Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Part of my drive to/from work goes by a busy gas station situated near an intersection of 55 MPH and 60 MPH roads. Today there were two vehicles leaving the gas station when I was driving by - one car wanting to turn right into my lane and a truck pulling a full trailer waiting to turn left across my lane. At first my concern was the car not being able to see past the truck and going, but that concern quickly shifted to the truck turning out in front of me so that I had to slam on my brakes and come to a complete stop. No regard for oncoming traffic (there were other cars behind me, I was first at a green arrow), wasn't even close to having enough room to go, just gently caress you I'm a big truck and want to go.

As it went by I got to see what was written on the trailer: DAKOTA COUNTY SHERIFF

e: Update on needing a navy suit: we went to Kohls and got a suit jacket and pants that were almost identical in price to the Men's Wearhouse one, so I'm covered on wedding suit. I feared we would have to go to the Mall of America where there is both a Nordstrom's and Macy's, but my wife found that instead, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Our team is doing an onsite this week and oh god so much booze

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I completely forgot about the Savannah Bananas coming to town this month to play at the sports complex down the road and just hopped online to check

It was last weekend :(

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

New dahlia has dropped

https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1702006393845260764?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/speederaserhead/status/1701802878883758210

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

This seems good, but my rear end is having trouble learning it. Might just break out graph paper and do it manually.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
Has anyone had luck learning a language with Duolingo or Rosetta Stone? I'm finding that I really need to be able to speak at least basic Spanish to patients, and my 4 years of it in high school just ain't cutting it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Has anyone had luck learning a language with Duolingo or Rosetta Stone? I'm finding that I really need to be able to speak at least basic Spanish to patients, and my 4 years of it in high school just ain't cutting it.

My mom had some luck learning Italian with duolingo for the purposes of being a tourist in Italy before she went. The only time I had decent conversational Spanish I had to take an intensive course where the teacher only spoke Spanish and I was in there for 4 hours a day 5 days a week.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

There are crash courses in Medical Spanish that I would recommend taking, in person if you can find it. I had really good grammar but a limited vocabulary when I started medical school because of fluency requirements in high school, but not having spoken it much since then. I found that having a good vocabulary is a lot easier and goes a lot further than correct grammar. Also, a lot of terms you use aren't going to be covered in a regular class. Using that information, and learning to formulate yes/no questions will take you really far in gathering information and interviewing. Explaining what is going on can be a problem and will take a while.

Of those two, Rosetta Stone is the more proven one. One thing I did was do a "word of the day" type thing for medical words. Learn how to say "shortness of breath" (falta de air), murmur (soplo) and a bunch of other things. Learn the body parts, and the difference between "bladder" (vejiga) and gall bladder (vesiculo). See as many patients with someone who speaks as possible to just listen and learn.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

If I apply for a position that is 100% remote for a company in another state, am I covered by Minnesota's law prohibiting THC testing as part of pre-employment screening? Guessing not, but wanted to be sure. Also I'm used to applying for positions on-site where there is manufacturing, which all do pre-screens. This decidedly is not, so there's a chance it might not even come up :shrug:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Blowjob Overtime posted:

If I apply for a position that is 100% remote for a company in another state, am I covered by Minnesota's law prohibiting THC testing as part of pre-employment screening? Guessing not, but wanted to be sure. Also I'm used to applying for positions on-site where there is manufacturing, which all do pre-screens. This decidedly is not, so there's a chance it might not even come up :shrug:

They will probably not care at all

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

If your job doesn't involve driving a company vehicle who the gently caress does drug testing anymore?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

T-Square posted:

I completely forgot about the Savannah Bananas coming to town this month to play at the sports complex down the road and just hopped online to check

It was last weekend :(

Aw noooo. I love the Bananas and wanna go to a banana ball game so bad

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Air Skwirl posted:

If your job doesn't involve driving a company vehicle who the gently caress does drug testing anymore?

Laughs in federal contracting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MrLogan posted:

I work for USPS and have never been drug tested (thank god).

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The VA drug tests too.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

MrLogan posted:

It's why their tech is poo poo and the work done done by the big contracting/consulting firms is bloated garbage that's half a decade behind what the rest of the world is doing -- they are attracting all the garbo students looking for nothing more than a steady check.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Neil Armbong posted:

It's why their tech is poo poo and the work done done by the big contracting/consulting firms is bloated garbage that's half a decade behind what the rest of the world is doing -- they are attracting all the garbo students looking for nothing more than a steady check.

Federal contractors are not the same as federal employees.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

Every job I've had as an engineer in a manufacturing facility has drug tested, which is four different employers now. When I worked at the gift card manufacturer they didn't hire someone for IT because he failed his drug test. The obnoxious engineer I worked with was all for the guy before that, then suddenly it was "I KNEW THERE WAS SOMETHING OFF ABOUT HIM!!".

My wife has never been drug tested to work as an RT, which is very entertaining weighing the level of potential damage to human life she has doing direct patient care compared to me playing spreadsheets all day.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

They will probably not care at all

For this position I do think this would be the case

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I won’t go into a long ramble like the other day, but my mom’s biopsy came back and her growth is Stage 4 melanoma. I think many of the various scans they’ve done so far have come back with no concern or such (lungs, brain, liver), but they know it’s spread to a lymph node in her groin. The internist on duty depressed her with the news and his thoughts, but the oncologist cheered her up some by saying it’s treatable, it’s good it hasn’t gotten further, and they’ll come up with a plan.

So we’ll see where it goes, and take each day as something special, and I’m hoping she’ll be around a few more years with her grandkids, but still an emotional wreck.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I've never been drug tested for a job, even back when I did some retail work. One of old coworkers did offer to take a drug test with a client after they accused him of taking drugs but I don't know if he actually went through with it. Same client also keyed his car and we got a reminder to always try take state cars instead of your personal vehicle when going out to houses.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I was drugtested once... and it was for volunteer work I was doing at a hospital.

Which was silly, I was touching computers, it would've been pretty hard for me to get into the meds.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kalli posted:

I was drugtested once... and it was for volunteer work I was doing at a hospital.

Which was silly, I was touching computers, it would've been pretty hard for me to get into the meds.

Dennis Nedry got into the embryos that way

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I had to be drug-tested for my current job which does have federal contracts, but my employer also places what I might call too much trust in me to conduct myself as a full-time remote employee so I would imagine that the drug testing is a federal requirement. Said contracts also give us a lot of annoying IT hoops to jump through, but almost certainly keep us afloat as a business. A land of contrasts for sure.

SourKraut posted:

I won’t go into a long ramble like the other day, but my mom’s biopsy came back and her growth is Stage 4 melanoma. I think many of the various scans they’ve done so far have come back with no concern or such (lungs, brain, liver), but they know it’s spread to a lymph node in her groin. The internist on duty depressed her with the news and his thoughts, but the oncologist cheered her up some by saying it’s treatable, it’s good it hasn’t gotten further, and they’ll come up with a plan.

So we’ll see where it goes, and take each day as something special, and I’m hoping she’ll be around a few more years with her grandkids, but still an emotional wreck.

Haven't heard of Good Doc, Bad Doc before. Hope your mom is able to rally, my parents both had their own cancer scares over the last several years but they have fortunately both pulled through.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, sorry to hear that SourKraut. Getting that diagnosis is rough, but at least there's a solid fighting chance with melanoma right? Not like stage 4 lung or pancreas right?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

swickles posted:

The VA drug tests too.

But they can't fire you if you admit in advance you're going to fail it.

You just get stuck in VA punitive video education hell

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I fundamentally don't understand drug testing, if it's something involving machinery where someone could get hurt I don't really care if the guy who just ran over my leg was sober or not, and if it doesn't involve safety, why should I care if my accountant is sober or not? Just do your job and if you're good at it keep doing it and if you aren't you get fired. Also most drug tests will find substance well after the person had sobered up, you test a truck driver for weed on a Monday because there was an accident he could get in trouble because he smoked Friday night and had two days off before he got behind the wheel of a truck again.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Air Skwirl posted:

I fundamentally don't understand drug testing, if it's something involving machinery where someone could get hurt I don't really care if the guy who just ran over my leg was sober or not, and if it doesn't involve safety, why should I care if my accountant is sober or not? Just do your job and if you're good at it keep doing it and if you aren't you get fired. Also most drug tests will find substance well after the person had sobered up, you test a truck driver for weed on a Monday because there was an accident he could get in trouble because he smoked Friday night and had two days off before he got behind the wheel of a truck again.

Drug testing exists to deny workers comp claims.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Air Skwirl posted:

Tonnsssss of companies who try to save on their insurance

Nextera Energy did regularly.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

FizFashizzle posted:

Drug testing exists to deny workers comp claims.

Yes, it's all about insurance. I'm in construction, and the first thing after an accident, aside from getting the guy any medical help needed, is they get drug tested. It's about liability as well since if you're showing up to work high or drunk and then hurt somebody, well that is not going to be fun when that injured party is looking to sue you.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Got the results of a shoulder MRI this morning and I am not a sawbones but I know what "extensive tearing" means :(

quote:

Extensive tearing of the glenoid labrum including the anterior, anterior-inferior, inferior and posterior-inferior portions of the labrum. There is irregularity of the medial attachment of the anterior band of the inferior glenohumeral ligament also likely reflecting sequelae of tearing.

This is from a slip and fall backwards down icy steps back in March

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
The only times I have been drug tested were working for two big east coast based companies, no one west of Pennsylvania seems to care.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Don’t think Ive worked a job that didn’t, but they were all warehouses and the Ports. Can you imagine a Longshoreman using drugs??

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

SourKraut posted:

I'm sorry to hear and hoping for the best for you mom.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SourKraut posted:

That loving sucks.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

Outside of THC, the drugs caught on testing typically wash out of your system in a couple days. There is logic that if you can't abstain for a few days and pass a test, then you are in the territory of having a problem. The real issue is that failure just means no job. Very, very few places have systems to offer help and/or probation for substance use for established employees, let alone prospective ones.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

SourKraut posted:

I’m sorry and hope she can pull through. Lost my mom to cancer many years ago now and it sucks.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

SourKraut posted:

This is awful. Hoping for the best possible outcome for your mom.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

National security jobs/clearances are another example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
We have to drug test for insurance reasons and federal contracts, but the first thing my brother did as CEO was make a handshake deal with the Painters and Carpenters locals that he would always give 30 day warning, since they actually do the testing