Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Blut posted:

Theres absolutely no guarantee of Azerbaijan expanding into anywhere else. If they do, and if its expansionary noises towards a NATO/EU friendly nation, then there would be realpolitik concerns.

But until that point Azerbaijan is far more useful to both the EU and NATO than Armenia, so nothing will be done. If anything the EU is only likely to deepen its cooperation with Azerbaijan for their gas.

The Armenians made a very bad bet on the CSTO it turns out, they should have joined NATO instead.

yes, that certainly worked out splendidly for georgia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

V. Illych L. posted:

Georgia didn't join NATO. Armenia did join the CSTO.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Owling Howl posted:

Georgia didn't join NATO. Armenia did join the CSTO.

they didn't, but they did try to go that path. as ukraine has tragically demonstrated, there is a fairly substantial period in which your enemy can make moves - even if NATO was originally cool with armenia joining, which would pose a whole set of issues, most intractably with turkey famously having a veto on new members and NATO's general skepticism to admit members with unresolved land border issues.

even if one ignores this, the basic problem would remain the same - their mortal enemy is right there and carries much more weight with NATO than they do. trying to suck up to the americans in, what, 2000? would run into a lot of the same problems as doing so now. russia really is the only power in the region with the ability to protect them from azerbaijan+turkey and any conceivable interest in doing so. i agree that the situation is bad for armenia and i think that making it very clear to the russians that they're pissed at them and are considering some very risky moves unless they shape up is one of a few plays available to them, but the idea that a bet on joining NATO would have any chance on working out for the armenians is just silly.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd say now is a pretty good time to start joining NATO given that almost all of Russia's army is stuck in a quagmire with no end in sight.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

their mortal enemy's patron and close ally have a veto!!!!!!!!

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

V. Illych L. posted:

Thats because Georgia waited too long to join. If they'd joined in '99 with Poland/Hungary/Czechia, or possibly even at the same time as the Baltics/Romania etc in '04, they would have been fine. Or rather better than fine, since they'd have had a guarantee against Putin.

The lesson of Russia's antics in the last 25 years is very obviously now not "don't join NATO, Russian then will respect your borders and won't invade you" its "join NATO as soon as humanly possible or Russia will invade you whenever they feel like it".

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Count Roland posted:

The Azeris would want to become a province of Turkey because... why, exactly?

Not that I expect a coherent answer based on your other posts, but lets see where this goes.

That post you quoted is incoherent, but it is possible that the Azeris would try to take Syunik by force, or at least part of it. It would also lead to political backlash beyond Nagorno Karabakh, just like how no one really cared about Russia taking Crimea, but invading the rest of the country was many bridges too far. And that’s not just the EU which would probably be a damp squib about it. The military in Iran would be none too excited about Azeri expansion, given the huge regional minority they have of Azeris (15-20 million - there are more Azeris in Iran than there are in Azerbaijan). Nagorno Karabakh can easily be played off like an internal dispute, which Syunik really can’t. Otoh autocrats can get self absorbed and idiotic, see: Putin.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Count Roland posted:

The Azeris would want to become a province of Turkey because... why, exactly?

Not that I expect a coherent answer based on your other posts, but lets see where this goes.

It's the end point of Alyiev's political vision.

https://president.az/en/articles/view/59195

quote:

The Turkic world is not limited to the borders of Turkic states. The Turkic world covers a more extensive geography.

The number of Azerbaijanis living in the world exceeds 50 million, and only 10 million live in the independent Republic of Azerbaijan.

The decision of the Soviet government in November 1920 to separate West Zangezur, our historical land, from Azerbaijan and hand it over to Armenia led to the geographical separation of the Turkic world.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah I mean Fishbulbias post is crazy, but Azerbaijan does pose an actual threat to Armenia, and they will definitely occupy Armenian territory and pogrom Armenians if they can get away with it. That's not a statement of Armenian partisanship, that's just fact.

Some sources say they already have, I'll see if I can dig one up.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Blut posted:

Thats because Georgia waited too long to join. If they'd joined in '99 with Poland/Hungary/Czechia, or possibly even at the same time as the Baltics/Romania etc in '04, they would have been fine. Or rather better than fine, since they'd have had a guarantee against Putin.

The lesson of Russia's antics in the last 25 years is very obviously now not "don't join NATO, Russian then will respect your borders and won't invade you" its "join NATO as soon as humanly possible or Russia will invade you whenever they feel like it".

russia has never been the threat to armenia since at least the fall of the soviet union. if armenia tried joining NATO today, even absent the monumental and obvious obstacles against it and NATO having no clear reason to want them in the alliance, it would probably prompt a larger-scale military action by azerbaijan. i have no idea why you're bringing russia respecting anyone's borders into this, it is entirely irrelevant in the case of armenia.

as for the rest of your post, nobody in nato was seriously floating an expansion that far east until bush did in 2008, specifically in regards to georgia and ukraine which had both had colour revolutions and were openly flirting with the americans to the point of georgia eagerly supporting the invasion of iraq. there is no coherent reason to believe that armenia, of all countries, would have a faster track than georgia. this stuff is completely fantastical.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

russia has never been the threat to armenia since at least the fall of the soviet union. if armenia tried joining NATO today, even absent the monumental and obvious obstacles against it and NATO having no clear reason to want them in the alliance, it would probably prompt a larger-scale military action by azerbaijan. i have no idea why you're bringing russia respecting anyone's borders into this, it is entirely irrelevant in the case of armenia.

as for the rest of your post, nobody in nato was seriously floating an expansion that far east until bush did in 2008, specifically in regards to georgia and ukraine which had both had colour revolutions and were openly flirting with the americans to the point of georgia eagerly supporting the invasion of iraq. there is no coherent reason to believe that armenia, of all countries, would have a faster track than georgia. this stuff is completely fantastical.

Russia had never been a threat to Ukraine since at least the fall of the Soviet Union until 2014. The biggest foreign policy lesson of the last 15 years is Russia can very suddenly be a threat to any state they arbitrarily decide all, or part of, should rightfully be part of Russia. NATO membership is the only current guarantee of safety from Russian expansionism.

Azerbaijan in the 1990s was not going to launch a "large scale military action" against Armenia because it started negotiations with NATO. Azerbaijan was in no position to piss off the unilateral hegemon of the time in the US. There is absolutely no evidence that if Armenia had pushed heavily for NATO accession in the 1990s like the Baltics it would have been denied.

As it stands now we have very clear real world evidence that membership of CSTO isn't guaranteeing Armenian security. NATO application may not have worked out, sure, but if it had they'd be in a far better position.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In the 90s Armenia was fighting Azerbaijan in NK so I doubt that would've worked.

As for russia, I don't really have a clear picture of what their position's now is in regards to Armenia. Obviously they're not enthusiastic supporters though, which is why the EU and US have an opening now. I do wonder though if they might be setting up the conditions to annex Armenia at some point under the pretext of protecting them from Azerbaijan, if things get spicier and EU/US predictably chicken out and don't do anything.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

While Armenia definitely has a cultural and historical connection to Russia, strategically, Azerbaijan is also pretty close to Russia.

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blogs/new-atlanticist/russia-azerbaijan-ties-worry-united-states/

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Blut posted:

Russia had never been a threat to Ukraine since at least the fall of the Soviet Union until 2014. The biggest foreign policy lesson of the last 15 years is Russia can very suddenly be a threat to any state they arbitrarily decide all, or part of, should rightfully be part of Russia. NATO membership is the only current guarantee of safety from Russian expansionism.

Azerbaijan in the 1990s was not going to launch a "large scale military action" against Armenia because it started negotiations with NATO. Azerbaijan was in no position to piss off the unilateral hegemon of the time in the US. There is absolutely no evidence that if Armenia had pushed heavily for NATO accession in the 1990s like the Baltics it would have been denied.

As it stands now we have very clear real world evidence that membership of CSTO isn't guaranteeing Armenian security. NATO application may not have worked out, sure, but if it had they'd be in a far better position.

it would have been incoherent as a matter of policy. it's pure nonsense on its face for many, many reasons.

e. like, what you're saying is "a better policy for armenia would've been to simply antagonise their biggest neighbour for no conceivable gain - what they tried isn't working out very well for them, so any alternative would've been smarter"

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 11, 2023

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

it would have been incoherent as a matter of policy. it's pure nonsense on its face for many, many reasons.

e. like, what you're saying is "a better policy for armenia would've been to simply antagonise their biggest neighbour for no conceivable gain - what they tried isn't working out very well for them, so any alternative would've been smarter"

What I'm observing is based on the actual real life comparative experience of ex-Russian sphere of influence territories in the twenty first century. Armenia's decision to stay allied to Russia in the CSTO has resulted in far fewer security benefits than Latvia (for example) has gotten from its pivot to alliance with the US in NATO.

NATO membership has had very obvious gains for every state that has joined, as the ten Warsaw Pact/Former Soviet states who had the option of joining either the CSTO or NATO that joined NATO in 1999 and 2004 decided, and were subsequently proven right.

There was nothing preventing Armenia from pivoting towards NATO in the way these states did. Russia would have been in no position to preemptively invade in the late 1990s to prevent NATO accession, just as it wasn't in territories it regards as far more "rightfully Russian" like the Baltic states.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Blut posted:

What I'm observing is based on the actual real life comparative experience of ex-Russian sphere of influence territories in the twenty first century. Armenia's decision to stay allied to Russia in the CSTO has resulted in far fewer security benefits than Latvia (for example) has gotten from its pivot to alliance with the US in NATO.

NATO membership has had very obvious gains for every state that has joined, as the ten Warsaw Pact/Former Soviet states who had the option of joining either the CSTO or NATO that joined NATO in 1999 and 2004 decided, and were subsequently proven right.

There was nothing preventing Armenia from pivoting towards NATO in the way these states did. Russia would have been in no position to preemptively invade in the late 1990s to prevent NATO accession, just as it wasn't in territories it regards as far more "rightfully Russian" like the Baltic states.

except for nagorno-karabakh, azerbaijan, turkey, common sense and basic geography there was nothing preventing armenia from joining nato, no

you moron

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

genuinely some of the stupidest poo poo i've seen in more than a decade of posting in d&d

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm not super familiar with the details of the history of the area, but it's my understanding that the balance of power swung the other way in the immediate post-soviet era? which is partly why it took three decades before the conflict reignited.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Blut posted:

how is armenia supposed to join nato if turkïye says "no"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

OctaMurk posted:

how is armenia supposed to join nato if turkïye says "no"

or just having existing unresolved disputes ("war") with one of their neighbours

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
nato expansion had been completely irrelevant in the region post georgia and it's only even a part of this conversation because of some wild assertions that it is somehow relevant and because the csto's credibility utterly cratering over the last few years plus other shifts to the regional balance of power

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's a real possibility that if armena had fully left the russian orbit and applied to join nato in the late 90s, the armenian population would mostly be based in los angeles and camps outside tblisi

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So regarding Armenia, I can't exactly say I know much about the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh but there sure seem to be a whole lot of people on Twitter with Ukrainian flags in their handle essentially cheering on Azerbaijan advancing into the region and even punishing Armenia further.

I'm more than a little sceptical about the claims that this is just like Crimea and that Armenia is the cleanly defined 'bad guy' in this scenario, isn't the current Azeri government extremely nationalistic and has been putting the screws on Armenian civilians for years? Is Armenia a plain Russian ally even? I remember reading that they were trying to tilt towards the west before the 2020 war showed that was not going to work.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 12, 2023

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

If you're worried about who the "good guy" is in international politics, check which country has F1 race tracks. It's not that one.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

khwarezm posted:

I'm more than a little sceptical about the claims that this is just like Crimea and that Armenia is the cleanly defined 'bad guy' in this scenario,

Wait, what were you ever reading regarding Crimea where "Ukraine is the clearly defined ‘bad guy’ in that scenario"? Crimea had some reasonable disputes but Russia very clearly signed an agreement in the 1990s to respect Ukraine’s territorial integrity and they did not.

Armenia and Azerbaijan are *both* the bad guys in Nagorno Karabakh. If Azerbaijan invades Syunik then they will be clearly the bad guys in that situation. The Armenians did some heinous poo poo to Azeris in that region over the last 25 years, it’s not ancient history - you can even see on google maps very clearly a giant ring around Nagoeno Karabakh of Azeri cities that the Armenians burned literally 100% to the ground and ethnically cleansed everyone to refugee camps in Baku. The Azeris now are also being awful to the Armenian parts of Nagorno-Karabakh by sieging them.

Anyone posting on Twitter who isn’t a political, major figure, or someone trying to get out local news, is either a bot or a fringe weirdo who doesn’t realize they’re interacting largely with bots, so I wouldn’t worry too much about some people with Ukrainian flag emojis cheering on Azerbaijan.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Saladman posted:

Wait, what were you ever reading regarding Crimea where "Ukraine is the clearly defined ‘bad guy’ in that scenario"? Crimea had some reasonable disputes but Russia very clearly signed an agreement in the 1990s to respect Ukraine’s territorial integrity and they did not.

Armenia and Azerbaijan are *both* the bad guys in Nagorno Karabakh. If Azerbaijan invades Syunik then they will be clearly the bad guys in that situation. The Armenians did some heinous poo poo to Azeris in that region over the last 25 years, it’s not ancient history - you can even see on google maps very clearly a giant ring around Nagoeno Karabakh of Azeri cities that the Armenians burned literally 100% to the ground and ethnically cleansed everyone to refugee camps in Baku. The Azeris now are also being awful to the Armenian parts of Nagorno-Karabakh by sieging them.

Anyone posting on Twitter who isn’t a political, major figure, or someone trying to get out local news, is either a bot or a fringe weirdo who doesn’t realize they’re interacting largely with bots, so I wouldn’t worry too much about some people with Ukrainian flag emojis cheering on Azerbaijan.

i think you're misinterpreting the post. the idea is that the russians are the clear "bad guys" in the ukrainian war, and that accepting this means accepting azeri claims over nagorno-karabakh in a lot of people's minds. this does not necessarily follow, but it does require a bit of work to figure out why (and why it doesn't follow for you) and that has to be legitimate

for me, the answer is simply that this stuff is not and has never been about right and wrong, but about power balances within and between countries. in azerbaijan atm, there's a coalition within to hurt the armenians and the power without to make it happen, so it happens. armenia has not the power without to prevent it on its own and no really reliable protector that can prevent it for them. the azeri coalition within is clearly based on some deeply reactionary impulses and is in the service of a really lovely family regime, and is imo something which we should try to work against.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

i think you're misinterpreting the post. the idea is that the russians are the clear "bad guys" in the ukrainian war, and that accepting this means accepting azeri claims over nagorno-karabakh in a lot of people's minds.

Maybe, but the original post said specifically Crimea and not Ukraine.

I disagree that "perceived rightness vs wrongness" is not factored into international response, even if of course in practice it plays a back role to geopolitical strength. If Russia had only taken Crimea, there would have probably been some grumbling and tut tutting. Crimea Anschluss + Donbas War led to mild sanctions. All of Ukraine War led to massive international outrage. Maybe it is just a question of scale, but if Ukraine had generally-agreeably anschlussed itself to Russia, similar to how Crimea did, I doubt Russian gas would have stopped flowing to Europe. I’m sure Poland would have raised hell but Germany would have shrugged. Just my guess though! Armenia’s claims about Nagorno Karabakh were accepted by literally no country and no one else ever called it Artsakh. If not for the US, I imagine no one would be particularly perturbed if Syria reconquered the Golan Heights, either.

But yeah the Azeri regime sucks and there’s a significant real risk they might try to go past the "kind of reasonable" stage and into war crimes land, as they appear to be doing at least for the historically ethnic Armenian part if NK. I wouldn’t cheer them on by any means, even for the first part of the war where I thought they were more or less correct, given the utter intransigence of the Armenians to negotiate in the last 25 years when they had the upper hand. Before the recent war, Armenia controlled *way* more than the historical boundaries of Nagorno Karabakh.

I also just noticed this Armenia discussion is all in the Middle East thread. RIP Armenian aspirations to ever be considered part of Europe, besides Eurovision.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

It would be comparable to Crimea if the Ukrainian government actually began genociding Russian speakers. NK seceded to defend themselves from genocide.

Saladman posted:

ut yeah the Azeri regime sucks and there’s a significant real risk they might try to go past the "kind of reasonable" stage and into war crimes land, as they appear to be doing at least for the historically ethnic Armenian part if NK.

This already happened in 2020. They killed Armenians who refused to flee before their advance.

:nms::nms:

Azeri special forces found an 82 year old man who refused to flee from his home. He begs for his life in Azeri as the soldier begins cutting.

A crowd gathers to watch the beheading of a 69 year old man who was found in his village. His head is then mounted on a dead pig.

Two Armenian men are captured and then wrapped in Armenian flags and executed in Hadrut.

Others who were unable to escape had their ears cut off.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

FishBulbia posted:

It would be comparable to Crimea if the Ukrainian government actually began genociding Russian speakers. NK seceded to defend themselves from genocide.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khojaly_massacre

Armenians started the ethnic cleansings and butchering of civilians, now the tables have turned.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Nenonen posted:

Armenians started the ethnic cleansings and butchering of civilians, now the tables have turned.

Why did all the Armenians leave Azerbaijan in 1990?

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Great link! You can read there about how Azeri forces were shelling Stepankart from that town, were warned to withdraw, and then interspersed themselves in a column of civilians that got in a firefight with the Armenians. That's still inexcusable on the part of the Armenians but that link can also lead you to further context about the conflict, like when Azeries started lynching Armenians in a Baku once Soviet authority fell apart and Armenia invaded Azerbaijan to protect the ethnic Armenians in the western part of the country.

Despite all that history it would seem like a poor excuse 30 years after the fact for Azerbaijan to continue trying to massacre Armenians within and outside their borders but if it makes you feel good to justify genocide because Armenia joined CSTO you do you.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Nenonen posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baku_pogrom

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumgait_pogrom

I'm not sure Armenia-Azerbaijan is the type of situation where you can easily point to a single event and say "they started it".

poor waif fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 12, 2023

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

except for nagorno-karabakh, azerbaijan, turkey, common sense and basic geography there was nothing preventing armenia from joining nato, no

you moron

The majority of those, or similar (South Ossetia etc), applied to Georgia too, and there was no problem on NATO's end with their potential accession.

Thats some well reasoned, well punctuated, highly intellectual debate style you've got going on there though.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Blut posted:

The majority of those, or similar (South Ossetia etc), applied to Georgia too, and there was no problem on NATO's end with their potential accession.

Thats some well reasoned, well punctuated, highly intellectual debate style you've got going on there though.

What do you mean? Georgia has wanted NATO membership for over 2 decades and they don't even have a membership action plan yet while other countries have gone through that process and gotten membership in a fraction of the time. If that doesn't show that NATO has a problem with Georgian membership I don't know what does.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Blut posted:

when the interlocutor is impervious to reason, insults have to serve

this poo poo is incredibly obvious and only a stupidity bordering on the deliberate fails to even attempt to substantially address it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Blut posted:

those were problems with georgia's potential accession too

you might have noticed that georgia isnt in nato

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Here at NATO, we denounce the idea of spheres of influence, but if you don't join, its your fault when the death squads we helped train behead all of your civilians and render your nation extinct.

Luckily this line of argumentation seems more popular on this forum than in real life

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Owling Howl posted:

What do you mean? Georgia has wanted NATO membership for over 2 decades and they don't even have a membership action plan yet while other countries have gone through that process and gotten membership in a fraction of the time. If that doesn't show that NATO has a problem with Georgian membership I don't know what does.

OctaMurk posted:

those were problems with georgia's potential accession too

you might have noticed that georgia isnt in nato

The rather large problem/road block with Georgia's accession to NATO happened in August 2008. It didn't come from the NATO side.

V. Illych L. posted:

when the interlocutor is impervious to reason, insults have to serve

this poo poo is incredibly obvious and only a stupidity bordering on the deliberate fails to even attempt to substantially address it

These are big claims from someone who apparently can't figure out how to work a shift key like a functioning adult, no?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/13/africa/libya-flooding-storm-daniel-wednesday-intl-hnk/index.html

Flooding in Libya up to 6000 dead with 10000 missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Blut posted:

These are big claims from someone who apparently can't figure out how to work a shift key like a functioning adult, no?
Wow you really got him bro