomb and summons Lilith in the intro. Adds some extra nuance to why he made the choice he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023

Bobby Deluxe posted:

AFAIK none are missable, some of them even update with extra questions like "why are you still doing this if this person is dead / everything is how it is now?"

There are even a few that don't pop up until after you finish the main quest, like in Zarbinzet just up from the waypoint there's a priest looking for his acolyte, and the second you hear the audio log start it's obvious it's the guy who opens the tomb and summons Lilith in the intro. Adds some extra nuance to why he made the choice he did.

Ah, thank you. I'll just run through the campaign then.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Despacho posted:

Quick question, are the sidequests missable? I'm thinking of running through the campaign and then coming back to finish the sidequests, will some become unavailable if I do this? Information online is confusing.

No they are not missable. They are there whether you like it or not, with their blue exclamation marks, daring you to listen to yet another miserable tale.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Some are cool, helping the swamp witch face the shade of Andariel was good because that fight is good. Post campaign of course.

Ubers when

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023

Vic posted:

No they are not missable. They are there whether you like it or not, with their blue exclamation marks, daring you to listen to yet another miserable tale.

Some don't have a blue exclamation mark before you find them. Those are the worst.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
my personal favorites are the ones you can only get from mining specific nodes out in the world map with zero indication on which nodes they are

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Tonetta posted:

my personal favorites are the ones you can only get from mining specific nodes out in the world map with zero indication on which nodes they are

They are random drops.

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023

Tonetta posted:

and AND what if you don't have a method to keep track of those quests, and then don't remember if you did them? Would you like that?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Why do you care? You’re not supposed to be clearing all of them. They’re meant to be little changes of pace you stumble across along the way.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

A few offer title rewards and completionist tics for achievements. In theory they also offer meaningful yellows for alts, but Blizzard forgot to make them meaningful. I can only hope they unlocked rare or unique mogs when I fed them to the blacksmith.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Doomykins posted:

A few offer title rewards and completionist tics for achievements. In theory they also offer meaningful yellows for alts, but Blizzard forgot to make them meaningful. I can only hope they unlocked rare or unique mogs when I fed them to the blacksmith.

Some of these do make me chuckle. "You've rebuilt our clan's ancient axe relic, that has rallied us through suffering untold across ages unknown. I think you should have-" *immediately melts it at the blacksmith*

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

American McGay posted:

Why do you care? You’re not supposed to be clearing all of them. They’re meant to be little changes of pace you stumble across along the way.

They provide renown, so they are part of the grind.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Doomykins posted:

No, you get herbs as a reward.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The ones you come across naturally are more than enough to fulfill your renown requirements.

Despacho
Mar 22, 2023

American McGay posted:

I don't like to see 34/35 in my little bar thingy, is all. It's probably wouldn't be much effort adding that, I mean, you already have a quest thing in the codex.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You'd think single handedly killing Lilith would grant you all the renown you could possibly want.

"Remember that guy who helped Uncle Jimbo when he fell down the latrine full of spiders?"
"You mean The Savior? Vanquisher of Demonic Legions?"
"Yeah that guy I guess."
"What about him?"
"He emptied my dog's anal glands this morning. He's really nice."

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

American McGay posted:

Guess I missed the game telling me what I am and am not supposed to do.

Why do you care?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The game told you you’re not supposed to obsessively find and complete every single side quest by not providing a checklist of every single side quest available. Hth.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

But they also included the X-1/X tracker so that I can know it's there? :v:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm not sure 'obsessive' is the best term to be using in a game where people spend hundreds of thousands of gold to move a 2.5% bonus in one thing to a 2.5% bonus in something else.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Eh it's got Good Bones.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They are random drops.

not fully. usually you have to mine nodes/pick flowers in a certain subzone. in fractured peaks, it’s one of the most western subzones. some flowers quest items only come from a particular node, like reddamine or whatever, and will not drop from anything else in that area. no indication in game on this though

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

American McGay posted:

The game told you you’re not supposed to obsessively find and complete every single side quest by not providing a checklist of every single side quest available. Hth.

yet there's achievements for it with titles and a tracker that is staring back at you any time you open the map

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

American McGay posted:

Why do you care? You’re not supposed to be clearing all of them.

"You're not supposed to do all the content that's in the game" when the game tells you that you're missing stuff and has lil rewards for you when you do :psyduck:

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

KazigluBey posted:

"You're not supposed to do all the content that's in the game" when the game tells you that you're missing stuff and has lil rewards for you when you do :psyduck:

C'mon, we all know what he does here. It's all he's ever done here. And it's all he will continue to do. I honestly hope this is a forum persona and not a cry for help. :ohdear:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
ARe you guys talking about those renown freebies where you hit a node and get a Geode of Questing that you go hand in to a villager somewhere and get a reward cache?

To each their own but I really can't imagine why people would spend time trying to get those to drop vs just getting it to drop some time naturally... They're not like... I dunno... particularly fun? There's no quest, boss etc

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

ARe you guys talking about those renown freebies where you hit a node and get a Geode of Questing that you go hand in to a villager somewhere and get a reward cache?

To each their own but I really can't imagine why people would spend time trying to get those to drop vs just getting it to drop some time naturally... They're not like... I dunno... particularly fun? There's no quest, boss etc

I always end up finding them during Helltides in those weird hell-gooped mineral nodes and the flower tree thing. I kinda like stuff like that, honestly, and wouldn't mind having more little random drops be cool quest turn-ins for things. Maybe some cool throwback lore snippets or something?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They're talking about doing every quest in the game once.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My best advice to them is to run multiple quests at the same time rather than picking 1x to target, doing it, and then moving on to next 1x quest

Instead of hitting rocks in the desert until Quest Rock reveals itself, work on the quest to harvest 15 Spider Taints in the desert and hit the rocks while you're there. Bam! Quest Rock

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My best advice to them is to run multiple quests at the same time rather than picking 1x to target, doing it, and then moving on to next 1x quest

Instead of hitting rocks in the desert until Quest Rock reveals itself, work on the quest to harvest 15 Spider Taints in the desert and hit the rocks while you're there. Bam! Quest Rock

Are there people who DON'T load up on as many quests in an area as possible and try to double or triple dip on everything you're doing? Who are these crazy people and why are they playing this highly elaborate cookie clicker number upper game?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I like game

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
unless you are exhaustively running around the open world, which even now is especially wild, you will not naturally find or finish all the quests. i got the 100,000 obols and 100 whisper caches done as well as finishing all blue exclamation marks while getting to level 100 on HC and SC in preseason and S1 and i still did not find every quest naturally. there were 2-5 per zone that you can either randomly do stuff in the hopes to find them. or you can look up the quest starter location/trigger, see that it is in an area with nothing unique or any other reason you would go there, and then click on the first node/mob/corpse you e see and start the quest

it is not worth doing and there are no worthwhile rewards for doing so but i did it because brain worms. but acting like it’s easy to just find them all naturally is pretty disingenuous

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

American McGay posted:

Thanks gamer Grandpa.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Reminder that you don't need maximally efficient time to effort ratio minmax worthy in game rewards to justify trying everything in a game to check it out. :v: Maybe I talked to John the Suffering Peasant because he leads to a really good storyline or even a good joke. Remembering the guy in the stockade in act 1? Hah.

Ideally there should be a payoff, even an emotional story beat(and in this type of game meaningful gear/loot wouldn't hurt) but if it's in the game then yeah I wanna try it and if it's total filler/not worth doing to 100% of the playerbase hey great cool glad the devs wasted their time.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Doomykins posted:

Remembering the guy in the stockade in act 1? Hah.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Vic posted:

You'd think single handedly killing Lilith would grant you all the renown you could possibly want.

"Remember that guy who helped Uncle Jimbo when he fell down the latrine full of spiders?"
"You mean The Savior? Vanquisher of Demonic Legions?"
"Yeah that guy I guess."
"What about him?"
"He emptied my dog's anal glands this morning. He's really nice."

Do you know the members of Seal Team Six by name and by face, those heroes who slayed the Lesser Evil known as Osama Al Kayda? Do you give them your Obol pouch when you come across them in the fields, that they may gather a larger cache? No, you hold your local Chipotle workers in higher renown, and rightfully so.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

harrygomm posted:

it is not worth doing and there are no worthwhile rewards for doing so but i did it because brain worms. but acting like it’s easy to just find them all naturally is pretty disingenuous
I suspect I'll end up clearing them on the casual playthrough I'm attempting with the missus. She genuinely wants to clear them all, which is odd given that she's usually either upset or annoyed by how crushingly depressing they usually turn out.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Do you know the members of Seal Team Six by name and by face, those heroes who slayed the Lesser Evil known as Osama Al Kayda? Do you give them your Obol pouch when you come across them in the fields, that they may gather a larger cache? No, you hold your local Chipotle workers in higher renown, and rightfully so.

Well those Seal Team Six members weren't running around collapsing local economies by selling truckloads of weaponry they personally looted off their kills.

You bet you'd know their names if Obamael got turned into flooring in hell as a result of the operation.

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

EC posted:

Trying to figure out which ring is better for my trample/creeperslide Druid. Obviously the yellow hasn't been upgraded yet, but I'm thinking it'll be better overall? I'm still unsure about how important overpower damage is to this build.

I sort of hate that there's stuff like "+x% critical strike damage with earth skills" but I'm old and like my stats simple.

Have not played in a month so something may have changed but Lucky Hit is #1 prio anywhere it can roll for resets. The rare ring is 3/4 bis, reroll the poison to crit chance and it's an item you'll never replace. I think that imprinted power is bad too?

Overpower is dogshit in every single build except for that one necro build where it's the only stat that matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

remeez posted:

Have not played in a month so something may have changed but Lucky Hit is #1 prio anywhere it can roll for resets. The rare ring is 3/4 bis, reroll the poison to crit chance and it's an item you'll never replace. I think that imprinted power is bad too?

Overpower is dogshit in every single build except for that one necro build where it's the only stat that matters

:question: but bear druids? Is crit still better? Do you have links?